[Continued from History of Newburg Part 1 also see town
PROTECTION AND EDUCATION.
Newburgh has been remarkably free from crime, which is in part due to the character of its citizens and in part
to its uniformly excellent police force, which now consists of one marshal, two sergeants, two rounds men and fifteen
The Volunteer Fire Department of Newburgh is one of the oldest in the State, and also one of the most efficient.
Therefore there have been few very damaging fires, and the insurance rates are low. From its organization, over
a hundred years ago, until now, it has had on its records of membership some of the leading business and professional
men in the community, and they have promptly responded to the call for service when their service was required.
The department was started, by authority of an act of Legislature, in the spring of 1797. This was three years
before the village was incorporated, and the five trustees which the act required to be elected annually for controlling
managers were the first form of government in the village. Their power was transferred to the village trustees
by the incorporating act. There were at first a suction engine and a bucket brigade to keep it supplied with water.
In 1805 a company of "bagmen" was formed, whose duty it was to take charge of goods. The first engine
house was erected about the same time, and a record of the two engine coinpanies of 1805 furnishes the following
No. 1. - William I. Smith, Enoch E. Tilton, Walter Burling, Henry Tudor, Ward M. Galley, Gilbert N. Clement, Minard
Harris, John Cardskaden. Caleb Sutton, George E. Hulse, John Coleman, John Hoagland, William Aden, Andrew Preston,
Nicholas Wright, John Forsyth. Walter Case.
No. 2. - John Harris, Jonathan Fisk, John Anderson. Jr.. Leonard Carpenter, Selah Reeve, James Hamilton, Samuel
I. Gregory. William Gardiner, Nathaniel Binding. Solomon Sleight, Jonathan Carter, Hiram Weller, Samuel Wright,
Hugh Spier, Thomas Powell, Cornelius DeWitt, Joseph Hoffman, Cadwallader Roe, Daniel Niven, Jr., Benoni H. Howell,
Sylvanus Jessup, Joseph Reeve, John Richardson.
The interesting history of the department from its interesting beginnings cannot be followed here. Coming clown
to the present time its heads consist of a chief engineer and two assistant engineers, the foreman and assistant
foreman of the various companies, and the trustees of the Fire Department fund. The names of the companies are
Highland Steamer Co. No. 3, Washington Steamer Co. No. 4, Brewster Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1, Ringgold Hose Co.
No. 1, Columbian Hose Co. No. 2, C. M. Leonard Steamer Co. No. 2, Chapman Steamer Co. No. 1, Lawson Hose Co. No.
5, Washington Heights Chemical Engine Co. No. 3.
The city is divided into five fire districts, and thirty two alarm boxes connect with the engine houses.
Newburgh is essentially, progressive and modern in its educational system, now made free, from the primary to the
end of the academic course. Its Board of Education consists of nine members. It has seven public school buildings
and one public library building. Other officers besides the board, are its president, vice president, clerk, who
is also superintendent, librarian, counsel and attendance officer. There are also three Glebe trustees and three
Glebe auditors. The courses of study are similar to those in other city schools, and the graduate from the Free
Academy may be prepared to enter one of the leading colleges, while the Manual Training School is a physical safeguard
as well as a means for harmonious muscular development. For reading helps apart from text books the good library
of nearly 35,000 volumes is an opening into general literature.
The reason for the Glebe trustees and auditors referred to dates back to ancient conditions which have been mentioned.
The act to amend the charter of the Glebe passed by the Legislature in 1803, directed that $200 should be paid
annually to the trustees of the academy, and that the remainder of the money from the Glebe income should be paid
to the other schools on the Glebe lands, as the inhabitants should direct. It was applied to the juvenile school
which was established in the old Lutheran church in 1809, the last teacher of which was John L. Lyon, who taught
from 1843 to 1845, when the school was removed to the academy. In 1849, after the Clinton street school building
was erected and became officially known as the Glebe school, it received the revenues of the Glebe above the sum
required by law to he paid to the academy. The High school was incorporated in 1829, and opened the next year.
The number of pupils registered in this 1851-1852 was 348, and the number in the Glebe school about 120. During
the first year of the new order of things, provided for in the act of 1852, the number of pupils was doubled.
Besides the present public schools there are several parish and private schools, the former being under the care
of the Roman Catholic Church. Of these St. Mary's Academy, founded in 1883, has become very prominent and useful.
The library, with its 35,000 volumes, is free to the people of Newburgh, and the building includes a teachers'
reading room supplied with books adapted to the professional needs of the teachers, and may also be used by citizens
and strangers for study and literary work. The library was started in 1852, and is among the oldest of the free
circulating libraries. Previous to 185o there were but four in the State, ten in the New England States, six besides
these in the United States, and none in Great Britain, and but one of the libraries then organized has as many
books or as large a circulation as the Newburgh library. In September, 1852, the Board of Education resolved that
all the school libraries in the village should be consolidated and placed together in the academy room, then ready
to receive them, and William N. Reid, first principal of the academy under the new system, was appointed librarian.
There were 923 volumes from the high school, 737 from the Glebe and 318 from the academy. In 1852 the books of
the Mechanics' Library Association were transferred to the Board of Education, which added 2,801 volumes to the
library. Other donations and the purchases have brought the library to its present valuable condition in the number
and quality of its books. The fine building which now contains them was completed in 1877
Of Newburgh's churches the oldest is the First Presbyterian, whose legal existence began a few months after
the close of the Revolutionary War, although its informal existence had started a score of years before, and been
kept up in an irregular and feeble way. The formal organization as a Presbyterian society under the laws of the
State took place July 12, 1884, with these trustees: Adolph Degrove, Daniel Hudson, Thomas Palmer, Joseph Coleman,
Isaac Belknap. The first stated supply was Rev. John Close, who served from 1785 to 1796. His successor was Rev.
Isaac Lewis, who continued until 1800 and was followed by Rev. John Freeman, and Mr. Freeman by Rev. Eleazer Burnet.
Then came the long and very successful pastolate of Rev. John Johnston, which lasted from July 5, 1807, until his
death, August 23, 1855. Nearly a thousand members were added to the church roll during his ministry.
The congregation of the First Associate Reformed Church was formed in 1798, and the society was legally incorporated
February 7, 1803. The first pastor, Rev. Robert Kerr, was installed April 6, 1799. The first trustees were: Derick
Amerman, Hugh Walsh, Daniel Niven, Robert Gourley, Robert Boyd, John Brown, Isaac Belknap, Jr., John Coulter and
Robert W. Jones. The ruling elders were John Currie, Samuel Belknap, Hugh Speir and John Shaw.
The First Reformed Presbyterian. Church was planted in Newburgh by several families of the Covenanter faith in
1793, who held services in their homes on Sundays, and, with others, organized a Covenanter society in 1802. This
became a branch of the Coldenham congregation, and the connection was continued until 1824, when it separated,
and James Clark, Samuel Wright and John Lawson were chosen elders and John Crawford, deacon.
Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1808, when Rev. Samuel Fowler became the first pastor.
St. George's Episcopal Church has been elsewhere referred to, in the early history of Newburgh. The parish was
reincorporated, after a long period of adversity, in 1805, and the minister who more than any one else built it
up afterward in the early years of the nineteenth century was Rev. John Brown. He became its regular rector in
the fall of 1815.
The African M. E. Church was organized in 1827, by Rev. George Matthews.
A Baptist Church was organized in 1821, and after a feeble existence, ending in dissolution in 1828, was formally
reorganized in December, 1834.
Of the later churches the organizations were as follows:
American Reformed Church, September 23, 1835; St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, 1838; Union Church, July 13,
1837; Shiloh Baptist Church, 1848; St. John's M. E. Church, May 23. 1852; Westminster Reformed: Presbyterian Church,
November 12. 1854; Calvary Presbyterian Churth, September 1, 1856; First United Presbyterian Church, December 6,
1859; Congregatiot Beth Jacob, about 186o; St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal Church, May, 1860; Grace M. E. Church,
April 25, 1868; Church of our Father (Unitarian), 1855; St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, May 19, 1875; Church
of the Corner Stone (Reformed Episcopal), December 2, 1873; German Evangelical Lutheran Church. spring.of 1876;
Church of the Good Shepard (Episcopal). June, 1871 First Congregational Church, January 3, 1889.
OTHER HELPFUL ORGANIZATIONS.
A Young Men's Christian Association of Newburgh was organized September 17, 1858, and the next week officers
were elected. The time of organization was less than six years after the Y. M. C. A. movement started. The association
dissolved about 1861, and after the lapse of seven years the present association was organized. It did not have
a vigorous existence for several years, and was reorganized in January, 1879. A few months later General Secretary
J. T. Browne came to Newburgh and put new life into it, and it has been prosperous and progressive since. Its president,
E. S. Tanner, was largely instrumental in raising the money for the new building, first occupied. in 1883, and
At a public meeting held April 24, 1888, after an address by the national secretary, Miss Nettie Dunn, Newburgh's
Young Women's Christian Association was organized and 105 members enrolled. The elected officers were: President,
Mrs. Susan McMasters; vice presidents, Mrs. Isaac Garrison, Miss Mary E. Gouldy and Mrs. Charles S. Jenkins; recording
secretary, Miss Augusta Lester; treasurer. Mrs. M. C. Belknap. The association has been prosperous and useful.
St. Luke's Home and Hospital was incorporated in 1876. Its object is to provide for the care and medical treatment
of the sick and disabled, and also a home for aged women. It has a training school for nurses. established in 1893,
and a medical board of nearly a score of physicians and specialists.
There are two institutions under the care of Alms House Commissioners the City and Town Home and Children's Home.
The former is on a farm in the southwestern corner of the city, and the latter is a building in High Street. These
are city benefactions, well managed and helpful to the aged and orphaned.
An office and employment bureau was organized in 1875, and reorganized in 1886. It is primarily an organization
to help the poor to help themselves. Members pay $5 annually and agree to abstain from indiscriminate almsgiving.
The society is otherwise supported by voluntary contributions.
The Woman's Christian Temperance Union and Young Women's Christian Temperance Union labor to teach the boys and
younger men the principles of temperance and morality, and have restrained and reformed many of them.
There are two military companies in Newburgh, the Fifth Separate and Tenth Separate Companies, originating in the
Seventeenth Battalion, which was organized in 1878, Lieutenant Colonel E. D. Hayt, commanding. January II, 1882,
Companies B, C and D were mustered out and Company A, Captain James T. Chase, continued as Fifth Separate Company.
and Company E, Captain James M. Dickey, continued as Tenth Separate Company.
The Lodges of the Independent Order of Old Fellows are Acme No. 469, Bismarck No. 420; Highland No. 65, and Mount
Olive Encampment No. 65.
The Elks have Lodge No. 247, B. P. O. E.
The Grand Army of the Republic is represented in Newburgh by Ellis Post No. 52, and Fullerton Post No. 589. The
Sons of Veterans have A. S. Cassedy Post No. 18.
The Knights of Pythias have Storm King Lodge No. 11. Olive Branch Lodge No. 133, Endowment Rank Section No. 205,
and Charles T. Goodrich Division No. 25. Uniform Rank.
The Knights of Honor have Hudson River Lodge No. 1218.
The Ancient Order of Foresters has Court Newburgh No. 7256 and Court Pride of the Hudson No. 7718.
The Improved Order of Red Men has Muchattoes Tribe No. 54, and Orange Council No. 59, Degree of Pocahontas.
Of temperance societies there are Orange Council No. 186, Royal Templars of Temperance. Prohibition Alliance, junior
Prohibition Club, St. George's Company No. 62, Knights of Temperance, St. Paul's Company No. 62, Mission Lodge
No. 639 I. O. Of G. T., Newburgh Lodge No. 282 I. O. of G. T., and Victory Lodge I. O. of G. T.
Among the many other societies are United Friends, Sons of St. George, Ancient Order of Hibernians, Royal Arcanum,
Order of United American Mechanics, Sexennial League, Knights and Ladies of the Golden Star, Knights of Honor,
Orange Men, several Catholic societies, labor and trade unions, Newburgh Bible Society, Historical Society of Newburgh
Bay and the Highlands, Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Society for Instruction in First Aid to
the Injured, and Horse Thief Detecting Society.
Newburgh has solid financial institutions. Highland Bank was chartered April 26, 1834, with a capital of $200,000.
In January, 1865, the capital was increased to $350,000, and the following April was reorganized as a National
Bank with a capital of $350,000, which was reduced to $300.000 in 1888. The first president was Gilbert O. Fowler.
Quassaick National Bank was organized March 31, 1852, and began business with a capital of $130,000. The first
president was E. W. Farrington, and the first cashier Jonathan N. Weed. In June off the year of organization the
capital stock was increased to $200,000, and in June of 1853 to $300,000. In 1895 Mr. Weed was chosen president.
The National Bank of Newburgh is the successor of the Bank of Newburgh, incorporated March 22, 1811. The capital
of the first bank was $120,000. The first president was Isaac Belknap, Jr., and the first cashier was John S. Hunan.
In February, 1820, a branch bank was opened at Ithaca and continued till 1830, when its charter expired. The Bank
of Newburgh was then reorganized under the Safety Fund law with a capital of $140,000. In 1851 it was again reorganized
under the general banking law with a capital of $200,000, which was increased the next year to $300,000. July 3,
1864, the bank divided its capital and 6o per cent. profits among its stockholders, and closed business, and two
days afterward the National Bank of Newburgh more than took its place ln the business community, with the large
capital of $800,000, the stock of which was promptly taken. June 3. 1890, the stockholders voted to reduce the
capital to $400,000, and the additional $400,000 with 40 per cent. profits was divided among them. The bank has
continued to prosper.
The Newburgh Savings Bank was chartered April 13, 1852, and was opened January 1, 1853. Its present building
was completed in 1868, and cost $115,527. It has been a helpful institution to the people of Newburgh and vicinity.
Its first president was Robert L. Case. Joseph Chadwick is now its president.
The Columbus Trust Company began to do business March 1, 1893, at No. 82 Broadway, with a capital stock of $100,000
divided among 144 shareholders. Semi annual dividends of 3 per cent. have been regularly paid since 1895. In 1901
the directors decided to purchase No. 78 Broadway for a banking house. The building was remodeled, and April 29,
1902, the company moved to its present quarters. This company has prospered beyond the reasonable expectations
of its friends. The statement of December 31, 1893, showed $117,249.17 on deposit, and $20,238.36 surplus and undivided
profits. June 29, 7907, deposits amounted to $2.941,587.13 and surplus and undivided profits to $121,527.26. The
total number of accounts is 5.300. The present officers are: Joseph Van Cleft, president David A. Morrison. first
vice president: Charles R. Bull, second vice president; Henry M. Leonard, treasurer; Barclay Van Cleft, secretary:
Walter C. Anthony, counsel.
The Board of Trade was organized February 22, 1882, Mayor A. S. Cassedy presiding at the meeting. Daniel S. Waring
was chosen president and the other officers were: Vice presidents, William B. Brockaw and John Schoonmaker; treasurer,
Jonathan N. Weed. This organization helped in many ways to advance the city's interests. It was succeeded by the
Business Men's Association, organized October 16, 1900. with the following officers: Samuel V. Schoonmaker, president:
James Chadwick, W. C. Belknap. Hiram B. Odell, vice presidents: John F. Tucker. secretary; H. A. Bartlett. treasurer.
It was incorporated March 30, 1904. Among the larger plants it has secured for Newburgh may he mentioned (1901)
the Abendroth & Root Co.. of Brooklyn, manufacturers of spiral pipe. automobiles, etc.; (1901-1902) the Fabrikoid
Co., Eormerlv doing business in New Jersey, which purchased the property known as Haigh Mills at West Newburgh.
Their products are shipped to all parts of the world: (1903) William C. Gregg Co.. of Minneapolis, Minn., manufacturers
of sugar plantation machinery. William Johnston McKay was chosen president of the association in 1907. This organization
is in charge of Newburgh's portion of the Tercentenary celebration of the discovery of the Hudson River, and has
already arranged for special exercises, September 25, 26 and 27, 1909.
The transportation facilities of Newburgh are almost unsurpassed.
In front is its fine harbor, bay and river, with steamship lines up and down and across. These lines are a restraint
upon the tendencies of the railroads towards high freight rates. The river trade is large and within a few miles
of Newburgh are about fifteen village ports which are more or less tributary to it. The local traffic of the Hudson
is mostly by lines of steamers, some of which carry both freight and passengers and others only passengers. Sloops
and schooners, which long ago did nearly all the carrying trade, still do service.
The Central Hudson Steamboat Company has two night lines of steamers to New York, which carry passengers and freight.
Boats of this line leave Newburgh and New York in the evening and afford charming water trips to residents and
others. The company also provides the Newburgh, Albany and Troy line, the steamers of which leave Newburgh for
the upward trips every morning, except Sundays, and arrive from Albany in the evening. The captains of the boats
on the Newburgh and New York lines are Zach Roosa, William Heakim, Weston L. Dennis and E. N. Gage. Those on the
Newburgh, Albany & Troy line are Fred L. Simpson and Egbert Van Wagner.
The Newburgh and Fishkill ferry, for which a line of steamers was started in 1835, continues business, its steamers
leaving Newburgh about every half hour between 5:45 A. M. and 10:45 P. M., H. Stockbridge Ramsdell is the agent.
Newburgh and Haverstraw Steamboat Company has the steamer Emeline, Captain D. C. Woolsey, which starts for Haverstraw
and intermediate landings each mid afternoon and Haverstraw for Newburgh in the evening.
Newburgh and Poughkeepsie line's steamer Hudson Taylor, Captain George Walker, leaves Newburgh for Poughkeepsie
every morning. Wappinger's Falls and Newburgh line's steamer Messenger leaves Newburgh forenoons and early evenings.
The West Shore Railroad, which extends north and west to Albany and Buffalo and south to New York, connects at
Newburgh with the Erie and the New York and the New England systems, and at Buffalo with the Grand Trunk and the
Lake Shore Railroads. Over thirty trains a day arrive and depart on this road. It has facilities for transporting
cars across the river.
One Erie Railroad branch extends to a junction with the main line at Greycourt, eighteen miles distant, and affords
a direct route to the Pennsylvania coal fields and across the southern tier of New York counties to the west. Another
Erie branch connects with the main line at Newburgh Junction, fifteen miles distant, and passes through a number
of Orange County villages. About twenty passenger trains a day arrive and depart over these branches.
The New York Centrals Hudson River line of railroad across the river from Newburgh is reached by the ferry, the
boats of which make close connection with all through passenger trains.
The Lehigh and Hudson River Railway extends from a junction with the Newburgh branch and the Erie's main line at
Greycourt to Belvidere. The Newburgh branch is operated as a part of the system controlled by the Central Railroad
of New Jersey.
There is also the line of the Orange County Traction Company, extending to Walden.
Newburgh is the principal gateway for the coal traffic between Pennsylvania fields and the New England States,
which consume six million tons of coal annually. The loaded cars on reaching the river front are quickly ferried
across to Fishkill on the transfer boat, and the roads coming to Fishkill distribute them. Much coal is also shipped
from Newburgh by water to all parts of the northern country, and to the ports of Long Island and the New England
Newburgh has six cemeteries - the Newburgh, or Old Town, St. George's, St. Patrick's, the Hebrew, and in the
suburbs, Woodlawn and Cedar Hill.
The Newburgh has many old headstones, and is in the block where stood the church of the old Palatine settlers.
St. George's is under the care of St. George's Protestant Episcopal Church.
St. Patrick's is for the remains of the Roman. Catholic dead and the Hebrew for the Jewish dead.
Woodlawn Cemetery is controlled by the Newburgh Woodlawn Cemetery Association, which was incorporated October 22,
1870. It is in the town of New Windsor, a mile from the city, and is reached by a delightful avenue. It is an ideal
location for a cemetery, with extended river and mountain views. Quassaick avenue. leading from the city to Woodlawn,
is lined with elegant country residences in the midst of spacious grounds studded 'with fine trees and beautified
in the warm season with wide lawns and varieties of beautiful flowers. The cemetery grounds contain fifty acres,
laid out with excellent artistic taste and skill, and carefully looked after and kept in order by the superintendent,
MacLeod Rogers, who has occupied the position from the beginning. Some of its features are a row of fine cedars
along the northern boundary, a dense grove on the western side, scattered ancient oaks, also maples, pines, elms
and other kinds of trees, varieties of shrubs and flowers, and a natural stream. There are several imposing monuments
and many fine designs in sculptured marble and granite.
Cedar Hill Cemetery is about five miles north of the center of the city. and contains too acres in the midst of
a picturesque landscape. It has about three miles of driveways through its park like grounds, there is a stream
of spring water which supplies a little lake of two and one half acres, and there are many handsome monuments.
The Cedar Hill Cemetery Association was organized in 1870.
THE CIVIL WAR.
Regarding enlistments from Newburgh and the money raised for the Civil War, the recapitulation in Ruttenber
and Clark's History is here quoted:
"I. Company B. 3d Regiment, recruited in March and April, 1861. 2. Company B, 36th Regiment, recruited
in May and June, 1861. 3. Company I, 71st Regiment Militia, recruited principally from Company I. 19th Regiment.
4. Companies A and B, and parts of C, D and G, 56th Regiment, recruited between July and October, 1861. 5. Seventh
Independent Battery, in part, recruited with 56th Regiment. 6. Companies D, E, F, I and L, 19th Regiment Militia;
miscellaneous enlistments prior to July, 1862, III. Under the calls of July and August, 1862, 470 men were required
from the town, and 501 furnished, 217 of whom were enolled in the 124th, and 166 in the 168th Regiments. The call
of July, 1863, required 443 men, of whom ninety were furnished; but it was merged in the calls of October, 1863,
and of February, March and July, 1864, requiring 156; number furnished. 827. of whom seventy one were not credited.
The total of enlistments, including re enlistments, was 2,250; the total of men required, 1,226. The public subscriptions
and loans of the town, including at that time the village, for the promotion of enlistments and for bounties were:
1861. by individual subscriptions, $7.385, bonds of the village, $5,000; 1862, individual subscriptions, $17,512;
1864, town bonds, $175,100; total. $204,997. In addition to this sum the town expended for special relief - 1863-1864
- $1864 - $1,075.50; expended by aid society, and in contributions to the Christian Commission, $12,387.31; raising
the total to $218,459.81, and the further sum of $321,320 (partly estimated) for special income and internal revenue
taxes to January 1, 1865-a grand total of $539,779.81."
The Newburgh post office was the first to be established in this part of the State. and passed the centennial
of its organization in December. 1805. Prior to that date letters and other articles which now go by mail were
carried by post riders, who delivered and deposited letters at appointed stations. The first post carrier station
in this district is supposed to have been what was known as "the glass house" in the ancient village
of New Windsor, where letters were addressed as early as 1755. One of the early stations was the tavern of Michael
Wiegand on present Liberty street, and the regular accounting post office of 1895 was its successor. At that time,
we are told, the Newburgh office included in its deliveries Marlborough, Montgomery. Plattekill, New Windsor and
other nearby settlements, and received mails by carriers on the established post roads, the main trunk lines being
the old King's Highway, now Liberty street, the old road from Kingston to Goshen, running through Montgomery, from
which a cross mail was carried through Coldenham to Newburgh, and there was a main cross mail running east through
Fishkill into New England and to Boston, which intersected a cross line on the east side of the river extending
from New York to Albany.
The Newburgh post office had various locations in town until 1897, when it was moved into its permanent home in
the new Government building, then just completed. The equipment here was modern and complete and the space sufficient,
but the rapid growth of the city's industrial business and other changing conditions have been such that the building
is already too small for the increased and increasing post office business. Note the changes in five years. On
March I, 1900, there were connected with the office eight clerks, thirteen letter carriers and one substitute carrier,
and in 1905 there were thirteen clerks, two substitute clerks, sixteen carriers, four substitute carriers, and
four rural delivery carriers. The receipts of the office for the year ending March 31, 1901, were $52,263.12, and
for the year ending March 31, 1906, they were $73,232.79, an increase of $20,969.37. or 40.12 per cent.
A list of postmasters from the beginning until now, with the dates of their appointment, follows:
Ebenezer Foote, appointed January I, 1796; Harry Caldwell, October 1, 1797; Daniel" Birdsall, October 1, 1802;
Chester Clark, July 1, 1810; Aaron Belknap, March 26, 1812; Tooker Wygant, November 26, 1830; A. C. Mullin, May
23, 1833; B. H. Mace, November 23, 1836, Oliver Davis, June 11, 1841; James Belknap, May 18, 1843; Samuel W. Eager,
August 6, 18.19; Joseph Casterline, Jr., May 4, 1853; Ezre Farrington, May 22, 1861; James H. Reeve, November 1,
1866; Henry Major, May 7, 1867; Joseph Lomas, August 22, 1867; Ezra Farrington, July 19, 1869; John C. Adams, April
1. 1875; Joseph M. Dickey, March 21, 1883; William R. Brown, April 8, 1877: William G. Taggart, April 2, 1891;
Joseph A. Sneed, February 1, 1892; Lewis W. S. McCroskery, March 1, 1896; Hiram B. Odell, March 1. 1905. reappointed
1904 and January, 1908.
A list of the mayors, etc., of Newburgh with their terms of service since its incorporation as a city in 1865
are here given:
George Clark, four terms, from March 11, 1866, to March 8, 1870.
Robert Sterling, from March 8, 1870. Died April 30, 1870. Alexander McCann, president of the common council, acting
mayors the rest of term, to March 7, 1871.
William W. Carson, from March 7, 187, to March 6, 1872.
Samuel E. Shutes, two terms, from March 6, 1872, to March 10, 1874.
Chauncey M. Leonard, from March To, 1874. Died December 3, 1874,
Nathaniel B. Haft, acting mayor rest of term, to March to, 1875.
John S. McCroskery, three terms, from March to, 1875, to March 12, 1878.
Charles H. Weygant, two terms, from March 12, 1878, to March 8, 1880.
Abram S. Cassedy, two terms, from March 8, 1880, to March 13, 1882.
Peter Ward, two terms, from March 13, 1882, to March it, 1884.
Benjamin B. Odell, six terms, from March 11, 1884, to March 11, 1890
Michael Doyle, two terms, from March 11, 1890, to March 11, 1894.
Benjamin B. Odell, six terms, from 1894 to 1900.
Jonathan D. Wilson, six terms, from 1900 to 1906.
Charles D. Robinson, 1906 to 5908.
Benjamin McClung, 1908. Term expires March, 1910.
Francis Scott, 1866-1868, 1870. 1873-1875.
Lewis M. Smith, 1869-1870.
James N. Dickey, 1872, 1879-1891.
Ring A. Smith, 1876-1878.
Jonathan N. Weed, 1891-1894.
J. N. Dickey, 1894-1906.
H. M. Leonard, 1906. Term expires March, 1909.
Joseph D. Shafer, 1866-1870.
Charles B. Titus, 1871-1874.
John B. Kerr. 1875-1878.
Cornelius L. Waring, 1879-1890.
L. W. Y. McCroskery, 1891-1895.
W. H. Hyndman, 1895. Term expires December 31, 1911.
James W. Taylor. 1865-1869.
John Fenton. 1870-1871.
William D. Dickey, 1872, 1878-1880.
J. G. Graham, 1873-1874, 1885-1890.
Abram S. Cassedy, 1875-1876.
George H. Clark, 1880-1881.
Russel Headley, 1881-1884.
Eugene A. Brewster, 1891-1895.
C. L. Waring, 1892. Resigned 1907.
W. F. Cassedy, 1907-1908.
Charles Caldwell. 1866-1902.
Everett Garrison, 1902-1906.
William J. Blake, Jr., 1907 to present time.
Supervisors from 1763 to inauguration of first city officers, March 12, 1866: Jonathan Hasbrouck, 1763; Lewis DuBois,
1764; John Handal, 1765; Benjamin Carpenter, 1766; Lewis DuBois, 1767; Edward Hallock, 1768; Batting Carpenter,
1769-1771; Jonathan Hasbrouck, 1772: John Flewwelling, 1773; Samuel Fowler, 1774; Volvert Acker, 1775; Morris Flewwelling,
1776: Wolyert Acker, 1777-1780; Thomas Palmer, 1781-1786; John Robinson, 1787-1788; Isaac Fowler, Jr,, 1789; John
Robinson, 1790-1791; Isaac Fowler, 1792-1795; Reuben Tooker, 1796-1807; Isaac Belknap, Jr., 1808; William Poss,
1809-1810; Jonathan Fisk, 1811: Leonard Smith, 1812-1818; Daniel Tooker, 1810-1820; Leonard Smith, 1822; William
Wear. Jr., 1823; William Walsh, 1824-1831; Robert Lawson, 1832-1833: William Walsh, '834; James G. Clinton, 1835-1836;
Daniel Tooker, 1837; David W. Bate, 1838: Jackson Oakley, 1839; David W. Bate, 1840-1844; John W. Brown, 1842;
David W. Bate, 1843-1846; Odell S. Hathaway, 1847-1849; Enoch Carter, 1850; Odell S, Hathaway, 1851; Enoch Carter,
1852; Samuel J. Barnum, 1853; Henry Walsh, 1854; Stephen W. Fullerton, 1855; Odell S. Hathaway, 1856; Albert Noe,
1857; Enoch Carter, 1858; Albert Noe, 1859-1860; Odell S. Hathaway, 1861-1863; William H. Beede, 1864: George W.
Underhill, 1865; C, Gilbert Fowler, 1866.
A FEW BRIEFS.
August 3, 1869, two acres were added to the grounds of Washington's Headquarters.
November 20, 1870, unparalleled rainstorm and destructive hurricane,
In 1870 population, 17,094.
November 4, 1871, Newburgh's contribution to Chicago's relief fund over $5,500.
January 1, 1872, Newburgh's first steam fire engine tested.
May 11, 1873, board of trustee created for Washington's Headsquarters,
February 13, 1878, new public library opened.
May 30, 1878, first exhibition of the phonograph in Newburgh.
September 25, 1878, Newburgh's contribution for relief of yellow fever sufferers in the South, $2,613.
July 5, 1879, mastodon unearthed at Little Britain.
July 28, 1879, movement to erect poles for first Newburgh telephone.
June 25, 1880, armory opened.
In 1880 population 18,049.
May 30, 1881, soldiers' and sailors' monument at Voodlawn Cemetery unveiled,
June 4, 1883, first train on West Shore Railroad from Newburgh to New York.
October 1, 1884, beginning of free mail delivery.
October 31, 1885, Moody and Sankey evangelistic meetings,
November 24, 1885, West Shore Railroad sold at Newburgh court house for $22,000,000,
September 2, 1886, new academy dedicated,
December 23, 1886, street railroad opened.
March 12, 1888, unprecedented snowstorm and blizzard.
September 17, 1888, Academy of Music opened.
March 19, 1889, electric fire alarm system adopted.
July 1, 1889, Newburgh's contribution for relief of Johnstown flood sufferers, $5,164.
September 27, 1889, display of national flag over the school buildings began.
In 1890 population 23,087.
October 6, 1896, unveiling of General George Clinton statue.
May 9, 1900, centennial celebration of Newburgh municipality.