HEW HARTFORD was formed from Whitestown, April 12, 1827. A part of Kirkland was annexed in 1834. It lies upon the
east border of the County, south of the center. Its surface is level or gently undulating, except in the east part
where there is a low range of hills. Sauquoit Creek flows north through the town near the center. The soil is a.
rich loam, containing considerable calcareous matter.
Hew Hartford, (p. v.) situated on Sauquoit Creek, near the center of the town, contains five churches, viz., Methodist,
Baptist, Episcopal, Presbyterian and Quaker, two cotton factories, a bolting factory, a stocking factory, a flouring
mill, a carriage factory, two hotels and about 1,000 inhabitants.
Washington Mills, (p. v.) on the same stream, a little south of the center of the town, contains a church, a hotel,
a woolen factory, a manufactory of agricultural implements, a wagon shop and about 300 inhabitants.
New York Upper Mills, (New York Mills p. o.) on the north border of the town, contains a church, a cotton factory
and about 200 inhabitants.
Willow Vale, situated in the south part, contains a foundry and pattern shop, and about thirty-five houses. A large
machine shop was burned about a year ago.
Chadwicks, (p. o.) in the south part of the town, contains a cotton factory and the other buildings necessary for
carrying it on.
The first settlement was commenced in 1788, by Colonel (afterwards Judge) Jedediah Sanger. He purchased one thousand
acres of land, about equally divided by Sauquoit Creek, and embracing the whole of the village of New Hartford.
He contracted to pay fifty cents an acre, and within the first year sold one half of his purchase to Joseph Higbee
for one dollar an acre. In 1789 he removed his family to New Hartford, and the same year erected a saw mill, and
the next year a grist mill. Other early settlers were Ashbel Beach, Amos Ives, Solomon Blodget, Salmon Butler and
Joel Blair, who settled west of the village, the last three at "Middie's Settlement." Agift Hill, a Mr.
Wyman, Stephen Bushnell, Oliver Collins, Joseph Jennings, Joseph Higbee, Nathan Seward, John French and three families
of Kellogg's, two of Risley's two of Olmstead's, and Seymour, Butler, Hurlburt, Kilborn and Montague, were also
early settlers. The village and adjacent country made rapid progress for a number of years, both in population
and wealth. The immense water power of the creek was developed, and for several years previous to the completion
of the middle section of the Erie Canal, more business was done at the village of New Hartford than at Utica.
The first child born in New Hartford was Dr. Uriah H. Kellogg. The first church (Presb.) was formed in 1791, by
Rev. Jonathah Edwards, and the first settled minister was Rev. Daniel Bradley. Oct. 26, 1795, Rev. Joshua Johnson
was installed pastor of the church. It is said that the young people, to honor the occasion, held in the evening
an " Ordination Ball." This church erected the first house of worship in the County, and in the State
west of Herkimer. It was commenced in 1793, but not completed until 1796. The first County Court of this County
was held in this church.
Jedediah Sanger, the founder of New Hartford, was a native of Sherburne, Middlesex County, Mass. As has already
been stated, he built the first mills in New Hartford, and in 1796 erected the first grist and saw mills at the
outlet of Skaneateles Lake. He was one of the principal proprietors of the "Paris Furnace," which went
into operation in 1801. In 1805, he engaged in the manufacture of cotton goods. He was a member of the State Legislature
eleven years, and was appointed the First Judge of Oneida County at its organization, which office he held until
The populatIon in 1865 was 3,654 and its area 17,308 acres.
There are fourteen school districts in this town, employing fifteen teachers. The whole number of scholars is 1,396;
the average attendance 390, and the amount expended for school purposes during the year ending September 30th,
1868 was $4,692.96.