AVA, named from a city in Burmah, was formed from Boonville, May 12, 1846. It is the central town on the north
border of the County. Its, surface is an uneven upland, from 700 to 1000 feet above the Rome level. It, is drained
by Fish Creek, the east and west branches of the Mohawk, Point Rock and Blue Brooks.- Several small sulphur springs
have been found in the town. The soil is a gravelly loam, much better adapted tO grazing than to tillage. "The
Lake," in the southwest part. of the town, is a beautiful sheet of water covering about twenty-five acres,
without any visible inlet or outlet. It abounds in fish, chiefly bullheads.
Ava Corner:, (Ava p. 0.,) situated a little west of the center, contains a hotel, a store, several mechanic shops,
a school house. and about a dozen houses.
The first settlement was made by Ebenezer Harger in 1798, upon the east branch of the Mohawk, about three-fourths
of a mile east of Ava Corners. Zephaniah and Abner Wood settled soon after Mr. Harger. Philo Harger, Benj. Jones,
Lemuel Wood and Justus Beardsley, moved into the town soon after. The first saw mill was built in 1801, by Philo
Harger and Benj. Jones, on the east branch of the Mohawk. At this time the few settlers were nine miles from any
other inhabitants. For the first few years these pioneer settlers endured great hardships and privations. The old
"French Road," leading from Fort Stanwix to Carthage, passed through this town, some portions of which
can still be traced. Several tributaries of Black River take their rise in the swamps in the north-east part of
Mr. Luke Harger, son of Ebenezer Harger, the first settler, came into the town with his father and still resides
there, having been a resident for seventy years. Solomon Bates settled here in 1800; he was from New Lebanon, N.
Y. The first birth was that of Chauncey Harger, in March, 1800. Eli Mitchell has been a resident of the town sixty-one
years, and of the County sixty-five years.
The population in 1865 was 1,121, audits area 23,053 acres.