The people of Haverstraw township had seen two sections taken from their vast area and still their territory
contained 27,084 acres. The development of the brick industry and the growth of the limestone business rapidly
increased the population of the north end of this territory, and the inhabitants of the present town of Stony Point,
felt that they should have a separate representative in the Board of Supervisors. With this cause was combined
another. Haverstraw has long had the reputation of taking all political offices for her own people, and the inhabitants
in the north end of the township found, that when they desired some of the public places, their wishes were unheeded
as long as possible, and when refusal would no longer be tolerated, only the smallest crumbs that fell from the
political table were allotted to them. These things bred ill feeling, dissatisfaction grew by a constant interchange
of grievances between the people who felt themselves injured, and at length the creation of a new township was
advocated and secured.
On March 10th, 1865, the town of Stony Point was erected by Act of Legislature, with the following boundaries:
Beginning at a point on the Hudson River, the southeast corner of the land of Abraham B. Conger, about twenty one
chains southerly from the end of the steamboat wharf at Grassy Point, and running thence south about eighty five
and one half degrees west eighteen chains to the Minisceongo Creek, and southwest corner of said A. B. Conger's
land; thence along said Minisceongo Creek, southerly, westerly and southerly, to the northeast corner of the land
known as the Silas D. Gardner farm;' thence along said farm south eighty eight and one half degrees, west fifty
four chains to the public road leading from North Haverstraw to Benson's corner; thence along said public road,
and west line of the said Silas D. Gardner's farm five chains and eighty five links to southeast corner of the
land of William C. and James A. Houseman; thence along the line of said Houseman's land to the south line of William
Call's land, the south line of Washington Waldron's land, the south line of Benjamin F. Valentine's land, and through
other lands, north sixty six and three quarters degrees west, one hundred and thirty five chains fifty links to
an apple tree on the south side of the public road in front of Hiram Phillip's house; thence along said road, on
the south side to the junction of the Monroe and Haverstraw Turnpike; thence along the south side of said turnpike
westerly to the division line between ' Great Mountains lots,' three and four; thence following said division line
north forty five degrees, west to the division line between the Counties of Orange and Rockland; thence along said
Orange County line northeasterly to the Hudson River; thence along the west shore of said Hudson River, southerly
to the place of beginning." The new township, which was named from that bold, rocky promontory which Anthony
Wayne made historical, contained 17,792 acres of land much of it rocky and unfertile in the extreme.
The first town meeting was held on April 11th, 1865, at the store of Robert Kerr; Frederick Tomkins, Abraham S.
Vanderbilt, and George Knapp presiding, and Wesley J. Weiant was elected Supervisor, Benson Briggs, Town Clerk,
and Alexander Waldron, Wesley J. Weiant, Alfred M. Wiles and Josiah M. Dalson, Justices. By the Legislative act
which created the town, Henry M. Peck, Edwin Marks, Henry G. Knapp, William Benson, Abram Weyant, and Alexander
Waldron were appointed Commissioners, to apportion the town debt on each town according to the valuation of the
real estate on the last assessment roll of the town of Haverstraw.
Owing to the nature of her land, Stony Point presents little inducement for agricultural immigrants, and her population,
slowly increasing, is almost entirely located along the river banks. The census gives:
To the present observer, the dun colored sand hills, crowned with a few tumble down shanties, the ugly clay
pits, the long rows of roofs covering brick kilns, and the clouds of smoke and dust that hang over this village
in summer, must cause its name to appear satirical. But there have been other days for Grassy Point, when the beauty
of its verdure, which grew down to the very river edge, and its charming location made it a delightful place for
residence. It was in those days of prstine lovliness that the nameit now bears was given it.
In tracing the early transfers of land in Haverstraw, we found that by purchase the property now embraced in the
village came into the hands of John Allison. Allison died in 1754 and left the tract to his son Joseph, describing
it in his will as "being a tract purchased of Albert Minnie and others, bounded North and East by Hudson River,
South by the mountains, and running Westerly by Minisceongo Creek and the mountains."
Previous to his death, Joseph Allison gave to his sons Johh, William and Joseph, a deed for all the land between
Minisceongo Creek and Hudson's River and the " Narrow Passage," described as " all that tract of
land in Haverstraw called the further neck, bounded North and East by Hudson's River, West, by the marsh, or salt
meadow, and South, by a fence, as it runs across the narrow passage, and stands nearly opposite the point of land
and meadow of Mr. Thomas Hay's farm, on the west side of the creek, containing 103 1/2 acres, more or less."
This land they were to sell. If it brought £600, they were to retain that sum as their portion of their inheritance;
if more, all over and above £600 was to be paid to him.
On April 9th, 1798, this land was sold to Jacob Sabriska, who, in a brief time, sold it to William Denning, Jr.,
and he, on July 4th, 1798, sold it to his father, William Denning. This William Denning, Sr., was a lawyer, who
had accumulated sufficient wealth to permit of his passing his summer months in the country. Not far from the end
of Grassy Point, he erected a handsome house, and remained a summer resident of our County till the time of his
At the time Denning built his house, the whole tract of land above described was heavily wooded with magnificent
oak and chestnut trees. At the mouth of Minisceongo Creek, which, by reason of a long strip of meadow just southwest
of the causeway that leads to Penny Bridge was narrower than today, was a high hill or bluff covered with trees
and grass. At a later period, a small wharf was built which projected into the creek just opposite Crum Island.
After several years, Denning sold ten acres at the south end of his purchase to William Smith, a nephew of Joshua
Hett Smith, who built a large two story house on his purchase, beautified the grounds, and gave to his place the
name of Rosa Villa.
I have gone thus fully into detail to show that however much of a misnomer Grassy Point may seem now, there was
a time when the name was appropriate. After the death of Denning, who was a brother in law of Joshua Hett Smith,
his property passed through the hands of Philip Verplanck, Isaac L. Pratt, Dr. Lawrence Proudfoot, who bought it
with the intention of cutting it up into lots. It was Proudfoot who built the double house still standing near
the steamboat wharf. At this time, the tract was divided into three parts, of which the northernmost came into
the possession of David Munn in 1834, the middle one, after some tranfers, was purchased by A. B. Conger, and the
third was bought by Thomas Murphy and E. Warner as a speculation. The latter also purchased the Crom farm, on the
opposite side of the creek. In 1837, Murphy and Warner failed, and their property later became the cause of the
case of Worall vs. Munn.
The first steamboat landing at Grassy Point was built by Dr. Lawrence Proudfoot about 1830, and for many years,
owing to the depth of water, it was the stopping place for steamers passing up and down the river. Till the Rockland
extended her trips to Haverstraw, this landing was the shipping point for steam communication with the city for
that section of our County north of the mountain. The first hotel at Grassy Point was kept by Dr. Proudfoot in
his double house. On the north side of that house was a small addition in which Proudfoot kept a small store and
bar, and in which the first post office was opened. In 1845, O. C. Gerow opened a general country store in a building
a few feet west of Proudfoot's house. In 1848, James Creney opened a hotel at the Point, on the property now occupied
by Thomas Dinan, and kept it till 1850, when he purchased property at Haverstraw and moved to that place. The first
lumber yard at the Point was started by W. F. B. & A. Gurnee and George H. Smith.
In speaking of the industries of the County, mention was made of the large iron works erected along Florus Falls
Creek and of the brick yards stretching along the river shore. Another industry now demands note. In the spring
of 1845, John I. Wiles moved from Orange county to Grassy Point with his family, and opened a shop for the purpose
of doing business in the shape of blacksmith or wheelwright work. On the death of John I. Wiles, in 1851, the business,
which even then had become profitable, was carried on till 1855 under the name of F. J. & A, M. Wiles, and
from that time till 1861 under the name of F. J. Wiles & Co. Since 1861 the business has been managed by A.
M. & W. H. Wiles. As business increased new works were added. In 1871, a foundry was built and started, and
at the present time this branch of industry, which began in such a humble way, gives employment to many score men
and is used in manufacturing machinery for flour and saw mills and brick making.
The number of vessels engaged in the transportation of brick from the County made marine railways and ship yards
near Haverstraw a Vital necessity. Snedeker's Landing had become a thing of the past and at Tomkin's Cove and Peck's
old dock were the only ship yards north of the mountain. Regarding the opportunity as a good one, George L. Wicks
started a yard at Grassy Point where the depth of water was favorable to the enterprise, and put down a marine
railway in the autumn of 1883.
The first post office at Grassy Point was opened on July 30th, 1834, with James De La Montanya as postmaster, On
Aug. 21st, 1834, the name of the office was changed to North Haverstraw, and it retained this name till Sept. loth,
1836, when it was changed back to Grassy Point. In 1838, Thomas Murphy became postmaster and held the position
till 1844, when he was succeeded by Edward Strang and he in turn was followed by Oliver C. Gerow in 1845. On Sept.
5th, 1845, the office was discontinued. On April 14th, 1871, the post office at Grassy Point was re-established
with Alfred M. Wiles as postmaster.
NORTH HAVERSTRAW - FLORUS FALLS OR STONY POINT.
Eighteen years before the separation of the present township of Stony Point from that of Haverstraw, the population
in the northern part of the territory had increased to such an extent as to warrant the establishment of a post
office in that section. Through the efforts of Dr. William Govan, an office was established in his house and named
The starting of this office made a change in the location of the business centre in this section. Theretofore the
thickest population had been up the road toward Bulson's, and the few stores opened in the neighborhood were nearer
the old tavern than Dr. Govan's corner. The only church edifice, that of the Methodist Society, which had been
built in 1834, stood on the site of the present structure, and the prospect looked altogether in favor of the village,
which could already be forseen, starting in that location. The establishment of the post office stopped this growth
and created the present village.
This section bore the name of North Haverstraw till the separation of the territory, and the erection of Stony
Point township, when it was changed to Flora Falls, the appellation of a pretty little cascade, which falls into
the creek of the same name by the district school house in the present village of Stony Point. So evidently is
this name a corruption of Florus, that I have so entitled it. The original owner of this property was Florus Crom.
He, as well as others in the early days of settlement, was spoken of by his Christian name and this cascaded, being
a good guide to a locality and on Crom's property, was spoken of as Florus' Falls The name of Flora Falls was attached
to the village till 1870, when it took that of Stony Point.
The post office was established at this village on April 1st, 1847, with William Govan, M.D., postmaster. On
May 11th, 1850, Wm. Knight was appointed postmaster and held the office till June 25th, 1853, when Dr. Govan was
re-appointed. On Nov. 17th, 1856, Wm. Brewster became postmaster but held the office less than a month when he
was superseded December 13th, 1856, by Dr. Govan. On November 16th, 1860, William Penny was appointed to the office,
and he has been followed by: William Knight, from May 31st, 1861 to April 7th, 1870, during his term of office,
on March 27th, 1865, the name of the office was changed from North Haverstraw to Flora Falls; Ezekiel O. Rose,
from April 7th, 1870, till January 21st, 1885, during his term, on July 27th, 1870, the name was changed from Flora
Falls to Stony Point; Mary A. Penny, from January 21st, 1885 till August 11th, 1885, and the present postmaster,
Richard B. Stalter, August 11th, 1865.
The first drug store in this village was opened by E. O. Rose in 1865, and this was followed in 1883 by one opened
by William Govan, M. D. The first public hall - Allison's Hall - was built in 1873 by B. J. Allison. Following
the change produced by the establishment of the post office, Theodore Smith built a store on the site now occupied
by the store of E. O. Rose, which was occupied by William Knight, and in 1862 Richard Marks built a store on the
site of that now occupied by Joseph Penny. This was destroyed by fire in March, 1865, being then occupied by Robert
In 1844, William Knight bought the machinery which had been in use in the chemical works of Waldron & Benson,
and started a chemical work for the manufacture of Pyroligneous Acid, not far from Cedar Pond. This industry, which
furnished acid for the Garnerville Print Works, gave employment to three or four men, and was continued till 1868.
On another page will be found the early title to this land. As early as 1789, a small kiln had been started
at the limestone cliffs by John Cron but, as in the case with brick making and stone quarrying, little was done
before this century. From the time of Crom till 1838, nothing seems to have been accomplished with the quarries,
and at the time of Daniel Tomkins' advent, the present scene of industry was a wilderness of bushes and rocks.
In fact, Tomkins discovered the limestone only by searching carefully from Hoboken to the present Tomkins' Cove.
During and after his search, he made several trips on foot between Haverstraw and Newark. In the spring of 1838,
having purchased twenty acres of land the year before for $ 100 an acre, Daniel Tomkins embarked at Newark, N.
J., on board a sloop named Contrivance, with sixteen men, one woman, one horse, one cow, and a small quantity of
lumber, and set sail for his new home. Upon arriving at the now thriving hamlet of Tomkins' Cove, the men and women
were landed by small boat, while the animals were lowered into the water and allowed to find their own way to shore.
A shanty for shelter was at once erected, and on the following day the work of quarrying out the limestone was
This branch of business proved a success from the outset, and has steadily continued to increase in importance.
Beside the manufacture of lime, the company owning the cliff has added to its business by crushing lime stone for
When first begun, the business at Tomkins' Cove was carried on under the name of Tomkins, Hadden & Co. At a
later period, the firm was changed to Calvin Tomkins & Co., and the members were Calvin and Daniel Tomkins
and Walter Searing. In 1859, the Tomkins' Cove Lime Company was formed, and since that time the business has been
conducted in its name.
The establishment of one industry soon led to a demand for another, and about 1842, a store was opened near the
landing by Calvin Tomkins & Co. In 1850, the ship yard was started, and a marine railway laid down for the
accommodation of vessel owners. It may not be uninteresting to know in this connection that the original vessel
which brought the immigrants to the Cove, the Contrivance, is still in a good state of preservation, and makes
regular trips to and from New York city.
Until 1874, the old district school house, a small wooden building which was open for only a brief period during
each year, was the sole educational institution in this section. Then the present Union School edifice was erected,
and presented to the public by Calvin Tonikins.
The post office at this place was established March 15th, 1860, with Warren Searing as the first post master. He
held the office till January 25th, 1872, when he was succeeded by Walter T. Searing,who fills the position at the
GIBRALTAR - CALDWELL'S LANDING.
At the point of the frowning Thunder Mountain, called by its Dutch name, Donderberg, Joshua Coiwil, a descendant
of John Cholwell, one of the original patentees of the Cheesecocks patent, had made a home before the beginning
of this century, and on March 19th, 100, was granted by Legislative acts, the right, in conjunction with Joseph
Travis, of Peekskill, to run a ferry across the river from his landing to that of Travis. By what means Coiwil's
name became transferred to Caldwell is as unknown as the change from Chowell to Colwil, but it did become so altered,
and the old name of Gibraltar gradually gave way to that of the first ferryman. A short time ago, one Charles H.
Jones, a resident of Long Island, who owned some property at Caldwell's, exerted influence enough to get the railroad
company and post office authorities to give his name to the Point. Who this Jones is; what deeds he has performed
that should entitle him, a stranger to our soil, to grace old Donderberg with his name, I have yet to learn. It
is to be hoped that sooner or later the residents of Stony Point township will demand a change of the name back
At Caldwell's was carried on one of those visionary schemes that will be possible so long as people shall seek
wealth without labor. On a preceding page I have said, that when the heavy ordnance was being moved from Stony
to West Point, on its abandonment by the Americans, the flat boats engaged in the transportation were fired on
by the Vulture and one of them sunk. In later days, a rumor was started to the effect that the famous pirate, Captain
William Kidd, had lost his vessel at this point, and that untold treasure lay at the bottom of the river awaiting
recovery. One story has it that a prospector for gold started the tale by his implicit confidence in his divining
rod, which is reputed to have indicated the presence of gold at this spot; and, that on a superficial drag of the
bottom a cannon was brought up. Another story is to the effect that a cannon fouled the anchor fluke of a sloop,
and was hove up by the sailors.
Without pausing to learn how the cannon was discovered, enough to know that such an event did occur and was at
once taken advantage of to obtain money. A stock company, named the Kidd Salvage Company, was formed June loth,
1844, and a large amount of stock was put on the market in January 1845. A prospectus in pamphlet form, called
"Wonderful Mesmeric Revelations, giving an account of the discovery and a description of a sunken vessel near
Caldwell's Landing, supposed to be that of the pirate, Kidd, including an account of his character and death at
a distance of nearly 3,000 miles from the place," was published. Then a coffer dam was built at the extreme
end of the Point, and a steam engine set at work pumping it clear. Some cannon were found, one of which was set
in the curb at the corner of Wall and Broad streets, New York City, and one passed into the possession of William
Blakely, of Verplanck's Point.
Work was continued at this folly till 1848, from one to three dozen men being constantly employed; stock was floated
in England as well as in this country; a fortune was expended in keeping the dam intact against the tremendous
pressure of water, and then the engine stopped; the laborers disappeared, the stock company passed from existence,
the Sheriff wound up the business, and the English cannon, captured by Anthony Wayne, and thought to have been
destroyed by a shot from the Vulture, were returned to land to oxidize and become dust.
Abram V. Thompson and his son in law, Henry Sheldon, were active in the management of this transaction. Mr.
Crane was the engineer in charge of the work. The property was bought by William Blakely, of Verplanck's Point.
The post office at Caldwell's was opened in October, 1885, with James A. De Groot as post master. Another event
in the history of Caldwell's calls for mention. In the war of 1812, it was soon demonstrated that the hope of the
United States lay in her fleet, and the Navy received every encouragement. A new yard was planned, less exposed
to attack than that at Brooklyn, and Caldwell's Landing was talked of because of its safety, and the great depth
of water at it. But, according to the tradition still preserved in this section, the legislators who decided on
this spot, reckoned without their host. Collie, or Caldwell was a Federalist of the most pronounced type. In his
estimation, as in that of many of his confreres, the war with England was not only needless, but actually iniquitous,
and he would lend no hand in the struggle. With this feeling, he placed so disproportionate a valuation on his
property that the Government at once abandoned the project.
On the north side of Donderberg, and extending from that mountain north to Peploaps or Fort Montgomery Creek,
and from the inlet west of Iona Island to the Orange county line, is a vast tract of inhospitable mountain and
rock which bears the name of Doodletown. How this name was obtained is a matter for conjecture. At the time of
the battle of Forts Clinton and Montgomery, the assaulting forces divided in this section and that division under
Sir Henry Clinton, which formed the right wing, had a severe conflict with the American Militia at Highland Lake.
That militia was composed of farmer lads, few of them over five and twenty years of age, and one of these boys
may, in his enthusiasm, have shouted out "Give them Yankee Doodle!" a song that was even then popular.
The shiboleth thus uttered clung to the spot and gave it its cognomen.
It is needless to say that this locality is sparsely settled, and that only by woodmen who are engaged in cutting
and hauling wood to the landing northwest of Iona Island, for the brickyards, and their families. When Beveridge
bought Iona Island, he attempted to civilize this section and erected a church edifice, of which I have already
spoken, in 1851. Day school is held during nine months of the year in this building, which is called the Mountville
Church. Mountville is populated, by one occupied house, and a family residing in the basement of the church. At
the north end of Doodletown, is Highland Lake, and the Pell mansion on the site of Fort Clinton.
The original name of this place was "Waggons" a corruption of "Weyant's Island," being so
called after the name of its owner. In 1847, it was purchased by John Beveridge, of Newburgh, and on it his son
in law, Dr. E. W. Grant, began the cultivation of vines, and the propagation of the "Iona Grape" in 1858.
At one time a vineyard of twenty acres, several thousand fruit trees, and eleven houses for the culture of grapes,
were in operation. Dr. Grant carried on business till 1868. Then he failed in business, and his property was taken
by De Graff, who obtained the mortgage against it from the Bowery Savings Bank. The Island was hired by Hasbrouck
& Busnell, and fitted up as an excursions ground. It remained in the possession of these managers for some
time, and then fell into other hands by whom it has since been carried on as a pleasure ground for excursion parties.
The territory of Iona Island consists of about 200 acres of marsh land, which is overflowed at high tide, 6o acres
of rocky woodland and about 4o acres of soil cleared for tillage. The Island is at the northern limit of the sea
STONY POINT PROMONTORY.
We have already traced the ownership of the Point till it passed into the possession of the heirs of Rachel
Lamb. On May 17th, 1802, James Lamb Armstrong sold one eighth of the tract to Richard W. Brewster. Later, Abraham
and wife sold one eighth to Samuel Brewster, Catharine Waldron sold one fourth to Wm. H. Brewster, and Cornelius
Waldron and his wife sold one eighth to the same purchaser.
In 1826, the National Government purchased a site on the Point for the erection of a lighthouse, and on March 23d,
1826, the State Legislature ceded the land to the United States. Difficulty in obtaining a title was found, owing
to the existence of minor heirs and of heirs residing in other parts of the country. To obviate this difficulty,
an act was passed appointing Commissioners to appraise the land and report its value. These Commissioners valued
the lot taken at $300, and the title was then declared vested in the United States, the money being deposited with
the Court of Chancery, and the proceedings recorded in the County Clerk's office. The lot chosen includes the old
fortifications within which the lighthouse stands. This house is 179 feet above the sea level and burns a "fixed
white light." The fog signal is a bell struck by machinery at intervals of fifteen seconds.
On July 16th, 1850, a demonstration occurred at Stony Point in honor of the seventy first anniversary of its capture
by General Wayne. General Aaron Ward of Sing Sing presided and addresses were delivered by Hon. Hugh Maxwell, A.
B. Conger, William Nelson of Peekskill and Edward Pye. It rained furiously all day. In 1857, the cornerstone of
a monument to commemorate its capture by Wayne, was laid at Stony Point with imposing ceremony. Speeches were made
by Hon. Amasa J. Parker, Hon. B. F. Butler, Erastus Brooks, A. B. Conger, Colonel Scrugham, and John Lawrence De
Noyelles, and letters read from Franklin Pierce, Ex-President; Martin Van Buren, Ex-President; Hon. John A. King,
Lewis Cass, Daniel S. Dickenson, Hamilton Fish, Washington Irving and others. At the centennial anniversary of
the capture of the Point this corner stone was looked for and was found wanting.
On July 16th, 1879, occurred the tooth anniversary of the capture of the Point. A great celebration was planned,
in which civic and military powers should take part and in which the National, State and County governments should
be represented. On the part of the National government a detachment of artillery was sent to the Point by General
Schofield commanding at West Point, and the vessels of war, Minnesota and Congress were anchored in the stream.
On the part of the State, the 7th Brigade N. G. S., N. Y. was ordered to be present. The intense heat of the day
- 102 deg. in the shade - the limited space on the summit of the Point, the lack of sufficient preparation for
the muliitude that attended, all combined to render the demonstration less successful than was hoped for.
BEAR HILL AND PINGED HILL.
The former mountain, situated on the west border of Highland Lake, rises to a height of more than 1,000 feet
above the lake, and 1,123 feet above sea level. The latter mountain is situated in the western part of the town,
on the Cedar Pond road, three and three quarter miles from Stony Point village. In regard to the origin of the
name, one story attributes it to the gorge, claiming that the name means a narrow passage. I incline to the opinion
of Wm. Govan, M. D., that it is derived from the Latin word piniger, meaning pine bearing, as the mountains in
this vicinity were formerly heavily wooded by that tree.
The charitable institution known as the House of the Good Shepherd, is situated in a beautiful location in the
town, and is devoted to the noble work of caring for homeless orphans. This institution originated in the village
of Haverstraw in 1865, when Rev. E. Gay, Jr., then rector of Trinity parish, was left, by the death of their parents,
in charge of seven orphans. A house on the corner of Broad street and Broadway was taken in that village, and Mrs.
Sarah A. Waters employed as a matron. On April 1st, 1866, the children were removed to Garnerville and remained
there till 1872, when through appropriations of $17,000 by the State Legislature and donations of $12,000 from
individuals, the managers were enabled to purchase the property and.erect the buildings now owned by them.
For the first five years of its existence, the institution was regarded as a "parish home of Trinity"
parish. In 1870, a board of managers was incorporated by act of Legislature under the title of "The House
of the Good Shepherd, Rockland County, New York," and consisted of the following members: E. Gay, Jr., Hon.
James M. Nelson, Wm. Govan, M. D., John Taylor, Francis Payson, Charles H. Dabney, A. G. Wood, S. Russell, Jr.,
Frederick Tomkins, S. G. Hitchcock, Rev. Franklin Babbitt, R. S. Mansfield, Walter Delafield, George W. Burr, and
Wm. H. Tomlins. In this institution the children are taught the common branches of education and the various industries
of farm, household and family life.
Two trees, standing within the township of Stony Point, deserve notice for their size, and in the case of one,
for its historical association. On the road which passes the residence of John De Camp, and opposite that residence,
is a magnificent walnut tree, which antedates tradition. At the height of a foot from the earth, the trunk of this
veteran measures 17 feet, 6 inches in circumference. A short distance northeast of the Treason House, and in a
field on the opposite side of the highway, stands another magnificent walnut tree, which measures 21 feet, 3 inches
in circumference at a height of one foot from the earth.
Under this latter tree, it is said, that the Continental Army was paid while in this County. It may be a cause
for rejoicing to learn that the Continental Army was ever paid anywhere. Originally there were two trees at this
spot, and both were purchased by a keen speculator. One was cut down and made up into furniture, which was sold
at exorbitant prices as relics. Ere the other could be cut down, a popular clamor against the desecration had arisen
in the neighborhood, and the purchaser abandoned his project.
Wesley J. Weiant, 1865-66.
George W. Weiant, 1870-75.
Frederick Tomkins, 1868-69-1880-84.
Daniel Tomkins, 1867.
Hiram Osborn, 1876-77.
William E King, 1878-79.
William K. Hammond, 1885.
Benson Briggs, 1865.
Edward A. Thompson.
Authorities referred to: "Session Laws, S. N. Y.;" "U. S. and State Census Reports;" "History
of Stony Point," by Rev. E. Gay, Jr.; "History of Haverstraw," and lectures; "Thirty Years
in Rockland County," by Rev. A. S. Freeman, D. D.; "Nautical Almanac;" Lossing's "Hudson from
its Source to the Sea."