REUBEN H. BANGS.
Among the early pioneers of the town of Manlius, none is mentioned with greater veneration than Reuben H. Bangs.
He was born July 4th, 1788, in the town of Williamsburg, Franklin county, Massachusetts. He obtained in his youthful
days a fair business education. In the year 1813, he immigrated to Fayetteville, and immediately after his arrival,
embarked in the manufacture of lime.
By his tact and business sagacity he soon established himself upon a firm business footing. During England's second
fruitless attempt to trample upon the liberties of our country, he entered the American army and was stationed
at Sackett's Harbor. Possessing a mind peculiarly fitting him for the oversight of business enterprises, he took
several large contracts of the State, while the Erie Canal was in process of construction, from which he realized
a handsome profit. His fine executive and shrewd business abilities were early recognized by the State, and he
was accordingly appointed in 1824, Superintendent of the division of the Erie Canal, between Little Falls and Utica,
for a period of two years. He then returned to Fayetteville and engaged in the manufacture of hydraulic cement.
By remarkable foresight and management he built up this business into one of the most important manufacturing establishmants
in Central New York, shipping to nearly every State in the Union.
On January 1, 1815, he married Clarissa Teall, daughter of Dr. Timothy Teall, and sister of Oliver Teall. Her father
fought, with six brothers, in the war of the Revolution six years. He came to the town of Manlius, Onondaga County,
in the year 1791. and became one of its most prominent and respected citizens.
Mr. Bangs was blessed with five children, viz. Anson, at present a resident of the City of Brooklyn, and largely
engaged in real estate transactions on the Potomac River, about thirty miles south of Washington, D. C.; Caroline
L., wife of Horace L. Wheeler. Mrs. Wheeler graduated with honors at the Troy Female Seminary, conducted at that
time by Mrs. John Willard, the daughter-in-law of the celebrated foundress, Mrs. Emma Willard, in February, 1849.
From this time till her marriage she was engaged in the profession of teaching, at the South and West and lastly
at Fayetteville Myron H., one of the proprietors of the hydraulic cement works at Fayetteville, President of the
Farmers' Bank, an extensive contractor, and in every way one of the most prominent business men of Fayetteville;
and Eli T., a United States contractor and, at present, engaged in deepening the channel of Cape Fear. Mr. Bangs
was one of the first directors of the Bank of Fayetteville, (now the National Bank,) a staunch Democrat, until
1840, when he became a Whig and later a Republican, one of the first trustees of the Village, and also of the Cemetery.
Whatever he undertook to do, he always accomplished. When his object had been determined upon, after carefully
weighing it pro and con, he went straight at it, with a steadfastness of purpose that was truly remarkable. During
the last twenty years of his life he made more money than in any preceding twenty years, which indicated in him
a riper experience and a maturer judgment. He was emphatically the poor man's friend. Many prominent business men
throughout the county gratefully revere him as their benefactor when first starting out in life. He died, November
io, 1872, leaving to his children the rich legacy of a pure life.
The subject of this brief memoir was born at North East, Dutchess County, N. Y., on the 11th of September, 1809.
His early life was spent in acquiring the principles of an English education, and working on his father's farm.
He was united in marriage to Julia Ann Collin, a resident of the same town, January 17, 1833. At the close of two
years' residence of married life at the place of his nativity, he immigrated January 17, 1835, to Fayetteville,
and settled upon the farm which he occupied till his death. He was blessed with a family of seven children, only
three of whom are living, viz: Julia Ambrosia, Ambrose, Jr., and Hattie Louise, now Mrs. W. T. Avery. Ambrose,
Jr., now occupies the homestead, called "Maplewood."
Mr. Clark was a very active and efficient business man. In all his transactions he followed the "Golden Rule;"
and no man was ever more truly esteemed for those Christian qualities which should
adorn a true and noble life. He was kind to the poor; always sympathizing with them in their afflictions, and giving
them substantial pecuniary aid, whenever he thought it was needed.
In politics, he was a Whig, until the formation of the Republican party, when he became a most ardent supporter
of the latter organization. Although never solicitous of office, he was frequently entrusted with the discharge
of the most arduous and important duties of his town. He was one of the first promoters and founders of the "Bank
of Fayetteville," (now the National Bank.) He remained a member of its Board of Directors from the date of
its organization till his death, which occurred December 7, 1875.
In his religious views he was a Universalist; and it was the aim of his life to advocate and live up to its doctrines.
He was very genial and fond of relating anecdotes and adventures, which he spiced with more or less wit and humor.
He bore with patient resignation the disease which terminated his life, and with unwavering faith, he peacefully
passed away with the firm assurance of a blissful reunion beyond the grave.
Mr. Hibbard was born in the town of Pompey, March 13, 1803, and is a son of Samuel and Nancy [Pitcher] Hibbard,
His father was born at Kinderhook, Columbia County, N. Y., and came to Pompey in 1796, where he devoted the remaining
years of his life to farming. Mr. Hibbard obtained his education at the common schools in Pompey, with the exception
of one year's attendance at the Chenango Academy at Pitcher Springs. He lived at home until he had attained his
23d year. The summer of the succeeding year, he spent in canaling. He was united in marriage, April 19, 1838, to
Farzina, a daughter of Chauncey and Susan [Briggs] Hinsdale. Her parents were New England people and moved into
the county when they were quite young. She was born in Otisco in 1815, and has proved an invaluable help-meet to
Mr. Hibbard. He bought the farm upon which he now resides, when a young man. He is a Director of the Farmers' Bank
of Fayetteville, and is also connected with the National Bank.
Mr. Hibbard is decidedly one of the most public. spirited citizens of Manlius. The Town Hall of Manlius was built
mainly through his influence, and also the buildings of the Agricultural Societies of the towns of Manlius and
Pompey. He has always
taken a lively interest in the agricultural development of his town.
During the rebellion, Mr. Hibbard was a staunch supporter of the Union cause, and at the last call for troops,
when very little interest was manifested, he helped raise the Second New York Cavalry. Mr. Hibbard is a staunch
Republican. He has persistently declined public office, although in every way well fitted for discharging its duties.
SAMUEL J. WELLS.
Among the substantial business men of the village of Fayetteville, none have a stronger claim to that appellation
than Samuel J. Wells. Beginning with nothing but an honest heart and the morals instilled into his mind at his
father's fireside, he has, by degrees, become one of the best known business men and one of the most respected
citizens of his village. He was born at New Hartford, Oneida County, New York, March 22, 1830, and is a son of
James and Amelia [Lewis] Wells. The first twenty years of his life he spent at home enjoying the advantages of
the best schools in his county. He pursued a course of study at Homer' Academy, Cortland Co., which laid the foundation
of that business education which has been so instrumental in his success. When about twenty years of age he entered
a hardware store as a clerk, in Albion, N. Y., where he remained five years. In the year 1855, he came to Fayetteville
and embarked in the hardware business, which he has continued ever since with grati-. fying success.
He married October 12, 1854, Anna, a daughter of David Collin of Fayetteville, by whom he has been blessed with
a fine family of six children, viz:
Samuel James, David Collin, John Lewis, Paul Irving, Dana Huntington and Anna Sophia.
David Collin is attending Yale College, and is a member of the class of '8o. John Lewis is attending the celebrated
Phillips Academy at Andover, Mass., preparatory to entering Yale. Mr. Wells was formerly a Whig, but became a member
of the Republican party upon its organization.
Upon the organization of the Farmers' Bank of Fayetteville, Mr. Wells was honored with its presidency, which was
a fit tribute to his merit and capacity. This position he held until 1878. He is at present one of its Directors.
Perhaps no man in the village has taken a deeper interest in religious and educational matters, or devoted a greater
share of his time to discharging their duties than Mr. Wells.
JUDSON H. GRAVES, M. D.
Dr. Judson H. Graves was born in Bristol, Ontario County, N. Y., May 22, 1829. He was one of five brothers,
all of whom, with this exception, are now living in Michigan. His father was, in early life, a resident of the
town of Manlius, Onondaga County, N. Y., but moved at the time of his marriage, to Bristol, Ontario County, N.
Y. Although the Doctor had not the advantages of a classical education, he received a good academic education,
and commenced the study of medicine in the office of Dr. Durgan, in the town of Bristol, Ontario County, N. Y.,
in the year 1853. Having received a thorough medical education, he graduated from the University of Michigan in
1858. He also received the degree of medicine from the Syracuse University in 1876. He practiced medicine with
his preceptor until the year 1860, when he moved to Manlius, Onondaga County, N. Y., and commenced the practice
of medicine there. He was married October to, 1861, to Miss Marietta Worden of Fayetteville, Onondaga County, N.
Y. The fruit of this marriage was two children, Carrie Louisa, and Frederick Judson. The Doctor was commissioned
Captain of Co. F, of' the 149th Regiment of New York State Volunteers, October 4, 1862, and went to the front with
the regiment. But owing to a difficulty with the commanding officer of the regiment he tendered his resignation,
giving his reasons therefor as above. His resignation was. accepted by Gen. McClellan, and he was honorablydischarged
from the service. He returned homeand resumed the practice of medicine, where he still resides. In politics the
Doctor is a Republican, and has been a firm supporter of the party since its organization.
CHARLES M. COLE.
Mr. Cole was born in Manlius, Onondaga County May 5, 1821. His parents were Garrett and Catherine Cole. He obtained
a good education,. living with his widowed mother, until he attained his fourteenth year, when he apprenticed himself
to his brother to learn the stone-mason's trade. He: remained with his brother until he was twenty-one; years of
age; and then kept a grocery store at Fayetteville. When twenty-five. years of age, he removed to "Poole's
Brook," on the Erie Canal, where he kept a grocery store about three. years.. When twenty-seven.years old,
he married; and. a year later, bought with his brother. in-law a canal boat and followed boating during that summer.
The next year he lived with his father-in-law and also worked at his trade. He then bought a house and lot of eight
acres, near the" Brook Mill," which he increased by subsequent purchase to thirty acres. At the close
of two and a half years residence upon this place, he again lived with his father-in-law three years more, and
then went into the jobbing business, with Harvey E. Tupper. He built a steam saw mill in Clinton Co., Iowa, which
he traded with forty acres of western land for "the one hundred acre farm on the Central," near Kirkville;
and afterwards bought the place of twenty-five acres upon which he now resides, also twenty-five acres adjoining,
together with a fIne wood-lot of thirteen and a half acres, below Kirkville.
He married, April 20, 1848, Catherine Maybee, a daughter of David and Catherine Maybee of Manlius. They have had
the following children born to them, viz: David M., August 13, 1849; Ophelia, July 13, 1856, died August 18, 1867;
Charley M., April 29, 1860, died March 8, 1862, and Gideon W., September 15, 1862. The oldest son works the farm.
Mr. Cole works at his trade and attends to business matters which pertain to the farm. Heis a strong Democrat,
and has labored in his humble way to advance its principles.
Mr. Cole is upright in all his business transactions, and is well thought of by the community in which he lives.
In religious sentiment Mr. and Mrs. Cole are Methodists, having been members in good standing of the M. E. Church
at Kirkville, the past sixteen years.
C. E. SCOVILLE.
C. E. Scoville was born April 16, 1832, at the old homestead, near Oran, in the town of Pompey. His grandfather,
James Scoville, Jr., moved into the town of Pompey in 1796. His father, Timothy Hall Scoville was born November
9, 1796, and married Esther Allen in 1817 ; spending his days upon a portion of the old homestead. Charles E. Scoville
was the youngest of five children. His mother died when he was six months old. He obtained by diligent study a
good education at Cazenovia Seminary, attending school winters and working upon his farm in the summer.
In 1853 he took a contract of the Binghamton Railroad for building the fence from Jamesville to the Summit, being
obliged to take his pay in second-class bonds, which proved as worthless as the Confederate bonds at the close
of the late war. He was united in marriage, in June, 1858, to Mary P. Gould, a daughter of Jeremiah Gould, whose
honorable connection with the salt and other interests of the county is spoken of in the general history of the
county. Her grandmother was a lineal descendant of General Rufus Putnam. After leaving the railroad he went to
Michigan, staying two years. Upon returning he worked upon his farm in Pompey until 1863, when he sold it and went
to Eagle Village, where he remained till he bought (in 1864) the farm which be occupied till his death, which occurred
May i6, 1875, in his forty-third year, leaving at his death four children, named respectively, James E., Addison
G., Carrie A., and Robert F. He was a man universally esteemed by all who knew him, doing in all his transactions
with the world as he would be done by. His widow and children are occupying the homestead.
ALLEN H. AVERY.
No citizen of the town of Manlius has a stronger claim on public confidence, or is more universally esteemed
for purity of motives and justness of actions, than Allen H. Avery. He was born at Great Barrington, Mass., January
21, 1815, and is a son of Harry and Polly [Chapman] Avery. One of his ancestors, Christopher Avery, a weaver, emigrated
from England about the year 1640, settling in Gloucester, Mass. His grandfather, Miles Avery, was a soldier of
the Revolution, and served gallantly during the seven years of that memorable struggle for freedom. His parents,
when he was a year and a half old, immigrated to Pompey, (now LaFayette,) and bought one hundred acres of heavily
timbered land, at $10.00 per acre. His father closed his long and useful life December 4, 1872, in his eightyfourth
Although Mr. Avery did not have the educational advantages in his youth that the present day affords, yet so faithfully
did he improve his opportunities and leisure hours that he obtained a thorough English education, and taught school
successfully two winters. When he was twenty-one years of age his father gave him $1,000, with which, together
with his own savings, he bought a farm of fifty-five and one-half acres, lying in the town of Pompey. He soon after
sold it to his brother, Egbert I. Avery, and worked his father-in-law's farm on shares five years, when he bought
a farm adjoining his brother Egbert's, and after five years' residence upon it he sold it to his brother. He then
purchased his father-in-law's farm, which he still owns. His present wife, Emeline, is a daughter of Nathaniel
Gillett of DeWitt. His children are named respectively, Mary J., Cora C. and Allen H., Jr.,who has received a fine
education, having attended St. John's School at Manlius, and graduated from Poughkeepsie College.
Mr. Avery is an old Jacksonian Democrat, and has taken a deep interest in political affairs since attaining his
majority. He served as Assessor three years, and won the confidence and respect of his fellow-citizens by his equitable
adjustment of the assessment rolls. Although his party is in the minority, he made a gallant run when nominated
for Supervisor. In the fall of 1871, he was persuaded to run for the Assembly, but, on account of the large Republican
majority, he was not elected. His own town, however, showed their appreciation of his worth by giving him one hundred
and twelve majority, when the Republican State ticket received one hundred and ninety majority.
Mr. Avery has always been very actively engaged in agricultural matters, having been for several years President
and Vice-President of the Agricultural Societies of the towns of Manlius and Pornpey, President of the County Wool
Growers' Association and being, also, a life member and having been Vice-President of the State Sheep Breeders'
and Wool Growers' Association.
Although in his 63d year, his step is as firm and elastic as ever and his mind as clear as in the brightest days
of his youth. He is passing to the close of his useful life surrounded by kind and loving children and an abundance
of means to satisfy his legitimate desires.
J. BEACH BEARD.
In almost every town in the State there are a few aged pioneers, who have undergone the hardships incident to
frontier life, and have founded large families who adorn nearly all the occupations and professions of life. Of
these men J. Beach Beard is a noble representative. He was born at Harwinton, Litchfield county, Connecticut. His
parents were David and Mary [Tomlinson] Beard. He received in early boyhood a fair common school education, and
in the year 1812, came to Pompey, where he attended the Pompey Academy six months, at' the end of which time he
engaged in teaching in Westmoreland, Oneida County, New York, and taught very acceptably two terms.
In April, 1813, he bought a fifty-acre farm, Situated in the town of Pompey, about one mile northwest of Pompey
In 1815, he disposed of this farm and bought another consisting of seventy-five acres, lying one mile north of
Pompey Hill, on the road to Manlius. By subsequent purchases he increased this estate to 500 acres, which he worked
for a period of thirtyfive years. In the spring of 1832, he conducted a store at Pompey Hill, working on his farm
during the day, doing as much hard work as any farm hand he had and in the evening attending to the affairs of
During the summer of 1836, he built a good and substantial stone store at Pompey Hill.
In the spring of 1839, he bought a store at Fayetteville; his son, Beach C. Beard, being manager and Ira Beard,
clerk. His son, Henry L. Beard, conducted the store at Pompey Hill, assisted by Huntington Beard.
In the Fall of 1850, Mr. Beard moved to Fayetteyule. The previous year he had bought a good interest in the famous
In 1851 he built the Spring Mills, at Fayetteville, which he conducted, with the assistance of his sons, till November,
1877, when he retired.
In 1852 he built the first paper mill in the town of Manlius, which he leased for the first five years and since
that time has given the management to his son, Henry L. Beard, and Robert Crouse, the husband of Ellen Beard, his
daughter. Mr. Beard and sons are owners of the Beard Block, which contains many of the most prominent business
firms in the village, which they built in 1852-'53. Mr. and Mrs. Beard, although in their declining years, are
enjoying tolerably good health and are surrounded with every comfort which can render their remaining years enjoyable.
Edward French was born in the town of Sullivan, Madison County, N. Y., November 28. 1801. His parents, Adin
and Chloe (Nettleton) French, emigrated from the town of Killingworth, Connecticut, in the year 1801, and settled
in Madison County, New York.
At the age of ten years, his father hired him out to a farmer for ten dollars per month during the summer months.
In the winter he was occasionally sent to school, but not enough to obtain more than the rudiments of a common
school education. When seventeen years of age he was apprenticed by his father to Jonathan Crampton, of East Guilford,
(now the town of Madison,) to learn the shoemaker's and tanning trade. Having mastered his trade and feeling at
the age of twenty-one, the want of a good education, he accordingly attended an academy for two months, making
such rapid progress as to receive the high compliment from the principal that he had never before had a pupil who
"developed such aptness for learning." In the year 1823, he ran a canal boat two trips, and afterward
engaged with a shoe firm in Pompey, remaining two years, at the end of which time he rented a farm in Manlius,
upon which he worked two years and then bought thirty-four acres of land near the "Green Lakes," which
he increased by subsequent purchases, to 140 acres.
At the close of seven years' residence upon this farm, he sold it and bought the place upon which he now lives.
He married for his first wife, March 20, 1834, Dora Ann Worden, by whom he had six children, viz: George, Julia,
Oliver, Clarrissa, Jonathan and Ellen, of whom only Ellen, George and Julia are living.
In politics, Mr. French is an Independent, haying been for the past fifteen years disgusted with the corruption
of parties and partisans; he has striven in his humble way to put into office the best men, irrespective of party.
His youth was passed in a constant struggle for existence. He is now surrounded with every convenience that can
make his home happy and his mind contented.
The old adage that the "gods help those who help themselves," has been strikingly illustrated in his
life His present wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Tibbetts, is a very estimable lady, and has been his faithful companion for
ELI A. COE.
Eli A. Coe, was born at Smithfield, Madison County, N. Y., April 1, 1819. His parents David and Orra (Ellenwood)
Coe were both natives of Connecticut. His father, when twelve years of age, came with his parents to Madison County,
and devoted himself throughout life to the occupation of farming. Mr. Coe obtained a fair business education, by
diligently improving his opportunities for learning.
When twenty-one years of age, he rented a farm adjoining his father's, of seventy-one acres, upon which he lived
as lessee five years and as owner two years. In the year 1849, renting his farm, he removed to Oneida Village,
where he built a house and a large bakery. At the end of six months he sold the bakery and bought a soap and candle
factory, which he conducted successfully for three years. At the close of eight years' residence at Oneida Village,
longing for the quiet rural life of his earlier days, he purchased a dairy farm, consisting of 128 acres, lying
in Smithfield, upon which he kept twenty cows.
In the spring of 1865, he purchased and moved upon the farm where he now lives, which he has increased from 116
to 141 acres.
He married for his first wife, February 3, 1846, Nancy, a daughter of Ralph and Emily Ellenwood, of Stockbridge,
by whom he had four children, viz.: Ralph E., Minnie A., M. Burton, and Milton F. Ralph is married and lives on
his father's farm; the remaining children are at home.
For his second wife he married, January 12, 1869, Mrs. Adelia Wight. in politics Mr. Coe is a Republican. In the
year 1848, he united with the Baptist Church, and has been a constant and liberal supporter of church interests
since that time. In his domestic relations he is a kind and loving father and affectionate husband. Genial, hospitable
and well-informed, his guests find a very attractive and pleasant reception at his home.
There is no man in the town of Manlius who is more highly spoken of and esteemed than he.
DAVID COLLIN, SR.
Among the few early pioneers of Manlius, still living, is David Collin. He was born at North East, Dutchess
County, New York, April 23, 1794, and is a son of David and Lucy [Bingham] Collin. His.. great grandfather was
a French sea-captain. His father was born in Dutchess County and died at Fayetteville, June 2d, 1844. Owing to
the newness of the country, and the absence of those institutions which accompany civilization, his early educational
advantages were quite limited. Like the fathers of most young men of those days, his father required his services
on the farm, until he was twenty-one years of age, when he gave him 400 acres of wild land, situated within half
a mile of the present village of Fayetteville. He commenced the herculean task of clearing up this immense tract
of land with his own hands. The result of his toil can be seen to-day, in the large beautiful fields which meet
the passer's gaze.
By a rare combination of business foresight the 400 acres were increased to 1800 acres, which he has with an unusually
fatherly love distributed among his large and respectable family. In the year 1817, he married Anna, a daughter
of Ephraim and Mirjam Smith, of Dutchess County, by whom he had seven children, viz: Edmund, Lucy, David, Jr.,
Ira, Harriette, Miriam, and Anna Smith.
In the year 1813, Mr. Collin joined the American army, and served as sergeant for three months. Although he never
cared for nor sought political preferment, he has quite frequently been honored with the most important town offices.
He has been one of the most public-spirited men that the village of Fayetteville has ever had, being one of the
first movers in the erection of the first church and academy in the village. The Water-works Company is indebted
to Mr. Collin in a great measure for its existence.
Many men throughout the town and county attribute their start in life to the generosity of Mr. Collin. In politics
he is a Republican, although his earlier political affiliations were Democratic. Since 1832 he has been an active
member and supporter of the Presbyterian church of Fayetteville. Mr. Collin is still living at the advanced age
of 84 years, enjoying good health.
Silas Bell was born at Glastonbury, Hartford County Conn., on the 9th of June, 1804. His parents, Aaron and
Sally [Olger] Bell, emigrated from Connecticut in the year of 1816, and settled in Fabius, Onondaga County, New
His youth was spent in obtaining such advantages of education as the district schools of those days afforded, and
in working as a farm laborer. When twenty-one years of age, impressed with the feeling that it was his duty to
have a home of his own, he married Hannah Smith, a daughter of Jonathan Smith of Manlius, and bought a sixty-five
acre farm in Truxton, Cortland County, N. Y. He met the first payment of one hundred dollars by chopping cord-wood
at twenty-five cents per cord. In 1830, he disposed of his farm, and moved to Manlius. The succeeding four years
he spent with his brothers-in-law and chopped on their farm during that period over a thousand cords of wood. He
purchased seventy-five acres of land, where he now resides, in 1834, which he increased by subsequent purchases
to one hundred and thirty acres.
Mr. Bell married for his second wife, September 22, 1863, Henriette, a daughter of Chauncey and Charlotte [Huntley]
Arnold, of Sullivan County. Their only child, Nettie Bertha, aged thirteen, is now attending school. By his first
wife he had one child, Jasper A., who died in his fiftieth year, the 26th of August, 1877.
In politics Mr. Bell was formerly a Democrat but at present is a Republican.
For over forty years he has been a member of the Universalist Church. Upon first hearing a Universalist preacher,
he became thoroughly convinced of the truth of the doctrines of the Universalist church.
Mr. Bell is classed as one of- the wealthiest citizens of the town of Manlius.
E. W. WOODWARD.
Mr. Woodward was born in Geddes, April 27, 1825. His parents, John W. and Sophia Z. Woodward, emmigrated from
Unadilla, Otsego County, in the year 1797, and settled in Geddes; there be ing no settlement where Syracuse is
now situated, except in what is now the First Ward. His father, took up Government lands, which he held until 1852,
when he disposed of his property and immigrated to the State of Wisconsin, settling near Milwaukee. He afterward
moved to Appleton, where he died in 1868, leaving a large estate.
Mr Woodward spent his youth at home until he attained his 23d year. In 1853 he bought a tract of land in Wisconsin,
but in four months returned to Syracuse. The next spring he went to Chicago, where he kept a hotel two years. He
subsequently lived alternately in the East and West, until 1865, when he bought the hotel property at Manlius,
which he still owns. He married in 1850, Charlotte P., a daughter of Moses Chapman, by whom he has had four children,
viz.: Florence, Gertrude, Mabel Blanchard, and Linden Dwight Wesley, of whom only Mabel B. and Linden D. W. are
living. In politics he is a staunch Democrat. He has 'never been desirous of public office, although 'often solicited
by his friends to run for different town offices.-