History of Marshall, NY
FROM: Gazetteer and Business Directory
OF Oneida County, N. Y. For 1869.
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child, Syracuse, NY 1862

MARSHALL was formed from Kirkland, February 21, 1829. It is situated in the south part of the County, the south-west corner bordering on Madison County. The surface is a hilly upland, the hills rising from 200 to 300 feet above the valleys. Oriskany Creek flows north-east through the west part. The soil is a fertile sandy loam:

Deansville, (p. v.) situated on the north border, is a station on the Utica, Clinton & Binghamton Railroad, and conrains two churches, an academy and about 200 inhabitants.

Hanover (Marshall p. o.) is situated near the center of the town and contains a church and about twenty houses.

Forge Hollow contains several mills and manufactories, a church and about thirty houses.

The first white settlement was made in 1793 by David Barton, from Connecticut. He was soon followed by Warren Williams, Hezekiah Eastman, Captain Simeon Hubbard and Levi Baker. The Brothertown Indians were settled previous to the Revolution, on a reservation given them, in this town and Kirkland, by the Oneidas. They were the remnants of New England tribes and those of Long Island, numbering about 400. They adopted the English language and some of the arts of civilized life. Most of them left durirg the war, but on their return became quite thrifty farmers. Here they were surrounded by the whites, who offered them the Bible, the Bread of Life, with one hand, and whisky, the “Water of Damnation,” with the other. They chose the latter and gradually dwindled away, some selling out and going to Green Bay, from which place the last of them emigrated in 1850.

The first church (Congregational) was organized June 14, 1797, and was called the “Hanover Society.” In 1801 they built a church edifice which they occupied for forty years, when it was rebuilt.

The population in 1865 was 2,141, and its area 19,415 acres. There are ten school districts, employing the same number of teachers. The whole number of scholars is 404; the average attendance, 190, and the amount expended for school purposes during the year ending September 30th, 1868, was $2,739.85.

Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates

All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy