BOONVILLE, named from Gerrit Boon, agent of the "Holland Land Company," who made the first settlement,
was formed from Leyden (Lewis Co.), March 28, 1805. Ava was taken off in 1846. It lies on the north border of the
County, east of the center. Its surface is a hilly, broken upland, from 800 to 1,000 feet above the canal at Rome.
Black River flows through the north-east part, and Lansing Kil rises near the center and flows south to the Mohawk.
Its soil is a clayey loam, in many places covered with bowlders, and often inclining to sand, much better adapted
to grazing than to tillage. Near the village are large deposits of drift. In the south part of the town is a section
which has received the name of Egypt and is well adapted to grain. There is a gas spring about a mile and a half
west of the village, and a sulphur spring about the same distance south. The latter has acquired some local celebrity.
The Black River Canal Feeder extends from the river at Williamsville, nine miles, to Boonville village, at which
is the summit level; it extends thence along the level two miles, in a south-westerly course, to the ravine of
Lansing Kil Creek; following this ravine a rntmber of miles it reaches the valley of the Mohawk at Western.
Boonville, (p. v.) in the north-west part, on the Black River & Utica Railroad, was incorporated in 1855, and
contains four churches, viz., Episcopal, Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian; an academy, a bank, a printing office,
four hotels, a flouring mill, a tannery, a chair factory, a wash-board factory, several stores and mechanic shops,
and about 1,800 inhabitants.
Hawkinsville, (p. v.) situated on Black River, north-east of the center, contains two churches, viz., German Lutheran
and Catholic, a tannery, a carding mill, a grist mill, a chair factory, and about 300 inhabitants.
Alder Creek, (p. v.) in the south-east part, contains two churches, viz., Presbyterian and Baptist, two hotels,
a tannery and about twenty houses.
Forest Port, (p. v.) in the south-east part, on the line of Remsen, is partly in this town.
The first settlement was commenced in 1795, by Andrew Edrnunds, agent of the Holland Land Company. During the season
a saw mill was erected and other preparations made for the commencement of a settlement. The next. year a grist
mill was erected. In the spring, of 1796 large accessions were made to the settlement, among them were Luke Fisher
and son, Phineas, Silas and Martin Southwell, Asahel and Ezekiel Porter, Aaron Willard, Jacob Springer, Jeptha
King, Hezekiah Jones and son, a Mr. Stockwell, and three young men by the name of King. Lemuel Hough and Daniel
Pitcher were also early settlers. Many of the settlers were in the employment of the Land Company. The Company
erected a store in the spring of 1796, and in the fall a building for a tavern.
The first birth was that of a daughter of Jacob Springer, and the first marriage that of Henry Evans and Elizabeth
Edmunds. The first church (Congregational) was formed in 1805, and Rev. Daniel Smith was the first minister. There
were nine members, five males and four females. The first town meeting was held at the house of Joseph Denning,
and Jacob Rogers was the first Supervisor.
The population in 1865 was 4,228, and its area 43,378 acres.