History of Pitcher, New York
GAZETTEER ans BUSINESS DIRECTORY
OF CHENANGO COUNTY, N. Y. FOR 1869-70.
COMPILED and PUBLISHED BY HAMILTON CHILD, SYRACUSE, NY 1869


PITCHER, named from Nathaniel Pitcher, Lieutenant Governor of the State, was formed from German and Lincklaen, Feb. 13, 1827. A part of Lincklaen was annexed in 1833. It lies on the west border of the County, north of the center. The surface consists chiefly of two high ridges, from 500 to 800 feet above the valleys. Otselic Creek flows south-west through near the center, and Brakel Creek flows south-west through the south part. The valleys of the streams are little more than narrow ravines bordered by steep hillsides. The soil is a shaly and gravelly loam.

Pitcher, (p. v.) situated on Otselic Creek, in the west part of the town, contains two churches, two stores, a hotel, a district school, several mechanic shops of various kinds and about fifty dwellings. About one-fourth of a mile distant is the woolen factory of Crandall & Bowen.

The Union Congregational Church was organized in 1804, under the labors of Rev. Seth Williston. The church edifice was erected in 1830; it is a substantial wood structure, occupying a command. ing position near the east end of the village. The number of members at present is 110.

The Baptist Church was organized in 1805, by a council, assisted by Elder P. Roots, and consisted of nineteen members. From that time until 1831, the Church enjoyed a degree of prosperity, but under the labors of Rev. Samuel R. Clark there was a powerful revival and the membership increased to about 300. The first settled pastor was Rev. John Lawton. A small church edifice was erected in 1806, and in 1829 the present building was erected. It is a substantial wood structure and occupies a commanding position on the north side of the street, nearly opposite the Congregational church. The present membership is 110, and the present pastor, Rev. S. P. Way.

North Pitcher, (p. v.) situated in the north-east part of the town, on Otselic Creek, contains two churches, viz., Methodist and Congregational; a store, two school houses, a fork factory, a grist mill, two saw mills, a hame factory, a blacksmith shop and about forty-five dwellings.

The Methodist Church at this place was organized in 1843, with about sixty members. Rev. James Atwell was the first pastor. The church edifice is of wood and was erected in 18434. The present membership is about fifty and the present pastor is Rev. H. Burton Smith.

The Congregational Church was organized in 1827 with fifteen members, receiving an accession of ten or fifteen more during the year. Rev. Samuel Manning and J. N. Sprague aided in its organization. The present edifice was erected in 1837.

Pitcher Springs, (p. o.) situated about three miles east of Pitcher, contains a school house, a harness shop and about a dozen dwellings. In the north-east corner of the town is a saw mill and a grist mill owned by Levi E. Benedict.

Hydeville is situated about a mile north-west of Pitcher, and contains a cabinet shop, a saw and planing mill, and about half a dozen houses. The North Pitcher Cheese Factory, owned by John Brown, is located about a mile south of North Pitcher.

On lot 113, near the center of the town, is located the saw mill of George Justice. On lot 105, about one and a half miles northeast of Pitcher, is the carriage factory and blacksmith shop of James H. Harington.

Chandlers Corners, about three-fourths of a mile north-east of Pitcher, contains a grist mill, a saw mill, a blacksmith shop and eight dwellings.

There is a saw mill in the south-west part, on lot 136; Samuel B. Kenyon, préprietor.

Brakel M. E. Church is situated on lot 15; it was erected in 1834; Rev. C. Clark is the present pastor.

The settlement of this town commenced about 1794 or 1795, by John Wilson and ____ Schuyler. Among the other early settlers were Ebenezer Wakely, Benjamin Fairchild, Jonathan Chandler, George Taylor, Silas Beebe, Jonas Hinman, Abijah Rhines, Simon Peet, ____ Millard and. Elijah Trenton..

The first birth was that of a son of Silas Beebe, in November, 1796; and the first marriage that of John Wilson and Polly. Hinman, May 16, 1799. Ebenezer Wakely taught the first sohool; Benjamin Fairchild kept the first inn; Reuben Root the first store and John Lincklaen built the first mills.

The population of Pitcher in 1865 was 1,186, and its area 17;814 acres.

The number of school districts is eleven; the number of children of school age, 389; the number attending school, 306; the average attendance, 148, and the amount expended for school purposes during the year ending September 30th, 1868, was $2,403.15.

Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates


All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy