NEW HEMPSTEAD, HAMPSTEAD OR RAMAPO.
In the history of this town I shall draw largely from the History of the Town of Ramapo, by Rev. Eben B. Cobb.
At the same time and for the same reasons, that led the people of the present Clarkstown to petition for a separate
town existence, the residents of Ramapo asked the like privilege, and, in 1791, the town of New Hempstead was erected
with an area of 34,545 acres.
Among the early settlers within the limits of the present town were a number of families from about Hempstead,
in Queens county, and these immigrants gave to their new home the name of the one they had left, distinguishing
it from the older settlement by calling it New Hempstead. The Indian name of this section was Hackyackaweli, which
soon became corrupted by the settlers to Kakiat, and for many years this portion of the County was indifferently
called by either name. Upon the erection of the town, the name, that the settlers from Long Island had given their
settlement, was adopted for the town. New Hempstead remained the appellation of the township till March 3d, 1797,
when the Legislature passed an act from which the following extract is taken: "That the town of New Hempstead,
in Orange County, shall hereafter be called, known, and distinguished by the name of Hempstead, any law, usage
or custom, to the contrary notwithstanding."
Mr. Cobb, in his history of the town, regards this name as growing from an error in orthography, and thinks that
Hampstead instead of Hempstead was intended. In proof of this view, he says: "We are led to this conclusion
from the fact that in the town records and on deeds after this, the name is most frequently written Hampstead,
and that Horatio Gates Spaffard, * * in a Gazetteer, published by him at Albany in the year 1813, states that from
correspondence with old inhabitants of the Town, and some of its present officers,' he adopts the name of Hampstead."
I would add to these reasons, that in the New York Civil List, under the caption of Obsolete Towns, the name is
given as Hampstead.
Whatever the Legislature may have intended, however, Hempstead was the legal name given; and now followed "confusion
worse confounded" If the prefix of New, had failed to distinguish this from the Long Island town, certainly
matters were not bettered when that prefix was dropped. I, myself, recall hearing old people speak of the town,
using the Indian or its other designations indifferently, and for some time found difficulty in recognizing that
all the names applied to the same section; we may judge then how confusing such a multiplicity of names would be
to a stranger. And, as if to add still further to the intricacy, the church at Clarksville, until 1840, was officially
entitled: The First Reformed Dutch Church of New Hempstead.
Such a condition of affairs could not long be tolerated in a town so rapidly increasing in importance, and in the
fall of 1828, a meeting of the residents was held at Cassady's Corners to petition the Legislature for a change.
"The meeting is reported by those still living," says Mr. Cobb, "as quite stormy,' owing to the
various names which were proposed. One was for calling the town Columbus, after the discoverer of America; another,
Denton, in honor of Abraham Denton, the first man who settled in the town; another, Seamantown, after Jacomiah
Seaman, the first white child born in the town; another, Ramapo, after the river and mountains of that name found
in the town. Still another advocated New Antrim, after the place called New Antrim, founded by John Suffern near
the point of the mountain, and still one more thought Mechanicstown should be the name, after a hamlet by that
name just springing into life in the centre of the town.
At last, after much discussion, it was by a plurality of votes decided to petition the Legislature to make the
name Mechanicstown." The Legislature did make it Ramapo, influenced, it is said, by a letter from Hon. J.
H. Pierson, favoring that name. If posterity had no other cause to be grateful to Mr. Pierson, this act alone should
make us revere his memory. Perhaps no greater wrong has been perpetrated in this country than the extinction not
only of the Indian race, but also of their very names. The first mention of the name that Mr. Cobb has found is
in a deed dated August loth, 1700. It is there spelled Ramapough. In 1708, it is written Romopock; and later, becomes
Romapuck or Ramapuck, Ramapaugh and Ramapo. Tradition gives its meaning as clear or sweet water.
The first town meeting in Ramapo, was held on the first Tuesday in April, 1791, at the house of Theunis Cooper,
near the "Brick Church." The presiding Justices were Samuel Goetchius, Theunis Cuyper, and John Suffern;
and the following officers were elected: Gilbert Cooper, Supervisor and Town Clerk; Abram Onderdonk, Garret Serven,
Joseph Goetchius, Assessors; Henry Howser, Collector; Abram Onderdonk, Aury Blauvelt, Overseers of the Poor; Jacob
Deronde, Peter Van Houten, Albert Cooper, Commissioners of Highways: Albert Cooper, Joseph Lyon, Constables; Stephen
Gurnee, James Onderdonk, Henry Young, John S. Coe, John Myer, Thomas Onderdonk, Fence Viewers; Hendrick Wannamaker,
Garret Eckerson and Johanes Smith, Pound Masters.
In spite of the difficulty in regard to the choice of a name, Ramapo pushed forward rapidly. From the erection
of the town till 1835, it excelled any of the other towns in population and now ranks third. Then it lost in the
In 1800, Ramapo had
" 1825, State Census,
" 1870, U. S. Census,
NEW ANTRIM OR SUFFERN.
The first owner of land in the village, as we have seen, was Jacobus Van Buskirk, who, in 1762, obtained a mill
site on the Mahwah River. In September, 1763, John Suffern, who was born near Antrim, Ireland, moved to the site
of the present village, and secured an acre of land on the south side of the present Nyack Turnpike. Soon after,
he removed diagonally opposite, and built upon the site now occupied by the house of George W. Suffern. Here he
started a store at the division of the roads, one of which passed westward, through Sidman's and Smith's Passes,
to reach the villages in the towns of Goshen and Minnisink, the other running north-easterly through Kakiat to
Haverstraw and King's Ferry, which was the first in the present town.
As we have heretofore read, valid titles could not be obtained to real estate inhisart of the town till after Jan
18th, 1775. As on as security in possession was assured, Suffern began the purchase of land, one of his first bargains
being for the mill right of Van Buskirk. Here he ran a grist mill for many years. Shortly after, he started potash
works, not far from his store, and about 1813, he built a forge on the west bank of the Mahwah, south of the Nyack
Turnpike. Mr. Suffern also built and carried on a woolen factory on the Mahwah, about a quarter of a mile south
of the Nyack Turnpike. These were the early industries of New Antrim.
Upon the opening of the Erie Railroad in 1841, the village took the name of Suffern in honor of its founder. At
this time radical changes had taken place. The road to Haverstraw had been much shortened from those days when
one had to pass through Kakiat to reach that place, and though, as we have seen, the attempt to build the Waynesburgh
and New Antrim Turnpike had ended in failure, still the Haverstraw road had become of so much importance that it
was kept in good order. The Nyack Turnpike had been long since cut through and had materially shortened the distance
to the river, and both these roads joined the Orange Turnpike in the village. With these wagon routes was now combined
The first post-office in Rockland County was established at New Antrim, Oct. 4th, 1797, and John Suffern became
the first postmaster. The office at that time was in Suffern's store. In 1808, this office was discontinued. From
1844 till 1849, the office for the Ramapo works was kept by George W. and Jno. C. Suffern, in the store now occupied
by Alanson Traphagen, but the Suffern office was not established till March loth, 1858. At that time George W.
Suffern was postmaster and held the office till 1861, when Alanson Traphagen received the appointment. He held
the office till 1868, when Dwight D. Baker became postmaster. Baker was succeeded by James Wannamaker in 1882,
and the office was moved to the postmaster's store, In August, 1885, Peter D. Johnson became postmaster.
The first store in the present village was built in 1842, by George W. Suffern. In 1884, the village contained
20 stores, 90 houses, 2 hotels, and a population of about 600 people.
Ramapo Lodge, No. 589, F. & A. M., was instituted June 1st, 1865, with Charles E. Suffern, W. M.; S. M. Hungerford,
S. W.; George M. Crane, J. W.; R. F. Galloway, Treasurer; Daniel Sherwood, Secretary; W. D. Furman, S. D.; Stephen
A. Ronk, J. D.; John W. Crum, S. M. C.; John. H. Wannamaker, J. M. C.; Peter Sines, Tyler; A. R. Leport and W.
Ramapo Council, 436, A. L. of H. was instituted February 21st, 1880, with D. B. Baker, D. Cooper, C. F. Whither,
A. S. Bush, T. J. Yost, A. Zavistoskie, W. H. Hollister, W. D. Hall, J. L. Crane, E. Whither, A. S. Zabriskie;
A. C. Sherwood, and E. Roberts, charter members.
Industry Encampment, No. 103, I. O. O. F., was organized December loth, 1883, with the following officers: H.
R. Porter, C. P.; D. S. Wannamaker, H. P.; Harrison Bull, S. W.; John Finch, J. W.; W. G. Eaton, Scribe; E. S.
Roberts, Financial Secretary; G. E. Remsen, Treasurer; J. H. Wambough, Guide; J. L. Crane, J. Woods, J. Zabriskie
and P. Slaven, first, second, third, and fourth watch; A. S. Bush and W. H. Sutherland, inside and outside sentinels;
G. P. Miller and W. Blauvelt, guards of tent,
On November 23d, 1874, a violent storm passed over the village, during which the tower of the Episcopal Church
was blown down and several buildings unroofed. No lives where lost. In February, 1875, the railroad station, erected
in 1862, was destroyed by fire. Though the residents of the village had borne about two-thirds of the expense of
this building, the railway company collected the insurance, and have, so far, done little toward restoring the
citizens' money by erecting a respectable station house.
Among the great conceptions-still born-were the Ramapo Land and Water Company, incorporated April 23d, 1869, and
the Suffern Dime Savings Bank, incorporated April 27th, 1869 Neither enterprise passed beyond the act incorporating
DATER'S WORKS OR PLEASANT VALLEY.
The early industries of this place have been considered in Chapter X. In 1854, the forges were finally abandoned.
Upon a portion of their site a store was built, which is now occupied by Geo. W. Dater, grandson of the founder
of the works; while upon another portion stands a large building, erected in 1882, by Hon. Charles Siedler, of
Jersey City, for mill purposes, but, as yet, unoccupied. Since 1871, Edward Allen has used the building, formerly
occupied by his father, Adna Allen, as a hoe factory, for a grist mill, to which he added saw and bark mills in
Half way between Pleasant Valley and Sloatsburg, formerly stood a grist mill used by the Sloatsburg Manufacturing
Company. In 1874, this building was purchased by Mr. Knapp, and started as a shoddy mill. In 1878, it was burned
by spontaneous combustion, but was immediately rebuilt, and now employs 21 hands, and turns out I8,000 pounds of
shoddy in bulk, per month.
The first owner of land at this place was Wynant Van Gelder, who purchased the site of the present village from
the Indians, March 7th, 1738. Isaac Van Duser, married Van Gelder's daughter, and obtained by gift from his father
in law, the tract of land where Sloatsburg stands, on June 13th, 1747. Stephen Sloat in the course of time, won
the hand of Van Duser's daughter, and received as dower the property which now bears his name, June 3d, 1763. The
Indian name of this place was Pothat or Pothod. The original Sloat mansion is still standing, and is occupied by
a decendant of Stephen Sloat. In days gone by this building served as a public house on the road from New York
We have followed the early manufacturers of this place in Chapter X, and seen that the factories were closed in
1878. In 1882, the old mill was re-opened by Robert McCullough, and has since been used for the manufacture of
spun silk thread.
The post-office at Sloatsburg was established March 27th, 1848, with Jonah Brooks, as first postmaster. He held
the position till 1849, when Jacob received the appointment and retained the office till 1852. In that year Henry
R. Sloat became postmaster. He was followed August 26th, 1885, by Theodore Haff.
This hamlet contained in 1884, six stores, and about fifty houses. It is the location where the only remaining
gate on the Orange Turnpike is standing.
THE Y - PIERSON'S JUNCTION - STERLINGTO JUNCTION - STERLINGTON.
When the Erie Railroad was opened in 1841, the company built a Y at this spot, to turn their locomotives - a
similar Y exists at Sparkill station, and was formerly much used. At a later period, the railroad company built
a station-house at this point, and the place was called Pierson's Depot. In 1865, the Sterling Railroad was opened,
and the place then began to be called Sterling Junction. In 1882, on the establishment of the post office, the
name was again changed to Sterlington.
The first post office established at this place was opened as Pierson's Depot, April 1st, 1847, with George Mapes
as postmaster. The office was discontinued June 16th of the same year. On July 1st, 1882, an office was again opened
as Sterlington, with John C. Messimer as postmaster. The Sterling Mountain Railroad, 7-6 miles in length, was built
to carry ore from the Sterling iron mines and furnaces to the Erie Railroad. The company was organized May 18th,
1864, and the road opened November 1st, 1865. The western terminus of this railway is at Lakeville, formerly Sterling
Lake, another in the many instances of change in name without improvement. As originally built, the gauge of the
road was six feet, but in 1882 it was altered to four feet, eight and one-half inches.
For previous history of industries see Chapter X. In 1852, a new move in manufacturing interest was attempted
here. A large building for a file factory was erected by Davis, Evans & Co. For some reason the enterprise
fell through. In 1864, the manufacturing interests of this village were revived by C. T Pierson, who started the
Ramapo Car Works in the building formerly occupied by Davis, Evans & Co., standing just west of the church.
In 1866, the Ramapo Wheel and Foundry Company was organized, with H. L. Pierson, President; George W. Church, Treasurer;
C. T. Pierson, Secretary, and W. W. Snow, Superintendent. The company leased the old cotton mill, and is now manufacturing
car-wheels and railroad castings.. Beside those used in this country, many of the wheels from this shop are shipped
to Cuba. and South America.
The first store opened at this place was in the old Pierson homestead, shortly after the completion of the works.
In 1805, the building at present occupied by William Van Wagenen, was built for a store. The post-office was established
on November 11th, 1807, as the Ramapo Works, with J. H. Pierson, post-master. In 1821, Silas Sprague became post-master,
and held the office while J. H. Pierson was a Member of Congress. In 1823, J. H. Pierson was again appointed, and
held the office till 1844, when George W. Suffern was appointed. He was succeeded, in 1847, by John C. Suffern,
who remained post-master till 1849, and was followed by Edward V. Lord. In 185o, J. H. Pierson was again appointed,
and was followed by John W. Ten Eyck in 1851, and he by Lucius D. Isham in 1853. In 1857, J. G. Pierson was appointed
post-master, and remained in control of the office till 1862, when Abram Cornelius took charge. In 1863, Charles
T. Pierson became post-master, and held that position till 188o, when he was succeeded by George B. Pierson. The
name of the office was changed from Ramapo Works to Ramapo in 1879.
WOODBURN OR HILBURN.
In 1795, John Suffern erected a saw-mill on the Ramapo, about one mile south of the present Ramapo. This was
followed in 1848, by a charcoal forge, for the manufacture of merchant-iron and to this, a rolling-mill was added
in 1852. These works employed about 25 hands. The works were abandoned in 1872.
In August of that year, George Coffin, George Church and W. W. Snow purchased property at this place from James
Suffern, and planned and began to lay out a village, to build houses, and to encourage and assist their employees
to purchase lots, and erect homes. The place was first called Woodburn, but, when an application was made in 1882
for a post office, it was found that a place with a similar name already existed in the State, and the appellation
of Hilburn was chosen instead.
The first school in this hamlet was erected in 1873, through the efforts of Rev. Peres B. Bonney and the generosity
of the subscribers, on a plot of ground given by J. B. Suffern, and was used for both Sunday and day school, and
also for church purposes. In 1884, it was found necessary to build a large addition to the edifice. In 1873, water
was carried into the village, and every dwelling supplied. In 1876, a brass band was formed, under the leadership
of Charles G. Hoar. The post office was established here on July 18th, 1882, with Wm. W. Snow as first post master.
On July 13th, 1881, the Ramapo Iron Works were started in buildings erected near the Erie Railroad. W. B. Wilkins
was elected President, George Church, Treasurer, R. J. Davidson, Secretary, and F. W. Snow, Superintendent.
Turning now to that part of the town, which lies between Clarkstown and the mountain, we find an abrupt change
from the mountain scenery of Ramapo Clove, to a fertile, agricultural country, well watered by the Mahwah, formerly
Haverstraw, Saddle, and Pearl Rivers, formerly Pascack Brook, and the head streams of the Hackensack. And it can
cause no wonder in our minds, that in the early days of our history, before man had touched the dark and rugged
fastnesses, and wrested from this forbidding gorge, nature's aid, had toiled and moiled to win the fickle goddess,
Fortune, and at last had succeeded in so combining art and nature, that the Clove has now become a spot as beautiful
as any the world can show. It can cause no wonder, that when the pioneers appeared in our County, they shunned
this repellant pass, and selected sites for homes in the open country to the east.
But the infelicity of the soil was not the only cause which led the first settlers to avoid the Clove. Uncertainty
as to titles, as we have seen influenced them also. For these reasons the valley to the east of the mountains was
first settled. Philip Vors, (English Fox), is supposed to have been the first white man to locate in this section
and he, in 1700, built a log house about a hundred yards from the present dwelling of David Fox, near the 14th
mile stone. In 1726, he built his third and permanent house, a stone building 20 feet square.
Fox was not long alone, for in 1712, arrived the band of immigrants from Long Island, who made Kakiat their home.
On September 21st, 1739, when Charles Clinton, in surveying Cheesecocks patent, came to "the houseof Edward
Jeffers," from "Van Dusers, in ye Clove," situated about a half mile east of Sufferns, he notes
in his journal: "Observed houses and settlements on every side." The first of the Kakiat settlers was
Abram Denton, and his child, Jacomiah, is claimed to have been the first white child born in the town.
KAKIAT OR NEW HEMPSTEAD.
At the beginning of this chapter I have spoken of the origin of the name of this hamlet. Here was built before
1754, the first Presbyterian Church in the County and the first church in which divine service was conducted in
English; here John D. Coe kept a store and tavern at which in 1769, the Board of Supervisors met and in 1780 John
Andre, stopped to dine, with his guard on the way to Tappan.
The first post office established at this place was on September 11th, 1813, under the name of Kakiat. No business
was ever transacted at this office. In 1829, the office was re-established under the name of West Hempstead, with
Amasa Coe as post master.
Jacobus Van Buskirk, it is said, built a grist mill on a branch of the Mahwah, at this place, before the Revolution,
and operated it for some years; the business was then changed and the building used as a bark mill until 1825.
At that time J. Sherwood obtained the property and turned the old building into a factory for fulling cloth and
carding wool, a business he continued till 1845. Since 1845, the mill has been used for the manufacture of cotton
bats, by Jonathan and Elias Sherwood.
About 1780, a grist mill was erected, near the one above mentioned, by Gilbert Cooper and carried on for many years.
It is now owned by Abram Cooper. The junction of the roads near this mill formerly was known as Cooper's Corners.
Less than a mile southwest of Sherwoodville, and one-eighth of a mile west of the Sufferns and Haverstraw road,
stands Blauvelt's foundry. The first industry started here was a saw and grist mill, probably in the last century.
About 1830, Richard Blauvelt, who had inherited the property, added to this mill a foundry for the manufacture
of ploughs. In this foundry, it is claimed, was burned the first hard coal used in this section, by Richard Blauvelt.
The works are now carried on by Edward Blauvelt, son of the originator.
A generation passing away, only recognized this name as locating a section where ignorance, lawlessness, and
Godlessness held full sway; where every crime known in the calendar was committed, and where, if a stranger inadvertently
entered, it behooved him well to "leave all hope behind." As usually happens, when a section obtains
a bad name, the further removed the people were, who conversed on the topic, the worse grew the reputation of this
locality, and none painted it so black as those who had never been near it. I speak entirely within the bounds
of truth when stating, that so ill-favored did the name of Ladentown become to the inhabitants of this County,
residing in other sections, that an unintentional stigma is cast upon people born there, and the expression "a
Ladentowner" denoted and to a certain extent still denotes, a social pariah.
Situated midway between Suffern and Haverstraw on the highway, is a collection of some dozen houses and three stores.
This hamlet is Laden-town. The name of the place is derived from Michael Laden, an Irishman, who at one time was
employed as a nail cutter in the Ramapo works and who, in 1816, left that employment and opened a store and tavern
near the present residence of Charles Hedges. Laden's old building still standing a short distance west of Hedge's
Owing to his acquaintance with the teamsters of Pierson's works, to the fact that the liquor traffic in the Clove
had been stopped, and because of its location midway on the road to and from them landing at Haverstraw, Laden's
tavern at once became the stopping place on the road. Here the teamsters partook freely of the liquors they could
not get at home, and, adding to their supply in Haverstraw, either disturbed that village with their riots or else
returned to Laden's and created trouble there. With this unruly condition of affairs was added the fact, that not
infrequently dances were held at the tavern to which the mountaineers came, and these usually ended in brutal fights
and noisy confusion. Such seems to have been the only sins that the hamlet proper can be held responsible for.
But the name of Ladentown was applied to a far wider section. Throughout the mountains which stretched in almost
primeval wildness from Laden's tavern north and west, dwelt a population so sunken in ignorance, so isolated from
civilization that it seemed foreign to our century, and tales of this people, were attributed without regard to
exactness to all the residents of this neighborhood. This population of the Ladentown mountains maintained an existence
by burning charcoal, getting out hoop poles, or making bodies, baskets, and other wooden ware. Squatters in these
wilds in early days had had children and grandchildren born to them, who had rarely if ever been outside of their
mountain homes. Too few schools have ever been in the County, and those schools that did exist were near the thicker
settlements. The good work of churches has ever been going on, but the wild and inaccessible mountains were far
distant from the early houses of God.
So it had come to pass, that the little knowledge originally possessed by those who had first settled in the mountains,
had been lost in their children till at last a population existed but little removed from barbarity. Of this population
strange tales are told of promiscuous association of the sexes, of children born out of wedlock, of ignorance so
dense, that on at least two occasions women over twenty one years of age confessed, when called to the witness
stand, that they had never heard of and knew not the meaning of the name of God, and of moral perceptions so blunted,
that the difference between mine and thine, when applied to the property of non-residents was not considered. As
in every human population so here, there were gatherings of the residents at which too free a use of stimulants
would be indulged in followed by the usual orgies which occur on such occasions. Serious as these social and moral
defects were, they seem to have been the only sins committed. It must rest with the reader to judge whether these
people were more sinning in their ignorance or more sinned against by a civilization, that for nearly a hundred
years passed them by.
Large tracts of these mountain lands were owned as they still are by non-residents of the County, and these owners
made constant complaint regarding and often employed men to prevent the cutting of their forests. This led to ingenious
devices on the part of the mountaineers, and the watchers reported, that by tying his coat tightly about the trunk
of the tree above the line of cutting, the woodman could so deaden the sound of his axe blows as to render it impossible
to hear a sound a few hundred feet away. Tunis Smith, sometime Surrogate and a noted surveyor, from whom this information
regarding the Ladentown mountains was obtained, related that on one occasion he accompanied Mr. Lorillard through
a portion of his property. One night they lodged at one of the better houses and Lorillard, sitting before the
fire after supper, complained bitterly of the way his wood was stolen to make baskets. The owner of the house and
whilom host thereupon stated, that he had never made a basket in his life. Tunis Smith rose earlier than his companion
next morning, and in walking about before breakfast came upon an out house filled from floor to rafters with Rockies.
As he turned away his host came upon him and said: "Mr. Smith, I said I never made baskets. I didn't say anything
about bockies. Don't bring Mr. Lorillard around this way"
The first missionary who entered these mountains probably and laid the foundation for the spread of civilization
was, paradoxical as it may seem, Michael Laden. In the furtherance of business he began barter with the mountaineers,
exchanging his groceries and dry goods for the wooden ware made by the residents in the woods. As the business
grew, he had stated days of the week on which he would visit certain localities, and at last the exchange grew
so great that more than one wagon had to be sent out. In 1836, Laden sold his property to John J. Secor, and removed
to New York City, where he opened a wooden ware house.
Ere many years had elapsed, baskets and later wooden ware began to be made by machinery, the old charcoal forges
passed from existence, and those sources of income were removed from the people dwelling in the mountains. Then
came another important civilizing epoch for the mountaineers, one as paradoxical as Laden's influence, I refer
to the Civil War. Volunteers from this wild territory were numerous. When the War ended or their term of enlistment
expired, these volunteers returned to their mountain homes with new ideas and broader views of their mission in
life and they leavened the whole section. In 1865, the Methodist denomination, which had been at work in this locality
for half a century, built a house for worship at Ladentown, and met with success. In 1869, Rev. E. Gay had his
attention drawn to those living further north, and started Sunday schools at the Sandfield, on the old Haverstraw
and Monroe Turnpike, in the school house and at the bark mill in the woods. At the latter place a log cabin was
fitted up for services and Sunday school. Margaret E. Zimmerman of New York becoming interested in this mission
proposed the erection of a church and with her aid the corner stone of the present church edifice at St. John's
was laid June 23d, 188o, by Rev. E. Gay, Jr. In the fall of that year the building was opened with appropriate
services. By the kindness of Mrs. Zimmerman a day school is maintained and regular services are held in the church.
A post office was established at St. Johns in 1882. The Ladentown post office was established on Dec. 15th, 1871,
with Charles A. Hedges as postmaster. The office was soon discontinued.
[Continued in Rampo History part 2.]