This is continued from part 1 of the History of Richland,
Pulaski village. - The first settler
within the present corporate limits of Pulaski was Benjamin Winch, who located here in 1804 and soon afterward
erected the first tavern in the town near the site of the old Palmer House. It was a log structure, and its subsequent
proprietors were John Hoar and P. A. Mathewson. The latter came here in 1806. He was born in Scituate, R. I., and
was the father of the late Jeremiah A. Mathewson, who was long recognized as authority on local history. In 18o5
came the families of William Smith, who lived near the depot; Daniel Stone and Jonathan Rhodes, who occupied jointly
a log house standing on the site of the residence of Lucius Jones; Rufus Fox, who settled where the Baptist church
now stands; and Erastus Kellogg, a blacksmith, who located a few rods north of the Froud block, and whose house
was the first frame building in the village. Mr. Fox subsequently removed to a point two miles up the river at
what is called Fox's bridge. His son Justus died in town aged eighty years; Justus, jr., a son of the latter, resides
two miles east of Pulaski. Hiram, who lived near the old homestead, was another son of Justus Fox, sr. John Jones,
father of Charles, came from Oneida county in 1808. Two other early settlers were Thomas and Rufus Bishop.
In 1810 a new impetus was given to the infant settlement and thenceforward its growth was rapid and permanent.
The exceptional waterpower and natural advantages gave the locality a reputation and settlers came in rapidly,
several of whom have been mentioned. Capt. John Meacham. who had located in Sandy Creek, moved that year to the
embryo village, took up his residence in the Stone and Rhodes log house, and opened a store - the first in the
town - on the corner of Bridge and Jefferson streets. With him came Henry Patterson, a hatter. Silas Harmon became
a business partner of Captain Meacham in 1811, and soon afterward the firm was succeeded by Milton Harmon, a nephew
of Silas. It is evident that a considerable settlement had been effected by 1812, for in that year a militia company
was raised, under Captain Meacham, which was twice called to the defense of Sackett's Harbor and once to Oswego.
During the year 1812 Hudson Tracy and John S. Davis became settlers. Mr. Davis was prominent in both town and county,
serving the latter as its first sheriff. The first court at which a jury was drawn was held in Pulaski in February,
1817, and two years later, in 1819, the court house was erected, the building committee being Simon Meacham, John
S. Davis, and Ebenezer Young; James Weed was the builder. This structure was rebuilt and enlarged in 1859; a jail
annex was erected in 1887.
One of the most interesting recollections associated with the early days of Pulaski is the general training, which
occurred annually on the village green in front of the court house. These stirring events brought hither all the
able bodied men and crowds of spectators for miles around, and in themselves were legitimate occasions for fun
and frolic. The public square was then unoccupied to the Methodist church, and afforded one of the best training
grounds in the vicinity. The commandant for many years was Col. Thomas S. Meacham, whose personality lent a peculiar
charm and enthusiasm to the military spirit of the time. The officers were wont to regale themselves at the tavern
which stood on the site of the Salmon River House, while their troops and visitors devoured gingerbread and cider
with an appetite sharpened by travel and drill,
Among other earlier settlers in the village were Gershom Hale, Jacob Weed and sons, Jehiel Weed and sons (Joel
and Ezra), Amos Fellows, Oliver Ramsdell, Henry Mitchell, Joel Harmon, and Angus McFee. The first physician was
Dr. Isaac Whitmore, who came from Madison county and settled on the south side of the river in 1810; other medical
practitioners were Drs. Allen Andrews, Gridley about 1815, and H. F. Noyes. The first to practice law was Benjamin
Winch, but the first regular lawyer was James A. Davis; among other early attorneys were Chester Hayden, Abram
P. Vosburg, J. W. Helm; James J. Pettit, and Harvey J. Harmon.
The first grist mill was erected by J. A. Mathewson on the site of Charles Tollner's box factory in 1808. Two years
later he built a second mill. The original part of the old "red mill," which burned March 2o, 1890, was
erected in 1825; an addition was made in 1834, and afterward it was repaired and improved. Its successive owners
were J. A. Mathewson, Arthur & Charles Mathewson in 1840, Porter & Ellis, Porter & G. W. Fuller, Johnson
& Taylor, Johnson & June in 1860, Jeremiah A. Mathewson in 1864, George Woods, Dunn & Hohman in 1870,
and Mr. Dunn in 1877. G. W. Fuller had also a potashery, which was destroyed by fire in November, 1847. A. H. Stevens
conducted a hat factory here many years, a part of the time in what is now the dwelling of George Washington, and
Hiram Lewis started a similar establishment about 1831. Hudson Tracy and John S. Davis built the first carding
and cloth dressing mill, which was subsequently operated by Stearns & West, in whose possession it burned April
The first newspaper printed in the village was the Pulaski Banner, which was started in 1830, and a copy dated
November 8, 1831, contains the following advertisers: John H. Wells, notice to delinquent debtors; D. Stillman,
tin manufactory; County & Stage House, James Wood, proprietor, north side of Salmon River, fronting Public
Square;" Benjamin H. Wright, land for sale; Ralph French, patent medicines; Hiram Lewis, "new hat store
and manufactory;" Allen & Hale, merchants; Charles E. Barkley, painting and chairmaking; Luke Wood, tannery
and shoe shop; M. W. Southworth, select school in Masonic hall (where the Congregational church now stands); Wells
& Hall, general merchants; John O. Dickey, lottery agent; E. S. Salisbury, tailor.
The following description appears in "Historical Collections of the State of New York," published in
Pulaski village, half-shire town, was incorporated in 1833. Centrally situated on Salmon River, 4 miles from its
confluence with Lake Ontario, 39 north of Salina [Syracuse], and 60 from Utica. The river at this place affords
considerable waterpower, on which are a number of grist and saw mills, and several manufacturing establishments.
There are about eighty dwellings, a number of churches, a court house and prison.
The Pulaski Courier of August 22, 1844, contained the advertisements of C. & J. A. Rhodes, A. Z. McCarty, and
John B. Watson, attorneys; Hiram Murdock, John M. Watson, J. V. Kendall (" in office lately occupied by Dr.
Noyes,") and George O. Gilbert, physicians; G. W. Fuller, general merchant; John David, wagon shop; Allen
Crandall, blacksmith; Eagle Tavern, A. McLean, proprietor; John Jones, blacksmith; Pulaski livery stable; D. H.
Fisk, dry goods; Dewey C. Salisbury, tanner and leather manufacturer; Wardwell & Stillman, general merchants;
Mrs. Fisk, milliner; E. M. Hill, grocer; Henry Mitchell, tailor; Stearns & West, woolen manufacturers; Sidney
M. Tucker, harnessmaker; Samuel Hale, boots and shoes; Edward S. Salisbury, tailor; Jacob Smith, hats and furs;
George Gurley, cabinet maker; John Box, jr., blacksmith; A. H. Stevens, hats and furs and hat factory; L. B. Norton,
The same newspaper in 1847, bearing the name of Richland Courier, contained many of the above advertisers and also
the names of
Daniel McCarty and J. T. Stevens, attorneys; Hiram Murdock & Son and H. F. Noyes, physicians; Box & Robbins,
blacksmiths; John C. Pride, cooper; Miss W. A. Gilbert, milliner; Pulaski paper mill, Tallmadge, Wright & Co.,
proprietors, "foot of Church street;" Eagle furnace, plow and stove manufactory, Snow & Dodge, proprietors,
corner of Mill and Furnace streets; Charles H. Cross, engineer and surveyor; Sykes & Mathewson (succeeded this
year by Sykes & Goodwin), merchants; James A. Clark, Frey Lane, Jones & Angell, N. M. Wardwell, general
merchants; Mansfield & Doane, grocers and produce dealers; D. S. Robinson and L. B. Rice, painters; William
S. Carpenter, "successor to E. S. Salisbury," tailor; A. F. Mathewson, jeweler; William June, tailor;
Henry Emerson, hats, etc.; Meacham & Crandall, stoves and hardware; A. C. Burton, harnessmaker; Mrs. E. Way,
milliner; R. B. Boynton, machinist; J. A. Clark, variety store; Charles G. Hinman, wagon shop; Barney Peck, livery.
The Eagle Furnace (Pulaski foundry) here mentioned was purchased by Benjamin Snow in 1832, and among its proprietors
were Snow & Greenwood, Snow, Brown & Simmons, Snow & Thomas, Snow & Dodge, Snow & Fisher, Fisher
& Norman Snow, Fisher & Wood, and Fisher & Ling. John David was succeeded in 1848 by Charles H. David.
The firm of Tallmadge, Wright & Co. was composed of D. P. Tallmadge, William E. Wright and William H. Gray.
The partnership was dissolved October 28, 1847, and Mr. Wright continued the manufacture of paper alone. The firm
also conducted a printing establishment and a book bindery and turned out a number of books.
The Pulaski Banner was the first paper established in the county outside of Oswego. It was started in April, 1830,
and published by Nathan Randall in the village until 1832, when he sold it to A. A. Mathewson and G. G. Foster,
who disposed of it in 1833 to James Geddes. The latter suspended its publication in 1834. In 1836 Daniel Ayer purchased
the material and began issuing the Pulaski Advocate, which he sold in 1838 to a Mr. Dickinson, who at that time
owned the Port Ontario Aurora. Mr. Dickinson consolidated the two papers under the name of the Pulaski Advocate
and Aurora, and early in 1840 sold out to Daniel Ayer, who discarded the last name and published the Advocate until
1842, when it was discontinued. In 1843 William H. S. Winans established the Pulaski Courier and on February 25,
1847, sold it to A. A. Mathewson, who changed the name to Richland Courier and continued the publication until
September 25, 1850, when Joseph C. Hatch, a brilliant writer and an able editor, purchased the establishment. Mr.
Hatch changed its name to the Northern Democrat and on July 21, 1853, resigned the editorship to Beman Brockway,
subsequently the founder and editor of the Watertown Times, who changed the name to the Pulaski Democrat, which
it has ever since borne. December 8, 1853, Mr. Hatch resumed the editorial charge and in 1855 was succeeded by
Stephen C. Miller with Don A. King at the financial helm. Professor Miller died in November, 1869, and the paper
and material passed into possession of Lawson Reade Muzzy, the present editor and publisher, who enlarged it to
its present size in January, 1894. The Democrat originally advocated the principles of the Democratic party, but
since 1869 it has been an independent sheet with Republican tendencies. It has never missed an issue; immediately
after the great fire of October, 1881, an extra was published from one of the churches. Mr. Muzzy is one of the
ablest editors in the county. He is prominently identified with the affairs of his village and town and has served
as postmaster one term and as supervisor several years.
Among the old time merchants not previously mentioned were:
Thomas C. Baker (father in law of Don A. King), Douglass & Watson, Allen & Hale, Hale & Smith, Baker
& Preston, Jones & Clark, John H. Wells, J. Manning Hall, Newell Wright, Luther Allen, John L. Dickinson,
C. W. Smart & Co. (books), D. W. Groat (harnesses), Newell Wright and James Crawford (partners), A. R. Angell
and Calvin Seeley (partners), C. R. Jones and J. T. McCarty (successors to Jones & Angell), John H. and George
O. Gilbert (drugs), G. W. Bond & Co., James A. Clark & Co. Meacham & Cronk (successors to Meacham &
Norton, who succeeded Meacham & Crandall in 1848, hardware), Charles Bishop (shoes), Allen Crandall (hardware),
R. Allen (bakery, succeeded by William C. Hempstead in 1848), Harmon Cronk (successor to Meacham & Cronk in
1853), Norton & Fuller, L. A. Gaylord (,jewelry), S. H. Meacham (books), and E. Macomber (successor to Jones
The next hotel after Benjamin Winch's primitive tavern was built in 1807 and stood near the site occupied by the
old Pulaski House. It was erected by P. A. Mathewson. On the site a small inn was erected in 1810, and to it an
addition was made in 1812. In 1829 the main part was built "at a cost of $1,884.58." Among its earlier
P. A. Mathewson, E. Young, Silas Harmon, Anson Maltby, Robert Kelley, Dr. Lewis, J. A. Mathewson (from 1840 to
1863), Joseph Curtis, Huggins & Taylor, Mr. Baldwin, Mr. Helmer, N. Johnson, Mr. Stacy, W. H. Gray, G. L. Hubbs,
S. A. Palmer and Mr. Van Patten.
The Pulaski House, formerly the Palmer House, under the proprietorship of S. A. Palmer, was destroyed by fire March
11, 1890. Other taverns were Brainard's Hotel, Levi Brainard, proprietor, changed to the Salmon River House in
May, 1849, by J. A. Ford, landlord; Pulaski Temperance House, corner of Jefferson and Furnace streets, Henry Emerson,
proprietor; and California House, O. B. Macy, proprietor.
Of the various enterprises that have had an existence in Pulaski may be mentioned those of Lafayette Alfred, sash
and blind factory, started in 1848; Ingersoll & Osgood's carriage manufactory; Benjamin Dow, machinist and
millwright; David Bennett, jr., and Albert Maltby's Empire machine shop; and the old Eagle oil mill, which was
leased for a time by G. B. Griffin, who was succeeded in April, 1854, by A. B. Collins and A. M. Duncan. The Ingersoll
planing mill property was purchased by the Wilder Carriage Company in October, 1891, and has since been utilized
as a carriage factory.
The most important manufacturing industry, however, that ever flourished in the village or town is the large fancy
box factory of Charles Tollner. Beginning with no capital save that of his trade, Mr. Toliner has established one
of the most extensive business enterprises in Northern New York, an enterprise which has brought thousands of dollars
into the community and furnished remunerative employment to hundreds of people. January 14, 1886, the entire establishment
was destroyed by fire, entailing a loss of about $30,000. With commendable public spirit the citizens and employees
immediately joined in rebuilding the plant, which is one of the finest in the country. Mr. Tollner is foremost
in all matters pertaining to the village, liberally encouraging with his large wealth and personal activity every
movement having for its object the improvement of the community.
The first post office was established January 1, 1817, under the name of Richland, with Henry White as postmaster.
Following him came Orville Morrison in 1818, Hiram Hubbell in 1819, Daniel H. Fisk in 1842, Henry N. Wright in
December, 1844, Joseph T. Stevens in 1849, Benjamin Rhodes in 1851, and Newell Wright in 1852. January 27, 1853,
the name was changed to Pulaski. July 14, 1853, William C. Hempstead was appointed; Henry N. Wright in 1856; John
B. Watson in 1861; Henry N. Wright in 1866; and John B. Watson in 1867. It was made a presidential office in 1871
and on March 28 of that year John B. Watson was appointed postmaster; following him came John T. McCarty in 1881,
Don C. Bishop (five months, appointment not confirmed), Lawson R. Muzzy, John T. McCarty again, and Don C. Bishop
since November, 1888. Mr. Muzzy, at his own expense, placed the present handsome and convenient cabinet in the
office, which occupies the lower story of his brick building.
Pulaski village was incorporated April 26, 1832; in 1849 the limits were enlarged to the present area. April 18,
1838, the charter was slightly amended, and May 25, 1858, a re-incorporation was effected. March 24, 1871, the
charter was amended relative to granting licenses, and March 29, 1883, it was further amended by placing the cemetery
under the control of three commissioners, who were to hold office, each three years. April 10, 1884, it was again
amended, and on June 3, of the same year it was voted to incorporate under the laws of 1870. The first officers,
chosen in 1832, were: Abner French, president; Isaac H. Stearns, Hiram Hubbell, Benjamin H. Wright and John H.
Wells, trustees; John L. Dickinson, clerk; Thomas C. Baker, John L.Dickinson and Casper C. West, assessors; L.
B. Cole, collector; Isaac Whitmore, treasurer.
The officers for 1894-95 were as follows:
Albert F. Betts, president; Dwight C. Dodge, George W. Douglass and Charles F. Woods, trustees; William B. Dixson,
treasurer; Latham D. Potter, collector; Burns E. Parkhurst, clerk (since 1882); Lorenzo Ling, Oron V. Davis and
Charles Milner water commissioners; Silas W. Holmes, street commissioner; Latham D. Potter and B. E. Parkhurst,
justices of the peace.
Few communities in the State have suffered more severely from the ravages of fire than Pulaski. Thirteen years
ago nearly the entire business portion was destroyed yet, phoenix like, it rose from the ashes a better and more
attractive village, a fact that speaks volumes for the courage, enterprise and public spirit of its inhabitants.
April 21, 1852, the woolen factory of Stearns & West, the tannery of George T. Peckham, and two or more dwellings
were burned, causing a loss of $16,000. In August, 1853, a Button hand fire engine was purchased at a cost of $850,
which appears to have been the initial effort to establish an organized fire protection. May 9, 1873, Ringgold
Fire Company No. I was incorporated by Richard W. Box, Nathan B. Smith, B. D. Salisbury, A. N. Beadle, Dwight C.
Dodge, Sidney F. Doane, George H. Fuller and Lewis J. Macy.
On October 6, 1881, occurred the great conflagration which proved so disastrous, and by which more than sixty persons
or firms suffered loss of property. The burned district, comprising the entire business part of the village, extended
from North Park to the iron bridge and from Salmon River to the west side of Broad street. The principal sufferers,
with their estimated losses, were Dr. James N. Betts, $20,000; H. B. Clark, $18,000; W. H. Gray (Salmon River House),
over $12,000; George W. Douglass, $9,000; Pulaski National Bank, $10,000; Democrat office, $5,500; John F. Box,
$17,000; Sidney M. Tucker, $10,000; and the Ringgold Fire Company's house. The Betts opera house was built in 1883,
and in 1884 a new engine house was erected at a cost of $2,175. January 15, 1886, Charles Tollner's box factory
and residence were burned, entailing a loss of $45,000, and in March following the Austin block was destroyed,
the loss being about $50,000. In that year the present system of water works was constructed, the village being
bonded in the sum of $25,000 for the purpose, payable in twenty years. The water is obtained from a large spring
on Spring Brook, about four miles east of Pulaski, whence it is conveyed by the gravity system to a reservoir of
three acres in area, situated inside of the corporate limits. The plant is owned by the corporation and controlled
by a board of three commissioners.
The fire department, of which R. W. Box is chief, consists of Ringgold. Fire Co., F. G. Whitney, president; Tollner
Fire Co., Charles Tollner, president; Hose Co., No. r, R. D. Box, foreman; and Hose Co., No. 2, S. W. Holmes, foreman.
The Pulaski Gas and Oil Company, Ltd., was organized in 1889, with L. J. Clark as president, and immediately began
to drill for natural gas on Mill street within the village limits. Gas was struck at a depth of 980 feet, and during
the night blew the drill, rope, and 500 feet of casing through a four foot opening in the derrick, causing a tremendous
explosion. The well was plugged and work suspended, but the franchise remained in possession of the company until
the spring of 1894, when it was purchased by Charles Tollner, who has since put down several wells, and whose family
was the first to use natural gas in Pulaski. He has laid eight or ten miles of gas mains for the purpose of supplying
patrons in the village.
In November, 1885. Charles Tollner placed an electric plant in operation in his box factory, which was destroyed
by fire the next year. The new factory was similarly equipped, the system was soon extended to others, and October
2, 1893, the village by vote decided to become a patron.
The first bank established in Pulaski was the Pulaski Bank, which was started in September, 1853, by R. L. Ingersoll
and S. R. Ingham, who occupied respectively the positions of president and cashier. Its nominal capital was $100,000.
In 1862 the name was changed to R. L. Ingersoll & Company's Bank, which it retained until about ten years ago,
when it wound up its affairs and went out of existence.
The Pulaski National Bank had its beginning in the State Bank of J. A. Clark & Co., which was organized September
1, 1862, with J. A. Clark as president and Charles A. Clark as cashier, and which was permanently discontinued
about 1871. The first named institution was chartered July 31, 1865, with Charles A. Clark as president and James
A. Clark as cashier. It had a capital of $100,000, of which $50,000 was paid up. In 1874 Lewis J., a son of James
A. Clark, was appointed assistant cashier The present board of directors is composed of Ella M. Clark, president,
L. J. Clark, Charles A. Peck, Mrs. Nellie T. Peck, and Mrs. O. H. Peck. The present brick bank building was erected
In November, 1894, the Pulaski Business Association wads organized with J. L. Hutchens as corresponding secretary.
It is composed of the enterprising business men of the village, and was formed for the purpose of fostering and
encouraging local manufacturing and commercial interests.
Pulaski village has a thrifty population of 1,517. Since 1850, when the railroad was commenced, it has gone forward
with substantial growth and steady development.
Port Ontario, "a city of
unrealized possibilities," situated at the mouth of Salmon River, has an early history which almost rivals
that of Oswego, of which place it became an active rival for shipping and other lake interests. It was the site
of the first permanent settlement in Richland, and from an early day was regarded as a natural harbor. Some time
prior to 1836 John L. and Asa C. Dickinson. Elias Camp, and Colonel Robert Nickles, conceiving the idea that a
city must spring up here, organized the Port Ontario Company and immediately surveyed a large tract of land into
building lots, "the usual size" of which was "67 by 174 feet." Colonel Nickles was the surveyor,
and in that year he made an elaborate map of the "Village of Port Ontario," which is now in the possession
of L. R. Muzzy, of Pulaski. Beginning at the lake it describes the property in substance as follows: On the left
is Selkirk Lake, and a few rods above a slip with piers on either side is indicated. The mouth of Mill Creek is
designated "Mill slip." On the right are three slips, Nos. 3, 2, and 1 respectively, and opposite No.
are Kewana and Meadow Islands, while between these is Great Day Island. Then comes Salmon Island, over which a
bridge connects the two shores. Just below is Bird Island, and opposite this, on the south bank, is the hydraulic
canal, running up and parallel with the river. Above the bridge are Susan F., Genesee, Maryann, Martha, Surveyors,
Maria, Crab, Julia, and Adcane Islands. Two public squares, one on either side of the river, are indicated on the
plat, while on the south side is a lot reserved for school purposes.
The new city was announced with a flourish of trumpets, and lots sold at exorbitant prices. April 24, 1837, the
village was incorporated, and May 16 the Legislature chartered the Salmon River Harbor Canal Company, which was
organized for the purpose of constructing a canal "from the original lake to the village of Port Ontario."
The capital stock aggregated $350,000. In November, 1837, the Port. Ontario Aurora was established. It was "printed
for the proprietors by L. W. Cole at the corner of Bridge and Pulaski streets." It was a large four page sheet,
edited by E. J. Van Cleve, and a copy dated December 6, 1837, contains the following advertisements:
O. E. Dwight, painter; Mercy Clark, tailoring and mantua making; Libbeus Marshall, cabinet maker; J. O. Olcott.
blacksmith; K. Manwaring, lime, etc.; Robert Nickles, "village lots in First ward, Port Ontario, for sale;"
Robert Nickles and A. H. Lawrence, agents for lands in Jefferson, Lewis and Oswego counties; Port Ontario House
(4th ward), S. Mason proprietor; Selkirk Hotel (1st ward), J. M. Stacy and B. Ripson proprietors; J. S. Nickles
and Smith & Potts, general merchants: J. Palden, boots and shoes; H. L. Allen and J. Conover, carpenters; H.
M. Cross, marble, etc.; Isaac Young, grocer; Stephen L. West, blacksmith; James Gore, jeweler; Mitchell & Pride,
tailors; Caleb Wells, shoemaker.
Afterward N. W. Fisher became a general merchant and John Meacham & Co. and Shepard & Gillespie established
a forwarding and commission business.
In 1838, after an existence of about six months, the Aurora was purchased by a Mr. Dickinson and moved to Pulaski,
when it was united with the Advocate under the name of the Pulaski Advocate and Aurora.
In 1838 a lighthouse was built and in 1855 it was refitted. The contractors of the original structure, which cost
about $8,000, were Joseph Gibbs and Abner French. For several years it remained unused, but recently it has been
relighted and is now maintained. A postoffice was obtained and is still continued, the present postmaster being
Perry Hardy, who succeeded S. A. Smith in May, 1887. The sanguine hopes of the enterprising progenitors were never
realized. Trade and commerce were diverted to other centers and Port Ontario was left a quiet rural hamlet, beautified,
however, by a wide expanse of water.
Richland Station (Richland postoffice),
a small village in the northeast corner of the town, from which it derives its name, is principally noted as a
railroad junction and transfer point in shipping coal, etc. It dates its existence from the completion of the railroad,
before which it had only a saw mill and a house or two. Among the merchants here have been a Mr. Aldrich, Ira Doane,
Captain Sprague, S C. Davis, Monroe Wright, William Averill, James C. Van Epps, Lafayette Erskine, O. D. Moore
(father of the present postmaster, Fred M.), and Charles Field. Those now in business are G. H. Mellen, William
D. Streeter, and J. P. Washburn. Henry H. Mellen, a cousin of G. H., was for several years a prominent business
man here, being postmaster, hotel keeper, and station agent. Mr. Field established and for a number of years actively
conducted a trout farm near the village. Among the hotel proprietors may be mentioned O. D. Moore, where John Doneburg
now is; Albert Wright, the oldest landlord in Richland Station; Mr. Frost, who was succeeded by his family; and
Henry H. Mellen. who built the Trout Brook House in 1853.
Holmesville (South Richland postoffice)
is a station on the Syracuse division of the R., W. & O. Railroad, south of Pulaski and was named in honor
of the large family of Holmes who settled in the vicinity at an early day. Of their number was Jabin Holmes, a
native of Cherry Valley, N. Y., and a pensioner of the war of 1812, who lived to over 100 years old. He was the
father of Norton P. Holmes. A tannery flourished here until March 14, 1886, when it was burned. The present postmaster
is George L. Varney, who succeeded Isaac L. Rich.
Daysville is a postoffice and
station on the Oswego and Richland division of the R., W. & O. Railroad. Its principal business interests are
the saw, cider, and shingle mill and evaporator of D. E. Huff and the general store of Brown & Co. Florence
L. Brown is postmistress.
Churches. - The first religious organization in this town was the First Congregational society and church of Richland
(in Pulaski), which was organized at the house of Erastus Kellogg on the 22d of January, 1811; the certificate
of incorporation was filed in the county clerk's office February 25 of that year. The society had its beginning,
however, in a preliminary association of nine persons in Pawlet, Vt., namely, Thaddeus Harmon, John Meacham, Levi
Meacham, Joel Harmon, Simon Meacham, Lucy Meacham, Olive Hall, Polly Meacham, and Ruth Harmon, who met for the
purpose before their departure for Richland, their future home. The first trustees of the church society, elected
January 22, 1817, were Timothy Maltby, Silas Harmon, Rufus Pierce, John Meacham, Erastus Kellogg, Dr. Moses R.
Porter, and Simon Meacham. Until 1817 this little band of worshipers held services in private dwellings. In that
year they established their spiritual home in the school house which then stood on the site of the old Cross land
office in Pulaski. Later they removed to the vicinity of the present Baptist church, and after the court house
was erected in 1819, meetings were held therein. In 1827 the first edifice, a frame structure, with galleries,
was erected at a cost of about $2,000. It stood on Church street and was subsequently converted into a school house,
the last service being held in it July 9, 1865, by Rev. David Spear, then in his eighty fifth year. He had also
preached the first sermon in the building after its completion and administered the first communion to the congregation.
A new church was built in 1866-7 and dedicated April 24. 1867, by Rev. Laurens P. Hickok, D.D., LL.D., president
of Union College. It cost $15,000, of which sum $1,500 were contributed by Deacon Simon Meacham. The first pastor,
Rev. Oliver Leavitt, accompanied the little colony from Pawlet to Richland and was installed December 24, 1811.
He remained until August 27, 1818, and among his successors were:
Rev. Oliver Ayer, February 20, 1822, to April 12, 1826; Rev. George Freeman, December 7, 1827, to January 22, 1830:;
Rev. Ralph Robinson, March 23, 1830, to January 28, 1846; Rev. Thomas Salmon, August 2, 1846, to June 15, 1847
(died December 4, 1854); Rev. Fayette Shepherd, May 19, 1855, to April 19, 1858; Rev. Lucien W. Cheney, October
10, 1858, to November 10, 1864. The successor of the latter was Rev. James Douglas.(4) The present pastor is Rev. A. S. Emmons. In
1817 the first Sunday school was organized with Dea. Simon Meacham as superintendent, and during the next year
a library was established.
The Methodist Episcopal church of Pulaski had its beginning in a series of meetings of this denomination which
were held in the dwelling of John Ingersoll and the tavern of Pliny Jones as early as 1811. The society was probably
organized as a class, if not as a church about 1813. Besides private houses and the tavern of Mr. Jones, services
were held with more or less regularity in the school house in Pulaski until the erection of the court house, when
the members shared the hospitalities of that building in common with other religious organizations. In 1832 the
church edifice was erected on Salina street on the site of the subsequent residence of Charles Hubbard. Many years
afterward the present structure was built, which was remodeled and repaired at a cost of $2,600 and reopened for
service December 18, 1888. Among the early preachers were Revs. Calkins, Bibbens, McNine, Fuller, Whitcomb, Chapin,
G. C. Woodruff, Bowdish, Hawkins, A. J. Phelps, Orlando C. Cole, William Jones, S. B. Crosier, and others. The
present pastor is Rev. Anson D. Webster, who is also the conference treasurer. The society has about 230 members.
The church property, including the parsonage, is valued at $9,200. The church is in the Oswego district of the
Northern New York Conference. The Sunday school has an average attendance of 120 scholars.
The Baptist church of Pulaski was organized at the court house June 9, 1828, in compliance with a resolution adopted
at a conference held May 17, of that year. Prior to that time Rev. Nathaniel Gitteau, "a very acceptable preacher,"
who died in 1827, formed the Baptists of the vicinity into a class for religious worship, and presided over them
in the capacity of a temporary minister. The recognition services creating the new society were solemnized by Rev.
R. T. Smith, Rev. Enos Ferris, and Rev. Timothy Brewster, and T. C. Baker was elected church clerk. On July 12
Benjamin Snow, sr., and T. C. Baker were chosen deacons. The constituent members were:
Jason Lothrop, Benjamin Snow, T. C. Baker, R. Clyne, Eli Greene, Horace Phillips, John Hendrickson, Sylvester Hills,
Oliver Allen, Mrs. Allen and daughter, Mrs. William Hale and daughter, Sibyl S. Baker, Lavina Snow, Delia Doane,
Betsey Jones, Polly Hendrickson, Charlotte Way, Amanda Weed, Susan Phillips, Lovina Meacham, Ann Fellows, Cynthia
Bass, Eliza Bragdon, and Fanny Manwarring.
At a metting held August 31, 1829, the project of building a church was inaugurated, but the edifice was not finished
and occupied until the summer of 1834. The pastor during this period was Rev. Jesse Elliott. Several years later,
and during the pastorate of Rev. S. J. Decker, the structure was repaired, enlarged, and for the first time dedicated.
The last sermon was delivered in this edifice July 22, 1894. Upon the original site, fronting on the south park,
the society has erected a new frame building at a cost of about $7,500. The corner stone was laid September 11,
1894, and the edifice was dedicated in May, 1895. The first pastor was Rev. Jason Lothrop; his successors have
Revs. Jesse Elliott, I. N. T. Tucker, C. B. Taylor, A. Webb, Charles Marshall, Thomas Bright, W. I. Crane, Lawson
Muzzy, S. J. Decker, M. V. Wilson, G. A. Ames, M. B. Comfort, J. J. Townsend, D. D. Owen, I. N. Steelman, and D.
J. Bailey, the present incumbent. The deacons are J. W. Wood, E. F. Smith, and Ephraim Averill. Benjamin Snow,
jr., is church clerk. The society has about 165 members, and a Sunday school of nearly 200 scholars, with J. L.
Hutchins as superintendents.
St. James Protestant Episcopal church of Pulaski was organized at the Court House August to, 1846, Hon. Andrew
Z. McCarty presiding at the meeting, with the following vestry: John David and Andrew Z. McCarty (wardens); John
Box, jr., Daniel McCarty, Jerome B Smith, Joseph T. Stevens, John A. Rose, Alden Crandall, Frey Lane, and J. C.
Rhoades, vestrymen. The founder and life long warden of the parish, and one of its most influential members, was
John David, who maintained lay reading whenever a vacancy in the rectorship occurred. The church was finished and
consecrated February 27, 185o, by Rt. Rev. William H. De Lancey, bishop of Western New York, at a cost of $2,500.
It was then regarded as one of the handsomest edifices in the diocese. It is 30x90 feet and was designed by Upjohn,
of New York. To aid in the erection of this structure Hon. William C. Pierrepont, of Pierrepont Manor, Jefferson
county, contributed $500 and for the rectory he gave $1,000. The earlier rectors of the parish were: Rev. Edward
De Zeng, Henry Stanley, Gordon M. Bradley, Andrew Oliver, Joshua L. Harrison, Moses E. Wilson, Peter B. Morrison,
Milton B. Benton, Gilbert B. Hayden, and others. The present rector is Rev. Robert Paul.
St. John the Evangelist's Roman Catholic church of Pulaski was built in 1888, the corner stone being laid on August
28, of that year. It stands on the corner of Park and Niagara streets, cost about $2,500, and was consecrated January
16, 1889. The first pastor was Rev. Father Barrily.
The Baptist church of South Richland was organized at the house of Col. Robert Gillespie on the 7th of October,
1817, and four days afterward Rev. Enos Ferris was installed the first pastor. He served many years and during
the earlier existence of the society meetings were held in private dwellings or barns. In 1840 the church edifice
was completed, the first service therein being held on April 17 of that year. The society now has about thirty
five resident members, under the pastoral care of Rev. Jabez Ford, supply. The last regular pastor was Rev. G.
W. Lewis, who closed his labor there March I, 1894. The value of the property is $2,800. The superintendent of
the Sunday school is B. D. Burdick.
The Methodist Episcopal church of South Richland was organized by Revs. G. C. Woodruff and Gardner Baker in June,
1840, with the fallowing constituent members: Solomon and Betsey Erskine, Phoebe Erskine, Betsey Dickinson, Rhoda
Stewart, Sebern Dickinson and wife, George H. English and wife, Timothy Steele and wife, Levi Cary and wife, and
Jonathan Sherwood and wife. For eighteen years services were held in the school house, the charge being at first
a part of the Pulaski circuit, subsequently (1844) a part of the Mexico circuit, and finally (1851) a separate
station. In 1858 the present edifice was built and dedicated, the meeting on the latter occasion being conducted
by Rev. George Sawyer, presiding elder, and Rev. J. H. Burnett, the pastor in charge. The structure cost $800.
The society is now under the pastoral care of Rev. H. R. Northrup. The Methodists at Daysville and vicinity maintain
services in a Union church at that place, which was erected many years ago, at an expense of $400. The congregation
is connected with the South Richland charge. The two societies have a membership of about 170 The entire church
property, including a parsonage, is valued at $3,100.
The First Methodist Episcopal church of Richland station was organized as a society at the school house in that
village on November 15, 1886, with about twenty members, by Rev. B. Day Brown, the first pastor. It was incorporated
and in 1887 the present frame edifice was erected, the dedication of which took place April 24, 1888; it cost about
$1,500. The first board of trustees consisted of H. H. Richardson, James Beeman, and E. D. Wells. The present trustees
are E. D. Wells, James C. Knight, and A. D. Bonner. The pastors have been Revs. B. Day Brown, Truman Weed, W. J.
Hancock, and W. H. Jago, the present incumbent. This church is connected with the Orwell charge.
The Church of Christ (Disciples) of Richland Station had its beginning in the labors of Elder John Encell, who
came there May 1, 1874, and held a series of meetings in the vacant store of H. H. Mellen. A society was organized
June 16, 1874, with about thirty six members, and on August 1 their present edifice was commenced; it was dedicated
June 16, 1878, and is valued with lot at $1,200. The first pastor was Rev. W. T. Newcomb, who was succeeded by
Rev. C. E. Wells. The present incumbent is Rev. Gilbert L. Harney. This was the first church at Richland Station
and has always maintained a steady growth.
At Port Ontario religious services were held at an early day and have been maintained with considerable regularity
down to the present time. An outgrowth of the work was the erection of Bethel church, which was dedicated January
9, 1850. Baptist services are conducted here by Rev. D. J. Baily, pastor of the Baptist church of Pulaski.
1) This river is named from the fish which once swarmed in its waters. The Indian name of the mouth of the river
was Otihatanque, while the French called it La Famine. See Windsor's Farr. and Crit. History of America, vol. 4,
pages 234, 259, 260 and 293. The bay now called Mexico Bay they called Famine Bay.
2) The organization of Sandy Creek in 1825 left Richland without a supervisor or town clerk, as those officers
(Simon Meacham and E. C, Hart) both resided within the limits of the new town; therefore, John C. Pride and Milton
Harmon were appointed to fill the respective positions, and were duly elected at the town meeting held a few weeks
3) French's State Gazetteer, a generally reliable work, states that the first marriage in Richland was that
of Samuel Crippen and Ruth Tuttle (probably a daughter of Nathan Tuttle, one of the first two settlers) in 1804,
but an old resident of the town who has given attention to local annals gives the honor to Joseph Spaids and Clara
4) Rev. James Douglas, son of Amos, was born in Franklin, N. Y., May 7, 1823, and died at Oberlin, Ohio, April
11, 1891, his remains being brought to Pulaski for interment. Amos Douglas was born in Stephentown, N. Y., June
21, 1779, and died March 19, 1857. He was descended from the New London family of that name and was graduated from
Williams College in 1798. Admitted to the bar at Albany in 1801, he began practice at Franklin, N. Y., in
1809, where he became the county judge and surrogate, and where he was active in founding the Delaware Literary
Institute, of whose board of trustees he was secretary twenty two years. Rev. James Douglas was graduated
from Hamilton College in 1865 and from Auburn Theological Seminary in 1850. For three years following be was professor
of Latin and Greek at Genesee College, N. Y. August 15, 1853, he was ordained and became pastor of the Congregational
church at Rutland, whence he removed to Pulaski and was installed pastor of the First Congregational church December
1, 1864, a position he filled with extraordinary ability until January 9, 1883, when he resigned. In 1886 he accepted
a lectureship in the Theological Seminary of Oberlin College where he remained until his death. He was an eloquent
sermonizer, a profound thinker, a lucid writer and a sympathetic friend.