ANNSVILLE, named in honor of the wife of J. W. Bloomfield, the first settler, was formed from Lee, Florence, Camden
and Vienna, April 12, 1823. It lies upon the north border of the County, west of the center. Its general surface
is somewhat broken by ridges or swells running east and west, and gradually increasing in height towards the north.
There are indications that at some period a part of this town was covered by three small lakes, the beds of which
are now among the most fertile portions of the town. The east branch of Fish Creek forms a part of the eastern
boundary and flows through the south-east part; the west branch of the same stream forms a part of the south boundary.
Furnace and Fall Creeks are the principal tributaries of the east branch. On the latter, near its mouth, are three
falls, of fourteen, twenty and sixty feet respectively. The streams are all very rapid, affording a more extensive
water-power than any other town in the County. There is a great variety of soil, clayey in the south with small
sections of sand and gravel, while in other parts it is mostly sandy, gravelly and stony.
Glenmore, (p. v.) near the center of the town, contains a tavern, a store, a grist mill, two saw mills, a school
and about a dozen houses.
Taberg, (p. v.) named from an iron-mining town in Sweden, is situated on the east branch of Fish Creek, in the
south part of the town, and contains three churches, viz., Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian; three hotels, six
stores, two grist mills, a large saw mill, including the manufacture of lath and shingles, a bag factory, several
blacksmith and edge tool shops, two wagon shops and several other mechanic shops of various kinds. The population
numbers about 350. In 1809 the Oneida Iron and Glass Company commenced operations, and during the war of 1812-15,
were engaged in the manufacture of shot and shell for the United States. After the close of the war the Company
engaged in the manufacture of hollow ware, until 1865, when the business was discontinued. A large tannery is now
located near the site of the old furnace.
Taberg Station, (p. o.) On the Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburgh Railroad, eleven miles north-east of Rome,is a
Connellsville Station is in the south-west part of the town.
Blossvale is a post-office.
The Annsville and Lee Industrial Association, have a Fair Ground of fourteen acres, including a trotting course
one mile in length, near the village of Taberg. About three miles westerly from Taberg is "The Pond,"
a sheet of water covering about ten acres, surrounded by high banks and dry,.and. having no visible outlet or inlet.
No fish were found in the pond when first discovered, but it is now well stocked with bull-heads and trout. The
surrounding country, known as Pond flill, is the highest land in the town.
The first settlement was made in 1793, by John W. Bloomfield, of New Jersey. He purchased. a large tract of land
and soon built a saw mill and a grist mill. Among other early settlers were Elias Brewster,. Adam P. Campbell,
Nicholas Armstrong and Squire Fairservice. Mr. Brewster was originally from Connecticut. He came to the County
in 1789 or 1790, but did not settle in this town till 1806. His cabin was of the rudest kind; not being able to
afford the luxury of glass for his windows, oiled paper was used as a substitute. His nearest neighbors were about
two miles distant, in the town of Lee. Wild beasts prowled about the forests, and the flocks and herds of the settlers
were protected at night by strong pens and watch-fires. Bears frequently made great.depredations upon the growing
corn of the settlers. As late as 1827 or 1828 they made their appearance in the town and did great damage.
Dr. Samuel Beach has been a resident of the town for fifty years. The population of the town in 1865 was 2,685,
and its area 36,190 acres.