TOWNS OF RICHMOND COUNTY.
This work contained many footnotes that were not readable. These were not included in the online work even though
they contained much valuable information.
Also see Richmond County.
CASTLETON—was first recognized as a town March 7, 1788. It lies in the N. part of the island, and is
the smallest but most populous and wealthy town in the co. The surface is mostly hilly. The people are principally
engaged in manufacturing. Factoryville (North Shore p. o.) is a populous village in the N. W. part of the town,
containing extensive dye and print works and other manufactories. Elliottsville is a hamlet. A little E. of this
place is the Sailors’ Snug Harbor, an institution established for the support of aged and infirm mariners. An institution
for the support and education of the destitute children of seamen is situated near the Sailors’ Snug Harbor. New
Brighton (p. v.) contains 5 churches, several manufactories, 2 large family boarding houses, and the residences
of many persons doing business in New York City. Tompkinsville (p. v.) contains 4 churches and a number of manufactories.
In this village are numerous suburban residences; and near by was the Quarantine. Centerville is a hamlet. The
census reports 7 churches in town.
NORTHFIELD — was formed March 7, 1788. It is situated in the N. W. part of the co. and includes several
small islands in Staten Island Sound and Newark Bay. Its surface is level in the northern and central parts and
hilly in the southern. Fresh Kils form the boundary between this town and Westfield. The soil is a clayey loam,
under excellent cultivation. Along the w. and s. borders are extensive salt marshes. The town is very thickly settled
along the shore of Newark Bay and tje kil Van Kull. Port Richmond, (p. v.,) in the N. E. part of the town, is a
large manufacturing village, with convenient docks for shipping. Pop. 1,429. Graniteville. adjacent to Port Richmond,
is a small settlement, with a pop. of 481. Granite was formerly extensively quarried at this place. Mariners Harbor
(p. v.) is a thickly settled street along the shore of Newark Bay. Pop. 1,142. Old Place and New Springville (p.
o.) are hamlets. Chelsea is a small village nearly opposite the mouth of Raliway River. Southfield and Hollins
Hook are hamlets, and Long Neck is a p. o. near Fresh Kil. A part of Richmond and of Egbertsville are in this town.
St. Andrew’s Church, (Prot. E.,) at Richmond, is the oldest on the island, and under the Colonial Government it
was supported by a co. tax. The census reports 11 churches in town.”
SOUTHFLELD — was formed March 7, 1788. It is a long, narrow town extending along New York Bay. Great
Kils is a bay in the s. part. Its surface is level or gently undulating, terminating in bluffs upon the E. shore.
In the S. part are several small streams bordered by salt meadows. Stapleton (p. v.) is a scattered village in
the N. part of the town. It contains 4 churches. The Seamen’s Retreat and the Mariners’ Family Asylum are located
here. Clifton contains 2 churches and many beautiful residences. Richmond (p. v.) is situated on a creek tributary
to the Fresh Kils, on the line of Northfield. It is the co. seat, and contains the Co. buildings, 1 church, and
about 50 houses. Bay View is a p. o., and Egbertville (New Dorp p. o.) is a small village. The census reports 5
churches in town.
WESTFIELD — was formed March 7, 1788. It occupies the s. w. extremity of the island, and is the largest
town in the co. Its surface is generally level or gently undulating. Princes Bay is an indentation upon the s.
coast, to the E. of which is Seguines Point. Fresh Kils forms the boundary between this town and Northfleld. Material
for fire brick is found in abundance near Staten Island Sound, and considerable quantities of it have been taken
to New York for manufacture. Upon the coast, near the w. extremity of Princes Bay, is a lighthouse. The people
of this town are principally engaged in fishing and taking oysters. A limited amount of manufactures is carried
on. Tottenville (Bentley p.o.) is situated on Staten Island Sound, opposite Perth Amboy. Pop. 600. Kreischerville,
(p. v.,) on Staten Island Sound, contains a large firebrick manufactory, and 1 church. Pop. about 400. In the vicinity
are large beds of fire clay, paper clay, fire sand, and kaolin. Rossville (p. v.) has a population of 300. The
inhabitants are chiefly engaged, directly or indirectly, in the oyster trade. Lemon Creek (p. o.) is a hamlet,
known as “Pleasant Plains,” and Marshland is a p. o. Blouming View and Wood Row are small villages. Richmond Valley
(p. o.) is a hamlet, and Southside a p. o. The census reports 7 churches in town.