MANLIUS, originally Township number seven of the Military Tract, became one of the towns of Onondaga County
upon its organization in 1794. It was bounded north by the township of Cicero, east by the Oneida Reservation,
south by Pompey, and west by Onondaga Creek and Lake, including all the Onondaga Salt Springs Reservation north
of the old Genesee Road and east of Onondaga Creek, comprising all the present towns of Manlius, DeWitt, part of
Onondaga, and part of Salina, as laid out in 1809. It was reduced to its present limits in 1835. Lot No. 7 of the
original township of Manlius, containing six hundred acres, and drawn by the Literature Fund, was transferred to
the township of Cicero, and registered as Lot 100 in that township, there being originally, by a mistake in the
survey, but ninety-nine lots in Cicero. Lot 100 in Cicero being drawn by a soldier, it was deemed necessary to
supply that lot from a portion of the territory of Manlius; the transferrence of Lot No. 7, adjoining Lot No. 99
in Cicero, was accordingly made, and thus the soldier's land was secured to him, although Manlius lost one lot
of her territory.
The water-courses in the town are Limestone and Butternut Creeks, forming a Junction in the northern part of the
town and emptying into Chittenango Creek, which forms the northeastern boundary of the town. The Limestone enters
the town on its southern boundary in two branches, the East and West, the eastern branch passing through Manlius
This town has a surface of great variety, and contains some of the most picturesque and beautiful scenery in the
county. South of the Village of Manlius on both branches of Limestone Creek are falls which not only furnish excellent
sites for mills and machinery, but which have become noted as places of resort. The fall on the East Branch is
the larger and more important of the two, the channel at the edge of the precipice being about forty-five feet
broad, and the width of the rocky chasm below about one hundred and sixty feet. The fall, including about twenty
feet descent of the rapids above, is about eighty-five feet; the banks rocky and precipitous, formed of different
strata of limestone. On the West Branch the falls are nearly the same height, though the stream is narrower and
there is much less volume of water.
On Lot 56, three and a half miles north of Manlius Village, are the famous Green Lakes or Green Ponds. There are
two of these lakes or ponds, tied together by a small filament of water, which has given rise to the name sometimes
applied to them, "Siamese Green Lakes."
Distinguished geologists think that the deep green color of the water is owing to the partial decomposition of
the sulphureted hydrogen which it holds in solution.
The famous Deep Spring of Indian notoriety is situated on the county line about three and a half miles east of
Manlius Village. It is not only a natural curiosity, but a place of historic interest. Near it passed the Indian
trail from the Oneidas to the Onondagas, before the advent of the white man, as also the first road laid out in
the county. It was the starting place of all the old surveys of the Oneida Reservation and is noted on all the
old maps of the Surveyor-General. It was a noted watering place for persons moving to the western country, and
the trees forming a shade about the place were carved with names, initials and dates. One of the dates on an ancient
beech tree is 1793. At this spring during the Revolution a scouting party of six white men from Fort Schuyler was
surprised and killed by the Indians.
A considerable number of Sulphur Springs exist in the town-one a short distance south of Manlius Village, containing
suiphureted hydrogen, carbonic acid, sulphate of soda, sulphate of magnesia, carbonate of iron and carbonate of
The cavern known as the "Ice Hole," in this town, is near the northwest corner of Lot sixty-nine, and
is a cavity some fifty or sixty feet in depth, containing ice the whole year round.
The first white settler in the original township of Manlius, was Benjamin Morehouse, in 1789 ; in the present
town, the first settlement was made by David Tripp, who brought his family here from Baiston, Saratoga County,
in 1790, and lived in a log cabin about a mile northwest of Manlius Village. The difficulty of subsisting at that
time in a place so remote from settlements was painfully experienced by Mr. Tripp and his family, who, during a
period of three months, were obliged to live on roots and milk, with the addition of a single bushel of corn which
he procured at Herkimer and brought home on his back. His father, an old man, who was an inmate of the cabin, died
in 1792, and his was the first death and burial of a white person in the town.
The first neighbor of Mr. Tripp, in the immediate settlement, was Conrad Lower. He erected the first frame house
in the town in 1792. The floor-boards of his house were brought from Palatine, on the Mohawk; the rest from Danforth's
milL His son made a trip to Oriskany, thirty-three miles east, for nails, and returned with forty-six pounds on
Among other settlers prior to the beginning of this century may be named Caleb Pratt and William Ward, both of
the same year, 1793. Mr. Pratt suffered unusual hardships. Mr. Ward settled on Lot 97, all of which he owned in
1794. He was the first Justice of the Peace for the town upon the organization of the county. The first grist and
saw-mills in the town of Manlius as now organized, were built by him on Limestone Creek.
Captain Joseph Williams, from Connecticut, came in 1795, and bought his land at twenty shillings an acre. He became
a wealthy man, and lived long to enjoy the fruits of his labors.
Col. Elijah Phillips was one of the early pioneers. He settled on the farm owned at a later day by Peter R. Reed,
and held a distinguished position among the early settlers of the county.
ORGANIZATION OF THE TOWN.
The first inhabitants of the town were chiefly from New England.
Scattering families located in different parts of the town from 1790 to 1793, but it was not till 1794, the date
of the organization of the county, that Marilius had acquired much of a name abroad. In that year settlers began
to look towards it as a suitable and desirable place of residence.
The first town meeting was held at the tavern of Benjamin Morehouse, April i, 1794. Cyrus Kinne, Esq., was chosen
Chairman, and Levi Jerome Secretary. The Supervisor and Town Clerk were chosen by ballot, the remaining officers
by the uplifted hand. Forty-two votes were polled, probably all, or nearly all, the voters of the town being present
and casting their votes. The following list was elected: Comfort Tyler, Supervisor; Levi Jerome, Town Clerk; David
Williams and Benjamin Morehouse, Overseers of the Poor; Charles Merriam, Elijah Phillips and Ryal Bingham, Commissioners
of Roads; Reuben Patterson, Ichabod Lathrop, Isaac Van Vleck, William Ward, and Timothy Teall, Assessors; Caleb
Pratt and David Baker, Constables and Collectors; Libbeus Foster, William Ward, Ichabod Lathrop, Reuben Patterson,
Cyrus Kinne, Ryal Bingham, Jeremiah Jackson, Gershom Breed and Letnuel Hall, Overseers of Roads; Aaron Wood, Elijah
Phillips, John Danforth and Jeremiah Jackson, Fence-Viewers.
At this meeting it was resolved, "That no hog shall go at large without a stout ring in his nose, and a yoke
about his neck, extending above the depth of his neck and half the depth below." A bounty of four pounds was
ordered to be paid for the scalp of a full-grown wolf presented by any person to the Supervisor, and thirty shillings
for the scalp of any one under one year old.
Charles Mosely, Daniel Campbell and Isaac Van Vieck were the first School Commissioners chosen for the town, in
1797. A Special Committee was chosen to cooperate with the Commissioners, and directed to divide the town into
school districts. The Committee was composed of Gershom Breed, Elijah Phillips, Jeremiah. Jackson and Caleb Pratt.
The records show no regular proceedings of these Commissioners or Committeemen, and the first organization of the
school districts was very imperfectly made in 1810 and 1811, but in 1835, a more systematic organization was effected.
Lot No. 74, Manlius, had been set apart by the Surveyor-General for gospel and school purposes, and finally sold
by the town May 2, 1814, for $12,114.42. When DeWitt was set off from Manlius the school fund was divided and Manlius
received for its share $7,752.42, the annual income of which was divided among the school districts.
In 1793 Elijah Phillips leased the property known as the " Old Mills," of a Mr. Hamilton, of Albany,
for a term of sixty years. Mr. Phillips, David Williams, Aaron Wood and Walter Worden, erected here the first saw-mill
in the town. David Williams soon sold his share to Phineas Stevens for sixty acres of land. In 1796, Butler &
Phillips built a grist mill a little above the bridge. Clothing works and an oil mill were put in operation afterward
by Deacon Dunham, and stores were kept there, first by Mr. Jones, and then by William Warner in 1811.
The first settler, John A. Shaeffer, a German, established his log cabin on the site of Manlius Village in 1792.
This log house soon after became the first tavern in that village, with Mr. Shaeffer as "mine host,"
and in 1794, during the sojourn of Baron Steuben in this house over night, the first white child of the village,
and son of Mr. Shaeffer, was born. In view of this circumstance, the child was named Steuben Shaeffer, and the
generous Baron gave him a deed of two hundred acres of land in the town of Steuben.
Charles Muiholland, from Ireland, was the next inhabitant. He built his log house near the residence of Mr Pendleton.
The first wedding in the village was that of Nichalas Phillips and Caty Garlock, solemnized by Simeon DeWitt, January
14, 1793. She died in 1824, and Mr. Phillips in 1854.
The first frame house was built by Conrad Lower, in 1792. It stood, till a few years ago, on the dyke leading to
Fayetteville, and was many years occupied by Salmon Sherwood.
The first school house was erected in 1798. It was of logs and stood a little north of Mr. Castello's mill.
In 1801, Manlius Village had six dwellings, one tavern, one store, a doctor, lawyer and blacksmith. It also began
this century with a postoffice, established in the year 1800, and was named "Liberty Square. This name was
soon changed to Manlius Square." In 1804, the village contained about thirty houses, and continuing to grow,
became by far the most prominent business place in the county.
In 1807, an important accession was made to it in the advent of Azariab Smith, who became its leading merchant,
and was for forty years intimately identified with the growth and prosperity of the place. Mr. Smith was born at
Middlefleld, Mass., December 7, 1784. In 1807, he became clerk for his uncle Calvin Smith, at Onondaga Hill, and
opened June 3d, 1807, a store in a frame building on the south side of the turnpike, nearly opposite the brick
store which he afterwards built and occupied. Here Mr. Smith, after a clerkship of only eight weeks with his uncle,
entered upon his successful and distinguished mercantile career. He subsequently entered extensively into the manufacture
of cotton. At the time of his decease he was a trustee of the District School where he resided, a trustee of Manlius
Academy, a trustee of Hamilton College, and a trustee of Auburn Theological Seminary.
In 1824, he was elected one of the Presidential Electors and cast his vote for John Quincy Adams. In 1838-'40 he
was a member of the State Legislature, and was Chairman of the Committee on Claims, and a member of several of
the most important Committees. Mr. Smith closed his active and useful career on the 12th of November, 1846, in
the city of New Haven, whither he had gone to avail himself of medical assistance.
Manlius Village was an important business point before the building of the Erie Canal, as the transportation of
merchandise and other goods to and from the east and west, and the travel both ways centered here by the meeting
of the Seneca and Cherry Valley turnpikes. This transportation and travel was at one time so immense that almost
every other house along the road was a tavern. There were then six or seven large publiö houses between this
village and Chittenango.
Manlius Village was for more than twenty years the center of a large trade from the surrounding country, and was
a driving business place when Syracuse was a dreary swamp. There were a dozen or more stores in the place in 1815.
The Manlius Branch Bible Society was organized at the Presbyterian Church, Manlius Village. May 31, 1821. The first
officers of the Society were Rev. H. N. Woodruff, President; Samuel L. Edwards, Secretary; John Watson, Treasurer;
Eben Williams, William Eager and Allen Breed, VicePresidents, with twenty-six District Directors.
The Auxiliary Bible and Common Prayer-Book Society for the Western District of the State of New York, was formed
by the Episcopalians at a meeting in this village January 18, 1815. Among its officers were Rev. W. A. Clark, Recording
Secretary; Azariah Smith, Treasurer; Jas. 0. Wattles and Ralph R. Phelps, members of the Board of (ten) Managers.
Rev. W. A. Clark was then a clergyman residing in the village; the others, Messrs. Wattles and Phelps, were prominent
citizens. Mr. Wattles was Treasurer of the village in 1816, and H. L. Granger, President. Both of their names are
attached to an interesting note or due-bill issued by the village, and which has been preserved by Henry C. Van
Schaack, Esq. It is in size about five by two inches, printed from ordinary type on plain white paper, now considerab]y
discolored. Across the right band margin is a narrow black border having on it in white letters, "six AND
A QUARTER CENTS," and across the left margin is a narrow ornamental bar. der. The bill reads as follows:
"The Corporation of the Village of Manlius promises to pay the bearer six and a quarter (6½_ cents
in current bank bills, on demand.
Manilus, May 16, 1816.
J. O. WATTLES, Treas. H. L. GRANGER, Pres't."
Hezekiah L. Granger, then President of the village, was a distinguished physician and a gentleman of eminent
talents. He was a brother of Gen. Amos P. Granger. In 1814 he was a member of Assembly for the county, and in 1819
was elected Sheriff.
Mr. Van Schaack has also a twenty-five cent bill issued by the Village Corporation after the date of the one referred
to above. At the head of it is a spread eagle, over which are the words
State of New York," a rising sun at one end and a lion rampant at the other. It reads thus
"The Corporation of the Village of Manlius promises to pay the bearer, on demand, twenty-five cents in current
bank bills, at the office of their treasurer. August 9th, 1816.
J. O. WATTLES, Treasurer."
This bill is still an unpaid debt of the Village of Manlius.
Mr. Wattles was a lawyer of some distinction, and at one time Judge of the Court of Common Pleas. He went to Indiana
over fifty years ago and was soon appointed a Circuit Judge by the Legislature. He died there a highly respected
The following is a copy of a receipt given April 4, 1818, by Uriab Palmer:
"Received of Azariah Smith one dollar in full of all debts, dues and demands, whatever name and nature, from
the beginning of the world to the end of eternity."
There have been published in the Village of Manlius at different times seven or eight newspapers. The first
was the Derne Gazette, by Abram Romeyn, in 1806, at a time when an effort was made to fix the name "Derne"
upon the village. That name, however, slightly modified in pronunciation, got fixed upon the paper, and it was
popularly stigmatized as the "DARNED Gazette." It only lived about a year. The next paper started here
was the "Herald of the Times," May 24, 1808, by Leonard Kellogg. Mr. Kellogg commanded an independent
rifle corps from this village, which served in the war of 1812. The name of the paper was changed by Daniel Clark
to "Onondaga Herald," October 28, 1818. It was afterwards called "The Times," and continued
about three years. June 27, 1821, the "Onondaga County Republican" was started by the since famous editor,
Thutlow Weed. The "Onondaga Republican" was next published, October 27, 1824, by Laurin Dewey. The "Manlius
Repository" succeeded it, and reached its fifth volume under the direction of Luman A. Miller, and for a time
under Mr. Stillsou. Finally, Mr. Fonda published the "Onondaga Flag" for a short time.
AZARIAN SMITH, JR., became a distinguished scholar and missionary in Western Asia, whither he embarked in November,
1842. He. devoted nearly seven years to the most diligent and thorough preparatory study, to make sure his competency
and usefulness in his missionary field. To ensure his greater usefulness as a clergyman, he had, before leaving
his native country, by a proper course of study, made himself a competent physician; and for the same useful purpose,
on his arrival at his field of his future labors, he studied and mastered several foreign languages-Turkish, Arabic
and Armenian. After spending nine laborious years in that distant land he died at the early age of thirty-five.
The editor of a standard review said of him:
"As the author of valuable papers on Mineralogy and Syrian Antiquities, Azariah Smith, Jr., took rank with
the best scholars in the land."
DR. WILLIAM TAYLOR for more than fifty years was a highly successful practicing physician of Manlius, and honored
throughout the State as standing at the head of his profession.
The village was incorporated in 1842, the first President being Robert Fleming. Hiram Hopkins was President
in r843; Jonathan G. Rowland, 1844; J. V. H. Clark, 1845-'46; E. E. May, 1847; Edward Boylston, 1848; Lloyd Remington,
1849- '51; A. H. Jerome, 1852-'54; Robert Gilmore, 1855; Joseph Baker, 1856; E. P. Russell, 1857- '62, inclusive;
D. Higley, 1863-'64; E. P. Russell, 1865; A. H. Jerome, I866-'67; A. A. Wood, 1868; R. Rotenburg, 1869; E. P. Russell,
1870- '71 ; Henry Whitney, 1872; E. P. Russell, 1873; Joseph Baker, 1874; E. U. Scoville, 1875 ; George J. Champlin,
1876-'77. The other Trustees for 1877 were J. W. Moulter, W. L. Scoville, John W. Boylston and W. W. Candee.
In 1834, decisive steps were taken for the establishment of an Academy at Manlius Village. Prominent among those
who zealously entered into this project were Azariah Smith, Nicholas P. Randall and Dr. William Taylor, who were
elected as the first temporary Board of Trustees. Under an act of the Legislature incorporating Manlius Academy,
passed April 13, 1835, Messrs. Smith, Randall and Taylor, together with Silas Williams, Peter R. Reed and the four
clergymen of the village, namely, Algernon S. Hollister, Carlos Smith, David Bellamy and R. Houghton, became the
first permanent Board of Trustees.
Money was raised by subscription and the ground and building known as the "Stone House" purchased. This
was a two-story rough-stone building and in the early days of the village had been occupied for stores, printing
office, and other purposes. To fit it for an academy it was thoroughly overhauled and substantially repaired, the
rooms rearranged and a third story added to it, which was surmounted by a belfry or cupola. Thus changed, it was
a very respectablç and convenient building.
The Academy was opened for instruction in May, 1835, with fifty scholars in the male, and sixty in the female,
department. The catalogue at the end of the first year showed a total. attendance of two hundred and forty-four;
males, one hundred and thirty-nine; females, one hundred and five. In 1840, there were in attendance two hundred
and seventy-four different students, sixty-two of whom studied the languages. It had connected with it an interesting
cabinet of domestic and foreign specimens and curiosities.
The village has now an excellent Union Graded School, with a building remodeled in 1870, containing three rooms,
with accommodations for two hundred and fifty pupils. Prof.. J. D. Wilson, Principal. The school has one hundred
and sixty-one resident, and thirty-one non-resident pupils.
Mr. Hayden W. Wheeler, a former resident and member of the Manlius Academy, now engaged in business in the City
of New York, made a generous contribution of about $1,800, in 1870, towards the enlargement and improvement of
the Union School building, and more recently donated a valuable philosophical apparatus.
MILITARY LODGE No. 93.-We judge from the name and age of this lodge that it got its name from the Military Lands
of this section. Probably there were not enough Masons in either of the counties named to organize a lodge at the
time this one was formed. At all events the first meeting for the organization of Lodge No. 93, Manlius, was composed
of Masons of Chenango and Onondaga Counties, and was held June 30, 1802. The first officers elected were: Caleb
B. Merrill, W. M. Timothy Teall, S. W.; and David Williams, J. W The first meeting under the charter was held November
On the 25th of December, 1830, the lodge was closed on account of the Morgan excitement, until March 25, 1851,
when it was opened with the following officers: illustrious Remington, W. M.; Lloyd Remington, S. W. ; and S. J.
Wilcox, J. W. The lodge was rechartered as Military Lodge No. 215, June 6, 1851. June 26, 1867, the old Number
"93" was restored.
The Masons have held their meetings in Azariah Smith's building since its erection in 1816, at an annual rent of
one grain of barley, on a perpetual lease.
Present officers of Military Lodge No. 93 : W. M. Scoville, W. M.; Joseph Fowler, S. W.; Geo. P. Wells, Jr., J.
W.; Wallace Everson, S. D.; John Ward, J. D.; Chas. C. A. Hale, Tyler.
WILLIAMS CHAPTER No. 72.-Organized Feb. 8, 1854. First officers . Illustrious Remington, H. P.; Jabez Lewis, S.;
Robert Gilmore, K. Present officers- C. U. H. Wood, H. P.; E. S. Card, K.; B. Clark, S.; Charles Hart, T.; W. W.
Candee, Secretary; J. P. Bailey, Chaplain; Geo. P. Wells, C. H.; W. M. Scoville, P. S.; A. S. Balsley, R. A. C.;
George 3. Champlin, 1st V.; D. D. Barnes, 2d V.; Charles Hart, 3d V.; 0. T. Wattles, Tyler. Present number of members,
Good Hope Tent, N. 0. of I. R., Manlius.-Organized January 21, 1876, with Sixteen members.
Present number, forty-eight. James Eastwood, C. R.; John W. Belknap, D. R.; A. C. Haskins, Jr., R. S.; Stephen
Cheney, Treasurer; Clinton Owen, P.C. S.
Alvan March settled here as a lawyer in 1798; after him came R. R. Phelps, Abijah Yelverton, James 0. Wattles,
Nicholas P. Randall, S. L. Edwards and others.
Mr. Randall was a graduate of Yale College in the class of 1803, studied law at Clinton, Oneida County, and settled
in Manlius Village as a lawyer in i8ii. He soon became distinguished in his profession, and till the time of his
death, March 7, 1836, occupied a commanding position among the great jurists and advocates of the State. Judge
S. L. Edwards was also a jurist of distinction.
ST. JOHN'S SCHOOL FOR Boys.
This school was founded in 1869 by the Right Rev. F. D. Huntington, S. T. D., Bishop of the Diocese of Central
New York. The religious services and teaching conform to the order of the Episcopal church.
The School Building, situated on a commanding site near the village of Manlius, is large and capacious and a model
in all its appointments.
The School has aimed from the beginning to keep up the highest standard of scholarship, to provide generally for
the physical comfort and nurture of its pupils, and in its discipline to look constantly to the formation of manly
and self-reliant habits ; and in all these respects it has won an honored and deserved reputation, and stands among
the very highest of the schools of its class.
The trustees at this date, 1878, are:
Rt. Rev. F. D. Huntington, S. T. D., President; Hon. Geo. F. Comstock, LL. D., Vice-President; Chas. Stebbins,
Esq., Secretary; J. W. Barker, Esq., Treasurer; Rev. T. Babcock, D. D., Rector; Rev. J. M. Clarke, D. D., Syracuse;
Rev.. A. B. Beach, D. D., Ithaca; Hon. Chas. Andrews, LL.D., Syracuse; Hon. J. T. Miller, Seneca Falls; James Appleton,
Esq., Manlius; Geo. C. McWhorter, Esq., Oswego; Robert Dunlop, Esq., Jamesville; Dennis Valentine, Esq., Syracuse;
Thos. D. Green, Esq, Syracuse; Levi W. Hall, Esq., Syracuse; H. 0. Moss, Esq., New Berlin.
The Faculty and Officers are as follows:
Rev. Theo. Babcock, D. D., Rector and Head Master; Rev. F. M. Hubbard, D. D., Classical Master; Rev. Wm. F. Hubbard,
M. A., Classics and Mathematics; F. W. Burnham, B. A., German and Music; Jay A. Churchill, Penmanship; S. D. Jennings,
Librarian and Assistant; H. N. Babcock, Natural Science; Julia E. Remington, Matron.
THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION. -President, Jas. 0. S. Huntington; Vice-President, Chas. W. Hogan: Secretary, Walter C.
Devereux; Treasurer, Rob't G. Wynkoop; Coresponding Secretary, Wm. C. Elsbre.
THE MANLIUS AND POMPEY AGRICULTURAL AND MECHANICAL ASSOCIATION was founded in 1849, and holds its Annual Fairs
at the Fair Grounds, beautifully situated adjacent to the village. It has not only been a marked success as an
exhibition of the products of the farm, orchard and garden, and mechanical skill, but has been made the occasion
of grand reunions of the remaining "Old Settlers" and citizens of the town, together with sympathising
thousands from the surrounding neighborhoods. The present officers of the Association are, Charles Hart, President;
Wni. J. Mason and
J. W. Moulter, Vice-Presidents; William Manlius Smith, Secretary and Henry Whitney, Treasurer.
Torrent Company No. 1, organized May 1. 1842; reorganized 1837, also April 6, 1877; forty members ; new hand
engine. Button make. James Jewitt, Foreman; Stephen Cheney, 1st Assistant; Almon C. Haskins, Jr., Secretary; Charles
Eagle Hose-thirteen members. Frank Hale, Foreman ; John Baker, Jr., 1st Assistant; A. C. Haskins, Secretary; Charles
Several Congregational, Presbyterian and Baptist Societies were organized in the town of Manlius during the
years from 1789 to 1803, under the labors of Rev. Hugh Wallace, Seth Williston and Elders Campbell and Breed. The
citizens of Manlius Village during those years, many of them, attended meetings at the" Old Mills." There
are now four churches in the village of Manlius, of whose history we have obtained the following information:
CHRIST CHIIRCH, (Episcopalian) is the oldest church in Manlius. Says Clark's Onondaga:
"The first knowledge we have of anything like a congregation of Episcopalians in this vicinity, is in the
years 1798-'99, &c., at which time the families of Messrs. David Green, John Roberts, Jonathan Hurd, - Ward,
- Dodge and others, residents of the towns of Pompey and Manlius, used to assemble at each other's dwellings and
conduct worship after the Episcopal manner. The Rev. Mr. Nash first preached twice as an Episcopalian clergyman
at a private house (David Hibbard's) in Pompey. Rev. Davenport Phelps came on directly after as a Missionary, and
often preached at Manlius, Eagle Village, Morehouse's Flats and Onondaga, from 1802 to 1806.
"In January, 1804, the Episcopal Church was first organized under Rev. Davenport Phelps, Mission. ary. Rev.
A. G. Baldwin, Missionary, 1809; Rev. Parker Adams, first Rector, 1810; Rev. William A. Clark, 1811. Church building
erected, 1813; since which the following have had charge: Rev. Messrs. Clark, Pardee, Bulkley, Dyer, Hickox, Selkrig,
Hollister, Pound, Appleton, Davis, Pise, Gay."
The present Rector is Rev. Fordyce M. Hubbard, D. D.
Value of church property: Church, $6,000; Rectory, $1,800; total, $7,800.
Number of families, thirty; number of communicants, sixty ; members of Sunday School, thirtyfive.
When the church edifice was built in 1813, it stood on the hill at the east end of the village. In 1832 it was
moved down on wheels through what is now Mr. Williams' orchard and garden, "and placed in its present eligible
position, with its steeple standing, bell hanging, and organ ready to play, without jarring it so much as to move
a square foot of its plastering." This successful feat was performed by the management of the long-standing
Vestryman, Mr. Robert Gilrnore. Mr. Azariah Smith donated the lot where the church now stands. "The original
bell in this church was cracked when tolled at the funeral of Mr. Stoughton Morse, in 1822. It was afterwards recast
by Mr. Horace Hills, at Auburn." The church since its removal has been very much improved ; a new chancel
has been added, and a memorial window, in memory of that esteemed citizen and life-long Vestryman, Dr. William
Taylor-" the good physician."
TRINITY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF MANLIUS.- August 29, 1815, "Trinity Presbyterian Society" was formed at
the Franklin School House, where the first meetings were held. The church was organized October 24, 1815, Rev.
Hugh Wallace, Presiding, and consisted of the following eight original members: William Gardner, Mrs. Sarah L.
Pomeroy, Mrs. Rebecca Wood, Caleb Remington, Mrs. Mary Ann Jackson, Horace Hunt and Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Hall. Rev.
Jabez Chadwick preached on the occasion of the organization from Matt., vi. 6-8. The first Deacon was William Gardner.
The first Elders, chosen May 21, 1817, were Isaac Hall, Jacob L. Sherwood and Horace Hunt.
Services were held a portion of the time in the old "Stone House," corner of Seneca and South Streets.
The church edifice was built in 1879, and remodeled and improved a few years ago.
The first pastor was Rev. Ira M. Olds, who officiated every alternate Sabbath for about one year, beginning December,
1815. Then Rev. Isaac Reed supplied the pulpit for a while.; since which various men have ministered to the church
in order as follows:
Daniel C. Hopkins, 1818-'21 ; Hezekiah N. Woodiuff, 1821-'25 ; Ralph Cushman, 1825.-'30; Hiram H. Kellogg, a few
months; John Ingersoll, a few months; Talcott Bates, 1831-'32; Carlos Smith, 1832-'36; ____ Tobey, a few months;
Amzi Benedict, 1837-'39; John J. Slocum, 1839-'42; Dennis Platt, 1842-'45 ; Parsons C. Hastings, 1845-'51 ; Albert
H. Gaston, 1851-'54; Addison K. Strong, 1854-'55 ; Daniel Waldo, a few months; Tapping S. Reeve, 1856; N. Elmer,
1857; Jacob Post, 1858-'60; Chas. Little, 1860; Joel Linsley, 1862-'63; Alfred A. Graley, 1863-'68; Charles P.
Coit, a few months to May 1870; Henry M. Dodd, May, 1870-'72; John B. Preston, 1874-'76; H. C. Hazen, 1876 and
Azariah Smith, Jr., son of the remarkable and highly esteemed Azariah Smith, Sr., went as a missionary to Turkey
in 1842, where he labored nine years and died suddenly at the age of thirtyfive, but not till he had mastered three
languages and made his mark as a scholar.
Present membership, eighty-three; it once numbered three hundred; number in Sabbath School, fifty.
FIRST METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF MANLIUS.-The lot on which this church was first built was deeded to Daniel
P: Williams, Luther Buell, Samuel Brown, Origen Eaton, Jedediah Caswell, Ezekiel Root, John Peck, John Joknson,
and Ebenezer Conner, as Trustees, it being part of Lots 86 and 97. The edifice was erected in 1822, and stood in
the middle of the street on which it now stands. It was removed to its present location in June, 1844, and has
been very much improved from its original condition. At first it was "ornamented with a spire," which
was subsequently superceded by "a low tower." In the changes and enlargements which afterwards took place
a new and elegant steeple was placed upon the building.
Among the oldest members of this church now living, the following names have been furnished us:
Rowland Caldwell, Peter Wormwood, Arnold Remington, and his wife, Mary Remington. The early meetings were held
just south of the present location.
The pastors in regular succession, we have not been able to obtain, but these have been furnished us: Elders Harmon,
Seager, Giles, Snyder and Lanning. Rev. M. S. Wells, present pastor.
The church numbers two hundred and thirtysix members; Sunday School, ninety.
BAPTIST CHURCH. -Baptist Churches were among the earliest in the town of Manlius, but no edifice was erected in
the village till 1828. The structure erected at that time has since been greatly changed. The old church was a
square two-story building with double rows of old-fashioned, rectangular windows all around the four sides, gallery
all round the interior and seats facing the door. But now all this has been changed; the church is a neat commodious
edifice, with a fine steeple and bell, and everything about it in good taste and modern style.
The following notes have been furnished us respecting the history of the church: The earliest meetings were held
in barns and school houses in the neighborhoods of Manlius, Watervale, Oran, Eagle Village, and in the Academy
building at Manlius. In 1813 the present organization was formed under the name of the "Pompey and Manlius
Baptist Church," although there was a prior organization, records of which exist as early as 1805. Some of
the original members were, Elder Nathan Baker, Samuel Sherman, Willoughby Millard, Isaac Ketchum, Jacob Cleveland,
Elijah Weston, James Jobes, Samuel Edwards. Joseph Williams, Thomas H. Gridley, William Fillmore and Jonathan Ball.
Revs. Nathan Baker, Charles Morton, David Bellamy, John Smitzer, George Brigham, Abner Maynard, Nathan Wright and
J. W. Taggart, have been pastors. Rev. C. E. Harris present pastor.
The original church edifice cost about $3,000. It was remodeled in 1867 at an expense of $2,500. The present number
of members is about seventy, with a Subday School attendance of about fifty.
CANDEE & WELLS, MANLIUS PAPER MILLS. - These mills were erected about 1830, a portion of the foundation
being a part of the old Cotton Factory, destroyed by fire, which had been erected in 1813. The paper mills were
formerly owned by
Mr. Tremain. The present proprietors manufacture Straw Wrapping Paper, 3,500 pounds per day, and employ fifteen
K. H. C. PRESTON. Manufacturer of the "Preston Harvester." Established in 1873. Mr. Preston commenced
manufacturing in 1863.
J. HAMLIN & SONS. Proprietors of the Stone Mills. Erected in 1827 ; burnt in 1850; rebuilt in 1853. These mills
have a superior water-power, four run of stones, capacity one hundred and twenty-five barrels per day, and employ
Messrs. Hamlin & Sons are also proprietors of Cement and Plaster Mills. Established in 1871. Three hands employed.
MANLIUS CEMENT AND LIME WORKS- Located one mile below Manlius Village on the S., C. & N. Y. R. R. Champlin
& Co., proprietors. (Geo. J. Champlin and Henry N. Burhans.) Works established in 1872. Product, twenty-five
thousand barrels per annum.
WOOD MANUFACTURING COMPANY.- C. W. H. Wood, proprietor. Manufacturer of Wagon Maker's and Carpenter's Tools. Established
in Pompey in 1844, and removed to Manlius in 1876. Employs seven hands.
RUSSELL MORGAN, Empire Yarn Mills, Manlius. Manufactures all kinds of Knitting Yarns. Established, 1872. Water-power.
About 30,000 pounds of yarn per annum manufactured; eight hands employed.
In 1791, Joshua Knowlton and Origen Eaton made the first clearing on the site of Fayetteville. Cyrus Kinne,
who first carried on the business of a blacksmith in the town, and became a citizen of considerable distinction,
settled here in 1792. The first tavern was kept by Carey Coats in a small log house in 1801. John Delamater opened
a store in 1802. Cyrus Kinne built the first frame house in 1804. The settlement for many years was called "The
Corners" or "Manlius Four Corners," but upon the establishment of a postoffice it was named Fayetteville,
in honor of the Marquis de LaFayette, who about that time paid a visit to this country.
INCORPORATION AND OFFICERS.
The Village of Fayetteville was first incorporated under a special act, May 6, 1844. It was rëincorporated
under the general law passed April 2, 1870, and January 28, 1871. The first Board of Trustees consisted of John
Sprague, President; Porter Tremain, Frederick Pratt, Jr., George S. Taylor and Joseph Fitch. For the years following,
till 1877, inclusive, the following have served as Presidents of the Village Board : Porter Tremain, 1845; John
Watson, 1846; Caleb Whitford, 1847-'48; Reuben H. Bangs, 1850-'51; William Parker, Jr.. 1852 James Mead, 1853;
Jeremiah Dicker, 1854; John G. Reilly, 1855 Hiram Eaton, 1856; Nathan Seward, 1857; Hiram Eaton, 1858; R. H. Bangs,
1859; Hiram Eaton, 1860; R. H. Bangs, 1861-'62; Hiram Eaton, 1863-'64-'65; Lewis H. Eaton, 1866-'67; Joseph L.
Mathews, 1868; Daniel Eurbans, 1869-'70: Henry L. Beard, 1871 Daniel Burhans, 1872: William Hurd, 1873 ; F. M.
Severance, 1874-'75-'76; Edward Collin, 1877, with D. H. Graham, C. H. Jackson and William Hurd, Trustees. A Fire
Company was organized August 30, 1845. It was reorganized as Fire Company No. 1 and Hook and Ladder Company, January
24, 1854. Present company (fire and hose) called "Hydra," established in 1861-fifty members.
There are several quarries and nianufactories of cement in the vicinity of Fayetteville and in the town of Manlius.
The works of Messrs. Bangs & Gaynor are located at Fayetteville on the Erie Canal. The Excelsior Hydraulic
Cement is largely manufactured by them, as well as all the cooperage used in its shipping. The works were established
in 1820, and their present capacity is 1,000 barrels per day. About sixty hands are employed in the business.
A large quantity of this cement is now being used on Government works in Canada. It is used almost exclusively
in constructing the Welland Canal. and the public works at Ottawa, and docks at Montreal. This firm are also manufacturers
of Gypsum and Quicklime.
THE ONONDAGA GYPSUM COMPANY was fully organized at Fayetteville, in February, 1878. They manufacture crude stone-plaster.
The company's officers are as follows: President, Asahel F. Wilcox; Vice-President, Myron Bangs: Secretary and
Treasurer, John F. Gaynor; Directors, William Hurd, James J. Hurd, Edward Gaynor, J. Henry Smith.
The magnificent water-power of Fayetteville is obtained from what is known as the Ledyard Dyke and from Bishop
Brook. The Ledyard Dyke commences a little north of the Village of Manlius on Limestone Creek, and runs thence
to Fayetteville where it empties into the creek again, giving a fall in the village of about one hundred feet.
The present owners are David Collin, Jr., R. C. Hatch,
H. L. Beard & Son and Robert Crouse. The dyke was commenced in 1847. In times of drought it draws from the
R. C. HATCH, PEARL MILLS.- Manufactures Pearl Barley and Merchant and Custom Flour. Six run of stones - employ
five hands. Capacity of mills, fifty barrels of flour and ten of pearl barley per day. Business established in
1854. Mills built by John McVicker in 1851. Water-power on the Ledyard Dyke, twenty-one feet fall.
EDWARD JOHNSON, FAYETTEVILLE MILLS.- Pearl Barley and Merchant and Custom Flour. Four run of stones. Capacity
one hundred barrels per day-six hands employed. Business established in 1863.
BEARD, CROUSE & Co., Manufacturers of Book and News Paper. Established in 1865. The building has been used
as a Paper Mill for twentyfive years. It is a water-power establishment and employs forty hands.
BURHANS & BLANCHARD, Sash, Blinds, Doors and Mouldings. Established in 7855. Three factories, thirty hands.
Annual amount of busi- ness, $100,000. Water-power.
RUSSELL MORGAN, Grain Cradle Factory.- Business established in 1838. Located just north of the village of Fayetteville.
Six hands employed ; capacity 15,000.
The National Bank of Fayetteville was organized as a State Bank in the winter of 1854, with a capital of $115,000.
H. Edwards, President; Porter Tremain, Vice-President, and Hiram Eaton, Cashier. It was converted into a National
Bank, with a capital of $740,000 in 1865, and occupies the Bank Building, corner Mill and Genesee streets, erected
in 1854. Hiiim Eaton was cashier seventeen years. The present officers are: Hiram Eaton President; B. C. Baird,
Vice-President, and R. W. Eaton, Cashier. The Bank Building is provided with all modern improvements.
The Farmer's Bank of Fayetteville, a State Bank, was organized in 1870. Capital, $100,000. Myron Bangs, President;
F. W. Lawrence, Cashier.
Fayetteville Lodge, No. 578, F. and A. M. Chartered July 70, 1865, is an offshoot of Military Lodge, of Manlius.
First officers, Hiram Wood, M.; Henry S. Pratt, S. W.; F. M. Byington,J. W. Officers, 1877: A. J. Simmons, M.;
L. Boyington, S. W.; A. Elting, J. W. Membership, 75. Lodge Room in Byington Block.
Fayetteville Tent, N. O. of I. R. No. 102 Established February 27, 1877. H. W. Greenland, C. R.; Henry Keefe, D.
R.; William Dunlap, S. Present membership, 84.
The Fayetteville Recorder was established in 1866 by F. A. Darling. In 1874 it passed into the hands of the Recorder
Printing Association, under whose management it still continues.
School District No. 11, of Manlius, was formed November 20, 1857, by the consolidation of Districts 10, 11 and
12. At a meeting held August 26, 1872, it was voted to organize a Union Free School for Fayetteville, under the
provisions of Chapter 555, Laws of 1864.
FAYETTEVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH AND SOCIETY. -Cyrus Kinne and Gershom Breed were among the earliest settlers at
what was then known as Manlius Four Corners, now Fayetteville, coming there in 1792. They were soon followed by
Daniel Campbell, who is said to have preached occasionally in the absence of regular ministers. These three, in
company with Mrs. Susanna Ward, formed themselves into a conference for religious worship, maintaining covenant
meetings and enjoying occasional preaching. In 1798, three young men were added to the conference which was soon
augmented still further by other Christian families who had moved into the neighborhood. Their first meetings were
of necessity held in private dwellings, but afterward for many years were held in the "Wood" and "Stone"
school houses, neither of which are now standing. A council was called in 7804 at which Father Bennett and Elder
John Peck were present, and this company of brethren and sisters, in number about twenty, were recognized as a
regular and independent church.
Among them might be mentioned, Gershom Breed, Cyrus Kinne, Jabish York, Daniel Campbell, Lewis Sweeting, John Jones,
Zopher Knowlton, Orris Hopkins, William Breed, Allen Breed, Palmer Breed, Washington Worden, Susanna Ward, Mary
Terrill, Amelia Breed, Hannah Breed, Lucretia Worden, Mrs. Kinne, Elizabeth Hopkins and Walter Worden.
Brother Gershom Breed was licensed as preacher and assisted by Elder Nathan Baker, of Pompey. In 1812 he was ordained
and became the first pastor of the church. During this year a number of members were added to the church. Rev.
Mr. Breed continued in charge until his death which occurred during 1815. His son, Allen Breed, who was one of
the first three converts mentioned, succeeded him, for several years preaching as a licentiate. In 1829, he was
ordained and became the second pastor. During his pastorate of two years and a half, fifteen converts were baptized.
At this time, owing to removals, deaths and delinquencies, the church was in a very low condition and very little
interest manifested by members, some of them even refusing to be identified with this church, but joining instead
the one at Manlius Square.
In the fall of 1830, a new era commenced in the welfare of the church. Harvey Edwards had just been converted and
through his energetic and praiseworthy efforts a new interest was awakened. The services of Rev. Charles Morton,
Pastor of the Baptist Church at Manlius, were now secured for half the time, and during his ministrations the church
was greatly strengthened. In February they began to build a house of worship which was dedicated in July, 1831.
This building was of wood and erected at a cost of about $3,000. During this year about forty-five were added to
the church. In 1832, Brother J. W. Taggart, a student at Hamilton, supplied the church. At the completion of his
studies he was ordained as its third pastor. In July, 1833, twenty-four members were dismissed to form a new church
at Matthew's Mills under the charge of Elder Allen Breed. Rev. William Hutchinson was the next pastor, coming in
the spring of 1835, and was succeeded by Geo. Phippen in July, 1837. In 1838, Elder Jacob Knapp, the Evangelist,
visited Fayetteville with great success. In 1839, Rev. John Smitzer commenced a very successful pastorate of six
years duration. In 1840, a branch church was formed at Chittenango. In 1843, the church was divided owing to the
disturbance created by the Abolition question, and the Second Baptist Church of Fayetteville was formed with Rev.
W. Kingsley as pastor. Brother W. H. Douglass supplied the pulpit next for a few months, followed by Rev. Lyman
Wright, who remained eight years. During his pastorate the church was reunited. Rev. J. B. Vrooman came in 1854,
and was followed in 1856 by Lyman Wright, (a former pastor) and afterwards by Rev. J. B. Smith. In this year a
Mission School was established at High Bridge. In 1860, Rev. A. Clement Lyon was called and remained as pastor
over five years, was compelled to resign on account of a severe bronchial disease. During his stay over eighty
persons were baptized.
His successor was Rev. O. W. Babcock, who remained one year. In the summer of 1867, Hubert C. Wood, a student of
Madison University, supplied the pulpit from time to time, became their pastor immediately after graduating, and
in due time was ordained. In 1871 he was compelled to sever his connection with the church on account of his throat
and lungs being seriously affected, and in the spring of 1872 moved to Colorado. During his pastorate the present
church edifice, a fine brick structure, was erected at a cost of $30,000; the parsonage rebuilt, and a sexton's
house put up, all standing nearly opposite the old church building. For over a year and a half the church was without
a regular pastor, but in November, 1873, the pulpit was again filled, this time by Rev. C. J. Shrimpton. During
the second year of his stay the church experienced a revival, Rev. Mr. S. being assisted by Rev. A. C. Lyon, (a
former pastor,) Mrs. Lyon and Mrs. Alvah Davis. Mr. S. remained in charge until July, 1877, when he publicly withdrew
from the church and denomination on account of a change in his belief in the fundamental doctrines of the church.
In the November following, Rev. Charles N. Pettingill, the present pastor, occupied the charge. This church has
had an existence of over eighty-two years, and during this period has had 1,177 members; has baptized 772; received
by letter 399; dismissed by letter 412; excluded 104; present membership 280; in attendance at Sunday School, 140.
PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF FAYETTEVILLE.- The first religious meetings were held in the school house in what was commonly
called the Upper District. In 1829, the first church in the village, the Presbyterian, was erected by the combined
efforts of all denominations, who used the session room, first finished off, for common religious purposes. In
1830, the Presbyterian Church was formed, and in the winter of that year the house of worship was dedicated.
Most of the original members came from the Presbyterian Church of Manlius, and Rev. Mr. Cushman, of that village,
was untiring in his efforts to build up the Society at Fayetteville, usually officiating on Sunday evenings. John
McViccar, James Stewart and Phillip Flint, were the first RulingElders. All of the original twenty-three members
are now deceased, except James C. Jackson.
The first regular pastor was Rev. Amos C. Tuttie, installed June 28, 1837. During the pastorate of Rev. Lewis H.
Reid, the present church edifice was built, at a cost of about $zo,ooo. It was dedicated June 22, 7857. Mr. Reid
was pastor eleven years ; the present pastor, Rev. R. L. Bachman, was called in 1874. The church membership numbers
about two hundred; Sunday School, one hundred and twenty-five.
TRINITY CHURCH (Episcopal,) Fayetteville, was organized in the year 1830; a building erected in 1831 and consecrated
in 1832. Quite a number of the early settlers of this and the adjoining towns were Episcopalians, and held service
after that form in families as early as 1798. Father Nash and others were early missionaries in Pompey and Manlius
from 1802 to 1806, and out of their labors have grown several strong and influential churches. This church was
for several years a missionary charge, the first resident missionary being Rev. J. B. Engle, in 1837. Others of
the early clergymen were Rev. Messrs. Northrup, Windsor, Feisner, Bartlett, Hickox and Pise. The Rt. Rev. Henry
Neely, Bishop of the Diocese of Maine, was baptized in this parish.
The present church was built in 1870. and cost $14,000. It is a stone building, unusually fine for a village no
larger than Fayetteville- an ornament, indeed, to the place. Rev. John Bayler, Rector when the church was built;
subsequently, Rev. Charles H. Gardner. The present Rector is Rev. C. J. Shrirnpton. Present number of communicants,
one hundred and fifteen ; average attendance at Sunday School, seventy-five.
CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION, Fayetteville. - The nucleus of the present Church of the Immaculate Conception
was formed of several families residing at Fayetteville and Manlius Square, from 1846 to 1855. Among these may
be mentioned John Farrell, John McCarrick, John O'Brien and Jeremiah Bohan, of the former place, and Edward Gaynor,
John Sheedy, Patrick Holland, Timothy Holland, John Shea, Patrick Tobiri, William Griffin, John Kennelly, Patrick
Moloney, Michael Foley, Thomas Flattery, and others, residing at Manlius Square. About the year 1851 the first
Catholic mass was said at the residence of John Murphy, at Manlius Square, by Father McCallion. Rev. Father Cahill,
of Cazenovia, was the first Catholic clergyman who visited Fayetteville, and held the first service in the house
of John Farrell.
In 1845 Father Cahill purchased a lot and raised by contributions a small sum toward the erection of a church.
Upon his removal from Cazenovia, he deposited this with Bishop McClosky, to the credit of the Catholics of Fayetteville.
It amounted in 1861 to $315.
Father Rooney next attended the mission for a short time and was succeeded by Rev. Lawrence Schneider, pastor at
Manlius Station in 1856. In 1857, Rev. James A. O'Hara, then officiating at St. Patrick's Church, Oneida, visited
the mission. Rev. Father Maurus being appointed to Manlius Station, the Catholics at Fayetteville, in 1859, came
together and determined to build a church. This attempt, however, failed, after the foundation of the edifice had
been partly laid. Another attempt was also made and failed, after a new site had been purchased and part of the
brick delivered on the ground in 1861-'62. The materials were afterward sold and the enterprise discontinued till
the fall of 1869, when the present neat and commodious brick edifice was undertaken. The cornerstone was laid on
the 25th of November, 1869, by Very Rev. Edgar P. Wadhams, then Vicar-General of the diocese of Albany, and now
Bishop of the new diocese of Ogdensburg. The sermon on the occasion was preached by the late Dr. Keating, of Hudson,
and twenty other clergymen assisted at the ceremony Mass was celebrated for the first time in the new church on
Christmas day, 1870, but its interior decoration was not completed till the autumn of 1872. It was dedicated under
the title of the Immaculate Conception, by Rt. Rev. Francis McNeirny, on November 26, 1872. The late Father Brady,
of Cazenovia, preached the dedicatory sermon and sixteen other clergymen were present on the occasion. After the
dedicacation, Bishop McNeirny administered confirmation to one hundred and eighty-five candidates. This was the
first time the sacrament of confirmation was administered in this mission. The congregation consists of about 120
families, and the average attendance at the Sunday school is about sixty-five.
The history of this church would be incomplete if the writer failed to record that many nonCatholics, resident
in Fayetteville, contributed very generously toward its erection.
ST. MARY'S (CATHOLIC) CHURCH, situated in the town of Manlius, on the road from Manlius Station to Bridgeport.
The church was organized in 1833 in a little district school house, wherein services were first held. The following
are the names of the original heads of families connected with the parish
Matthias Sutter, Felix Fieselmayer, George Konrad, Anthony Lambacher, Joseph Schneider, Henry Herbener, John Kuppele,
Seb. Kuppele, Joseph Bloser, Mark Schopp, Stephen Zion, Aug. Gott, Pet. Fieselbrand, Casper Fabing, John Konrad,
Nicolaus Gerhard, Michael Remblinger, Adam Uth, Anthony Zimmer, Ignatius Heifer, Jos. Flick, Peter Schneider, Adam
Bucher, John Backenstrass, Jacob Fries, Theobald Schondorf, Casper Huliar, Peter Mayer. The church was built A.
D., 1834, under the Rt. Rev John Dubois, Bishop of New York. Pastors-Rev. Werick, Rev. Guth, Rev. Mich. Heas, Rev.
Rath, Rev. Fl. Scheninger, Rev. Th. Nothen, Marshal ; Rev. Sanderl, Jos. Raffeiner, Rev. Col. Messner, Rev. Federmann;
Rev. Tappert, Rev. Maly, Rev. Muller, F. C. Weber3 Schneider, Maurus, Cairus, Kenig, Ritter, Wibbee, Mayers, Fehlings,
Hengen, Weber, Maurus,-one hundred and five families.
The attendance in the Sunday School is from sixty to eighty boys and girls.
The old frame church was erected in 1834, in dimensions 34 by 40 feet. Additions of twenty feet were made to its
length in the years 1857 and 1870, respectively. Present pastor, Rev. L. Maurus.
THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH at Manlius Station, first met for worship in the school house. In 1862 the church
and parsonage were built. Rev. Gideon Jones was then pastor. The church is valued at $3,500, and parsonage at $1,600.
Present membership, thirty-six. The first members were Jacob Karker and Jabez Lewis. Present pastor, J. N. Sackett.
With the building of the Erie Canal, a settlement began to be made at this point, Mr. Cunningham opening a tavern.
In 1822, Edward Kirkland, a son of the late Joseph Kirkland of Utica, established himself on a large farm half
a mile northeast of the place, and in 1824, was appointed Postmaster. The postoffice and the settlement were named
Kirkville in honor of him. Mr. Kirkland built the Canal Basin at his own expense, put up a large store, and for
some time did considerable business there. The place has a few stores, shops and two churches.
UNION CHURCH, Kirkville.- On the 28th of December, 1848, the citizens met for the purpose of organizing a society
to build a house of public worship. The society was finally organized January 16, 1849, with the following Trustees:
David Dominick and George W. Huntly, three years; William Gilman and Joseph Hoag, two years ; Williatn Cunningham
and Cortland Cunningham, one year. The church was erected in 1850, and the society arranged for services by the
different denominations as follows: Universalists, every fourth Sunday; Baptists, every fourth Sunday; Presbyterians,
every second Sunday ; Methodist Episcopal, every second Sunday; Wesleyan Methodists, every second Sunday at 4 P.
M. The Universalists, having repaired and refurnished the church, are the only denomination occupying it at present.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, Kirkville. - This church originally formed part of the North Manlius Circuit and worshipped
in the Union Church. It was made a station in 1872, and immadiatery after, the present house of worship was erected.
The first pastor was Rev. Joseph Maxwell. Original membership, thirty-eight ; present number, sixtysix ; Sunday
School, forty. Present pastor, D. W. Roney.
THE EVANGELICAL ASSOCIATION, Manlius Station.- Organized February 11, 1855. The original members were John J. fetter,
Frederick Ebeling, Jacob Taffner, Carl Fout, Frederick Hecht, Jacob Karker, Frederick Horman, Christian Gehririg,
George E. Fisher and Jacob Saiz. The church was dedicated December 23, Cost-about $700. The following have officiated
as pastors Frederick Scharf, one year; E. D. Jenny, two years; John Grenzenbach, one year Michael Pfitzinger, two
years; Jacob Dereich, two years; E. Thomas, one year; Frederick Lohmeir, two years; Carl Wiseman, two years John
Schaaf, one year; Levi Jacoby, one year; Adolf Loscher, three years; Edward Weier; three years; August Klein, two
years. Present membership 35.
At this place the first tavern, in the present town of Manlius, was erected by James Foster, who settled on
Lot 88, in 1790. It was very early resorted to by others as a desirable place of residence, and once contested
for superiority with Manlius Village. Eagle Village had once four physicians, three merchants and four lawyers.
Mr. Charles Mosely opened a store here in 1793, and Dr. Ward, the first regular physician in the town of Manlius,
settled and practiced here; Dr. Moor, soon after; and next Dr. Smith Weed, who had an extensive practice. Dr. Fish
and Dr. Washburn, also well-known physicians, resided in this village. Charles B. Bristol commenced trading here
as a merchant, in 1804. During the war of 1812, he acted as distributing commissary ; built the Stone Distillery
in 1809 kept the finest garden in the county ; drove the best team of eight horses known on the road, and for five
or six years was considered one of the first merchants of the country. General Amos P. Granger, first commenced
business here; Mr. Walker, in 1804, opened a law office, and Hon. James R. Lawrence was his clerk. A hotel opened
here by Libbeus Foster, in 1794, became one of the most celebrated taverns in western New York. containing a grand
masonic hall,- a grand dancing hail and many other things to correspond.
In 1811, Eagle Village had an incorporated library of about 250 volumes of valuable and standard works. It was
the first circulating library in the county. And here the first school in the town or Manlius was taught, by Samuel
Edwards, in James Foster's barn. He had eight shillings a quarter per scholar, and "boarded round" At
this place Billy McKee and Jenny Mulholland on a training day, were married in a hollow square formed by the company
on the parade ground, by Cyrus Kinne, Esq.