HISTORY of PEMBROKE, NY
FROM OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
A DESCRIPTIVE AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF
GENESEE COUNTY
NEW YORK
EDITED BY SAFFORF E. NORTH
THE BOSTON HISTORY COMPANY, PUBLISHERS 1899


TOWN OF PEMBROKE.

Pembroke is the central of the three large towns comprising the western tier. It is bounded on the north by Alabama, on the east by Batavia, on the south by Darien and on the west by Newstead, Erie county. Its surface is gently undulating. Tonawanda creek flows in a northwesterly direction through the northeast corner, and Murder creek flows in the same direction through the southwest corner. The soil is a sandy and gravelly loam. A portion of the northern part of the town is occupied by the Tonawanda Indian Reservation. The main line of the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad and the Lehigh Valley Railroad pass through the southeast corner of the town, and the Tonawanda branch of the former road passes through the central part, from east to west.

David Goss, who took up land in 1804, was the first permanent settler in Pembroke. He converted his dwelling into a tavern, which was the first public house in the township. Samuel Carr located at Richville in 1808, and also opened a tavern. Mr. Carr erected the first grist mill and saw mill. Dr. David Long and his son, John Long, settled on the site of Corfu in 1808, and gave that locality the name of Long's Corners. The first school was conducted by Anna Horton in 1811. The first church-Presbyterian--was founded in 1817 by the Rev. Hugh Wallis. The "Franklin Library" was formed in 1819 at the house of Eben North, by twenty residents of Pembroke and Alexander.

Pembroke was erected from Batavia June 9, 1812. The records in the town clerk's office up to 1854 are missing. The names of the supervisors since 1831 are on file in the county clerk's office. They are as follows:

1831, Hugh Long; 1832-1835, Cyrus Brown; 1836-1838, Eli Ellinwood; 1839. An. drew S. Harroun; 1840, Eli Ellinwood; 1841-1842, Cyrus Brown; 1843, Andrew S. Harroun; 1814, Aaron Long; 1845, Cyrus Brown; 1846-1848. David Anderson; 1849, George W. Wright; 1850-1852, David Anderson; 1853, James M. Neasmith; 1854, John A. Willett; 1855, David Anderson; 1856, John W. Brown; 1857-1859, John D. Safford; 1860-1861, Cyrus Phelps; 1862-1864, John W. Brown; 1865, James Boyd; 1866, John W. Brown; 1867-1868, Royal W. Kinne; 1869-1870, Edward A. Brown; 1871, John Munro; 1872, Edward A. Brown; 1873, John Munro; 1874, Edward A. Brown; 1875, John Munro; 1876-1877, Joseph W. Safford; 1878-1880, Lucius B. Parmele; 1881-1885, Charles A. Kinne; 1886, Dwight Dimock; 1887, John Lincoln; 1888-1891, Albert L. Hamilton; 1892, James S. Russell; 1893-1898, Albert L. Hamilton.

The town clerks since 1854 have been as follows:
1854-1856, W. Reed; 1857, Guy C. Clark; 1858, Reuben Willett; 1859, Amasa A. Mosher; 1860, Reuben Willett; 1861, Julius C. Powers; 1862, Joseph W. Safford; 1863- 1864, Peter C. Garrett; 1865, Elouzo N. Stone; 1866-1867, William S. M. Northrop; 1868-1869, Joseph W. Safford; 1870-1871, Thomas R. Hardwick; 1872-1873, W. S. M. Northrop; 1874-1875, Frank H. Edwards; 1876-1877, Ira A. Lake; 1878-1879, John Gibson; 1880. George O. Taggart; 1881, Reuben Willett; 1882, Dana Jenison; 1883, A. J. Smith; 1884-1888, William W. McGregor; 1889-1890, Wilder E. Sumner; 1891- 1892, Charles Graves; 1893, John Main; 1894-1895, W. E. Sumner; 1896-1897, Charles W. Arnold; 1898, Thomas J. Doyle.

During that period the justices of the peace have been:
1854, D. A. Wells, J. D. Safford; 1855, Roderick F. Tompson; 1856, John Munro, jr., William S. Coe; 1857, John A. Taylor; 1858, Harrison H. Boughton, William Russell; 1859, William S. Coe, Harry Stone; 1860, Parley Upton. Alanson Owen; 1861, Webster McMurphy, Ephraim P. Dean; 1862, Alanson Owen; 1863, William S. Coe; 1864, B. P. Dean; 1865, George Comber, George W. Wright; 1866, Alanson Owen. Elonzo N. Stone, Nathaniel Reed; 1867, Nathaniel Reed; 1868, George W. Wright; 1869, John Clark, John Munro; 1870. Alanson Owen; 1871, Andrew Abrams; 1872, John Munro, William McGregor: 1873, Elias Martin; 1874, Charles A. Kinne; 1875, William W. McGregor; 1876, D. H. Gorman; 1877, Martin Brown; 1878, Charles A. Kinne, John Munro; 1879, Joseph W. Safford; 1880, John Munro, Andrew F. Clark; 1881, Martin Brown 1872, Andrew F. Clark, William Adair; 1883, J. W. Safford; 1884, Daniel W. Smith, Louis Case; 1885, Daniel W. Smith, John Cleveland; 1886, John Long; 1887, J. W. Safford, Andrew F. Clark; 1888, John Cleveland; 1889, Daniel W. Smith; 1890, Andrew F. Clark; 1891, J. W. Safford; 1892, John Cleveland; 1893, D. W. Smith; 1894, A. F. Clark; 1895, J. W. Safford; 1896, John Cleveland; 1897, D. W. Smith; 1898, E. A. Root.

Corfu is the principal village in Pembroke. It is located close to the south line of the town, on the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad. It contains five churches-Presbyterian, Methodist Episcopal, Protestant Episcopal, Universalist and Catholic; a union free school, three hotels, a weekly newspaper, a fiouring and cider mill, a broom factory, a wagon shop and blacksmith shop, and twenty-six greenhouses, the latter forming the principal industry of the town. Three natural gas wells in or near the village supply gas for lighting and heating purposes. Corfu was incorporated May 1, 1868, at which time these officers were elected:

Trustees, H. P. Porter, D. Carter, R. W. Kinny, E. W. Croff, George
D. Newell; clerk, Dr. A. Billington; collector, J. P. Vaughn. The following have served as village presidents:
1868. H. P. Porter; 1869, George D Newell; 1870-1872, Jeremiah A. Garvin; 1873, Daniel Chadeayne; 1874, John Davison; 1875. Tyler D. Burnham; 1876, Daniel Carter; 1877, N. Topkins; 1878, Jerome Sumner; 1879, B. N. Hopkins; 1880, H. P. Porter; 1881, John Lincoln; 1882, Cyrus Wait; 1883, Amos 0. Curtis; 1884. John Tyrrell ; 1885, Dwight Dimock; 1886, J. A. Garvin; 1887-1888, W. E. Sumner; 1889, Dwight Dimock; 1890, William Crawford; 1891, Cyrus Wait; 1892, David Clark; 1893, Daniel Schelt; 1894, W. E. Sumner; 1895, John Lincoln; 1896, H. D. Van De Bogart; 1897, Thomas A. Webb; 1898, Daniel Schelt.

The following have served as village clerks:
1868-1869, Dr. A. Billington; 1870, Joseph W. Safford; 1871-1873, Frederick T. Wilcox; 1874-1876, D. Jenison; 1877-1878. J. P. Vaughn; 1879, D. Jenison; 1880, A. J. Smith; 1881-1897, Joseph W. Safford; 1898, Dwight Dimock.

Richville is a small village in the western part of the town, and was so named after C. B. Rich, a prominent business man. The Tonawanda branch of the N. Y. C. & H. R. Railroad passes through the village, and Murder creek affords ample water power at this point. The place contains a church, a school, roller mills, blacksmith shop, etc.

Indian Falls is located at the falls of the Tonawanda creek, in the extreme northern part of the town. It has three churches-Methodist Episcopal, Freewill Baptist and Evangelical; a school, a roller mill, a grist and flour mill, a hotel, blacksmith shop and several stores.

East Pembroke, located in the eastern part of the town on the Tonawanda branch of the N. Y. C. & H. R. Railroad, and on Tonawanda creek, has three churches-Baptist, Presbyterian and Catholic; a public school, a hotel, a grist mill, a sawmill, a barrel factory and a cheese factory.

North Pembroke, on Tonawanda creek in the northeastern part of the town, contains one church-Christian; a school, and a saw, grist and flour mill.

Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates


All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy