HISTORY of PAVILION, NY
FROM OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
A DESCRIPTIVE AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF
GENESEE COUNTY, NEW YORK
EDITED BY SAFFORF E. NORTH
THE BOSTON HISTORY COMPANY, PUBLISHERS 1899



TOWN OF PAVILION.

Pavilion is the most southeastern town of Genesee county. It is bounded on the north by Stafford and Le Roy, on the east by Caledonia and York, Livingston county; on the south by Covington, Wyoming county, and on the west by Middlebury, Wyoming county, Bethany and Stafford. The surface is undulating in the north and hilly in the south. The principal stream is the Oatka creek, which flows northward through the town, a short distance west of the centre. East of this stream, and nearly parallel therewith, runs the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburg Railway. The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad crosses the northern part of the county from west to east until it crosses the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburg Railroad tracks, where it turns and runs southeast until it leaves the town. Joseph Ellicott surveyed the first road across the town, running it in a straight line from Batavia village to Leicester, through the village of Pavilion. This is the famous Big Tree road. About the same time the State surveyed a road from Canawaugus (Avon) to Buffalo. This road passes through the centre of the town, and intersects the Big Tree road near the west line of the town.

The first settlement in Pavilion appears to have been in 1805 by Isaac D. Lyon. The Lawrence family came in 1807, Richard Walkley, Peter Crosman, the Tyrrells and McWethys in 1809. The first tavern was opened in 1815 at Pavilion by Seth Smith. In 1817 Horace Bates opened the first store at the same point. Dial Lathrop built the first mill, in 1816, on the Oatka. The first church, Baptist, was organized in 1816 by Elden Leonard Anson.

Pavilion was formed from Covington, Wyoming county, May 19, 1841. A portion from Le Roy and Stafford was annexed March 22, 1842. The town was named in 1825 by Harmon J. Betts, who came from Saratoga, where he had been connected with the Pavilion hotel. The records in the town clerk's office are incomplete, and nothing can be learned as to the first town meeting. Following is a list of the supervisors since the organization of the town:

1841-1842, Isaac Matthews; 1843-1845, Thomas Burns; 1846, Denby Lewis; 1847- 1848, Thomas Burns; 1849, Daniel Sprague; 1850-1855, John C. Holcomb; 1856, Thomas Burns; 1857-1858, Henry H. Olmsted; 1859-1860, Oswald Bond; 1861-1863. John Lauderdale: 1864-1865, Nathan Bryant; 1866, J. Lyman Crocker; 1867-1868, Nathan Bryant; 1869-1872. Oswald Bond; 1873, J. Lyman Crocker; 1874, James H. Webster; 1875-1877, Elijah M. Tillotson; 1878-1881, Wm. Walker; 1882-1886, Benjamin W. Hartwell; 1887-1895, William Walker; 1896-1897, Jasper Starr; 1898, Ethan T. Bradley.

The town clerks have been:
1841-1845, John Lauderdale; 1846, John C. Holcomb; 1847-1852, Gilman Barnett; 1853-1854, Horace S. Hannum; 1855, C. W. Fay; 1856-1860, J. W. Chaddock; 1861- 1862, John C. Holcomb; 1863-1865. H. S. Halbert; 1866-1867, Elbert Townsend; 1868-1872 Ethan P. Bradley: 1873-1879. W. H. Gilmore: 1880-1886, Charles E. Bond; 1887-1888 Sheridan 0. Hubbard; 1889, Louis H. Wells; 1890-1893, Willis L. Culver; 1894, Edwin R. Christman; 1895-1897, William Quinlan; 1898, Willis L. Culver.

The records show the names of the following justices. There is no record of the election up to 1880, and the names from 1841 to 1880 are as they appear in the minutes of the town board. The names given from 1880 to 1889 are of the justices of the peace elected on the years given:

1841, Isaac Matthews, Denby Lewis, Marvin Judd, Henry Bond; 1842, Isaac Matthews, Denby Lewis, Samuel Lewis, John Lauderdale; 1843,Thomas Burns, D. Lewis, W. M. Sprague, Marvin Judd; 1844, Thomas Burns, Denby Lewis, John C. Holcomb, Marvin Judd; 1845, Thomas Burns, W. M. Sprague, J. C. Holcomb, Denby Lewis; 1846, W. M. Sprague, J. W. Duguid; 1847, Thomas Burns, W. M. Sprague, John C. Holcomb; 1848, john C. Holcomb, W. M. Sprague, J. W. Duguid; 1849, John C. Holcomb, W. M. Sprague; 1850, W. M. Sprague, J. W. Duguid; 1851, J. W. Duguid, W. M. Sprague, Denby Lewis; 1852, Denby Lewis, J. W. Duguid, George Tomlinson; 1853-1854, Denby Lewis, George Tomlinson, Oswald Bond; 1855-1858, Oswald Bond, George Tomlinson, Nathan Bryant; 1859, George Tomlinson, Nathan Bryant; 1860, Nathan Bryant, Leonard Crofoot; 1861, Nathan Bryant, Leonard Crofoot, Denby Lewis; 1862-1863, Nathan Bryant, Oswald Bond, Denby Lewis, Leonard Crofoot; 1864, Denby Lewis, Oswald Bond; 1865, Denby Lewis, Oswald Bond, Leonard Crofoot; 1866, Oswald Bond, Nathan Bryant, Denby Lewis, John L. Cook; 1867-1868, Oswald Bond, George Tomlinson; 1869, Elbert Townsend. William L. Bradley; 1870, Elbert Townsend, William L. Bradley. James Center; 1871-1872, James Center, William L. Bradley, W. H. Tompkins; 1873, James Center, W. H. Tompkins; 1874, W. J. Cook, W. H. Tompkins, William L. Bradley, E. T. Bradley; 1875-1876, W. J. Cook, William H. Ewell, William L. Bradley, E. T. Bradley; 1877, William L. Bradley, William H. Ewell, J. M. Robertson; 187S, William H. Ewell, J. M. Robertson, Chauncey E. Tillotson; 1879, William L. Bradley, C. E. Tillotson, J. M. Robertson; 1880, John M. Robertson; 1881, C. B. Tillotson; 1882 Loren W. Evarts; 1883, William L. Bradley, 1. t., L. W. Evarts, s. t.; 1884, Oliver W. Phelps; 1885, C. E. Tillotson; 1886, L. W. Evarts; 1887, W. L. Bradley; 1888, Myron P. Pierson, I. t,, L.W. Evarts, s. t; 1889, C. E. Tillotson; 1890, L. T. Evarts; 1891, W. L. Bradley; 1892, M. P. Pierson; 1893, Louis H. Wells; 1894, C. E. Tillotson; 1895, Oliver D. Farnsworth; 1896, M. P. Pierson; 1897, L. H. Wells; 1898, Horace B. Townsend.

Pavilion is the chief village. It is located near the centre of the southern half of the, town, on the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburg Railroad. It contains about four hundred inhabitants, four churches- Baptist, Methodist Episcopal, Catholic and Universalist-but no services have been held by the latter society in several years. There are also a good public school, a hotel, and nine stores, a Grand Army Post and a lodge of Odd Fellows. The manufacturing industries consist of the salt works of Senator Humphrey, of Warsaw; a large flouring mill, a fruit evaporator, a wagon shop and a blacksmith shop. A bean picking and packing establishment owned by Archibald D. Sanders of Stafford, and operated by S. D. White, was burned in the spring of 1898.

A salt mine was sunk in the northern part of the town in 1891 by the Lehigh Salt Company, but it was subsequently sold to the salt trust and the works closed.

Union Corners is a hamlet in the eastern part of the town. It contains a church and a school.

Bailey's Mills is the location of a grist mill established about 1817 by Erastus Bailey and Bial Lathrop. The dam there was built in 1828.

Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates


All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy