THE TOWN OF SCRIBA
Scriba was formed from Volney on the 5th of April, 1811, and contains an area
of 25,031 acres. From it was taken in 1848 all that part of the city of Oswego east of the Oswego River. It comprises
all of the original survey township No. 18, or Oswego, lying north of the base line of Scriba's patent, and a part
of No. 17, or Fredericksburgh, situated south of that line. The name Scriba was conferred by the Legislature in
honor of George Scriba, the patentee, in spite of the fact that a portion of the inhabitants, being dissatisfied
with the designation, circulated and forwarded a petition asking that it be called Boston. It lies in the northwestern
part of the county, immediately east of the Oswego River, and is bounded on the north by Lake Ontario, on the east
by New Haven and Volney, on the south by Volney, and on the west by the town and city of Oswego and Lake Ontario.
The surface is rolling, being broken into ridges which extend north and south, and which attain an elevation of
from 100 to 180 feet above the lake. Abundant springs and numerous streams with their small tributaries afford
excellent drainage, sufficient water for all farming purposes, and several good mill privileges, the latter being
a valuable feature of Black Creek. Other water courses are Nine Mile, Stone, and Wine Creeks, which flow northwardly
into the lake. The soil, a sandy and gravelly loam, supplied in places with considerable stone, and only moderately
fertile, is generally well adapted to all branches of agriculture, particularly to the raising of fruit. Apples
were long the staple product of the town. Strawberries and other small fruits are now grown in considerable quantities,
while grain, potatoes, and vegetables are given more or less attention. Within more recent years dairying, including
both butter and cheese making, has developed into an important industry and is carried on quite extensively. There
are now four cheese factories in Scriba, all doing a profitable business.
The town at the end of the last century was covered with a forest of maple, beech, hemlock, and cedar. The saw
mills rapidly converted the forests into lumber and the plow and spade have superseded the woodman's axe. With
two exceptions these mills have all disappeared, leaving agriculture the leading industry of the town. There is
a steam basket factory and saw mill combined in operation, and these together with the cheese factories and several
fruit drying houses and cider mills constitute the present manufacturing interests.
Numerous efforts have been made in this town from time to time to drain and reclaim to cultivation various pieces
of swampy land, and with an appreciable degree of success. March 3o, 1861, the Legislature appointed Jacob Stroup,
Henry Cook, and Ira Bundy commissioners to supervise the drainage of "Deer Ridge" or "Wine Creek"
swamp, the expense to be defrayed by assessing the landowners benefited. Their work consisted of opening "a
ditch at least three feet wide running from the Oswego River and from the northeast corner of E. B. Talcott's farm
to Kingdom road and from at or near the southwest corner of Shubael W. Stoel's land northerly to an old ditch,
and thence far enough to obtain drainage." This and other similar enterprises have proved very successful.
The first highway in the town was laid out as early as 1812. It was known as the old State road and later became
the plank road. Many if not all of the surveys were made prior to 1830, yet several thoroughfares have been extended
since that period. All have kept pace with contemporary improvement, and at present are well graded and maintained.
The Rome and Oswego plank road, which for several years was the scene of constant activity, passed through Scriba,
and was completed in the spring of 1848 The Oswego and Syracuse plank road was finished in 1850.
The completion of the Oswego Canal along the western border of the town in 1828 aided the settlement and development
of the town, as it opened additional markets for local products. In 1848 improved shipping facilities were afforded
at Oswego by the opening of the Syracuse and Oswego Railroad, and in 1865 the R., W. & O. Railroad between
Oswego and Richland was completed, with a station at North Scriba (Lycoming postoffice). The New York and Oswego
Midland Railroad, traversing the west part of Scriba, was finished in 1869. To aid in the construction of the Midland
road the town was bonded May I, 1869. for $20,000, which indebtedness has recently been canceled. B. C. Turner
and I. A. Downs are the railroad commissioners.
The town, as previously stated, was originally patented to George Scriba. Soon afterward a large tract, since known
as Hamilton Gore, became the property of John B. Church, Gen. Alexander Hamilton, and John Lawrence, as detailed
in a previous chapter. Every encouragement within the power of the proprietors was given to promote immigration
and the rapid development of this section. Land was sold for $2 per acre, on indefinite time, and lots for church
buildings and sites for mills were donated for the purposes named. The early settlers were mainly from Herkimer
county in this State with a sprinkling of the plain Puritan element of New England.
Nearly a year passed before a town organization was effected. The first town meeting was held at the house of Hie]
Stone March 3, 1812, when the following officers were elected: Capt. Henry Potter, supervisor; John King, town
clerk; Hiel Stone, Samuel Tiffany, and Joshua Miner, assessors; Samuel B. Morrow, collector; Hiel Stone and Walter
Read, poormastors; Hiel Stone, Walter Read, and Joshua Miner, highway commissioners; William Coe and Samuel B.
Morrow, constables; Orrin Stone, postmaster. Resolutions were adopted specifying "that a lawful fence shall
be four and one half feet high, and well wrought from bottom to top;" that any landholder permitting Canada
thistles to stand "after three days' notice is given by any person" shall be liable to a fine of $5 and
costs, and that every wolf caught and killed "by any inhabitant of the town" shall be subject to a bounty
The following have served the town as supervisors:
Henry Potter, 1812-14; Samuel Tiffany, 1815-16; Theophilus S. Morgan, 1817-23; Peter D. Hugunin, 1824; T. S. Morgan,
1825-27; Joseph Turner, 1828-29; T. S. Morgan, 1830; Charles King, 1831; Peter S. Smith, 1832-33; Henry Fitzhugh.
1834; John C. Hugunin, 1835; Edwin C. Hart, 1836-37; John B. Edwards, 1838; Lucius Van Schanck, 1839; James Lyon,
1840; Daniel Hall, 1841; Samuel B. Morrow, 1842; Simeon Bates, 1843; George Wales, 1844; Jacob Richardson, 1845;
Orville J. Harmon, 1846; Edwin C. Hart, 1847; Daniel Hall, 1848-49; Thomas Askew, 1850-52; Daniel Jones, 1853-54;
William H. Wales, 1855; Robert Simpson, 1856-67; Joel A. Baker, 1868; Robert Simpson, 1869-70; Joel A. Baker, 1871;
John B. Sewell, 1872-73; Hiram L. Hart, 1874; John B. Sewell, 1875; H. L. Hart, 1876-78; William D. Colby, 1879;
James Sears. 1880; John E. Coe, 1881-83; Amos Allport, 1884-88; William H. Enos, 1889-90; H. L. Hart, 1891-92;
Marshall B. Turner, 1893-95.
The town officers for 1894-95 were:
Marshall B. Turner, supervisor; George W. Rumrill, town clerk; Thomas W. Smith, Charles E. Cornwell, and Charles
Coe, justices of the peace; A. King Hill, Enoch Miner, and J. F. Brown, assessors; C. Adelbert Stone, commissioner
of highways; Tilton E. Coe, overseer of the poor; Harvey D. Jones, collector. There are sixty-six road districts
and three election districts.
The first permanent white settler in Scriba outside of the military post at Oswego was Henry Everts, who located
with his family in the southwest part of the town, near the river, in 1798. "Here he felled the first tree
cut by a white man, and while it was falling, although he was entirely alone, with no white person within several
miles, he took off his hat, swung it around his head, and made the forest ring with his cheers. It is said of him
that, having no seed with which to start a meadow, he went farther down the stream, cut up sods from some grassy
spots there, and transplanted them to his own land. A few years later he removed to the town of Oswego. His son
Henry, jr., was the first white child born in Scriba.
The first settlers who lived and died upon their locations were Asahel Bush and Samuel Tiffany, both of whom came
in 18o1 and took up farms near that of Mr. Everts. Both had families, and moved hither from the east with two ox
sleds. Mr. Bush was a preacher and the first to advocate biblical teaching in the town.
It is impossible at this late day to ascertain the names of more than comparatively few settlers during the first
decade of this century. Those already mentioned seem to have been the sole inhabitants prior to 1804, in the spring
of which year the families of William Burt and Hiel Stone, each consisting of the parents, six sons and four daughters,
arrived from Ovid, Seneca county, coming in Durham boats by way of Cayuga Lake and the Seneca and Oswego Rivers.
Both located at what is now Scriba Corners, near the center of the town - Mr. Burt occupying the two western lots,
and Major Stone the two eastern lots. Major Stone obtained his title as an officer in the war of 1812, in which
his sons Orrin and Erastus also participated. He brought with him a yoke of oxen, three cows and some sheep, and
until the spring of 1805 the two families remained at the fort at Oswego. Meanwhile log houses were built at the
Corners, the cabin of Mr. Burt being situated near the site now occupied by the widow of William Burt 2d, while
that of Major Stone stood near the lot purchased some years ago by the grange society. Mr. Stone set out the orchard
now owned by B. C. Turner; it was the only one for miles around and attained considerable celebrity. In 1806 he
built an addition to his house and opened it as a tavern, which was the first in the town. A few years later it
was superseded by a brick hotel, which stood on the lot owned by the First Baptist church society. The brick were
made by Mr. Stone himself, and for many years he was the only landlord in this vicinity. His inn was long since
destroyed by fire. Erastus Stone was born in Greenville, Greene county, in 1791, and came to Scriba with his father
in 1804. He was a surveyer and assisted in laying out roads in this town and in Volney. In 1818 he married Alma,
daughter of Solomon Everts, one of the pioneers of Mexico. Later he built a saw mill, and for several years carried
on an extensive lumber business. He was a large fruit grower, a respected farmer, owned a large tract of land on
lots 23, 24 and 44, and died May 22, 1870 His sons, Henry E. (born in 1829) and Dwight, are living in the south
part of the town near the family homestead. Hiel Stone, a brother of Francis S. and a grandson of Major Stone,
is a respected resident of Scriba Corners; he was born in 1816.
William Burt was the first justice of the peace in Scriba. He was the father of John, Harvey, Daniel and Calvin
Burt, and the grandfather of Mrs. James Church and Mrs. Sally Parkhurst (daughters of John). Harvey Burt was born
here in 1808.
Samuel jacks purchased a farm on lot 89 in 1805. It soon afterward passed to Solomon Mattison (the grandfather
of Col. L. V. S. Mattison), some of whose descendants still retain the ownership.
In 1806 several new settlers arrived. Daniel Hall located on lot 78, but in 1807 sold to Joseph Turner, who occupied
the place until his death. Since then it has been in the possession of his son Russell. Joseph Worden settled on
lot 81, and upon his death the property passed to his son Perry H., who was born in 1813, and who was succeeded
by his son, J. H. Worden, the present occupant. The adjoining farms across the road were purchased about the same
time by Oliver Sweet and John Coon, while Ludwick Madison in the same year bought a farm on lot 104, which he sold
in 1807 to Whitman Church. Mr. Madison then removed to Volney. George Cyrenius settled on the place on lot 90 that
was long in the possession of his descendants; it is now owned by B. C. Turner. Paul Sheldon and his son, Paul,
jr., who was then sixteen years of age, came on foot in three days from Herkimer county in the spring of 1806 and
located on too acres of land on the State road, within the present limits of Oswego city. This, Mr. Sheldon had
purchased for $3.75 per acre in 1805, and after their arrival they cleared 240 square rods of ground and planted
it with corn and potatoes. After harvest they returned to Herkimer county, and during the winter of 1806-07 the
family, including eleven children, came hither with one cow, a hog, and a yoke of oxen. Mr. Sheldon lived and died
there; Paul Sheldon, jr., subsequently located on lot 41, where his death occurred, he being the last survivor
of this large family. The first marriage in town was that of John Masters and Elsie Baldwin in 1306, the ceremony
being performed, it is believed, by the bride's father, Rev. Samuel Baldwin.
In 1807 Hiram Warner, a wheelwright, settled on the Randall farm, and the same year his son died here, being not
only the first death in town but the first interment in the old Burt burying ground, the first cemetery opened
in Scriba. Ephraim Parkhurst located on lot 70 also in 1807, while his brother Daniel settled on lot 66. The former
was the father of Nelson, Rufus and Charles, and the latter of Isaac and Sylvester. The same year Dr. Deodatus
Clark, the first physician in Scriba, came in from Onondaga county and settled in what is now Oswego city. Whitman
Church, previously mentioned, who purchased the farm of Ludwick Madison in 1807, was originally from Otsego county,
whither he returned sometime during the war of 1812. James Church, his son, was born there in 1796, came here with
his father and located permanently near Scriba Center in 1809. He was a boatman on the Oswego River, a potash manufacturer,
merchant, tavern keeper and a farmer, and a son in law of Major Hiel Stone, whose daughter he married in 1823.
He was postmaster and justice of the peace many years, a Democrat and later a Republican in politics, a Methodist
in religion, and a man highly esteemed. He served in the State militia and at the battle of Oswego in the war of
1812, held several minor positions of trust, and had three children, two of whom were James Church, jr., and Mrs.
Edgar Sharp. Willet G. Hall, a native of Herkimer county, came to this town in 1807 and followed farming. The second
marriage in Scriba occurred this year, being that of Walter Reed and Susan Morrow, by William Burt, justice. "At
the conclusion of the ceremony the wife returned home and the husband, having urgent business in Utica, continued
Among others who doubtless became settlers prior to 1810 or 1812 were Joseph Myers, who located on lot 94, but
soon afterward returned to the East; and Merritt and Justin Hall, brothers, on lot 103, who came from Connecticut
with one horse and a yoke of oxen, selling pewter buttons on the way to defray traveling expenses. Their farm passed
successively to Simon Phillips, Edmund Robinson, Isaac Parkhurst and the latter's heirs. George Potter came as
early as 1810 and lived in a log cabin on lot 88. He was accidentally shot at a general training soon afterward.
John Hall, who was born in Connecticut, became a resident of the town in 1810. Jason Hall was born here in 1844.
Alanson Himes, born in Rhode Island in 1798, came to Scriba with his parents in 1814, and settled four miles east
of Oswego. He planted elm and maple trees around the west park in that city under a contract in 1833. He died in
1892; his widow resides with a son in Oswego. Daniel Hall 2d, son of John, was born in Petersburg, N. Y., May 22,
1789, and died here January 4, 1874. He came with his father to Scriba in 1815 and located on the farm subsequently
occupied by Galen Hall. He was a carpenter by trade, was elected assessor in 1823, and supervisor in 1841, 1848
and 1849, and was actively identified with the Baptist church and with the Whig and later the Republican party.
Edmund M. Sweet was born near North Scriba in September, 1818, and died at the old homestead September 18, 1894.
He was the father of Frank Sweet and the brother of Mrs. Ruth Coon.
Among the settlers of the decade of 1810-1820 may be named Daniel Du Bois, a cooper and farmer; and I. R. Parkhurst,
a farmer and side judge of Oswego county. Russell Turner was born here in 1811, Benjamin C. in 1814, and Joel S.
in 1817; all are still living, respected residents of the town. M. B. Turner, the present supervisor, is a son
of Benjamin C. The population in 1820 numbered 741. Charles Paddock came to Scriba in 1825 and moved thence to
Mexico. He was born in Connecticut in 1797 and died January 26, 1889.
Philo Burnham was one of the sturdy pioneers. He was born in Greene county, N. Y., September 16, 1793, volunteered
in the war of 1812, married twice and had six children, came to Scriba in 1827, and died February 7, 1878. He was
sixty years a member of the Presbyterian and Congregational churches and a generous supporter of the American Bible
and Home Missionary Societies. His son, Charles H., born in 1840, served in the 110th Regiment in the Civil War
and resides in Scriba.
In 1820 the town contained 741 inhabitants. Between that year and 1830 the following became settlers or were born
in the town: George M. Bacon, born in Oswego in 1821, a carpenter and farmer; Peter D. Barker, a general merchant;
Henry Bundy, born here in 1821; C. E. Downes, born in the county; Samuel M. Du Bois, born here in 1821; William
Eaton, a farmer; M. A. Fish, born in Oswego in 1820, for many years a teacher; Alexander Guile, a farmer; Collins
G. Jones, born in Oswego in 1824; Alanson Moe, a farmer and cooper; William T. Otis, a farmer; William W. Potter,
a farmer; J. J. Peck, a native of Massachusetts; and William A. Wright, a farmer; and many others.
Robert Simpson, son of Robert and Mary (Spencer) Simpson, was born in Dutchess county July 31, 18o5, came to Scriba
in 1831, and is still living in the town, about two and one half miles from Oswego. His early life was spent in
a woolen factory and in teaching school. He learned and followed surveying, and has held several public offices.
He was supervisor fifteen years, justice of the peace thirty eight years, justice of sessions three years, and
occupied other positions of trust. He was first a Whig and later a Republican, and has been three times married.
Mr. Simpson is emphatically one of the prominent men of Scriba. His long residence in this part of Oswego county,
his faithfulness manifested in the discharge of every public and private trust, and his many pleasing personal
characteristics have endeared him to a wide circle of friends and fellow citizens.
Another settler of 1831 was Thomas Askew, a brewer, who was born in England in 1802. He purchased the then newly
erected brewery on the Burt farm, but soon afterward engaged in farming. He was supervisor several years and in
1852 was the Democratic candidate for member of assembly. He died January 12, 1895. Robert G. Askew settled in
Scriba in 1833.
Rev. George Blossom, born in Lenox, Mass., in 1800, came to Onondaga county with his parents in 1806. His earlier
life was spent in farming and merchandising. In 1839 he settled in Palermo, whence he subsequently removed to Scriba,
where he died. In 1840 he entered the ministry of the Congregational church, preaching his first sermon in Cummings's
mill in New Haven. He became a lieutenant colonel in the old State militia, which he joined in 1825, and held several
public offices, notably those of supervisor, justice of the peace, assessor, inspector of common schools, etc.
Prominent among his seven children were Mrs. John Place, Witham E. Blossom, Mrs. Galen Hall, and George D. Blossom.
Among the more prominent settlers of this decade - 1830-1840 - were:
Hiram Briggs, A. H. Burch, William L. Cornwell, C. D. Churchill, John W. Dean, Henry H. Jones, Erastus G. and Stephen
Jones, R. Knight, Sylvester Lockwood, E. J. Lawton, L. B. and Jeremiah Legg, Asahel Newcomb, Z. Peterson, Thomas
Robinson, Schuyler Rhodes (at one time assistant U. S. assessor of internal revenue), James Sears, S. W. and E.
P. Spencer, I. P. Young, and Jerome, William, and J. P. Waugh, natives of Oswego.
Hiram L. Hart settled in Scriba about 1840, with his parents, when he was ten years old. He has been supervisor
six years. Among the arrivals between 1840 and 1850 were:
Harvey D. Du Bois, Edward Foster, John Fletcher, J. Monroe Hubbard, Francis and J. V. Hirt (natives of Germany),
John Mullen, Rev. W. F. Purrington (an M. E. clergyman), B. Rice, John A. Sheldon, O. Stowell, Dr. A. C. Taylor,
A. E. Wilson (a Free Baptist minister), and others.
Prominent among other settlers of the town may be mentioned the names of Henry Potter on lot 9o, Eliphalet Parkhurst
on lot rob, Samuel Frazier on lot Jos, Daniel and Holden Corp on lot 17, Chapman Morgan on lot 43, William Woolson
on lot 94, Aaron Parkhurst near Scriba Corners, Harvey and Abel Butler on lot 31, James Farley on lot 44, Daniel
Burt (son of William, the pioneer) on lot 96, Reuben Seeley on lot 95, John Davis (a native of Bordeaux, France,
a pensioner of the war of 1812, and a captain on the lakes fifty one years), William Gleason (a Vermonter by birth),
J. N. Peck (a farmer, lumber dealer, and magistrate),W. M. Sweetland (a retired sea captain), Charles Sweet (also
a retired sea captain), Jason Stroup, W. M. Whitlock, H. A. Woodworth, Alfred Sabins, Joshua Miner, John Shapley,
Joseph F. Sweet, Amasa Newton, Philo Fowler, J. Meacham, Amos Aliport (sheriff, five years supervisor, and now
living in town), William Congdon (long a justice of the peace), Amos Kingsbury, Jacob Whitmarsh, Charles Lamb,
and others more fully noticed hereafter.
The growth of the town is best told by the following statistics representing the population at the periods named:
In 1830, 2,037; 1835. 4,180; 1840, 4,051; 1845, 5,495;(1) 1850, 2,738; 1855, 2,958; 1860, 3,282; 1865, 3,215; 1870,
3,065; 1875, 3,117; 1880, 2,971; 1890, 2,480.
1) These and the foregoing figures include the inhabitants in what is now Oswego city east of the river.
The first cemetery opened in town, as previously stated, was the old Burt burying ground, in 1809, the first burial
in it being that of a son of Hiram Warner. Among the other early interments here were those of Phoebe Pickett,
Mrs. Joseph Sweet, George Potter, Fannie Sheldon, and members of the Whitney and Lathrop families. As early as
1820 this plat was superseded for mortuary purposes by the Warden Cemetery.
The first school house was built near Scriba Corners in 1807, the first teacher being a Mr. Edgecomb, who lived
in the building with his wife and two children. It was a story and a half log structure and answered the purpose
until the spring of 1809, when a new and larger house was erected on the four corners north of Scriba Corners.
For several years this was the only school building in town. Among the earlier teachers were James Taggart, Levi
Reed, Francis and John Dean, Hezekiah Lathrop, William Rasmussen, and a Mr. Loomis. Among the surviving pupils
are Benjamin C. Turner, William Stone, Rufus Parkhurst, Russell and Joel S. Turner, and Polly Burt. In 1860 the
town had sixteen school districts in which 1,293 children were taught There are now eighteen school districts with
a school house in each, schools in which were attended during the years 1892-93 by 487 children and taught by eighteen
Value of school buildings and sites, $9,850; assessed valuation of the districts, $850,087; public money received
from the State, $2,161.33; raised by local tax, $2,065.68. The school districts are locally designated as follows:
No. 1, Card; 2, Stone school house; 3, Lansing; 4, Mattison; 5, Stone; 6, South Scriba; 7, Jones; 8, Rhodes; 9,
Kingdom; 10, Scriba Center; 11, Greenman; 12, Copeland; 13, Halleck; 14, North Scriba; 15, Carr; 16, Whitford;
17, Mullen; 18, Lycoming.
During the war of the Rebellion the town of Scriba contributed more than 250 of her citizens to the Union army
and navy. No part of the county responded more promptly, and no body of volunteers served with greater fidelity.
Among those who received deserved and honorable promotion were:
George W. Burt, H. W. Miner, William Horton, Charles and Amos Taylor, James A. Darrow, Simon Cyrl, John Duel, F.
Coon, George Hall, Benjamin P. Coe, A. Sparks, George M. Stowell, Edward Babcock, M. A. Flowers, James D. Hamilton,
William Churchill, John H. Simpson, L. O. S. Madison. James W. Parkhurst, Byron B. Parkhurst, Frank Waugh, Henry
Hubbard, Joel A. Baker, John H. Downs, Thomas W. Smith, and L. Merick.
Supervisors' statistics of 1894: Assessed valuation of real estate, $806,410; equalized, $958,275; personal property,
$39,900; railroads, 7.96 miles, $91,160; town tax, $6,245.47; county tax, $5,589.78; ratio of tax on $100, $1.64;
dog tax, $122. The town has three election districts in which 584 votes were cast in November, 1894.
Scriba, locally known as Scriba Corners or Scriba Center, is situated on the old plank road about four miles east
of Oswego, near the center of the town. Much of its earlier history has already been given. The place began with
Major Hiel Stone's log tavern. The first store was opened in 1819 by Orrin Stone and Aaron Parkhurst, and for twenty
five years or more this was the only mercantile establishment in town outside of Oswego village. It was a small
frame building, the first in the vicinity, and stood near the Stone tavern. Later Mr. Parkhurst erected a brick
building on the site of the present evaporator, and was succeeded by James Adams. It was subsequently converted
into a grange store and finally taken down. In 1841 Hiel and Francis S. Stone, grandsons of Major Stone, started
a store in a building on what is now the James Church estate. They continued business there until about 1846, when
the present store of Hiel Stone & Co. was established. William Woolson was an early shoemaker and Amos Grafton
a pioneer blacksmith here. The place also has two evaporators, owned by B. C. Turner, and conducted respectively
by A. B. Simpson and J. H. Worden. Mr. Turner also has a steam cider mill. The postoffice was established January
27, 1813, with Major Hiel Stone as postmaster. This was the first postoffice in town and has always been known
as Scriba. It was on the old Oswego and Utica mail route, and the first and for many years the only mail carrier
was Joseph Worden. The earlier postmasters were:
Orrin Stone, appointed March 19, 1819; T. S. Morgan, August 25, 1819; James Church, March 18, 1825; Aaron Parkhurst,
October 10, 1828; James Church, April 6, 1832; Benjamin C. Turner, July 20, 1849; Hiel Stone 2d, April 6, 1853;
Francis S. Stone, March 12. 1861; William K Blossom, September 20, 1866; B. C. Turner, March 2, 1871. Since then
C. A. Stone and Eel Stone 2d, present incumbent, have held the office. The place bas about 200 inhabitants.
North Scriba is a rural hamlet, or four corners, about three fourths of a mile south of the R., W. & O. Railroad
and Lycoming post office. A little west is a Free Baptist church. The merchant and postmaster is I. P. Young, who
was born in Oswego and settled here in 1834.
Lycoming postoffice (Scriba Station), is a little hamlet on the R., W. & O. Railroad about six miles east of
Oswego. It owes its existence wholly to the railroad and is the only station in town. The first postmaster was
John E. Coe, who was succeeded in 1885 by Edwin J. Lawton. Mr. Coe was reappointed April 20, 1889, and served until
October 23, of that year, when he was accidentally killed. November 12, 1889, his widow, Frances J. Coe, was appointed
and still holds the office. Mr. Coe was born in Oswego in 1837 and was a merchant at North Scriba from 1865 to
1872. In the latter year he started a store in Lycoming and continued business until his death, when he was succeeded
by his widow. W. B. Legg is the other general merchant here and carries on a large trade.
South Scriba, located in the southeast part of the town, has a postoffice, store, etc. The postmaster is D. A.
Hammond. The place formerly contained a saw mill, and a number of years ago Julian Benoit established a general
Lansing is a postal hamlet situated about two and one half miles southwest of Scriba Corners. The postmaster is
H. E. Middleton, who succeeded Elisha L. Manwaring.
Churches. - Religious services in Scriba began during the first decade of the present century with occasional meetings
at private houses. Asahel Bush, as already stated, was the pioneer preacher in the town and conducted services
for many years. Rev. Samuel Baldwin was also an early minister of the gospel. The first religious organization
was effected January 7, 1828, when the "Free Communion Baptist church of North Scriba" was formed, the
constituent members, seven in number, being Daniel Knapp, Samuel Frazier, John Sweet, Stephen Krumb, William Coon,
and Daniel and Lucy Gorsline. This society was dissolved December 13, 1831, and the present First Free Baptist
church of North Scriba was legally organized. In 1848 their first house of worship, a plain wooden structure 32
by 44 feet, was erected on the site of the present building, a short distance west of North Scriba postoffice.
The last named edifice was built in 1875 and was dedicated on December i of that year by Rev. G. H. Ball, D. D.
It is a handsome structure of gothic architecture capable of seating 25o persons. Near it is a frame parsonage.
The entire property is valued at about $5,000. The society has nearly too members and the Sunday school consists
of about forty scholars. The oldest surviving member of this church is Dea. Simeon Coe. Among the pastors have
Revs. William Nutting. J. Wilson. A. Griffeth. M. Stanley. L. Hanson, J. Noye, J. J. Allen. C. Prescott. J. Wilson
again. A. E. Wilson. William C. Beyer. J. F. Smith, and Edward L. Graves since April, 1893.
The Methodist Episcopal church of Scriba Corners owes its formation to William Kilburn. Rev. Burris Holmes commenced
a series of revivals in 1841 which resulted in the organization by him of the present society, of which he became
the first pastor. It consisted originally of seven members: William and Margaret Kilburn, Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Sewell,
Mr. and Mrs. Knight, and Mrs. James Adams. The early meetings were held in the school house. The church society
was legally organized January 31, 1853, with Stephen Fitch, P. H. Worden, Marcus C. Fish, Francis S. Stone, and
Z. W. Hopson as trustees, and during that year their present edifice was erected. It is a wood structure with basement
and gallery, and in connection the society owns a frame parsonage, the entire property being valued at about $3,000.
May 31, 1854, this society became a separate charge; prior to that it belonged to a circuit. The church was built
under the pastorate of Rev. M. M. Rice. His successors have been:
Revs. Isaac Turner, L. L. Adkins, M. D. L. B. Wells, William Jones, C. Phillips, Addison Wheeler. J. H. Buck, H.
M. Danforth, S. B. Crozier. O. H. Holton, H. W. Howland. J. G. George, W. F. Purrington, Daniel Marvin, Charles
E. Beebee, J. E. Ensign, I. J. Nourse, C. H. Walton, T. O. Beebe, and G. M. Ward since February. 1891.
The Methodist Episcopal church of Lansing forms a part of the Scriba charge, and was organized as a class many
years ago. No society was formed and no pastor was installed until 1873, when Samuel Du Bois, Oliver Hall, Daniel
Bronson, Galen Hall, David Whitaker, Zachariah Allport, Hugh Downs, Mrs. Ann King, and others effected a legal
organization. The church edifice was built during that year and dedicated December to by Bishop Jesse Peck, under
the pastorate of Rev. E. A. Tuttle. The property is valued at about $2,000. The two societies, under one pastor,
have a combined membership of 125. The present Sunday school of Scriba was organized in 1871 with Dr. A. C. Taylor
as superintendent. It now has an average attendance of seventy pupils, a library of about 100 volumes, and is under
the charge Mrs. Dwight Stone. The Sunday school at Lansing has fifty scholars with Nathaniel Beadle as superintendent.
The Methodist Protestant Church of North Scriba (Lycoming) was organized by Rev. Mr. Fowler in '843. It was a part
of the Richland circuit and meetings were held in the school house on the town line. After a prosperous existence
it was allowed to run down and finally became almost extinct. September 9, 1875, the society, which had been legally
formed a short time previously, was made a separate charge under the pastoral charge of Rev. C. M. Boughton. The
church edifice, a neat frame structure, was built in 1874 and dedicated January 2o, 1875, by Rev. J. J. Smith.
The present pastor is Rev. J. R. Hatch, who was installed in October, 1894, succeeding Rev. E. Galloway. Frank
Sweet is superintendent of the Sunday school.
The First Baptist Church of Scriba Corners, constituted in 1883, held its earlier services in the village hall.
It was organized by Rev. Mr. Grafty, at the time a pastor in Oswego, who became the first pastor of this socicty.
His successors were Revs. Wetherbee, Fries, and W. P. Omans who remained seven years. During the pastorate of the
latter the present church and parsonage buildings were erected. The edifice, a brick structure, cost $3,600 and
was dedicated December 6, 1887. Rev. Mr. Omans left in March, 1894, and in October following the present pastor,
Rev. Herbert A. Dunbar, assumed charge. The society has about seventy five members, and a Sunday school of sixty
scholars with A. Whittemore as superintendent. Their entire property is valued at $5,000, The deacons are Harvey
Burt, Daniel Powers and Fred Waugh; trustees, George Stone, Delbert Stone and Daniel Powers; clerk, Charles Yule;
treasurer, A. Whittemore.