CICERO was originally Township number six of the Military Tract, and at the organization of the county was included
in the town of Lysander. In 1807, it was erected into a town by itself, and included the present town of Clay till
the latter was set off in 1827. Towards the south part of the town is an extensive swamp containing about four
thousand acres, with but little timber, which has been considered, except in a few spots, incapable of recovery
to purposes of cultivation. It is a bog underneath covered by a thick moss, over which a man can walk in the dry
part of the season, and into which a sharp pole may be thrust to the depth of seven or eight feet. The deposit
is a black decayed vegetable matter resting upon a bed of marl. It is not at all unlikely that this whole swamp
may yet be drained and become the most valuable land in the country, as its elevation is twenty-five feet above
the surface of the lake.
There are no streams of water of any note in the town, except the Oneida Lake and River on its northern boundary,
and the Chittenango Creek lying along its eastern border. On this Creek is an excellent water-power at Bridgeport,
part of which is in Cicero and part in Madison county. The surface of the town is usually level, the prevailing
soil being of a rich sazidy loam, and capable of a great variety of productions. The town was originally covered
with a heavy growth of timber, chiefly pine, hemlock, beech and sugar-maple, with considerable cedar and tamarack
in the swampy portions.
Cicero and Clay furnished for many years a large proportion of the barrels used for packing salt at Salina, Geddes,
Liverpool and Syracuse. Such, indeed, was the attention given to coopering that for a long time the farming interests
were in a great measure neglected. At length, however, the timber being exhausted, an impulse was given to the
development of the resources of the soil. This has been followed up with an enterprise and a success which have
made the town one of the first farming sections of Onondaga County. The lands are well improved, and the buildings
show thrift and prosperity.
The first white settler in the town of Cicero was a Mr. Dexter, a blacksmith, who settled opposite Fort Brewerton
in 1790. Mr. Oliver Stevens, father of the late Judge John L. Stevens; settled at the fort in 1789. He cultivated
a garden on the south side of the river, to which he removed in a few years, and died there in 1813. Mr. Stevens
was an Indian trader, and was induced to come here through the representations of his two brothers who had been
soldiers at the garrison from 1756 to 1758. He carried on an extensive trade with the Indians in furs, peltry,
&c., Fort Schuyler being at that time the great mart west of Albany. Mr. Stévéns also kept a
boátm an's tavern; furnishing supplies and other necessaries to those who navigated the lake and rivers.
He sometimes spent his winters at Salina, and there in 1802 his son, Hon. John L. Stevens, was born.
Ryal Bingham settled at Fort Brewerton in 1791, and subsequently removed to Salina, where he was appointed the
first Justice of the Peace.
All the first settlements in the town of Cicero were made along the Oneida River and Lake. John Leach settled at
Cicero Corners in 1802, and for several years kept a tavern in a small log cabin.
Elijah Loomis was the first settler at South Bay, on the lake shore, in 1804, where he purchased a lot on which
He was a Revolutionary soldier and received a pension from the Government. Martin Woodruff settled near him the
same year. Their nearest neighbors were at Brewerton, five miles distant.
Captain John Shepard, who served in the Revolutionary war, drew Lot No. 11, of the township of Cicero, lying on
the lake shore east of Brewerton. At an early day he took possession of his lot, sold part, cleared and cultivated
the rest, and with his family lived upon it till his death, in 1824. He was the only man who occupied a lot in
this town for which he served. He was the first Justice of the Peace in the town in 1804.
The first town meeting for the town of Cicero, (then including Clay,) was held at the house of. Patrick McGee,
at Three River Point, in 1807.Moses Kinne was Moderator; Thomas Pool was elected Supervisor, and Elijah Loomis,
Town Clerk. Isaac Cody was the first merchant in town. He erected a store at Cicero Corners in 1818, filled it
with goods, and did quite an extensive business. Samuel Warren opened the next store in 1825. Daniel Olcott was
the first regular physician; located in the town in 1817, and had an extensive practice. Alexander Cook, Esq.,
settled in the. town as the first practicing attorney, in 1841. In 1820 a postoffice was established at the Corners,
Isaac Cody, Postmaster. The mail was then carried once a week on horseback.
The crossing of the Oneida River at the foot of the lake was a famous fishing ground of the Onondaga Indians
and the crossing place of the great north and south trail leading from the mouth of Salmon River to the Onondaga
country. Here the Indians had a famous fishing village prior to the erection of any fort at this point, called
Techiroguen, and the number of remains found in a mound near the sand-bank, on the north side of the river east
of the plank road, show that it must have been a settlement of considerable permanence. LeMoyne mentions it in
1654 as on the south side of the river, while Charlevoix, in a map published in 1744,
locates it on the north side; showing that at some time between these dates its site had been changed to the north
side of the river. Clark speaking of this place says: "It must have been the place of sepulchre for thousands.
Whether these were slain in battle, or whether it has been a depository for the dead in time of peace, is not easy
to determine, but from the fact that they are the bones of adult persons, and apparently all of males, it is highly
probable that they are the relics of the victims of war."
The foot of Oneida Lake was a station of great importance not only to the Indians but also at a later period
to the French and English. It was the key to the great thoroughfare from Oswego to the Mohawk Valley, and during
the struggles for this territory between the English and the French was regarded by both nations as a desirable
point to be occupied by a strong fortification. The French, through their missionaries, had gained some influence
over the Iroquois, and Frontenac had obtained their consent to build a fort in the Onondaga country; but there
is no evidence going to show that the French ever built or occupied a fort at this point.
The octagonal fort seen here by the early settlers, and known as "Fort Brewerton." was built by the English
during the French War. In 1758, General Stanwix had erected a strong fortress at what is now Rome, N. Y. It was
at the point where the portage was made from the Mohawk across to Wood Creek, connecting thence with Oneida Lake.
The cost of this fort was $266,4oo. Also a stockade enclosure was erected at the same time as a defense against
attacks by the Indians at the foot of the lake. After the reduction of Fort Frontenac by Colonel Bradstreet in
1758, he retook possession of the forts at Oswego, which were again garrisoned. At this time, General Abercrombie
formed the design of erecting a substantial fort to command the entrance to Oneida Lake from the west, as it was
already commanded on the east by Fort Stanwix. A detachment was accordingly sent from Oswego the following year
to cooperate with one from Fort Stanwix; and Fort Brewerton was erected and named in honor of Captain Brewerton,
whose name appears in the papers of that day as an active and meritorious officer. It was garrisoned during part
of the summer of 1759 by Lieutenant-Colonel Bull, and was made a depot of military stores with a small garrison
till the close of the French War, in 1762. During the Pontiac War, it was again garrisoned by a company under Captain
Mungo Campbell, of the 55th Highlanders, and was a place of deposit for considerable military stores. In the spring
of 1764, Capt. Thomas Morris was stationed here for a short time, and during the following summer proceeded to
Niagara and Detroit.
Fort Brewerton was a favorite resting place for the troops passing and repassing from Fort Stanwix to Oswego and
Niagara, and is often mentioned in the diary of Sir William Johnson and other English officers of that period.
When the fort was built by the English it was considered of great consequence to the safety and protection of the
The fort was in a good state of preservation when first seen by the early settlers. Its site is on the north side
of the river, a short distance northwest of the present Fort Brewerton House.
A quarter of a mile east of the fort was built at the same time a mole of huge rocks extending about ten rods into
the river, at the end of which was placed a sentry-box, where a sentinel was Continually posted to watch for enemies
passing up the river. From this position the eye of the sentinel could command a view of the river for a considerable
Within the enclosure and around the old fort have been found quite a number of relics-warlike implements, blacksmith's
forges, wrought nails, the remains of chimneys constructed of small, hard, red brick, &c. Many such relics
were found by the early settlers, and have been exhumed from time to time.
THE OLD BLOCK-HOUSE.
On the site now occupied by the Fort Brewerton House, within the memory of many now living, stood an old dilapidated
"block-house." This blockhouse had no connection with the old fort occupied during the French war, but
was built at a later period for defense against an anticipated attack upon the settlement by the British and Indians
during the disturbances upon the western frontiers, from 1790 to 1794. The British at this time held the garrison
at Oswego. For the purpose of defending the settlements in Onondaga county, block-houses were erected at what were
considered the most exposed points, one at Salina and another at Brewerton. Mr. Oliver Stevens, father of the late
Judge J. L. Stevens, under commission from Governor Clinton, erected the latter, and it was made a depository of
arms and munitions of war while the trouble lasted, and was afterwards used as a dwelling house till 1811, the
military stores having been removed to Albany. The old block-house had a substantial gateway on the side next the
river and was enclosed in pickets made of logs about twelve feet high and surrounded by a trench.
Patrick McGee settled at Brewerton in 1791 and erected the first frame house, which was occupied by him as a tavern,
and afterwards by Jonathan Emmons. It stood near where the Brewerton House was afterwards erected and was a great
place of resort for boatmen and townspeople.
The first school was kept at Brewerton in 1792. It was taught by Deacon George Ramsey, a Scotch Presbyterian. He
died at Brewerton many years ago.
In the spring of 1804, when there were but few huts on the site of the present village, Jonathan Emmons settled
on what is known as the Hoskins farm, Lot No. 9. Here he erected what has been termed the first "mill"
in that region of country for grinding corn in a somewhat primitive style. It consisted of a white-oak stump hollowed
out in the shape of a mortar, with a pestle made of an oaken block, to which a spring-pole was attached. The nearest
mill on the south side of the lake was at Onondaga Hollow, eighteen miles distant. On the north side, at Rotterdam,
Mr. Scriba, from Holland, had erected mills in 1800. The grist mill was sufficient to grind all the grain in the
country for a hundred miles around.
In 1812, Jonathan Emmons opened as a tavern the house formerly built and kept by Patrick McGee. In 1813 he was
authorized by the Legislature to establish a ferry across the outlet of Oneida Lake at Brewerton, which he kept
for many years. Mr. Emmons was the father of eighteen children, of whom the sixth, Samuel Emmons, (born Feb. 24,
1794) is now residing at Brewerton. In 1824, the first bridge was built across the Oneida River at Brewerton. The
next, and present bridge, was built in 1847.
The village of Brewerton was laid out by Orsamus Johnson, Daniel Wardwell, Miles - W. Bennet and Harvey Baldwin,
Esqs., in 1836. Its position at the foot of the lake is remarkably beautiful and healthy, and being surrounded
by a fertile and thriving country, it has grown to be a village of considerable importance. Since 1873 it has been
connected with Syracuse by railroad communication, via the Syracuse Northern Railroad.
Brewerton was incorporated in i 872, the first election of officers occurring on the 9th of September, when the
following persons were chosen:
Hon. John L. Stevens, President; E. N. Emmons, Clerk; William H. Carter, William H. Sherwood, D. H. Waterbury,
William H. Merritt, Trustees.
The following have since served as Presidents of the village: John L. Stevens, 1873 ; F. A. Strong, 1874; Wm.
H. Carter, 1875 ; B. M. Genung, 1876; A. N. Everson, 1877.
The officers for 1878 are: E. N. Emmons, President ; George H. Smith, Clerk; Milton Miller, Charles E. Waterbury,
Monroe Pierce, Trustees; Wm. H. Merritt, Collector; James R. Loomis, Treasurer; Thomas Hughs, Street Commissioner.
Brewerton has a graded school, occupying a brick building, erected in 1855, at acostof$i,ooo. Two teachers are
employed, and the average attendance is eighty.
Fort Brewerton Lodge No. 256, F. & A. M. Chartered January 10, 1852. Charter officers- John Baum, W. M.;
H. V. Keller, S. W.; James J. Anderson, J. W.; with thirteen charter members. Regular communications, first and
third Wednesday evenings in each month, third story, Everson & Loomis' Block, State street. Present officers-F.
A. Strong, W. M.; Wm. H. Merritt, S. W.; M. Pierce, J. W.; J. R. Loomis, Treas.; E. E. Binn, Sec'y ; A. Dickson,
Brewerton Lodge I. O. of G. T., No. 51. Instituted January 5, 1875, with fifteen charter members. Among the most
active may be named C. D. Walkup, Lodge Deputy; V. E. Campbell, Miss Phcebe Klock and Miss Clara Van Warmer. This
lodge, though young is active and vigorous, and for several years has held the Silver Gavel over all the lodges
in the State. Officers-V. E. Campbell, W. C. T.; Almira Cummins, W. V. T.; Miss Aggie Campbell, W. S. Regular meetings
every Saturday evening.
In 1846 a line of steamers, consisting of four boats, named after the four counties bordering on the lake, viz:
the Oneida, Oswego, Madison and Onondaga, was put upon the lake and river by a company at Oswego. Henry Guest was
the first agent, and afterwards William H. Carter. who with Mr. Cushing purchased the remaining boats. The Oswego
is still run by Mr. Carter.
THE PLANK ROAD.
In 1812 the Legislature passed an act to cut a road from Salina to Brewerton through the center of the town.
The expense was advanced by the State, and a tax laid on the lands contiguous to defray it. The inhabitants got
a poor road for what a good one should have cost. In 1845, an act was passed authorizing the company to construct
a plank, timber, or hard surface road, from Salina to Central Square, through Cicero, from south to north. In 1846,
a plank road was completed, being the first of the kind constructed in the United States. The expense of grading,
building and materials, was about $1,500 per mile. Thesituationofthecountry and soil was such that it was almost
impossible to make a permanent road of any other material. No sooner was this road opened than it began to be thronged
with travel. It is safe to say that no other road in the interior of the State has accommodated so great an amount
of travel as this plank road.
On the completion of the Syracuse Northern Railroad in 1873, the plank road was abandoned from Central Square to
Brewerton, and in 1876, from Brewerton to Cicero Corners. The enterprising citizens along the road between Brewerton
and Cicero, at once organized the Cicero Turnpike Company, built a gravel turnpike, erected a gate for the collection
of toll, and now have the best road in the town. The officers of this company are Jos. M. Moulton, President; H.
H. Lawrence, Secretary ; John Moulton, Treasurer; W. D. Wright, Gate Keeper. Its capital stock is $4,600.
The plank road from Cicero to Syracuse is still continued.
The first meeting house in town was built of logs for the Presbyterian Society, at Cicero Corners, in 1819.
A frame edifice was erected in 1830. The first settled minister was Rev. Truman Baldwin, Presbyterian, who served
several years, afterwards went west, then returned and took charge of his former flock. The next organized religious
society was of the Baptists, at Cicero Corners, in 1832. The Methodists next built a church in the east part of
the town, and subsequently others in the Taft Settlement and at Cicero Corners. Previous to the erection of churches,
the different religious denominations held their meetings in log school houses.
THE FIRST CHURCH OF DISCIPLES, Brewerton, is an outgrowth of the religious principles promulgated in this country
by the late Alexander Campbell and others. The views of this distinguished scholar and theologian gained acceptance
in the Baptist Churches at Pompey, Tully and Cicero, as early as 1834, and by some of the leading members of the
latter body, were soon after planted in this village. The first series of meetings for the public advocacy of these
views in Brewerton, was held by Elder Jasper J. Moss, of Ohio, in 1835, and the present church was organized under
the ministry of Elder Josiah I. Lowell, who the year previous had formed the Church of the Disciples of Christ
at Pompey Hill. The Elders of the original 'Church at Brewerton were George Walkup and Lewis Fancher; among the
leading members were Hon. John L. Stevens, James Spire, Ephraim Smedley, Mrs. Ann Emmons, Mrs. George Walkup and
Mrs. E. Manville.
The present church edifice was erected in the year 1851, at a cost of $1,500, and an additional cost of about $700
was incurred for refurnishing and repairs in 1875. The present membership is about one hundred and twenty-five,
with an attendance of one hundred in the Sunday School. The officers of the Church are Jacob Ottman, C. D. Walkup
and E. N. Emmons, Elders; P. VanWormer, Jas. E. Livingston and Martin Emmons, Deacons. Mr. E. N. Emmons has officiated
as Superintendent of the Sunday School for the past twenty years.
THE UNION CHURCH, Brewerton, was built in 1849, by the contributions of gentlemen of the Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian
and Universalist faith. The most liberal contributors were Orsemus Johnson, Wm. Milton, Asa U. Emmons, Alexander
Cushing, J. B. Kathan, Stephen Markham and William Bailey. The cost of the building was about $1,700. It was occupied
in common by the different denominations till 1869, since which it has been used exclusively by the Methodists,
who in that year organized under the pastorate of Rev. Ebenezer Arnold, and expended about $500 in repairing the
church. Since Mr. Arnold's ministry, the following clergymen have officiated:
Rev. E. C. Tuttle, two years; Rev. R. Brewster, two years; Rev. W. Witham, one year; Rev. J. D. Phelps, two years;
Rev. M. J. Wells, one year The present pastor, Rev. E. Lyon, took charge in October, 1877.
The membership of the church is one hundred and forty; Sabbath School, one hundred and thirty; Mrs. H. 0. Johnson,
Superintendent. Trustees: William Telford, William H. Sherwood, Ira Shell, John Young and William Wickham.
Is situated on the Plank Road ten miles north of Syracuse. It has three churches, three stores, two hotels,
two wagon shops, two blacksmith shops, two boot and shoe shops, a saw mill, flouring mill, stave mill and cheese-box
factory. It has two physicians, and the general law business is transacted by Benjamin F. Sweet, Esq., who is an
old and influential citizen, and has been for many years Justice of the Peace.
Some of the oldest citizens now living in the village and vicinity are Noah Merriam, B. F. Sweet, Asahel Saunders
and his oldest daughter, Mrs. Emily Crampton, Daniel Vanaistine, Ambrose Sadler, Robert Lower, Joseph Douglass,
John R. Wright, Barney Rawley, John and Emery Moulton. Addison J. and Henry H. Loomis are among the prominent farmers
and business men.
THE CICERO MILLS steam, flour, saw and stave mills,) are located at Cicero village and owned by a stock company
known by the corporate name of the Cicero Mill Company. Capital stock, S25,000. The mills were erected in 1870
at a cost of $23,000. The flouring mill grinds about 50,000 bushels per annum, custom and merchant flour. The saw
mill cuts about 500.000 feet of lumber annually, and the stave mill about 2,000,000 staves. They are run by steam-power
and give employment to about twenty hands the year round. They are the only mills now in operation in the town.
The officers of the company are: Ambrose Sadler, President; A. J. Loomis, Secretary, and Robert Lower, Treasurer;
who are ex-cfficio Directors, with Daniel Coonley and Emery Moulton, the other stockholders being Samuel Cushing
and Alonzo Baum.
In connection with these mills, I. S. Auborn has a cheese box factory which employs three hands and turns out about
10,000 cheese-boxes a year.
Of late years the dairying business, especially cheese making, has become an important interest in the town
of Cicero. There are three prosperous cheese factories, as follows:
The Cheese Factory of A. J. Loomis, situated one mile south of the village of Cicero, on the road to Syracuse;
established in 1855 ; has two vats, employs three hands, makes 150,000 pounds per annum; owns one hundred cows
and uses the milk of four hundred others. Mr. Loomis has $40,000 invested in the business.
Cicero Center Cheese Factory, built in 1867 by William Sternberg, now owned and conducted by O. J. Daniels, who
manufactures cheese for neighboring farmers. Annual product 50,000 pounds.
William Van Bramer's Cheese Factory, built in 1863 ; manufactures the milk of one' hundred and fifty cows, keeping
forty of his own. The product of this factory is 45,000 pounds per annum, $10,000 capital invested and two hands
employed. It is situated two miles south of Cicero village.
FARMERS' AND MECHANICS' CLUB.
The towns of Cicero, Clay and Salina have a Farmers' and Mechanics' Club, of which the following are the officers,
elected January 5, 1878: President, A. J. Loomis; First Vice-President, E. F. Reese; Second Vice-President, R.
Z. Sadler; Corres ponding Secretary, L. H. Brown; Recording Secretary, J. W. Lawrence ; Treasurer, A. H. Lawrence.
Directors - L. C. Flowers, Samuel Ferguson, Clay; Emery Moulton, H. W. Hanks, Cicero; G. H. McHaron, David Overacre.
FIRST UNIVERSALIST CHURCH OF CICER0. - In 1859, Rev. A. A. Thayer, then residing in Syracuse, began preaching
the doctrines of Universalism in Cicero, and organized a society. At a Conference held in the Fnion Church at Brewerton,
in 1860, Rev. W. W. Clayton, then of Auburn, N. Y., received a call to preach at Cicero and Brewerton, one service
on Sunday in each place. Mr. Clayton accepted and continued to preach till the winter of 1862, holding the morning
service in the Union Church at Brewerton The old Disciples' Church at Cicero was new-roofed and refitted inside
for the afternoon meetings, and a prosperous and permanent Sunday school was organized, Mr. Warren Wright being
In 1862, Rev. Augustus Tibbits became pastor, and with occasional preaching by Rev. Dolphus Skinner, D. D., and
others, the time was filled till 1867, when Rev. John M. Austin became pastor, residing in Auburn and preaching
in one or two other places at the same time. Under Mr. Austin, in 1867, a church organization was effected, some
of the members joining at that time being John R. Wright, Warren Wright, John McCulloch, Mrs. Robert Lower, Mrs.
Ambrose Sadler and Mrs. J. A. Dunham. Mr. Austin continued to officiate as pastor till 1875, since which the church
has been supplied by Rev. J. M. Weeks, Rev. Geo. B. Stocking, and Rev. R. Fisk.
The church in which the services have been held from the first was built in the year 1832 by the Baptists, who
disbanded and sold the building to Hezekiah Joslyn, John Leach and Hon. John L. Stevens. In a few years they sold
it to the First Congregation of Disciples, which was an organization formed mainly of former members of the Baptist
society, who in 1867, under a special act of the Legislature, sold it to the Universalists, the Disciples' organization
having been for some years discontinued. The proceeds of the sale were appropriated to the "Church of Christ,"
of Syracuse. In 1871, the edifice was rebuilt at a Cost of $3,000.
The present church membership is about sixty, with an attendance of eighty-five in the Sunday School.
REFORMED CHURCH, CICERO. - ThIs church was organized in 1835, from a congregation of Presbyterians who had for
many years previous occupied the present edifice. The most prominent persons in the formation of the Reformed Church
were Isaac Coonley, Lott Hamilton, Peter Collier, Ezra Hart, Calvin Hart, Noah Merriam and Mrs. P. Andrews. The
two last mentioned are the only survivors at this writing, (1878.)
Among the pastors have been Rev. Wm. Cranse, Rev. A. W. Seeley, Rev. John Dubois, Rev. Samuel N. Robinson, Rev.
John Gray, Rev. F. Hibbard, Rev. G. W. Hemperly.
The church is at present without a settled pastor. Membership about fifty; Sunday School, seventyfive.
CICERO METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH. - For many years this was one of the North Manlius District charges. At what
time it became a regular charge is not known, but in the year 1850, Rev. Browning Nichols was located at this place,
and for a time meetings were, as formerly, held in the school house, but under his auspices a deep religious feeling
was aroused, and the society was reorganized and in the following year the lot was purchased and church building
erected at a cost of thirteen hundred dollars. Rev. Hiram Nichols was the next pastor. Since then Rev. Nickerson,
Rev. Munger, Rev. Tuttle, G. B. Bush, D. D., Rev. J. C. Nichols and the present pastor, Rev. Ebenezer Arnold, who
also officiates over Stone Arabia charge.
The present membership is seventy-six. Sabbath School attendance eighty-five, Mr. J. W. Jewel is the efficient
and worthy Sabbath School Superintendent. The Trustees are J. Bradford, Daniel Vanalstine and Noah Andrew.
STONE ARABIA M. E. CHURCH. - Situated about one mile west of Cicero Centre, was organized in January, 1845, at
the school house. The prominent members at that time were William S. Fuller, Solomon Wheeler, Harrison Hall, Palmer
Brown, John Wilcox, John Salter, William Van Alstine, Daniel Terpenny, Simon Drusbeck, Seth Hall, Jonathan Houghtaling,
Mary Benedict, Conrad Brought, and Samuel Sizer. In 1847 the present church building was built, and rebuilt in
1869, at a cost of $2,200.
Present membership thirty-seven. Sabbath School attendance sixty. Rev. Ebenezer Arnold, pastor of this and Cicero
charge. This church was originally in the North Manlius Circuit. Present Trustees are John Cranse, S. K. Button
and Ashley Graves.
TAFT METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH was organized by the labors of Rev. Barnard Peck in 1847. Other classes had been
formed prior to this, but had been disbanded. The present church edifice was erected in 1857 on ground donated
by David Tompkins. Among the members of the class of 1847, were Caleb Tompkins, David Borst, John Richmond, John
Bennett and John Taft, from whom the church takes its name. This was part of what was known as the North Manlius
District, comprising six congregations, and is about a mile southeast of Centerville.
The present membership is about forty. Pastor in charge Rev. Joel Houd, who also officiates at Centerville.
BRIDGEPORT SAW MILL AND TANNERY. - This mill stands on the west bank of the Chittenango Creek. It was built by
Benjamin French about 1825, who run the mill until 1854, when the present owner, Oney Sayles, purchased it and
has run it ever since. This is the oldest mill now standing in the vicinity ; it is an old-fashioned upright waterpower
Bridgeport tannery was built in 1825, and was run until 1869. The old building, vats and machinery are still standing
between the mill race and creek, but is unoccupied.
In 1874, Jesse Daniels planted a hop-yard, and in 1877 increased it to four acres, which is now a very thriving
and profitable yard-the only one in the town.
CAPT. VALENTINE DUNHAM.
CAPTAIN VALENTINE DUNHAM was born at Hamilton, Madison County, N. Y., on the 15th of May, 1816, where he spent
his early life with his parents. After traveling extensively through many of the States, he located on Dunham's
Island in Oneida Lake, and since he sold that property, has lived at his present residence at South Bay, in the
town of Cicero. He was married in 1858, and has one son sixteen years of age. He is engaged in furnishing pleasure
boats to excursions, picnic parties, &c., a business which he has followed for the past twentyfive years.
DAVID H. HOYT.
The first founder of the Hoyt family in this country was Simon Hoyt, who settled in about 1628, at Charlestown,
Mass., where he remained about ten years, when he removed to what is now the State of Connecticut. He was the father
of ten children, Walter, the eldest son, being the second generation of the branch of the family which the subject
of this sketch represents was the father of four children ; his second son, Zerubabel, was the third, had six children
Caleb, his third son, was the fourth, had seven children, and his second son, David, born Dec. 3, 1710, was the
fifth; and his family consisted of ten children. David, his third son, who was born April 2, 1744, being the grandfather
of David H., representing the sixth generation of the family, emigrated about the year 1790, to Greenfield, Saratoga
County, taking his family with him, which consisted of three children, his eldest son Jacob, having been born in
Connecticut Dec. 2, 1774. He was married to Nancy Shaw, by whom he had five children, David H. being the fourth
child and the oldest son was born April 28, 1813. His father dying when he was fourteen months old, the responsibility
of providing for and educating the family, befell his mother, and his after success in life must be attributed
to the good counsel and lessons received from her. His early life was passed on his father's farm, till 1836, when
he removed to the town of Cicero, Onondaga County, and in connection with his brother Jacob, purchased one hundred
and thirty-six acres of land, being the same farm on which he now resides. He was married October 5, 1843, to Caroline,
daughter of Bartholomew Andrews, she having been born in Cicero July 13, 1823. The result of this happy marriage
was six girls and four boys; Charles J., Josephine and Hattie, having passed away. Lucy was born April 5, 1846;
Leroy G., July 30, 1849; Ella E., January 21, 1851; ManilC., April 25, 1853; John J., March 25, 1855 ; Alice, Sept.
10, 1857; Frank D., November 7, 1863. Mr. Hoyt has always been an active worker in the Democratic ranks; he is
also a member of the Reformed Church, and has contributed largely of his means for its support. In looking back
over a life of more than threescore years, amongst the many reverses which he has passed through, his widowed heart
mourns the loss of his loving help-meet, who passed away March 22, 1877, mourned and beloved by all who knew her.