Phoenix village. - In 1653 Simon Le Moyne, the French missionary, writes in his
journal: "Finally, a good league lower down [from what is now Three River Point], we meet a rapid, which gives
the name to a village of fishermen. I found there some of our Christians whom I had not seen." Many years
afterward the Paddocks and Aaron Gilbert (who settled in Lysander opposite Phoenix in 1818) discovered evidences
of a burying ground, indicating that a settlement existed on either side of the river at this point more than two
The village is pleasantly and advantageously situated about two miles below Three River Point, on the southwest
border of the town, and in early days was known as Three River Rifts. In 1828 it received its present name from
Alexander Phoenix, who purchased what is now known as the Phoenix patent from Ezra L'Hommedieu, the original proprietor.
In 1836 it was laid out into village lots. The first settler, Abram Paddock, the first tavern and frame building
of Simeon S. Chapin, the first saw mill of Walter Peck, have already been noted. In 1828 Walter Peck opened the
first store in a building, since remodeled, now standing near the river bridge and occupied by Eugene Russ. The
same year Seth W. Burke became the first blacksmith, manufacturing edged tools, and in 1829-30, as agent for Alexander
Phoenix, he built the first grist mill. Charles S. Sweet was a clerk for Walter Peck. In 1832 he started mercantile
business near the lock and finally sold out to Oliver Breed and Orange Chappel. The hard times of 1836 found some
here unprepared for a financial depression, and among them was Seth W. Burke, who had embarked in extensive real
estate transactions, and at one time owned considerable land within the present corporate limits. He lost all,
studied law and was admitted to practice, went to California in 1851, and died there in 1871. In 1837 Charles S.
Sweet erected a store on the site of H. G. Vickery's establishment, and about this time Joshua M. Rice had a store
where that of F. A. Carter now stands. Mr. Rice also built the present residence of Harvey Wandell. In 1835 Hezekiah
Barnes acquired the ownership of the grist mill erected by Burke, the entire water power on this side of the river,
and about the same time a large part of the village site. Marshall and Wilburn Hale had a store on the canal on
Lock street, and also a boat building establishment. F. G. Hutchinson, their clerk and overseer, afterward engaged
in trade and milling, and became wealthy. His brother J. C. was for a time his partner. E. F. Gould had a heading
mill on the site of the old casket factory, and later became interested in mercantile business.
The following item, though intended as a contemporary description of the whole town, applies more directly to the
village of Phoenix, and is taken from "Historical Collections of the State of New York," published in
Schroeppel, taken from Volney, in 1832; from Oswego centrally distant southeast twenty one miles. Phoenix, about
eighteen miles from Oswego, is a thriving village recently built, having two churches and about fifty dwellings,
on the Oswego River and canal. Roosevelt is a post office. Population, 2,198.
The village was incorporated in 1848 and the first election was held in March of that year, but the records prior
to 1863 have been burned and it is impossible to give the names of the earlier officers. The charter was amended
May 6, 1868, and the corporate limits enlarged.
The act directed that the charter election should be held on the first Tuesday in March, 1869, at the house of
N. C. Alvord. The presidents since 1863 have been as follows:
William Waite, 1863; Adoniram Hart, 1864; Hiram Fox, 1865; Samuel Avery, 1866; Rufus Diefendorf, 1867-68; Niles
Streever, 1869; Henry H. Smith, 1870; Rufus Diefendorf, 1871; Niles Streever, 1872; Dr. John E. Hamill, 1873: E.
J. Vickery, 1874; Dr. John E. Hamill, 1875; Martin Wendell, 1876; Dr. J. E. Hamill, 1877; W. H. Allen, 1878-79:
N. J. Pendergast, 1880-82; S. A. Brooks, 1883; Prosper Tracy, 1884; George C. Withers, 1885; J. M. Williams, 1886;
Dr. J. E. Hamill, 1887; F. M. Breed, 1888; Dr. J. E. Hamill, 1889; F. K. Avery, 1890-91; F. M. Breed, 1892-93;
H. G. Vickery, 1894: A. B. Merriam, 1895. The treasurer is Erastus C. Scott.
In February, 1850, the tannery of Hart & Bentley was burned, but was speedily rebuilt. In October, 1859, the
Syracuse and Phoenix steamboat line, formerly owned by A. P. Hart & Co., passed into the possession of Snediker
& Smith. At this period boating was an important factor in the commercial and business life of the village,
and boat building had assumed extensive proportions. Boat yards sprang into existence along the canal and flourished
for many years. In 1872 there were five in operation, owned respectively by Harwick & Breed, Joseph Gilbert,
Merry & Breed, E. J. Vickery, and Betts & Pierce, which turned out during that year fifteen new boats and
rebuilt and repaired many others Among the merchants at this time were Governeur M. Sweet, from 1850 to 1865; John
C. Hutchinson, since 1866; and Ralph O. Barnes, in the old Hutchinson building. The first drug store was opened
by Drs. Davis Conger and C. M. Lee. Seth W. Alvord was a harnessmaker here from 1837 to 1877, and died July 30,
1894. In September, 1870, A. P. Hart's tannery was burned. In 1871 the Windsor Hotel was rebuilt by N. C. Alvord.
It was partially destroyed by fire December 21, 1894. Two earlier occupants of this house, the first of whom was
the original builder, were James B. Richardson and Adin Breed. Another tavern formerly occupied the site of the
present Baptist church, being torn down in 1878 to make room for that edifice.
The grist mill erected by Seth W. Burke, and purchased in 1835 by Hezekiah Barnes, and for many years known as
the "old red mill," was owned at various times by the following persons: Job C. Conger, November 14,
1837; William Conger, one half interest, in 1841; Rensselaer Northrup, one fourth interest, and Solomon Judd, same
portion, in 1843; Oliver Breed, one half interest, in 1853; Joseph Breed, one third interest, in 1856; William
Sprague, one third interest, in 1858; Joseph G. Glass bought Sprague's interest in 1860; Edwin P. Hopkins purchased
Joseph Breed's portion in 1863; and Charles J. Glass acquired the latter's interest in 1867. In the fall of that
year the mill was burned. It was rebuilt in 1868 by Glass, Breed & Co., the present proprietors, uses the full
roller process, and has a capacity of 200 barrels of flour daily. A grist mill was built by Pliny F. Conger in
1858, and immediately thereafter he formed a partnership with Edmund Merry. Later G. G. Breed became part owner,
and in 1866 the establishment was purchased by H. Wetherbee & Co., who rebuilt it after it was burned in 1867
and continued as proprietors until July, 1876, when they assigned. Amasa P. Hart & Co. then leased the property,
which subsequently passed to Payne Bigelow, of Baldwinsville. In May, 1881, Pierce & Breed purchased it, and
in November, 1883, N. J. Pendergast acquired Breed's interest and the firm became Pierce & Pendergast. In 1863
Ira Gould built the Oswego River cheese factory, and in 1868 sold it to Hart & Carrier, who were succeeded
in 1875 by Kimball & Martin. The present proprietor is A. B. Merriam. In 1868 A. W. Sweet established the Phoenix
Coffin and Casket Works, and in 1872 G. M. Sweet became his partner, but subsequently retired. The factory was
finally discontinued and in 1891 converted into a paper mill by Frank Dilts, of Fulton.
The planing and lumber business of J. H. Loomis & Sons was started by J. H. Loomis and Joseph Gilbert in 1865
as J. H. Loomis & Co. Mr. Loomis subsequently became sole owner, and about 1870 admitted his son Judson W.
as partner. In 188o another son, Charles F., was admitted under the firm name of J. H. Loomis & Sons. He died
January 5, 1894. From twelve to twenty men are employed. Indirectly connected with this business is that of the
Phoenix Sliding Blind Company, which was incorporated in March, 1894, with a capital of $10,000, and with these
officers: C. F. Loomis, president; F. F. Wright (deceased), secretary; J. W. Loomis, treasurer. They employ about
forty hands and manufacture sliding blinds, veneer doors, and interior trimmings.
The Phoenix Bank was incorporated under the State law March 1, 1869, by:
Samuel Avery, president; E. G. Hutchinson, vice president; Edmund Merry, cashier; Milton T. Butts, Joseph Gilbert,
H. T. Sweet, Moses Wood, G. G. Breed, Amasa P. Hart, S O. Howard, Ephraim C. Fitzgeralds, Calvin Youmans, H. H.
Smith, Davis Conger, J. Loomis, Elmanson Chesebro, R. A. Pritchard, Rufus and J. H. I. Diefendorf, Moses Melvin,
Adoniram Hart. J. S. Pierce, Enoch S. Brooks, E. J. Vickery, J. L. Breed, Samuel Merry, N. P. Eno, Levi Carrier,
Martin Chesebro, Ira Betts, Samuel Flynn, and S. M. Parsons.
The bank ultimately had a paid up capital of $100,000. January 13, 1874, Samuel Avery resigned as president and
G. G. Breed was elected. He served until his death in December, 1879, and on January 13, 188o, E. G. Hutchinson
was chosen president and M. T. Butts vice president. January 11, 1887, Amos Dean was elected president and on January
14, 189o, A. W. Hawks was chosen vice president. Mr. Dean died in December, 1893, and on January 23, 1894, A. D.
Merry became president. October 31, 1894, the bank was re-organized, and the following officers were elected, all
being re elected January 9, 1895:
C. W. Avery, president; C. E. Hutchinson, vice president; A. W. Hawks, cashier; E. G. Hutchinson, assistant cashier;
directors, C.W. Avery, J. C. Hutchinson, Mrs. Libbie Tracy, C. E. Hutchinson, A. W. Hawks, E. G. Hutchinson, and
J. E. Hamill. The capital stock is $35,000.
The first newspaper, the weekly Phoenix Gazette, was started in 1850 by Jerome Duke, who took in as partner and
finally sold out to George E. Williams. In 1853 the latter moved the paper to Fulton and changed its name to the
Oswego County Gazette. The Phoenix Democrat was started by an association of Democratic citizens in November, 1852.
After repeated assessments to sustain it the stockholders sold out to Capt. Amasa P. Hart, who, in 1854, disposed
of the paper to James H. Fields In 1855 the name was changed to the Phoenix Banner, and a few months later to the
American Banner and Oswego County Times. Before the end of the year its publication was discontinued. In 1856 it
was revived by Mary Frances Tucker Tyler as the American Banner and Literary Gem and eight months later passed
to Levi Murrill, who changed the name to the American Banner. It ceased publication in 1857. Early in 1858 the
material was used by Joshua M. Williams for the Phoenix Reporter, which soon became the property of Dr. M. M. Carter,
who enlarged it, changed its name in 1865 to the Phoenix Register, and sold it February 17, 1870, to J. M. Williams,
the present editor and proprietor. Mr. Williams is one of the oldest journalists in the county. He is an able writer,
a prominent and influential citizen, and has held several positions of trust, having been postmaster, village president,
etc. The Register is Republican in politics, and ably and conscientiously represents the best interests of the
village and surrounding country. The latest newspaper venture was the Phoenix Chronicle, which was started by John
Harrison, sr., John Harrison, jr., and C. C. Harrison in July, 1885. It was continued by them with more or less
regularity until March, 1892, when it ceased publication.
Prominent among the more recent manufacturing and other enterprises in the village the following may be mentioned:
The Phoenix Knife Company was originally organized in 1880 as the Central City Knife Company with these officers:
C. W. Avery, president; B. G. Clapp, vice president; J. I. Van Doren, secretary; A. W. Hawks, treasurer. Business
was carried on across the river until 1887, when J. I. Van Doren erected the present plant. In 1892 the organization
of the Phoenix Knife Company was effected with H. C. Breed, president; H. A. Dygert, vice president; J. I. Van
Doren, secretary; and Edmund Merry, treasurer. As many as 100 hands have been employed. The present officers are:
A. E. Russ, president; S. B. Babcock, vice president; J. C. Hutchinson, treasurer; A. D. Merry, secretary. The
Phoenix Electric Light Company was started as a private enterprise by J. I. Van Doren in May, 1887, the present
plant having been completed in 1886-7. The company was incorporated in 1888 with a capital of $20,000 and with
the following officers and trustees: Edward P. Bates, president; G. L. Van Doren, vice president; Van R. Sweet,
secretary; J. I. Van Doren, treasurer. August 22, 1887, as the result of a special election held August 19, the
village trustees granted a franchise to A. J. Belden, R. B. True, J. I. and G. L. Van Doren, L. J. Carrier, Ralph
G. Barnes, and Van R. Sweet to construct a system of water works. An organization was effected that year under
the name of the Phoenix Water Company with J. I. Van Doren, president; L. J. Carrier, vice president; and Van R.
Sweet, secretary and treasurer. The capital was $40,000. A large well was sunk and a stand pipe erected, and the
system was put in operation in 1888, water being pumped from the river above the dam. The Phoenix Hardware Manufacturing
Company, originally started in Syracuse, and was moved here in 1888, the name at that time being the Moore &
Barnes Company. In 1890 it was changed to the Barnes Manufacturing Company with a capital of $30,000, and in 1894
a receiver was appointed. In March, 1895, the present concern was incorporated with $20,000 capital. In 1892 the
foundry of John O'Brien and the table works of L. S. Wilson were established; in June, 1894, the Syracuse Storage
Battery Company was organized with a capital of $300,000; and recently the Phoenix Hot Water Heater Company has
been successfully started. The Chiquita paper mill, the saw mill of A. P. Hart, Kimball's cider mill, and the Smith
Murgittroyd machine shop were burned July 23, 1894.
The first record of a fire department occurs in January, 1852, when Enterprise Hose Company No. 1 was organized
with Thomas Freeborn, chief; T. J. Davis, fireman; O. H. Smith, first assistant; E. Conger, second assistant; and
Jerome Duke, secrectary. In 1867 the Eagle Hose was formed from Company No. 1, but subsequently the two were reunited.
On September 3, 1879, the Van Doren Hose was organized, and on May 16, 1881, it was voted to raise $1,500 for the
erection of a new engine house, which was not completed, however, until 1886. The present department, known as
the Enterprise Fire Company, consists of thirty members divided into two hose companies. The officers are W. H.
Warner, president; F. H. Hooker, secretary; H. C. Breed. treasurer; Charles K. Williams, chief engineer; A. M.
Burgess, first assistant; and D. R. Thompson, second assistant. The village possesses an adequate sewerage system,
most of which was constructed during the year 1886.
The Phoenix post office was established January 29, 1830, with Seth W. Burke as postmaster. His successors have
Joshua M. Rice. appointed July 3, 1841; Joseph R. Brown, December 19, 1844; Edward Baxter, December 14, 1848; Joshua
M. Rice, June 9, 1849; Wilburn Hale, May 16, 1853; Uziah Conger, May 21, 1855; Andrew Baird, December 14, 1855;
Francis David, June 2, 1856; Joseph Hanchett, March 12, 1861; Davis Conger, May 10, 1869; C. E. Hutchinson, November
28, 1871; H. A. Dygert, April 21, 1874; Fred W. Alvord, September 21, 1835; J. M. Williams, June 21, 1839; and
Frank K. Avery, February 21, 1895, incumbent. In 1860 the village had 1,164 inhabitants. In 1880 its population
was 1,312, and in 1890, 1,466.
Gilbert's Mills, so named in honor of the Gilbert family, is a post village situated on great lots 11 and 25 in
the sixteenth township of Scriba's Patent. The first settler was Archibald Cook in 1818. In 1819 Andrus and Hiram
Gilbert came and in that year erected a grist mill. In 1820 Andrus Gilbert opened the first store and in 1822 took
Samuel Merry into partnership. The first birth was that of E. S. Cook and the first marriage occurred in 1820,
the contracting parties being Alanson Bradley and Mary Hubbard. The first death was that of one Taylor in 1821.
Among other pioneers in the vicinity were Dea. G. W. Turner, Hyman Sutton, Josiah Chaffee, Samuel Allen, Mr. Carver,
Stephen Griffith, a Mr. Brownell, Patten Parker, and Ezekiel Gardner. The Gilberts also built a saw mill at this
place at an early day, which was a very large affair for the time. The grist mill, which stood on Peter Scott's
Creek, was burned in 1848; it was rebuilt and is still in operation. The post office was established April 12,
1847, with Andrus Gilbert as postmaster; his successors have been E. S. Cook, appointed June 22, 1849; Thomas I.
Putnam, October 8, 1853; Stephen Griffith, January 31, 1855; P. S. Fuller, December 28, 1858; Stephen Griffith,
May 30, 1862; and S. P. Mason, June 21, 1875, incumbent. Blynn Tyler also held the office for a time. Mr. Mason
has been a merchant here since 1872. In 1864 Capt. E. S. Cook inaugurated the business of boring for salt, which
created no little excitement in the place. A well was sunk to the depth of 340 feet, a strong brine was obtained,
and six kettles were built into an arch for manufacturing salt. In 1870-71 a salt well was developed from an ancient
deer lick. The business proved unprofitable and was soon abandoned. The place now contains about 200 inhabitants
and the usual complement of stores, shops, artisans, etc.
Pennellville, a postal village and station on the N.Y. O. & W. (Midland) Railroad in the north part of the
town, derives its name from Dr. Richard Pennell, of New York, whose wife was a daughter of George Casper Schroeppel,
previously mentioned. Among the early settlers in and around the place were Stephen Sutton and a Mr. Burritt in
1819, Luman Norton on lot 6 in 1820, Artemas Ross in 1822, David and Daniel Perry in 1824, John and Robert Parker
in 1835, and Z. P. Sears and Reuben Sutton. In 1833, Dr. Pennell, through his agent, Lauren Seymour, built a saw
mill on Fish Creek, which he sold in the spring of 1836 to Hugh Gregg, who came here from Onondaga county in 1833.
R. S. Gregg moved in from Scriba about the same time and opened the first tavern. The post office was established
prior to 1866; the first postmaster was Ambrose Gregg, who served in that position many years, and was followed
by Amos B. Sherwood and the present incumbent, Mortimer Stevens. The place contains about 225 inhabitants.
Hinmansville is a postal hamlet on the Oswego River about two and one half miles below Phoenix in the west part
of the town. The first settler was John F. Withey, who came from Vermont and built a log house near the bridge.
The first frame dwelling, which occupied a site between the canal and river, was erected by Benjamin F. Sweet in
1827, and the first house east of the canal was that of M0ses Withey in 1831. About 1827 John E. Hinman, of Utica,
conceived the idea of founding a village here and caused buildings to be erected with that purpose in view. His
wife was one of the Schroeppel heirs, and from him the place derived its name. She caused the erection of a church,
and contributed to the building and maintenance of a school house, but both have long since disappeared. Out of
the high bank at the head of Horseshoe rifts, a spring, called by the Indians Te-tung-sat-a-yagh, meaning "a
deep spring," formerly issued, but it has disappeared since the construction of the canal. Tradition asserts
that its existence was due to a subterranean water course, which began at a bend in the river, called "Fiddler's
Elbow," half a mile above. The village at one time was a popular stopping place for canal boats and other
craft, and owed its existence largely to this fact. Among boatmen it long bore the name of Horseshoe Rifts. In
1860 it contained twenty five houses. Its present population numbers about 150. The postmaster is William H. Keller,
who succeeded Laura W. Fralick.
Oak Orchard, or Oak Orchard Rifts, is a small hamlet on the Oneida River about seven miles above Three River Point.
and was the favorite fording place of the Indians. Near the river bank evidences of an extensive Indian burial
ground have been discovered. Here a root called by the redmen Ga-ren-to-quen, or ginseng, signifying "legs
and thighs separated," was extensively dug for medicinal purposes. The first settler was David Winters in
1807. In 1811 George Foster, better known as "Tory" Foster, settled on the same lot (35) and in 1815
George C. Schroeppel took up his residence on his estate. The first birth was that of Betsey Knapp in 1822, the
first legal marriage was that of Henry Schroeppel and Annie Knapp in 1820, and the first death was the accidental
killing, while raising a barn, of John Warner in 1821. A lock of the Oneida Slack water Company was located at
this place, and around it some business sprung up, notably that of the grocery of A. McCarthy, which was burned
October 22, 1873. At one time the hamlet contained about 100 inhabitants. Within recent times it has become a summer
Three River Point is a summer resort on the Phoenix branch of the R., W. & O. Railroad at the junction of the
Oneida and Seneca Rivers and the head of the Oswego River, and is situated partly in this town and partly in Clay,
Onondaga county, the station being in the latter.
Roosevelt is a small rural hamlet near Pennellville, and as long ago as 1846 was dignified with a post office.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Gilbert's Mills began in a class which was formed there in 1826, under the leadership
of Hyman Sutton, who served in that capacity for five years. In 1831 a successful union revival occurred. Among
the worshipers at that time were Hyman Sutton and wife, Asa Bailey and wife, Artemas Ross and wife, Elias Newton
and wife, Patten Parker and wife, Ira Sutton and wife, and Mrs. W. B. Coy. Services were held in private dwellings
and in the school house until 1837, when a church building was commenced, which was completed in 1839 and dedicated
early in 1840 by Rev. Isaac Stone, presiding elder. Of the earlier ministers the names of Rev. Mr. Densmore, Elisha
Wheeler, and Charles Northrup are recalled. A union Sunday school was formed about the time the church was organized
and continued as such until 1861, when the different denominations began the maintenance of their own schools.
The Free Baptist Church of Gilbert's Mills dates its legal organization from February 26, 1831, but prior to that
meetings and baptisms of this denomination had occurred in the neighborhood under the ministrations of Rev. Benjamin
McKoon, who was the first settled pastor. The constituent members were Jonathan Babcock, Josiah Chaffee, Percy
Ayre, Charles Smith, Albigence Chaffee, Clarissa Dayton, Johanna Chaffee, Polly Gardner and Mrs. Albigence Chaffee.
Stephen Griffith and Harlow Merrill were the first deacons and Dea. G. W. Turner was the first church clerk; the
latter served in that capacity for about fifty consecutive years. In July, 1837, the frame of the first edifice
was raised; the structure was completed and dedicated by Rev. Robert Hunt, pastor, in the spring of 1839. In 1875
it received extensive repairs and was rededicated in October of that year by Rev. R. L. Howard. Among the pastors
who succeeded Rev. Mr. McKoon were Revs. Ansel Griffith (brother of Dea. Stephen Griffith), John R. Page. Stephen
Krum, Joseph Wilson, William Russell, William C. Byer, David J. Whiting, H. A. Baker, William A. Stone, Amos E.
Wilson, S. W. Schoonover and others.
The First Congregational Society of Phoenix was organized and incorporated in April 1837, and on June 14 of
that year the church wag legally formed and constituted by Rev. John Eastman at the house of Hezekiah Barnes, with
twenty members, viz.:
Hezekiah and Caroline Barnes, Catherine and Elizabeth Barnes, Delia Budd, Anna Burke, Mrs. Fulda Candee, Julia
Candee (Mrs. Charles Sweet), Simeon Chapin, Mrs. Charity Davis, Ira and Deborah Davis, Mary Anna Hill, Dead. Samuel
and Martha Merry, John and Bertha Squire, Theodosia Wall, and Isaac and Teressa Wing.
A frame edifice was built and dedicated the same year on the site of the present parsonage. Rev. Mr. Dada, of Volney,
occasionally preached to the society until November 3, 1841, when Rev. Mr. Lathrop became stated supply. January
26, 1842, a connection was effected with the Presbytery of Oswego under the "plan of union," but the
church remained Congregational in government. Rev. G. N. Todd became acting pastor February 3, 1843, and served
until June 7, 1846. About 1845 a Sunday school was organized, and from November 26, 1846, to August 19, 1848, Rev.
Mr. Dada, "of Granby," officiated at communion seasons. February 23, 1849, Rev. H. S. Redfield was installed
the first pastor, serving as such until January 27, 1853. His successors have been
Revs. Stephen Vorhes, May 15, 1853, to May 2, 1857; J. V. Hilton, August 14, 1860, to May 9, 1865; Ovid Minor,
A. S. Bosworth, E. Perkins, and J. H. Munsell, supplies, 1866 to 1875; J. H. Munsell, March 16, 1875, to February
21, 1876; H. P. Blake, July 16, 1876. to July, 1878; James Deane, acting, November 18, 1878, to February 18, 1881;
T. H. Griffith. March 21, 1881, to March 28, 1883; H. L. Hoyt, July 31, 1883, to August 1, 1885; G. F. Montgomery,
September 1, 1885, to 1887; Mr. Butler, 1887 to 1890; and H. L. Hoyt, incumbent, since spring of 1890.
January 3, 1863, they dissolved connection with the Presbytery of Oswego and on September 18 united with the Oswego
Congregational Association. In 1876 the present brick edifice was erected at an expense of $13,000, and on January
31, 1877, it was dedicated by Rev. Mr. Robinson. The old structure was removed and is now a cabinet storehouse
in the rear of Baker & Ott's furniture store, and on the site a frame parsonage was built in 1885 at a cost
of $3,500. The society has about 195 members and a Sunday school with an average attendance of 150 scholars under
the superintendency of Dea. C. E. Candee. The deacons are C. W. and C. E. Candee, Van R. Sweet, C. E. Hutchinson,
and Edward Hastings; trustees, C. E. Candee, C. E. Hutchinson, J. I. Van Doren, Newton Hughes, F. W. Alvord, and
F. A. Carter.
The Methodist Episcopal church of Phoenix was organized at the school house in that village by Rev. L. Adkins in
1838 with the following members: I. N. Butts and wife, Liberty Worden and wife, Harvey Loomis and wife, Thomas
Flower, J. R. Names and wife, and Mrs. Davis. At the same time the first Methodist sermon was preached in the place,
and that year an edifice was commenced, but it was not completed and dedicated until 1856, the pastor then being
Rev. W. L. Lisdell. It cost about $4,000 and was begun under the pastorate of Rev. P. H. Willis. The first trustees
were William Gilbert, Thomas Flower, I. N. Butts, M. Chesebro, Dr. Cobb, and G. Morehouse. In 1885 the present
brick church was erected around the frame of the old structure at a cost of about $10,000. It was built under the
pastorate of Rev. Loren Eastwood, and was dedicated the fall of that year by Rev. B. I. Ives, of Auburn, assisted
by the pastor in charge, Rev. Silas Ball. During the ministrations of Rev. J. B. Longstreet the society purchased
the present frame parsonage. The pastor is Rev. Wesley Mason. The society has 200 members and maintains a flourishing
Sunday school of which Robert Simpson, jr., is superintendent.
The Freewill Baptist church of Phoenix was organized September 2, 1846, with these members: Walter Peck, Thomas
Clough, Albert Clough and wife, Almira Clough, Harvey Hollister and wife, Stephen Bachelder and wife, G. W. Oakes
and wife, Sally Ann Rice, Charles Higby and wife, Joel Morseman and wife, and John G. Hull and wife. The first
officers were Walter Peck, deacon; Harvey Hollister, treasurer; and John G. Hull, clerk. In 1851, under the pastorate
of Rev. W. W. Sterricker, and with Walter Peck, the pastor, David S. Tabor, John P. Rice, and Josiah Chaffee as
building committee, a frame edifice was erected at a cost of about $2,000. It is now used as a soap manufactory.
In 1878 the present brick structure was built on the site of an old hotel, which was purchased of Sylvester Rugg
for $1,850. It cost about $5,000 and was dedicated early in 1879, at which time Rev. J. H. Durkee was pastor. The
various pastors have been:
Revs. J. B. Page, O. W. Smith, W. W. Sterricker, S. Bathrick, B. H. Damon, C. Putnam, D. Jackson, C. Cook, S. Aldrich,
E. Crowell, William McKee, J. H. Durkee, J. P. Linderman, Hanscom, Ward, A. D. Bryant, and E. E. Morrell, incumbent.
The deacons are S. M. Parsons, William Blakeman, and Elmer Patchin; trustees, S. M. Parsons, William Blakeman,
M. J. Chaffee, Eugene Emmons, and George Hazleton.
The First Universalist Society of Schroeppel, at Pennellville, was organized in 1870, and in July, 1871, a Sunday
school was started under the superintendency of Rev. S. Rice. An edifice was commenced soon after the formation
of the church and completed and dedicated by the pastor, Rev. Mr. Rice. in June, 1871, at a cost of $3,500.
Emanuel church (Protestant Episcopal), of Phoenix, was organized April 11, 1871, by the election of Bonville Fuller
and E. C. Fitzgerald as wardens and Ira Betts, Francis David, William H. Rice, and B. F. Denton as vestrymen. Services
were held in the Y. M. C. A. rooms by Rev. Almon Gregory, the first missionary in charge, but after a brief existence
the parish ceased its work and disbanded.
A church of the Adventists at one time had a small membership in town, but never acquired much strength.
[Return to history
of Schroeppel, New York Part 1]