History of Marcy, NY
FROM: Gazetteer and Business Directory
OF Oneida County, N. Y. For 1869.
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child, Syracuse, NY 1862

MARCY, named in honor of Wm. L. Marcy, was formed from Deerfield, March 30, 1832. It lies on the north bank of the Mohawk, east of the center of the County. Its surface is rolling. Along the river is a wide intervale from which rises an irregular table land from 300 to 500 feet above the valley. Nine Mile Creek flows through the west corner of the town. The soil on the upland consists of a rich, sandy and gravelly loam, and on the flats an alluvial deposit which is increased annually by the spring floods.

Stittsville, (p. v.) situated in the north-west corner of the town, on Nine Mile Creek, is partly in Trenton and contains a church, several mills, the usual number of stores and mechanic shops, and about 250 inhabitants.

Marcy (p. o.) is situated on the line of the Utica and Black River Railroad.

The first settlement was commenced in 1793 by John Wilson, upon a river farm, about half a mile east of Nine Mile Creek. James, Thomas, Isaac and Jacob Wilson, brothers of John, settled here soon after. A Dutchman named Tull had previously settled here and built a log house, eighteen feet square, in which he and his family of twelve persons were living. James Wilson, with a family of six persons, moved in and lived with Tull for several months, when he purchased a lot about one mile north of Oriskany village, upon which he moved. Mr. Wilson cleared a few acres and planted it with corn, adding a bountiful supply of pumpkin seeds. The pigeons pulled up all the corn, leaving only a huge crop of pumpkins upon which man and beast were obliged to subsist the first year. They suffered great hardships, but in a few years Mr. Wilson became a wealthy farmer.

The first death was that of John Wilson, the first settler, in 1793. Mr. Camp kept the first inn, about 1810, and John F. Allen built the first mill, about 1825.

The population in 1865 was 1,517, and its area 19,158 acres.

There are twelve school districts, employing twelve teachers. The whole number of scholars is 577; the average attendance, 201, and the amount expended for school purposes during the last year was $3,469.53.

Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates

All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy