TOWN OF PITTSTOWN.
Pittstown is the central of the three towns of the northern tier in the county.
It is bounded on the north by portions of Schaghticoke and Hoosick, one corner being exactly on the boundry line
between Rensselaer and Washington counties; on the east by Hoosick, on the south by Grafton and Brunswick and on
the west by Lansingburgh and Schaghticoke. The land in the northern part of the town, within two miles of the Hoosick
river, was originally embraced in the Hoosick patent. The southern part of its territory, that lying between the
patent of Hoosick and the manor of Rensselaerwyck, became the property of several individuals; being sold to them
in comparatively small tracts. The surface of the town generally is moderately hilly and in the south and east
are some rugged elevations a thousand feet or more above the level of the sea. Numerous small streams flow westwardly
and northwardly into the Hoosick river, the Tomhannock being the principal of these streams.
Neither history nor tradition relates who the first settler or settlers of the town were, nor when the homes of
the first white inhabitants were erected. The only thing left to guide posterity in this matter is the early history
of communities near at hand, on either side of the town, from which it may be inferred that the immediate territory
was settled about the same time. In 1709 the first settlements were made at Old Schaghticoke, to the westward;
and between 1735 and 1740 Dutch farmers began locating in Hoosick and Petersburgh. It therefore is reasonable to
expect that the first settlements in Pittstown were made not much later than 1740, if not before that date.
The first inhabitants of whom any clear record exists were those located in various parts of the town just prior
to the beginning of the War of the Revolution. Michael Vandercook, from whom the local name of Cooksborough was
derived, located there as early as 1763. He is the first white settler of whom any positive record is left. William
Shepard came from New England in 1770 and purchased a farm of 500 acres near by. Two years later Ludovicüs
Viele settled at Valley Falls and Christian Fischer at Cooksborough, though they found others there before them.
Among others who located in the town during or soon after the Revolutionary War were Benjamin Aiken, who came from
Dutchess county in 1778 or 1779; and Edmund Aiken, who located in the same vicinity a year or two, later. This
locality afterward became known as the Aiken neighborhood. William Pendergast settled near Johnsonville before
1780 and Caspar Rouse came about the same time. Stephen Hunt, Israel Thompson, Abner Van Name, Alexander Thompson,
Benjamin Milks, Evans Humphrey, William McCleaver, Stephen Clapp, Isaac Carpenter, Cornelius Wiltsey (or Wiltse),
Joseph Gifford, Gilbert Eddy and Hazael Shepard located in town between 1780 and 1785. Among those who came, probably
a little later but all during the eighteenth century, were the following:
John Francisco, near Raymertown; James Newcornb, near Pittstown Corners; Simon Newcomb, an early and long-time
physician, settled at Tornhannock village nearly opposite the grist mill; Isaac Stoughton, half a mile above Tomhannock
village, a place known as Stoughtontown in early times; David Norton, near the Quaker meeting house; William Jackson,
in the same neighborhood; Daniel Newcomb, a mile east of Tomhannock village; Peter D. Goes, near East Pittstown
church; John Davenport, at North Pittstown, formerly known as Millertown; Samuel Douglass; Thomas Prendergast,
at Millertown; Gilbert Williams, at Rayrnertown; Lovett Head, near Pittstown Corners; Abijah Ketch urn, near Cooksborough;
Jonas Haisted, beyond Pittstown Corners; Simon Vandercook, at Cooksborough; Abraham Van Arnam, near the Quaker
meeting house; Robert Bostwick; Nathaniel Wallis, two or three miles east of Tomhannock; Eliphalet Hyde, at Pittstown
Corners; Noah Miller, at North Pittstown; John Lee, on the turnpike near the "shilling-gate;" Joseph
Wadsworth, on the farm owned by his descendants; Charles Chase, near Raymertown, not far from Gilbert Eddys; Lodewick
Stanton, near the south line of the town.
One of the earliest taverns in Pittstown was located on the Albany Northern turnpike in the brick house afterward
the property of Peter Doty. The Finney hotel was another well known public house. It was at the latter hotel that
the draft of 1812 was made. Another tavern was at the Daniel Carpenter place, and later ones were the Union house
and Reed's hotel at Pittstown. The old Follett house was at North Pittstown. The Aiken tavern was also an old landmark
on the Aiken property. The hotel kept by Mordecai Lothridge was probably the first at Valley Falls. At Boyntonville
the earliest was the Wadsworth tavern.
The two leading physicians of the town for many years, and the earliest, as far as is known, were Dr. Simon Newcomb,
who located at Tomhannock about 1790; and Dr. Theodore E. May. At Raymertown Dr. Van Name settled very early.
At the time of the division of the ancient county of Albany and the erection therefrom of the counties of Tryon
and Charlotte, March 24, 1772, the territory now constituting Rensselaer county, then still a part of Albany county,
was divided by the Provincial Legislature into four districts-Rensselaerwyck, Hoosick, Pittstown and Schaghticoke.
The district of Pittstown was erected as a township by patent July 23, 1761, and thus remained until after the
War of the Revolution. The first civil organization of which there is any record was effected in 1772, being that
of the "Schaghticoke district." March 7, 1788, the towns of Schaghticoke and Pittstown were created out
of the "Schaghticoke district," and the two towns began their separate existence at the town meetings
held in April, 1789 The Pittstown town meetings probably were held in a house near the Quaker meeting house, then
the tavern of James Stitt, for a dozen years. The officers elected at the first town meeting were as follows: Supervisor,
Israel Thompson; town clerk, Evans Humphrey; assessors, John Francisco, Harmon Vanvarter, Hazael Shepard, Benjamin
Milks, John Rowan; collectors, Gilbert Eddy, Hazael Shepard, poormasters, Simon Vandercook, George Gage, Stephen
Hunt; constables, Gilbert Eddy, Hazael Shepard, Aaron Van Namee, John Rowan, jr., and Stephen Hunt.
A change in the western boundary of Pittstown was effected by act of the Legislature passed February 14, 1793,
as follows: Whereas the division line between the towns of Schactekol4e and Pitts Town, in the county of Rensselaer,
has been found inconvenient to the inhabitants of both towns. For remedy whereof, Be it enacted . . That from and
after the first Monday in April next, the division line of the said towns, shall be continued from Veile's or Toll's
bridge on the Hoosick river, in a direct course to the westernmost corner of Michael Vander Cooks grist mill, in
Cooksburgh, and from thence in the same direction to the manor of Rensselaerwyck.
By the general law dividing all the counties of the State into towns, passed April 7, 1801, the bounds of the town
of Pittstown were described as follows: Southerly by Troy and Petersburgh, westerly by Schactikoke, northerly by
Schactikoke, and the north bounds of the county of Rensselaer, and easterly by a line beginning at the distance
of ten miles east from Hudson's river on the north line of Schactikoke continued east, and running from thence
to a place in the north bounds of Petersburgh, at the distance of thirteen miles from Hudson's river.
The military history of Pittstown does not differ greatly from that of the other towns in the county. But few names
of those inhabitants of the town who served in the War of the Revolution have been preserved. Among these were
General Gilbert Eddy, Lieutenant John Van Woert, William Ray and Isaac Van Woert. The names of others doubtless
will be found in the rolls of Revolutionary soldiers from Schaghticoke, Lansingburgh and perhaps Hoosick. In the
War of 1812 General Gilbert Eddy's expedition to Plattsburgh was accompanied by a considerable number of Pittstown
soldiers. Among them were Nathaniel Bosworth, Winslow Eddy, William Chapman, William Pennie, Samuel Hyde, Benjamin
Reed, Abel Harwood, Evans Ray, James Van Name and James Stitt.
The people of Pittstown took an early active interest in the War of the Rebellion, and when the 2nd Regiment, New
York Vols., was organized the town was represented therein by twenty-six brave men. At every succeeding call men
left their homes and their business to go to the front. Beside the twenty-six who went out with the 2nd Regiment
of Infantry, Pittstown was represented by twenty-five men in the Black Horse Cavalry, which was never mounted and
consequently never saw service; four in the 104th New York Regiment, five in the New York Harris Cavalry, sixty-six
in the 125th New York Regiment, twenty-five in the 169th New York Regiment, and eleven in the Griswold Cavalry.
During the war meetings were held in the town at various times and the patriotic sentiments of the inhabitants
were kept constantly excited: Thousands of dollars were raised, a tax of $35, 000 being voted at one meeting alone-a
special town meeting held September 7, 1864. The names of the Pittstown soldiers who died in the service of the
United States during the Rebellion follow: William Slocum, John Lyons, Theodore May, Adam Lohnes, James Donahue,
John McMurray, Rufus Kipp, Charles H. Brownell, Onesimus Philardo, Lewis Smith, Jordan G. Hall, Alonzo Jones, Albert
Wager, John Wager, Marshal Hiscox, Theodore P. Pyser, Levi B. Brundage.
There is little out of the usual line to be related regarding the schools of Pittstown. The first school is supposed
to have been established about 1785 by William Hammonds at North Pittstown. Four or five years later a second school
was established at Sherman's Mills by Rebecca Thompson: At the town meeting in the spring of 1796 Israel Thompson,
Hazael Shepard, Jonathan Rouse, Simeon Button and Samuel Douglass were elected commissioners. In pursuance of the
law of 1813 Jesse Finne, Michael S. Vandercook and Stephen L. Viele were elected school commissioners. Under the
system of supervision by school superintendents, inaugurated in 1844, the first to hold office was Peter P. Abbott.
Johnsonville and Valley Falls both maintain excellent graded schools.
From an industrial and commercial standpoint Johnsonville is the leading village of Pittstown. It is located on
the Hoosick river, the Fitchburg railroad and the Greenwich & Johnsonville railway. The principal industry
supporting the place is the big axe factory now controlled by the American Edge Tool company. Johnsonville was
named in honor of William Johnson, who settled there early in the nineteenth century and established a brick grist
mill and saw mill. Entirely through his energy and enterprise the village grew rapidly. The place originally had
been known as "the Lick;" but he disliked the name and arbitrarily changed it to Johnsonville. It was
not until after his death, however, that that name was generally adopted. In 1852 the Troy & Boston (Fitchburg)
Railroad company painted the name of Johnsonville across its station there, and from that time all opposition to
the change was at an end.
The bridge across the Hoosick river at Johnsonville was established as a toll bridge about 1825, and the first
gate-keeper was a man named Miller.
The axe factory pwned by the American Edge Tool company is a large institution, employing many hands when in
operation. It was established about half a century ago, and for many years it was the property of Lane, Gale &
Co. It turns out hundreds of thousands of axes annually, which are sent to all parts of the world. The factory
was badly damaged by fire September 13, 1896. ,There are also several other less important manufacturing concerns,
and the village is liberally supplied with stores.
Within recent years the village of Valley Falls has grown to be one of the principal ones in the town.1 It lies
partly in Pittstown and partly in Schaghticoke. Less than a score of years ago the industries of the village were
enumerated as follows
The old Eagle mower factory, now E. F. Herrington's generai machine works; the grist mill by H. J. Herrington;
the linen mill of James Thompson, a large establishment making linen cords, mosquito-netting and many similar varieties
of work; the station and other buildings on the Troy & Boston railroad; a new store, by James Thompson, the
proprietor of the linen mill; a store by James Doran; a carpenter shop by William Miller, and a hotel by L. S.
Reed; Herrington's foundry, Joseph Parker's hardware store and tin shop; Valley Falls hotel, Walter A. Groesbeck;
store of David C. Newcomb; E. D. Merrick, builder; carriage shop; Lolinas & Cunningham, dealers in coal and
lumber, and general produce buyers; Silas J. Herrington, selling agricultural implements, and general produce dealer;
Albert J. Stover, simi-. lar business; George W. Finch, civil engineer; H. D. Stover, hay and straw press, dealing
in country produce; tin shop and hardware, by Joseph Parker; Patrick Cas sidy, blacksmith; Sheldon & Merrick,
builders; Elwell & Miller, builders; William and James Miller, wagon making, woodwork; Martin Hoyt, blacksmith,
wagon making, iron-work; Benjamin Street, shoemaker.
The principal manufacturing concern of this village today is the firm of James Thompson & Co., who are engaged
in the manufacture of flax and hemp twines, mosquito netting, tarlatans and buckram, occupying a mill site on the
south bank of-the 'Hoosick river. These mills were originally operated by James Thompson, who has been a practical
manufacturer since 1852, and who acquired the property on which the present building stands in 1870. Mr. Thompson
demolished, with one - exception, all the old buildings which were on the premises, and which had been operated
as a twine mill by Lape & Sproat, and commenced the erection of a large brick mill in 1871. Several years later
he built a large cotton mill in which to conduct the manufacture of mosquito netting and buckram, which had been
previously carried on in New York city. In 1878 the firm of James Thompson & Co. was formed, Mr. Thompson taking
as a partner R. A. Schoneman of New York. Four additional buildings were erected in 1880 and still an other in
In 1881 the Valley Falls Water Power Co. built a new dam, this firm being the leading spirit in the enterprise.
Further improvements in water 'power were made -in 1886 by the firm building a new flume and making extensive rock
excavations. In 1887 the old building was demolished, and a substantial brick structure erected. Previous to this
the company had built a commodious storehouse along the line of the Fitchburg railroad. During 1894 the company
acquired possession of the Valley Falls Paper Co. property on the north bank of the river. In 1895 the large brick
structure was added to the mills to be devoted to the finishing of cotton goods. The mills are equipped with all
modern improvements, including an automatic sprinkling system and electric lights. The present members of the firm
are James Thompson of Valley Falls and Rosa B. Schoneman of New York, the latter being represented at the mills
by Edwin Buchman.
The Eagle Mills operated by Hunter Bros. are another industry. Rye flour is manufactured and other grain is ground.
In the year 1866 District No. 11 of Pittstown and District No. 4 of Schaghticoke were consolidated and a new district
formed, embracing the territory contained in the aforesaid districts, which was called District No. 11, Thomas
Lape, B. A. Baich and A. Hunter being named as trustees. During this year the sum of $2,000 was voted to build
and furnish a new frame school house. Lots were deeded by Thomas Lape free from all claims as long as used for
school purposes. An effort was made at this time to establish a union free school system, bu.t the plan failed.
In February, 1893, it was voted to bond the district for $10,000 to build a new brick school house. The contract
was awarded Easton, Rising & Worden of Hoosick Falls and the building was completed and accepted in November,
1893, at a total cost of $11,601. The board of trustees at this time consisted of G. W. Lohnes, John F. Cunningham
and James Thompson, Sr. June 9, 1894, it was decided to establish a union free school system, the board of education
elected at this time being C. J. Olds, James Thompson, John Kenyon, W. H. Shannon and J. W. Parker. In February,
1896, F. C. Church was appointed to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Mr. Olds. In November, 1895, application
was made to place the school under the Board of Regents and form an academic department, which was accepted and
the charter was granted in March, 1896. The present board consists of James Thompson, president; John Kenyon, W.
H. Shannon, T. C. Church and Alden S. Hoyt. The present faculty consists of George S. Ellis; Mary J. Elmer, M.
Blanche Sheldon, Lena Knapp and Emma Male. Thenew building is situated on Charles street.
Columbian Lodge No. 687, I. O. O. F., was instituted by Edwin F. Gaul, G. M.; Sidney F. Rowland, D. G. M.; Alfred
A. Guthrie, G. W.; and Charles Neher, G. T. The charter members were James Murphy, John F. Cunningham, Charles
A. Clum, Charles H. Edmonds, John C. Gifford, W. A. Manley, Alfred J. Butler, C. C. Percy, C. A. Sproat, W. H.
Shannon, W. H. Sproat and Adam Lohnes. Meetings were held in Shannon's Hall until May 15, 1896, when they moved
into their present quarters in Columbian hail, which was purchased by them March 1, 1896. The first officers of
this lodge were: N. G., John F. Cunningham; V. G., Charles H. Edmonds; recording secretary, John S. Gifford; permanent
secretary, D. Corbin.
Tomhannock was known in its early days as Reed's Hollow, being so named in honor of Joseph Reed, who, in 1805,
built the second tavern there, and ten years later a grist mill, both of which flourished for many years. The first
tavern in the hamlet was built before the year 1800. The earliest settlements made in this vicinity were at a spot
which was known as Stoughtontown, a short distance east of the present site of the place. Otter creek, a branch
of the Hoosick, runs through Tomhannock and furnishes good water power. The post-office was established soon after
the hamlet was and Jonathan Rouse was the first postmaster. It is believed that the name of the office and the
place was changed upon his recommendation.
Raymertown is located in the southern part of the town on the line of the old stage route from Troy to Bennington.
It is a small village, or hamlet, and its principal industries are saw mills and grist mills, blacksmith shops
and stores. The name is believed to have been derived from a family named Raymer, which settled at that point at
an early date. The post-office was established in 1838 and the first postmaster was Robert T. Cushman. The local
lodge of Odd Fellows was organized June 7, 1893, with five charter members and these officers: N. G., Charles W.
Snyder; V. G., William B. Yates; secretary, B. W. File; treasurer, Clarence H. Ryan.
The other hamlets are North Pittstown, originally called Millertown; East Pittstown; Boyntonville, in the southeastern
part of the town, named after a pioneer family bearing the name of Boynton. Charles M. Todd was the first postmaster
and the office was established in 1873 or 1874. Pittstown Corners, and Cooksborough, located in the southwestern
part of the town, complete the list.
The first church established in Pittstown was the Reformed Dutch church, how early is not known. The first edifice
was located near the centre of the town, and subsequently the congregation removed to Buskirk's Bridge. The legal
certificate of the church bears date of March 25, 1800, but the society must have held religious services long
before that time. The society ceased to exist about 1818 and most of the families became founders of the Presbyterian
church at Tomhannock.
The second church established in the town apparently was that of the society of Friends, toward the close of the
eighteenth century. The first meeting house was built about the time the society was founded and a second one was
erected in 1819. It was repaired in 1874 and has served the society for many years. One of the earliest ministers
was Mrs. Rose Eddy.
The Baptist Church of Christ in Pittstown was founded in 1784 or 1787, on which point authorities disagree. Two
early pastors were the Rev. Amos Burrows and the Rev. Isaac Webb. Early meetings were held in the school house
at Pittstown Corners, and the first regular house of worship was erected in 1789. The church was finally divided
over questions of doctrine and in 1838 or 1839 part of the congregation withdrew and joined the Baptist church
of Hoosick. The church property and records remained in the hands of the Baptist Church of Christ, and the old
church practically ceased to exist.
The Second Baptist church at Pittstown was founded prior to or during 1797, when it was under the pastoral charge
of Elder Stephen Hunt. There is no record of the society after 1800.
The Disciples' Church of Christ was the outgrowth of the division of the old Baptist Church of Christ in 1838,
when those members who did not withdraw and enter the Baptist church reorganized under the name of the Church of
Christ. The society was incorporated in 1847 as "The Baptist Church in the town of Pittstown," and the
first pastor was the Rev. Porter Thomas. It was in this church that President James A. Garfield preached when he
was a student at Williams. college. The old Baptist meeting house, the first property of the society, was remodeled
in 1860 and dedicated in the fall of that year.
The members of the old Baptist Church of Christ who withdrew and joined the Baptist church of Hoosick continued
to hold meetings in the old meeting house in Pittstown, by permission of those in possession, until about 1846.
The society was reorganized and constituted a new church December 25, 1846, the first minister being the Rev. D.
S. Deane. The society died out about 1873.
The Presbyterian church of South Pittstown was located at what is now Raymertown and was organized in 1816. Two
years later the first house of worship was erected. The Rev. John Coe, who was the prime mover in the establishment
of the church, became its first pastor. Soon after 1835 the society died out, but it was reorganized and maintained
until 1868, when it ceased to exist and the church became the property of the Evangelical Lutheran church.
The Presbyterian church of Tomhannock was organized October 3, 1819, under the style of the "United Dutch
and Presbyterian Society," and among its earliest preachers were the Revs. James G. Ogilvie, Mark Tucker,
Jonas Coe and Lebbeus Armstrong, supplies. The house of worship was built about 1820, and remodeled in 1859. The
first regular pastor was the Rev. Solomon Lyman, who served the South Presbyterian church conjointly with the Tomhannock
The Methodist Episcopal church at Tomhannock was organized in 1811. In 1850 the churches at Tomhannock and Schaghticoke
were one charge, and may have been long before that time. The records are very indefinite. It is known, however,
that meetings had been held at this point by the Methodists many years before the organization of the church.
About the year 1825 the first Methodist society was formed in Valley Falls. The house of worship was a school house
now remodeled, then situated at the junction of the Tomhannock and old Troy turnpike in the vicinity of the residence
now occupied by Daniel Stover. Some time after a shop on the Schaghticoke side of the Hoosick river near the present
residence of Charles J. Starks was fitted up for Sunday school purposes. In 1839 a church was erected on Main street
at a cost of $1,300. It was dedicated in October, 1839, by the Rev. Noah Leving, presiding elder of the Troy district.
In 1854 the church was remodelled by the removal of the galleries, which at first covered the sides and ends, and
by the addition of a lecture room in the rear. In 1874 the parsonage was built under the pastorate of Rev. A. McGilton.
For several years the Valley Falls church was one of the churches comprising the old Pittstown circuit, but in
1866 the congregation concluded to separate from Tomhannock, and B. Goss, at that time a supernumerary, took charge
as a supply. He served until 1866, when the Rev. J. K. Cheeseman, a local preacher of West Troy, was appointed
and served one year. At the conference in 1868 Valley Falls was united with Hart's Falls and the Rev. W. J. Heath
was appointed pastor. In 1882 the present church was built on Main street at a cost of $15,000. The corner stone
was laid in 1883 and the church was dedicated April 3, 1884, the Rev. J. J. Baton preaching in the morning and
the Rev. T. A. Griffin in the evening. This edifice is a frame building of old colonial style, the extreme dimensions
being 76 by 98 feet. The spire is 100 feet in height, supporting a 2,000 pound bell. In 1884 the old church was
purchased by Albert Hunter and was removed to the opposite side of the street, and transformed into dwellings.
The Methodist Episcopal church at Cooksborough dates from January 20, 1815, though services had been held for several
years previous to that date. A house of worship was also in use, having been dedicated before 1815. The trustees
named in the certificate were William Hayner, Cornelius Filkins, John Freiot, Anthony Lockrow and Andrew Follett.
The church was reincorporated March 17, 1821.
The Christian church of Pittstown was organized soon after 1835, though a certificate of incorporation was not
filed until July 25, 1855. Elder John Spoor was first in charge of the services. The society worshipped in a school
house in Pittstown until 1841, when the first church was, opened for the regular meetings. The dedication occurred
in February of that year. The first settled pastor was Elder Wilson Mosher.
The Pittstown Corners Methodist Episcopal church was incorporated September 5, 1843. It has always been connected
with some other church as one charge, generally with Boyntonville and Potter Hill. There is a church edifice at
each place, that at Boyntonville having been erected a few years after that at Pittstown Corners. The Boyntonville
society was incorporated November 16, 1859.
The Evangelical Lutheran church at Raymertown was incorporated in April, 1853, though the society had been organized
nearly thirteen years at that time, or since August 27, 1840. The Rev. Isaac Kimball was the first pastor. Soon
after organization the society came into possession of the property formerly owned by the Raymertown Presbyterian
church. In 1870 the structure was rebuilt at a cost of nearly $9,000.
The Methodist Episcopal society organized May 18, 1835, in the southern part of the town, is extinct.
St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal church at Johnsonville was incorporated November 4, 1872, and meetings were maintained
for a few years in a chapel built soon after organization. The society finally disbanded and sold its property
to the Catholics of Johnsonville, who soon after began to hold regular services there under the supervision of
the Catholic church of Schaghticoke.
The Johnsonville Presbyterian church was organized February 11, 1856, and soon after erected a house of worship
near the centre of the village.
The Methodist Episcopal church located in the northern part of the town was incorporated April 8, 1851.
The church of Our Lady of Good Counsel, Catholic, located in Valley Falls. was built during the pastorate of the
Rev. Father Murphy, having been begun at the earnest solicitation of Father Gallagher, who held Sunday school in
the school house every Sunday after his return from Pittstown. The ground upon which the church is erected was
purchased from Mr. Hoey of Troy for $1,800. Ground was broken March 19, 1889, and the basement was dedicated August
28 of the same year. Services were held in the basement until May 4, 1890, when the building was dedicated by Rt.
Rev. Bishop McMierney. The building is of brick with granite facings, and the cost up to the time of the dedication
$14,172. By an accident supposed to be due to the powder mill explosion in 1891 the building was damaged. During
the repairing of the church services were again held in the basement until July 21, 1895, when the church was again
In 1892 Rev. C. F. Stanley of Lansingburgh started a Baptist mission in Spier's hail at Valley Falls. March 23,
1893, a church was organized with nineteen members. The ecclesiastical council met May 11 of the same year and
recognized it as a Baptist church. After the organization the Rev. A. M. Hendricks of Fultonville, N. V., was called
to assutñe the pastorate, holding the same from June 11, 1893, to October 1, 1895. In 1893 the present church
was built, the corner stone being laid in October, 1893, and the building dedicated March 22, 1894. The present
pastor, Rev. L. Schemerhorn, assumed the pastorate November 23, 1895. The principal benefactor and those to whom
the establishment of the church are due are James Thompson, Sr., Lewis B. Gurley of Troy, John Allen, B. P. Chase,
B. J. Holly of Lena, Ill., and J. B. Hoag of Easton, N. Y.
SUPERVISORS OF PITTSTOWN.
1789, Israel Thompson; 1790-1795, Benjamin Milks; 1796-1799, Israel Thompson;
1800, Jonathan Brown; 1801, James L. Hogeboom; 1802-1803, Jonathan Rouse, jr.; 1804, John Thompson; 1805, Jonathan
Rouse, jr.; 18064808, Israel Shepard; 1908-1810, Henry Warren; 1811-1812, Jonathan Rouse, jr.; 1813, Jonathan Rouse;
1814- 1815, Simon Neweomb, jr.; 1816, George Fake, jr.; 1817, Reuben Halsted; 1818, Simon Newcomb, jr.; 1819-1820,
Reuben Haisted; 1821-1829, Joseph Wadsworth; 1830-1831, Jacob P. Yates; 1832, Charles Haskins; 1833, Thomas Tillinghast;
1834- 1835, John Van Namee; 1836, Norman Baker; 1837-1844, Nathan Brownell; 1845- 1846, Charles H. Barry; 1847,
John P. Hall; 1848, David Norton; 1849, Smith Herrington; 1850-1851, Samuel Douglass; 1852-1853, Ananias Cronk;
1854-1855, Thomas Hoag; 1856-1859, Samuel Douglass; 1860, James N. Haisted; 1861, Christopher Snyder; 1862, Smith
Herrington; 1863-1865, George W. Banker; 1866-1868, Edward Akin; 1869-1870, John W. Campbell; 187 1-1872, Theodore
C. Richmond; 1873-1874, Charles W. Snyder; 1875-1876, Royal Abbott; 1877, Abraham Herrington; 1878, Eli Perry;
1879-1880, Jonathan Norton; 1881-1883, Charles W. Snyder; 1884-1887, Jonathan Hoag; 1888-1890, George W. Lobnes;
1891-1892, Hiram File; 1893-1895, Charles W. Snyder; 1896- -, Joseph W. Parker.
TOWN CLERKS OF PITTSTOWN.
1789, Evans Humphrey; 1790, Robert S. Bostwick; 1791-1794, Benjamin Hicks ; 1795-
1796, Robert S. Bostwick; 1797-1798, Levy Stoughton; 1799-1802, Jonathan Rouse; 1803-1809, Michael S. Vandercook;
1810-1812, Simon Newcomb, jr.; 1813-1815, John Stitt; 1816-1818, William P. Haskin: 1819, Jacob P. Yates; 1820,
Nathan Bostwick; 1821, Lodovicus Viele; 1822, Hiram P. Hunt; 1823, Theodore May; 1824-1829, John B. Williams; 1830-1833,
Charles Ranney; 1834-1835, Lodovicus Viele; 1836, Francis Benjamin; 1837, Peter B. Abbott; 1838, Job Andrew; 1839-1840,
Royal Abbott, jr.; 1841-1846, David Norton; 1847, Jacob F. Hall; 1848, Paul D. May; 1849-1850, Hugh McChesney;
1851, William Boles; 1852, Royal Abbott, jr.; 1853, Jacob F. Hall; 1854, Smith Herrington; 1855, De Witt C. Haisted;
1856-1857, Melancthon R. Tyler; 1858-1859, David Norton; 1860, Benjamin F. Currier; 1861-1866, Peter F. Abbott;
1867-1869, Charles May; 1870-1871, Peter B. Abbott; 1872-1876, William J. Ray; 1877-1878, Hulbert B. Welling; 1879,
William J. Ray; 1880-1884, Isaac N. Wiley; 1885-1892, William J. Ray; 1893- , John B. Cushman.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE OF PITTSTOWN.
Lodovicus Viele, James Yates, Samuel S. Hyde, sworn in February 22, 1823; James
Mosher, February 23, 1823; Stephen Eldred, September 30, 1823; Jonathan Reed, December 19, 1827; James Mosher,
December 31, 1827; James Yates, January 1, 1828; Abraham L. Viele, December 25, 1828; James Yates, January 1, 1830.
Elected at town meetings: 1830, Jonathan Read; 1831, William L. Brown; 1832, L. A. Viele; 1833, Gerardus How; 1834,
Perry Warren, jr.; 1835, Charles H. Barry; 1836, Timothy Banker; 1837, Christopher Snyder; 1838, Perry Warren,
j r.; 1839, Charles H. Barry; 1840, Job Andrew; 1841, Jacob L. Van Woert; 1842, Perry Warren, jr.; 1843, Charles
H. Barry; 1844, James Mosher; 1845, Jacob L. Van Woert; 1846, William Sturges; 1847, James N. Haisted; 1848, Job
Andrew; 1849, Jacob L. Van Woert; 1850, Perry Warren; 1851, James N. Haisted; 1852, Job Andrew; 1853, JustusH.
Akin, jr.; 1854, Royal Abbott, jr..; 1855, Norman Baker; 1856, Nathaniel Brownell; 1857, Theodore C. Richmond;
1858, Libbeus Lamson, Christopher Snyder; 1859, Charles H. Barry; 1860, Edward McChesney; 1861, Theodore C. Richmond;
1862, Royal Abbott, Royal Abbott (vacancy); 1863, William Carr; 1864, Merritt Herrington, Merritt Herrington (vacancy);
1865, Theodore C. Richmond; 1866, Ebenezer A. Baich; 1867, John E. Twogood; 1868, William Boynton; 1869, Theodore
C. Richmond; 1870, Edward F. Frost; 1871, John L. Snyder; 1872, William Boynton; 1873, Theodore C. Richmond, Ebenezer
A. Baich; 1874, Albert E. Hunter, Eli Perry; 1875, Hiram File; 1876, Charles Russell; 1877, E. N. Aiken, Charles
Terry; 1878, Charles Terry; 1879. Harry Van Wert; 1880, William Boynton: 1881, Emmit N. Aiken, John Allen (short
term); 1882, John Allen; 1883, Hiram File; 1884, William Boynton; 1885, Theodore C. Richmond; 1886, John Allen;
1887, Hiram File; 1888, Gilbert E. Chapman; 1889, Jonathan Hoag; 1890, Albert Hunter; 1891, Clarence E. Akin; 1892,
William H. Rowland; 1893, Jonathan Hoag; 1894, Albert Hunter; 1895, Jay D. Van Wirt; 1896, William Boynton.
1 Mr. Cushman has rendered valuable service in the compilation of this chapter.