History of Woodbury, NY
From: The History of Orange County, New York
Edited by: Russel Headley
Published by: Van Deusen and Elms
Middletown, New York, 1908
TOWN OF WOODBURY.
THE town of Woodbury is located in the southeast section of Orange County. Bounded on the north by the towns
of Blooming Grove and Cornwall, on the east by the town of Highland, on the south by Rockland County and the town
of Tuxedo, while the town of Monroe forms its western boundary. It has an area of 23,839 acres, and the title to
the soil is mainly derived through the Chesecook patent. The assessed valuation of real estate in the town in 1907
The southeastern portion of Orange County was settled mostly from the Eastern States and Long Island. The families were generally of English ancestry. All accounts of Revolutionary times indicate a population of considerable numbers in this territory. The Chesecook patent was granted in 1702, and there was no settlement for some years following that date. The Smiths were in this region as early as 1727, and the name Smith's Clove near the present village of Highland Mills appears in the town records of Cornwall of 1765. The records of Cornwall having been preserved, the following names are taken from them as having belonged to what is now the territory of Woodbury. Solomon Cromwell and Jonathan Hallock were among the earliest settlers. John Earle in 1765 was a chosen fence viewer for Woodbury Clove. He lived near Highland Mills. His sons were Peter, John and Solomon. Isaac and John Lamoreux are both mentioned in Cornwall records before the Revolution. Thomas Smith was overseer of highways in 1765. William Thorn was a justice of the peace in 1770 and lived at Highland Mills. Captain Austin Smith was chosen assessor in 1775. Nicholas Townsend came from Long Island previous to the Revolution. Tobias Weygant was a town officer of Monroe at the first town meeting in 1799. Jonathan Taylor, one of the first school commissioners, lived near Highland Mills, and Linus Rider lived on the "Ridge" west of the same hamlet. Patrick Ford lived near Woodbury Falls. His son, David Ford, was the father of ten children, of whom Charles T. was the eldest. Further reference to the early settlement of this locality is made in the historical sketch of the old town of Monroe.
In the year 1863 a movement was set on foot to divide the town of Monroe into three towns. A petition was sent to the board of supervisors, which was granted at its usual meeting. The names of the new towns were respectively Monroe, Highland and Southfield. Monroe held its town meeting March 22, 1864, electing Chauncey B. Knight, supervisor. Highland did likewise, choosing its old favorite, Morgan Shuit. The town of Southfield organized in the same manner, elected Josiah Patterson, supervisor. This triple division was at length disapproved, and in 1865 the Legislature was asked to overrule the action of the board and reorganize the old town of Monroe. This movement was successful.
December 19, 1889, the board of supervisors, upon representation of the diverse interests of different parts of the town, resolved to redivide the same into three parts. The three new towns erected were named respectively, Monroe, Woodbury and Tuxedo. The lines were run so as to give Monroe 12,101 acres, Woodbury 23,839 acres and Tuxedo 27,839 acres. It was further resolved that the division of the town should be made on the old lines, but that the names Woodbury and Tuxedo should be substituted for Highland and Southfield. The reason advanced for this redivision was that the town was too large and its interests too diverse for harmonious government. In January, 1890, John A. Patterson represented the newly created town of Woodbury in the board of supervisors. Tames Seaman was the second supervisor from this town, Alexander Thompson the third, and William E. Ferguson, who was elected November, 1907, the fourth. The town hall is located at Highland Mills, where the present town clerk, B. S. Pembleton, resides. The assessors in 1907 are Charles Jones and William Wilson, of Highland Mills, and Richard Buliwinkle, of Central Valley. The highway commissioners are E. C. Cunningham, of Central Valley, N. B. Hunter, of Highland Mills, and John H. Hunter, of Woodbury Falls. The justices of the peace are W. M. Gildersleeve and John Rodgers, of Central Valley, Amos W. Sutherland, of Highland Mills, and Charles E. Hand, of Mountainville. The town is divided into four school districts, of which the Free School at Central Valley is the most important. A new school building is in course of construction at Highland Mills at a cost of $18,000. Places of worship include the Friends' churches at Woodbury Falls and Highland Mills, a Methodist Episcopal church at Highland Mills and another of the same denomination at Central Valley. A Roman Catholic church is now being erected midway between Central Valley and Highland Mills. The Society of Friends had a meeting house in Cornwall, built before 1788, and it was the only meeting house or church in that town until 1825. The meeting house at Smith's Clove was built in 1799. After the separation of the society in 1828, a meeting house one and a half miles easterly of Highland Mills was built. The first Methodist Episcopal church in the old town of Monroe was organized and duly incorporated May 2, 1829, and a church edifice soon afterward erected at Highland Mills.
Central Valley, a noted summer resort, is the most thriving and populated village in the town, on the Newburgh
branch of the. Erie railroad. A post office was established here December 27, 1871. Alfred Cooper was apointed
postmaster and held the position many years. Mr. J. M. nes received the appointment of postmaster in 1885 and again
in 1892. Henry T. Ford, the present incumbent, received the appointment July 15, 1899. Among the leading industries
of the village is the Bamboo Fishing food factory of which Reuben Leonard is superintendent. This was established
by the late Hiram L. Leonard, who came to Central Valley in 1881. he Leonard rods are shipped to all parts of the
world where fly fishing s pursued. The carriage factory of R. F. Weygant's Sons is another important industry.
It was established in 1867 by Robert F. Weygant, who died September 3, 1902. He was a descendant of Michael Weigand
of the Rhine Palatinate, who settled at Newburgh in 1709. The sons, Frank E. and Fred, conduct the Central Valley
establishment, and William M. operates the blacksmith shop and garage at Tuxedo. The flour and grain warehouse
of J. M. Barnes had an extensive trade. Mr. Barnes located in Central Valley in 1876, engaging in the mercantile
business with Alfred Cooper. In this village is located the office of the superintendent of the Good Roads Construction
Company, Mr. Charles T. Ford, who in his sixty third year is one of the most active citizens in the county. Many
miles of good roads in Orange County are evidence of the splendid work accomplished under his direction. Here also
is a branch of the Arden Farms Dairy Company. Both these enterprises are the product of Mr. E. H. Harriman, who
owns extensive farms throughout this section. Mr. Isaac L. Noxon erected many of the beautiful homes and other
substantial structures in and adjoining the village. He also conducted for a time a classical boarding school.
Here also was the home of the Cornell Institute, a high class boarding and clay school of which Mr. David Cornell
was principal. In the fall of 1885 Tomas Estrada Palma established the Palma Institute over which he presided.
It was a school for boys in which they were prepared for college, English, French and Spanish being taught. Mr.
Palma was a Cuban and in 1868 joined the Revolutionists. After fighting nine years he was captured and taken to
Spain, where he spent a year in prison. His first visit to Central Valley was in 1879, making his home here with
Mr. David Corgi "Falkirk," an institution designed and built for the special care of patie. suffering
from nervous diseases, was founded by Dr. James Fran Ferguson in 1889. Its elevated location, a mile and a half
from the village, and the beautiful surroundings, contribute to make an ideal home is such patients. Following
the death of Dr. Ferguson in 1904, the saxtariun was conducted for two years by Dr. Henry A. Ferguson and William
E. Ferguson, when it was purchased by Dr. Carlos F. MacDonald who has associated with him Dr. Clarence J. Slocum
as resident physician. Among the New Yorkers who occupy their homes here during the entire year may be mentioned
Mr. Edward Cornell, Mr. W. E. Ferguson, Mr. Davidson, Mr. Theboldt and Mr. Buliwinkle.