CLARENDON was formed from Sweden, Monroe County, February 23, 1821. It lies in the south-east corner of the County
and is watered by the East Branch of Sandy Creek and its tributaries. This stream rises in the Tonawanda Swamp
and, flows north through the town. There are two waterfalls upon the stream, one at Clarendon village and the other
at the north part of the towns both of which afford valuable water powers for mill sites. The surface along the
line of the Mountain Ridge is broken, but in other parts it is level or slightly undulating. The soil is a sandy
loam, somewhat stony in the north part. Limestone for building purposes, and hydraulic lime, have been obtained
Clarendon, (p. v.,) situated on Sandy Creek, a little north-west of the center, contains two churches, a hotel,
several stores, two saw mills, a flouring mill, a wagon shop, several other mechanic shops of various kinds and
about thirty dwellings.
The first settlement within the limits of this town was made in 1811, at the village of Clarendon, by Eldridge
Farwell. The place was for some years known as Farwell’s Mills. Benjamin Thomas, Benajah Warden, Elisha Huntly,
John Cane, John Stephens, David Church and Chauncey Robinson, were among the other early settlers. Mr. Robinson
was born in Durham, Conn., January 5th, 1792. When he was two years old his father removed to Sauquoit, Oneida
County, where Chauncey remained until 1813, when he settled in Clarendon, about two miles south of Farwell’s Mills.
Here he cleared one hundred acres of heavy timbered land and continued to cultivate it until 1851, when he gave
up farming and went to Holley. In 1814 Mr. Robinson promptly responded to the call to defend the country against
the British aggression, and was in the battle at Fort Erie, September 17, 1814.
Eldridge Farwell erected the first saw mill on Sandy Creek in 1811, and the first grist mill in 1813. The first
store was kept by Hiram Frisbee in 1821, and the first school was taught by Mrs. Amanda Bills.
From the Records of the Pioneer Association we learn that Horace Peck came to this town with his parents in 1817.
He was born in Farmington, Conn., but had spent several years with his parents in Onondaga County. He taught school
during the winter of 1819—20, for ten dollars a month, and continued to teach for ten consecutive winters, working
upon a farm in the summer. The young people were fond of parties and Mr. Peck used to take the ladies with an ox
team, and enjoyed it quite as well as in after years when a carriage and horses were used for the same purpose.
Mr. Luther C. Peck, an older brother of Horace, taught school in the winter of 1818—19, near Holley village, three
months, and received for his services thirty bushels of wheat, delivered after the next harvest. The wheat was
sold in Rochester, and, after deducting the expenses, the net proceeds were thirty-one cents per bushel. Mr. Peck
has since become a distinguished lawyer in Livingston County.
Israel Cady came to Clarendon in 1815. ile was from Vermont, and came on foot, arriving with eleven dollars in
his pocket. He located on lot 137, Township 3, where he has cleared one hundred and fifty acres. N. E. Darrow came
in the same year, with his widowed mother, who afterwards married Bradstreet Spafford, who settled in 1812.
The population of Clarendon in 1865 was 1,800, and its area 21,162 acres.
The town contains fifteen school districts and parts of districts, in ten of which the school houses are in this
town. The number of teachers employed. is eleven; the number of children of school age is 594; the number enrolled
in the schools, 509; the average attendance, 244, and the amount expended for school purposes during the year ending
September 30, 1868, $4,361.40.