SANGERFIELD, named from Jedediah Sanger, was formed from Paris, March 5, 1795. Bridgewater was taken off in 1797.
It was transferred from Chenango to Oneida County, April 4, 1804. It is the west town on the, south line of the
County. The surface is an upland moderately hilly, with a general elevation of from 700 to 800 feet above the Mohawk
at Utica. The streams are small, the principal being the West Branch of Ohenango Creek and the East Branch of Oriskany
Creek. The former has numerous tributaries which flow westerly, upon which are several beautiful cascades, in two
of which the water descends about seventy feet. Bailey's Pond is a sheet of water covering about ten acres, and
lying 200 feet above the Great Swamp. The pond has been sounded with a 120 feet line without reaching bottom. The
Chenango or Great Swamp, commences about half a mile south-west of Waterville, and extends in a southwesterly direction,
until it reaches the south border of the town. It is about one mile in width and was formerly covered with a heavy
growth of pine and cedar, which with judicious use would have supplied the wants of the citizens for many generations.
The soil in the valleys is a rich alluvium, and upon the hills a gravelly loam, affording excellent pasturage.
Hops are the staple product, but grain, wool and cattle are raised to considerable extent.
Waterville, (p. v.) situated on the north border of the town, contains six churches, viz., Episcopal, Presbyterian,
Baptist, Methodist, Welsh Congregationalist and Roman Catholic; a bank, a newspaper office, two hotels, three dry
goods stores, two drug and variety stores, two grocery and provision stores, two foundries, one hop press manufactory,
a brewery, two tanneries, a lumber-yard, a large boot and shoe manufactory, and various other shops and small Manufacturing
establishments. Putman's Hall is one of the finest public halls in the County. It is 47 feet by 100, and twenty
feet from floor to ceiling, and will seat one thousand persons. The block in which this hail is situated is a fine
substantial brick structure, three stories high, with a mansard roof. It was designed by A. J. Lathrop, of Utica,
and constructed by A. B. Cady of Waterville, Population of the village about 1300.
Sangerfield Center, (Sangerfield p. o.) is situated a little north of the center of the town, and contains a church,
a store, a hotel, several mechanic shops and about 250 inhabitants.
Stickwell, in the south part, contains a church, a saw mill, a cider mill, a grist mill, a qheese box factory and
about 125 inhabitants.
The first settlement was made by Zerah Phelps, of Mass., in 1791, on lot No. 42. In March 1792, Minierva Hale and
wife, and Nathan Gurney and wife, came to this town from New Hartford, where they had lived one or two years. Their
conveyance was ox teams and sleds. Mr. Hale settled on a lot joining that of Mr. Phelps, and Mr.. Gurney settled
on lot No. 40, now in the village of Wateryule. In April of the same year, Benjamin White settled on lots Nos.
39 and 40; Phineas Owen, Sylvanus Dyer, Asahel Bellows, Nathaniel Ford, Henry Knowlton, Jonathan Stratton and Mr.
Clark, settled about the same time. An early frost in the fall of 1792, entirely destroyed the corn crop and put
an end to immigration till 1794.
The first birth in the town was that of a daughter of Mrs. Zerah Phelps, in 1792. Seneca Hale, son of Mr. and Mrs.
Minierva Hale, was the first male child born in the town, Jan. 20, 1793. Col. David Norton moved into the town
in 1793, from Arlington, Vermont. He subsequently became the first Justice of the Peace, the first Supervisor,
the first Captain of Militia, the first Colonel and the first Post-master after the post office was removed to
the Center. The first marriage in town was that of Sylvanus Dyer and Hannah Norton, the Col's. oldest daughter.
The marriage occurred October 30, 1793, and every person in town was invited and was present at the wedding. The
season of 1793 was very favorable, excellent crops were produced, and about forty families moved into the town.
Zerah Phelps built the first framed house in town, and Ebenezer Hale the second. No bricks could be procured for
ovens, and the bake-kettle of Mrs. Minierva Hale, the only one in the settlement, became in great demand, hardly
having time to cool. One woman baked in it the flour and meal of forty-two bushels of grain, most of it by the
fire of burning log-heaps near the house. The first store was opened by Messrs. J. & E. Hale, who also kept
the first inn. Polly Dyer taught the first school in Col. Norton's house. The first death was that of Sibyl Knowlton.
The first town meeting was held April 7, 1795, at the barn of Mr. Phelps. Col. Sanger furnished a cask of rum,
in accordance with a previous promise for the name of the town. Dr. Stephen Preston was the first physician, and
enjoyed an extensive practice for more than thirty years. The first religious society was organized in 1797, and
the first settled pastor was Rev. James Thompson, in 1800; The number of members at the organization was 18. The
first church edifice was erected in 1804, on the Green at the Center.
The Baptist church at Waterville, was organized in 1798, and their first pastor was Rev. Joel Butler, who commenced
his labors in 1799. Their church edifice was erected in 1800, on what was then known as the "Green,"
now called the "Triangle," near the center of Waterville. The Episcopal church was organized in 1840.
Rev. F. C. Brown was the first pastor. The Presbyterian church was organized in 1823 with Rev. Evans Beardsley
as pastor. The Welsh Congregational church was organized in 1852, with Rev. Edward Davis as pastor.
Judge Sanger built the first saw mill, in 1793, on the East Branch of Oriskany Creek, and Berjamin White built
the first grist mill on the same stream. The total amount of property assessed in Sangerfield in 1796 was $4,475,
and the tax upon it, including the collector's fees of $5.35, was $108.56. The highest tax paid by any man was
$5.04, paid by Benjamin White. The tax-payers were eighty-five in number.
The population of the town in 1865 was 2,357 and its area 19,463 acres.
There are twelve school districts, employing fourteen teachers. The number of children of school age is 870, the
number attending school 584, the average attendance 253, and the amount expended for school purposes for the year
ending September 30th, 1868, was $3,933.24.