TOWN OF SCHODACK.
The town of Schodack was organized March 17, 1795, when Rensselaerwyck was divided. By the general law dividing
all the counties of the State into towns, passed April 7, 1801, the bounds of the town of Schodack were defined
Bounded southerly by the county of Columbia, westerly by the county of Albany, including such of the islands in
Hudson's river as are nearest the east side thereof, northerly by Greenbush and easterly by a line continued from
the north bounds of the manor of Rensselaerwyck at a place nine miles distant from Hudson's river, southerly to
a place in the north line of the county of Columbia ten miles distant from Hudson's river.
In 1806 parts of the towns of Nassau and Berlin were taken off. The town is situated in the southwestern corner
of the county. It is bounded on the north by the towns of East Greenbush and Sand Lake, on the east by the town
of Nassau, on the south by the towns of Kinderhook and Stuyvesant in Columbia county, and on the west by the Hudson
river, or Albany county. It is one of the most populous and fertile towns in the county, as well as one of the
most picturesque. Beeren island, containing about ten acres, is located south of Coeyman's Landing.
The chief village of the Mohican Indians was for many generations located in Schodack, and near by were other Indian
villages of less importance. The name Schodack is a corruption of the Indian name Esquatak, meaning "the fireplace
of the nation," so called because the council-seat of the famed Mohican Indians was located in this town.
Beside Esquatak the Indians had villages called Potkoke, Wyomenock and others.
It appears to be a settled fact that the first white man to set foot upon the soil of the town of Schodack and
of Rensselaer county was Henry Hudson, in 1609, whose voyage and exploration in this vicinity have been described
in a previous chapter. His landing probably was at or very near the present site of the village of Castleton.
The exact date of the first white settlement of the town is not defi nitely known, though the records show that
the first civilized inhabitants were tenants under the first patroon, Killiaen Van Rensselaer. As near as can be
determined the date of settlement was about 1630, though it may have been a year earlier. No reliable records of
the earliest Dutch settlers are in existence, though there are on file in the office of the Albany county clerk
a number of papers relating to transfers of real estate and other affairs occurring a few years later. Other documents
on file in the office of the secretary of state in Albany give a hint at some of. the early transactions. One of
the latter shows that September 2, 1675, about forty-five years after the first settlements had been made, Barendt
Myndertse, a master shoemaker, received a deed to about seventy-four acres of land from the Mahikander Indians.
From the description of this grant it probably embraced a-part of the present site of Schodack island. Myndertse
settled in Beverwyck as early as 1659. His two brothers, Myndert and Carster Frederickse, were among the earliest
settlers. October 4, 1663, Voickert Janssen [Douw] and Jan Tomassen bought of two Indians-Wattawit and Pepewitsie,
his mother-" their certain land lying on the goojer's kil on Apjen's island, or by the Indians called Schotack,
their portion of said Apjen's island is the north end. . . ." . . January 17, 1664, the same men bought of
two other Indians, Panasit and Wápto, brothers, the land on the east side of the island. December 29, 1670,
Jan Laurense [Van Alen] purchased of Voickert Janse [Drow] and Jan Thomase land in Schodack formerly occupied by
Adriaen Dirruxse De Vries, so the latter also must have been an early settler.
Among the first permanent settlers of the town was Hendrick Maase Van Beuren or Van Buren, son of Maas Hendrickse
Van Buren, who preceded him in the settlement of the town. The latter's father came from Holland and had a farm
at Papsknee island. Descendants of this family settled in various parts of the town. Other pioneers were Wouter
Barhuydt [Barheit], Jeronimus Van Valkenburgh, Casparus Springsteen and Jacob Cornelius Schermerhorn. Another Schermerhorn
family settled in the town early in its history. Jacob Schermerhorn lived in the northern part of the town and
his children were Jacob, Barney, Cornelius, Catalina and Geralty. Hanse Van Valkenburgh and Nicholas Ketel [Kittle]
resided near the river in the northern part of the town in 1767, and not far from them about the same time lived
Isaac Muller, Hendrick Schevers, Peter Lodewick, Anthony Poel, Hendrick Beekman and Jonathan Witbeck. On the island
since called Staats island lived Joachim Staats and Gerrit Staats. In the northern part of the town lived Casper
Ham and Henry Shans. John E. Lansing and Obadiah Lansing also settled in the northern part of the town in the early
part of the eighteenth century. Jacob John made one of the early settlements in the middle of the town, about three
miles east of Castleton.
The western part of the town, near the Hudson river, was undoubtedly settled some time before the country further
to the east. The rich alluvial soil in the western portion was more tempting to farmers, and nearly all the first
settlers were farmers. Some confined themselves to trading with the Indians and trapping fur-bearing animals, but
farming was the principal industry.
Many of the early settlers of Schodack took a prominent part in public affairs. Among these was Anthony Ten Eyck,
who was the first county judge of Rensselaer county, to which position he was appointed February 18, 1791.
The old post road between Troy and New York was doubtless the first improved turnpike running through the town
of Schodack, and is said to be one of the oldest public highways in the State. It was originally called Kingsbrut
and is believed to have been constructed by the English during the first French and Indian war. The road known
as the Farmers' turnpike along the river was constructed soon after the war of the Revolution. The Boston and Albany
turnpike was laid in the year 1800. These and the other roads were the courses used by the numerous early stage
lines which passed through every part of the town.
The first town meeting in Schodack was held April 7, 1795, Thomas Frost acting as moderator. At this meeting these
officers were chosen:
Supervisor, Aaron Ostrander; assessors, Cornelius Schermerhorn, Nicholas Staats, Thomas Frost, Jonathan Hoag, Nathaniel
Brockway; overseers of the poor, James McKown, Isaac Phillips; collector, Henry Sheffer; commissioners of highways,
Elijah Kelsey, Hosea Hamilton, Walter Carpenter; constables, Henry Sheffer, Charles Mason, Reuben Burton, Joseph
Burch, Thomas Bremijahm; poundmasters, John Van Ness, Jonathan Hoag; fence viewers, Jacobus Vanderpoel, Jacob Barhite,
Barent Vandenbergh, David Arnold, Jesse De Freest, Peter Althuyser, George Milleas Nathaniel Brockway, Samuel Brown,
Germond Filkin, Richard Yates; pathmasters, John E. Lansing, St. Leger Cowles, Darius Sherman, Jacobus Van Ness,
Jacob Van Valkenburgh, David Bell, Joseph Bell, Joseph Vickery, Cornelius Schermerhorn, Jacobus Volmsbee, John
Van Ness, Jr., and Harmon Coun.
One of the first physicians locating in Schodack was Dr. Samuel M. Leonard, who early in the nineteenth century
lived in the eastern part of the town. Soon after he settled there Dr. Ebenezer Balentine located at Schodack Landing,
subsequently removing to Ohio. Dr. Joseph Shirts came after Dr. Balentine, but he died two years later, in the
midst of a highly successful practice, of typhus fever. Other early physicians were John Squires at Schodack Landing,
Henry P. Van Dyke at Muitzes Kill, Cornelius Van Dyke at the same place, and John Van Buren and James Hogeboom
at Castleton. Among the early lawyers were George W. Bulkley, who located at Schodack Landing about 1848 or 1849,
and G. P. Jenks, who settled in Castleton in 1861.
Many of the inhabitants of Schodack served in the Revolutionary War with the American army, among whom were Colonel
Jacob Schermerhorn, William Van Benthusen, Green and Poel. Among those who served in the War of 1812 were Captain
Abram C. Huyck, who commanded a company; John I. Ketel [Kittle], Jeremiah Miller, David Simmons, Braddard Yale,
Jacob Milham, Vandenberg and Schermerhorn. Schodack also sent its full quota to the front in the War of the Rebellion,
most of those serving enlisting in companies in the 30th, 169th and 125th Regiments. The names of those who died
in the service of the United States are:
Andrew W. Van Buren, Adam H. See, Franklin Comstock, Rensselaer Knapp, Seth F. Johnson, Abraham Cornelius, William
H. Southwick, David Rose, Jacob Slummer, Alexander Springsteen, William Acker, Charles S. Hogeboom, John Rourke,
Abiel Smith, Franklin G. Wright, Philetus Brown, Caleb Higgins, Casper Herbert, George H. Race, Philo Wilkinson,
Selden E. Boughton, Chester C. Folmsby, Augustin Reger, John Moser, James Gleason and Edward Gleason.
The principal village in Schodack is Castleton, located on the banks of the Hudson river eight miles below Greenbush
and in about the centre of the extreme western portion of the town. Castleton was named after Castle Hill, east
of the village, on which was once located the chief Indian castle of that locality. The earliest settlers in this
vicinity have already been referred to. Among later settlers were Captain Eslik, James L. Hogeboom, Joseph Proseus,
Jabez Robinson, George Noyes and Nathan Noyes.
The village was incorporated in 1827 at a time when it contained not more than twenty-five houses and a hundred
inhabitants. One of the earliest stores there was located on the dock extending into the Hudson river, and was
kept by Livingston, Hurd & Co. Another was owned by Daniel Wilcox. Still others were kept by Mr. Gregory and
Mr. McCloskey, Sybil & Hogeboom, and later J. W. Van Hoesen. One of the earliest taverns was kept by Joseph
Proseus. It was located in the northern part of the village. Later tavern-keepers were Jeremiah Gage, Jabez Robinson
and Manasseh Knowlton.
The first village meeting was held May 7, 1828, and was presided over by William Fitch, justice of the peace. The
village voted to become a new corporation in 1870 under the general laws relating to villages.
For some time the project of a system of water works was agitated and in the spring of 1896 the village trustees
appointed a commission consisting of Barent W. Stryker, C. P. Willis, Seth Wheeler, William A. Phibbs, August Hounghstine
and Henry Steinberger. This cornmissioü is now considering the feasibility of the project. It is proposed
to have constructed in connection with the water works system a system of sewerage.
There is but one bank in the village, the National Bank of Castleton. This bank was organized January 25, 1865,
by seven of the most promin.ent residents, who, under the charter, comprised the Original board of directors. This
board consisted of Joel D. Smith, Frahk H. Hast ings, Castle W. Herrick, J. V. D. Witbeck, Russell Downer, Andrew
Harder and Edwin H. Griffith. The first officers were Joel D. Smith, president; Andrew Harder, vice-president;
Edwin H. Griffith, cashier. In 1885 the charter of the bank expired and it was extended twenty years. On the morning
of April 13, 1889, the bank building, which was then situated on the west side of River street near the railroad
station, was totally destroyed by fire. The books of the corporation were in the safe and these, together with
a number of notes and checks, were also destroyed. The directors purchased the property almost opposite the burned
structure and converted it into a banking house. It is on this site that the bank now stands. Of the original board
of directors all are dead with the exception of J. V. D. Witbeck. The present board of directors consists of Franklin
P. Harder, James R. Downer, Barent W. Stryker, James Kingman, Frank H. Downer, L. S. Kellogg, James H. Kingman,
N. A. Schermerhorn and George E. Barringer. The present officers are Franklin P. Harder, president; James Kingman,
vice-president; James R. Downer, cashier.
Castleton has an excellent graded school system under the supervision of Principal Frank Clapper. About 300 pupils
attend. The course of study extends from the primary branches to academic subjects, some of the graduates having
been prepared for admission to college. When the village was first organized the necessity of a school was appreciated
by the residents and one was built The records of this school were lost and excepting what can be recalled by early
residents nothing can be learned. About eighty years ago Catherine Van Buren, who was subse. quently Mrs. Hannibal
Finck of Valley Falls, donated to the village a lot upon which was to be erected a building for school purposes.
A frame structure was built in 1820 on the rear of the ground. Eighteen years afterwards this building was demolished
and a brick one substituted. The school house at present in use was built in 1866 and its dimensions are fifty-six
feet by thirty-four feet, two stories in height.
The village has a - very efficient fire department, consisting of the Frank P. Harder engine company and the
J. W. McKnight hose company. The Frank P. Harder engine company was organized in 1871, it having been found necessary
on account of the frequency with which fires occurred. On a plat of ground which had been given the village by
William Custis in 1864 for the location of a school house, a structure was erected for an engine house and a new
fourth class engine purchased. About 1,600 feet of hose was also bought and this, with other necessary paraphernalia,
comprised the department apparatus. A meeting of residents of the village who composed the fire workers was called
and a company organized with the following officers: President, F. P. Harder; chief engineer, W. P. Smith; foreman,
William P. Smith; first assistant, James M. Dawson; second assistant, P. H. Finkle; third assistant, George Hudson,
jr. The present officers are E. J. Earing, chief; George Knower, foreman; Louis Cook, first assistant; Martin Hoffman,
second assistant; Silas Cargon, treasurer; O. D. Woodford, secretary. At present there are thirty members on the
The J. W. McKnight hose company was organized in 1891 and has twenty active members. The original officers were
Stephen Cornstock, foreman; Abraham Shortsleeves, first assistant; John Van Buren, secretary; J. W. McKnight, treasurer.
The principal manufacturing establishments of Castleton are the mills of Ingalls & Co., the Riverside paper
mill and the postal card works.
The Oak Grove mills, which are conducted by Ingalls & Co. for the manufacture of binders' board, trunk board,
wagon board and album board, came to Castleton in 1888 from South Manchester, Conn., where the business was established
in 1873. The mills furnish employment to twenty-seven persons and have a daily capacity of 13,000 pounds.
The Riverside mills are the property of the Castleton Paper company, but at present are being operated by Horton
Harder, agt. The mills were built in 1863 and for a number of years manufactured straw wrapping paper, having a
capacity of five tons a day. For the past few years the product of the mills has consisted of tissue paper, the
daily capacity being two and one half tons. The mills give employment to about twenty hands.
In 1856 charles Van B&nthuysen constructed the mills now used for the manufacture of paper and postal cards.
The mills were sold to Woolworth & Graham, who now operate them, in 1881. Since the plant has been under the
present management the product has increased from one to sixteen tons per day. The manufacture of postal cards
for the U. S. government has been conducted, with the exception of one contract term of four years, since Woolworth
& Graham assumed proprietorship. The product in the postal card works is 2,000,000 cards per day. The product
of the paper mill consists of writing and blank books, white and colored paper, envelopes, pads and tablets. The
entire plant requires 200 hands in its operation.
Castleton has one lodge of Odd Fellows, Shadyside lodge No. 721. It was organized December 18, 1894, with five
charter members. They were Andrew Hauck, Lewis H. Pardee, Herman Signer, Thomas J. Lape and William S. Castle.
At the first meeting eleven new members were initiated. The lodge is now in a flourishing condition.
There are several other villages- in the town, but none have ever attained the important position occupied by Castleton.
Schodack Landing in the southwestern part of the town on the Hudson river, was settled soon after Castleton. Early
settlers were John C. Schermerhorn, who is believed to have been the first postmaster; Dr. John Squires, Philip
Schermerhorn, Smith Peters and others. The old Kittle tavern was one of the earliest, perhaps the first, of the
Schodack Depot is a small hamlet located on the Boston & Albany railroad near 'the centre of the town.
Schodack Centre is located, near by. The old brick tavern, the first in the place, was built by John Witbeck in
1816. The post-office was established in 1830 and the first postmaster was James Richardson. Schodack Centre occupies
more territory than any other hamlet in the town, its extent being about two miles from north to south. Masonic
hail, one of the old taverns, was conducted in the early part of the century by Manasseh Knowlton, who afterward
had charge of the Bradbury house at Castleton. In those days the militia and independent uniformed military companies
were required by law to meet occasionally for drill and inspection, and Masonic hall was one of the principal places
designated for the purpose. The tavern subsequently passed into the hands of Jacob W. Lewis. The hotel received
its name from the fact that Schodack Unionlodge, F. & A. M., had rooms in it. J. W. Boyce, a well known local
historical writer, in a recent newspaper article" said:
For years the Schodack Centre post-office has been located at Masonic hail. When the Hon. Martin I. Townsend of
Troy was representative in Congress from the Rensselaer-Washington district, an effort was made to remove the post-office
to the Brick hotel, situated about one mile nearer Albany. and the effort w'as : temporarily successful, but such
a breeze was raised by the inhabitants living around Masonic hall, that the office was moved back in twelve days.
The blacksmith shop occupied in 1896 by Thomas 'Early; opposite the brick hotel, has been in use nearly a century.
In' it the stage .h'orses of the olden time were shod. The Brick hotel, located on the Boston and Albany-turnpike
about a mile north of Masonic hall, was 'built soon after the latter. One of its earliest proprietors was John
H. Vandenburgh. It was a famous stopping place. for the fashionable people of Albany in the early days of the century;
Colonel N. S. Miller, who lived for many years on the road to Castleton; was prominiently identified with the best
interests of the town for many years.
His tastes led him early to engage' in the military operations of the State, having arisen from the ranks to be
a colonel of a regiment under the old military regulations of the State, and, when the national guards were organized,
he became colonel of the Seventy-second Regiment, N. G. S. N. Y. He was captain of the old "Bunker Hill Barefoots"-but
whether he was in command when the Barefoots were in ambush, watching the old Silver Greys of Nassau, history sayeth
not. He 'was an efficient commander and had the respect of his command, as well as of those high in authority)
South Schodack is located on the Boston & Albany railroad in the southern part of the town.
East Schodack, formerly called Scott's Corners, is located in the northeastern part of the town. Among its early
settlers were Nathan Frost and a family named Lewis. A tavern was built there about 1810 by a man named Scott,
after whom the place was called Scott's Corners. The first store, established in 1826 or 1827, was kept by Cornelius
Burdwell. Nicholas Lester was probably the first postmaster, about 1854. Scott's hotel was situated on the corner,
and the store was so located that it faced the three roads that met there. The name of the hamlet was changed to
East Schodack about 1845. In the early days of the hamlet there were two wagon shops there, one run by James Hawkins
and the other by William Taber.
Muitzes Kill is situated in the southern part of the town on a creek bearing the same name. One of the earliest
storekeepers was John S. Clapp. The postoffice was not established until 1876, when Mr. Foimsbee was made postmaster.
Masten's Corners is a small hamlet located two miles south of Castleton, and Clark's Corners is in the northeastern
part of the town.
The exact date of the establishment of the Reformed Protestant Dutch church of Schodack is not known. The earliest
record in existence begins with 1770, but as early as 1754 preaching services had been conducted at Schodack. Whether
a church edifice was erected before that time is not known. Until 1810 the church and parsonage were located near,
Schodack Landing. In the latter year the site was changed to Muitzes Kill, the building being used until February
7, 1876, when, it was burned. A new church was at once erected at a cost of $6,000 and was dedicated December 6,
1876. The first regular pastor was Johannes Casparus Fryenmoet, who also served the congregation at Kinderhook,
Columbia county. He continued for about eight years, when he died, and for twelve years the society was without
a regular pastor. Rev. James Romeyn, the second pastor, began his labors in 1788, serving also a church in Greenbush.
In 1820 the connection between the Schodack and Nassau churches, which had existed since the organization of the
latter in 1803, was dissolved, and in May, 1821, the Rev. Isaiah Y. Johnson was called to the Schodack church,
becoming the first pastor who devoted his services exclusively to the Schodack church.
The Reformed church at Schodack Landing was founded by members of the Reformed Protestant Dutch church November
2, 1858, and for a time was under the direction of the parent church. In 1866 it became independent, its first
pastor, the Rev. Isaac L. Kip, serving from 1867 to 1875.
The Schodack Baptist church was founded in 1780, its first pastor being the Rev. Mr. Tubbs. The first house of
worship was a log meeting house, which was succeeded in 1800 by a more pretentious edifice. After the death of
Mr. Tubbs the church was without a pastor until 1797, when the Rev. Stephen Olmstead accepted a call, serving the
church for thirty-five years.
The Castleton Methodist Episcopal church began in 1836 as a mission station in the Chatham circuit. The church
edifice was built in 1838 and the Rev. Philetus Green became the first pastor. In 1852 a parsonage was purchased,
but in 1870 a new one was built at a cost of $3,000. In 1861 the church was remodeled at a cost of about $2,200.
The corner stone of the Reformed church at Castleton was laid July 19, 1852. The architecture of the building was
pure Gothic and consistently maintained throughout. In response to an application from forty-two persons to the
classis of Rensselaer, a church organization was effected December 27, 1852. The dedication services were held
February 22, 1853. Divine worship was regularly held in this church until 1886, when the building was torn down
and the present attractive, commodious edifice was erected in its place. Until 1887 the church owned a parsonage,
but this was sold to reduce the mortgage indebtedness upon the church property. Regular preaching services are
held in the summer season at what is called the White school house, and also at the Brick school house. The church
has had six pastors and one stated supply. Rev. Edward P. Stimson served from 1853 to 1861, Rev. Edgar L. Hermance
from 1861 to 1869, Rev. George H. Mills from 1870 to 1882, Rev. Alan D. Campbell from 1882 to 1889, Rev. John Dunlap
served as a supply from 1889 to 1890, Rev. Cornelius E. Wyckoff was pastor from 1891 to 1893, Rev. Eugene E. Thomas
began his pastorate in April, 1894, and still continues to enjoy the esteem and co-operation of his parishioners.
The East Schodack Evangelical Lutheran church was organized May 15, 1842, and the Rev. H. L. Doxwasthefirst pastor.
The first house of worship was erected in 1844. The Second Lutheran church at West Sand Lake and the church at
East Schodack were under one pastorate for many years, but the congregation at the East Schodack church became
so large that it was found necessary either to enlarge the church or build a new one. The latter course was taken
and in 1872 a new church was erected at an expense of about $10,000. This church was subsequently struck by lightning,
which damaged it very much, but it was thoroughly repaired and the inside walls ceiled, and it is now regarded
as one of the finest church buildings in this part of the State.
About the year 1888 a few Dutch speaking families who had emigrated from Holland at different times during the
past quarter of a century, began to hold religious services in the Reformed church at Castleton. These meetings
were at first conducted by Domine Dykstra, then pastor of the Holland church in Albany. Some of these families
are reg. ular communicants in the Castleton Reformed church, but a large number still retain their church membership
in Holland. These services are conducted mainly for the benefit of those who cannot speak English, but at the same
time a Sunday school has been established for the religious training of children. Many of these children also receive
instruction in the Reformed Church Sunday school. While these families do not.n.ow receive the ministrations of
a regularly ordained clergyman, yet for the past two years they have profited by the preaching of Mr. Vposje van
Bruggen, an elder in the Holland church at Albany.
SUPERVISORS OF SCHODACK. 1
1795-1799, A. 0. Ostrander; 1800-1809, C. Schermerhorn; 1810-1813, William Lewis;
1814-1816, C. I. Schermerhorn; 1817-1819, W. Brockway; 1820-1822, S. R. Cambell; 1823, J. Witbeck; 1824, S. R.
Cambell; 1825-1883, A. Buckman; 1834-1839, J. Shibley; 1840-1843, A. Buckman; 1844, P G. Ten Eyck; 1845, S. McClellan;
1846-1847, J. N. Vedder; 1848, William N. Budd; 1849, E. Conklin; 1850-1852, G. Lansing; 1854-1856, S. W. Tallmadge;
1857-1859, M. Knickerbocker; 1860, B. L. Van Hoesen; 1861-1862, H. B. Howard; 1863, J. Schermerhorn; 1864, H. B.
Howard; 1865, M. J. Miller; 1866-1867, John Green; 1868-1869, H. P. Van Hoesen; 1870- 1871, N. S. Miller; 1872-1873,
J. V. D. Witbeck; 1874, G. Van Voorhis; 1875, Isaac Carpenter; 1876-1877, W. R. De Freest; 1878-1879, Frank P.
Harder; 1880-1881, George R. Miller; 1882, John W. McKnight; 1883, Isaac Carpenter; 1884-1885, Frederick Hill;
1886-1887, Jacob P. Lansing; 1888-1889, John Moore; 1890-1891, Charles Hyde Smith; 1892-1895, George Anderson;
1896- -, Frank M. Boyce.
TOWN CLERKS OF SCHODACK.
1795-1797, Theodosius Drake; 1798-1800, James Vandenburgh; 1806, John Smith, 1808,
John D. Smith; 1811, Henry Livingston; 1813, Jesse Brockway; 1817, Matthias Huist; 1821, Jeremiah Shibley; 1827,
Abraham Hogeboom; 1828, Milo Cragin; 1829, Samuel R. Cambell; 1832, Barent Hoes; 1833, Henry C. Lodewick; 1839,
Garret Lansing; 1843, Peter Hogeboom; 1844, William Spring; 1845, Marcus W. Lasher; 1846, Nicholas S. Miller; 1848,
George Van Voorhis; 1849, Nicholas I. Miller; 1856, J. V. D. Witbeck; 1857. George D. Shibley; 1860, George Van
Voorhis; 1861, Henry Van Denbifrgh; 1863, Samuel S. Warner; 1865, Frank P. Canedy; 1867, Richard Packman; 1870,
Garret G. Lansing; 1871-1872, David Becker; 1873, Oscar J. Lewis; 1874, David Becker; 1878-1879, John Moore; 1880-1881,
David Becker; 1882-1887, John Moore; 1888-1893, Frederick Hill; 1894-1895, Charles I. Miller; 1896- -, Oscar J.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE OF SCHODACK.
1832, Jacob W. Lewis; 1833, William Van Dusen, Abraham V. Schermerhorn; 1834,
Lawrence C. Hogeboom, Samuel Stevenson; 1835, John Garrison; 1836, Abial Buckman, William Harris; 1837, Abial Buckman,
John Garrison; 1838, Abial Buckman, John Alberton; 1839, Elisha C. Conklin, John Carpenter; 1840, Nathaniel Griffith;
1841, John Carpenter; 1842, Abial Buckman; 1843, Elisha C. Conklin; 1844, Henry M. Smith; 1845, John Carpenter;
1846, Abial Buckman; 1847, David Booth; 1848, Henry M. Smith; 1849, James M. Debous, Milton Knickerbocker; 1850,
Abial Buckman; 1851, David Booth; 1852, Milton Knickerbocker; 1853, Isaac Carpenter; 1854, Lawrence C. Hogeboom;
1855, Abel N. Garrison; 1856, Milton Knickerbocker; 1857, Nathan N. Seaman; 1859, Abel H. Garrison; 1860, Josiah
W. Boyd; 1861, Joel Carpenter; 1862, Nathan N. Seaman; 1863, Abel H. Garrison; 1864, Seneca S. Smith; 1865, Joel
Carpenter; 1866, Silas Cargon; 1867. Abel H. Garrison; 1868, George Eckes; 1869, Joel Carpenter; 1870, Silas Cargon;
1871, Eli Shafer; 1872, P. S. Miller; 1873, Isaac Carpenter; 1874, N. N. Seaman; 1875, Eli Shafer; 1876, P. S.
Miller; 1877, Isaac Carpenter; 1878, Nathan N. Seaman; 1879, Eli Shafer, William R. De Freest (appointed to fill
vacancy); 1880, Lewis N. S. Miller; 1881, Isaac Carpenter; 1882, Silas Cargon; 1883, Wesley B. Smith; 1884, Justin
Burwell; 1885, Isaac Carpenter; 1886, Silas Cargon; 1887, Nicholas S. Miller; 1888, Clark Waterbury; 1889, Isaac
Carpenter; 1890, Silas Cargon; 1891, Sylvanus Finch; 1892, Charles C. Warner; 1893, John K. Holmes; 1894, Silas
Cargon; 1895, Sylvanus Finch; 1896, Peter A. Miller.
PRESIDENTS OF CASTLETON
1827, John Stearns; 1828-1829, Lawrence C. Hogeboom; 1830-1831, Jeremiah Gage;
1832, James Hogeboom; 1833, William Civill; 1834, Henry Gage; 1835, Lawrence C. Hogeboom; 1836, Ralph Buss; 1837-1838,
Lawrence C. Hogeboom; 1839, John Stearns; 1840, Jacob Brucher; 1841-1842, John P. Ostrander; 1843, Philip H. Smith;
1844-1845, Abial Buckman; 1846-1851, Henry Gage; 1852-1853, Samuel B. Campbell; 1854, Joel D. Smith; 1855, Samuel
B. Campbell; 1856, Andrew Harder; 1857-1859, Isaac V. Schermerhorn; 1860, Jeremiah W. Van Hoesen; 1861-1862, Isaac
V. Schermerhorn; 1863, John V. D. Witbeck; 1864-1865, Isaac V. Schermerhorn; 1866, Jacob Seaman; 1867, John V.
D. Witbeck; 1868, Isaac V. Schermerhorn; 1869. Philip Lansing; 1870-1871. Franklin P. Harder; 1872, James R. Downer;
1873, Silas Cargon; 1874, James R. Downer; 1875-1877, George Anderson; 1878, Abram Van Buren; 1879-1882, Samuel
B. Campbell; 1883, James A. Sloan; 1884, J. V. D. Witbeck; 1885, James R. Downer; 1886-1887, James A. Sloan; 1888,
C. G. Richards; 1889-1890, Clarence Seaman; 1891, George Anderson; 1892-1893, Barent W. Stryker; 1894, C. P. Woolworth;
1895- -, John Flynn.
VILLAGE CLERKS OF CASTLETON.
1828-1 829, Robert Hitchcock; 1830-1831, J. E. Stearns; 1832, Henry Gage; 1833,
Horace Bell; 1834, Humphrey Witbeck; 1835-1838, N. N. Seaman; 1839, James B. Witbeck; 1840, Peter Hogeboom; 1841-1843,
John C. Davis; 1844, Harrison H. Hall; 1845, James B. Witbeck; 1846-1851, Joel D. Smith; 1852-1858, Philip H. Smith;
1854, C. G. Richards; 1855, James L. Hogeboom; 1856-1858, Horace Bell; 1860, James L. Hogeboom; 1861-1865, Rufus
Rose; 1866, Jacob Boucher; 1867-1868, Franklin P. Harder; 1869, Silas Cargon and Garret G. Lansing; 1870, Silas
Cargon, Garret G. Lansing and William P. Smith; 1871-1875, William P. Smith; 1876, Silas Cargon; 1877-1881, William
P. Smith; 1882-1891, Osborne Earing; 1892, C. W. Knowlton; 1893- -, Charles E. Buckman.
1 Much of the information regarding the officers of the town of Schodack was courteously furnished by Town Clerk
Oscar J. Lewis.