TOWN OF SARDINIA.
This is the southeast corner town of Erie county and is bounded north by Holland
and Colden, east by Wyoming county, south by Cattaraugus county, and west by Concord. It comprises nearly all of
township 7, range 5, of the Holland Company's survey, with a fraction of township 6 in the same range, the three
eastern tiers of lots in township 7, range 6, and a fraction of township 6, range 6; these fractional tracts are
formed by the windings of Cattaraugus Creek which forms the southern boundary of the town. The area of the town
is about fifty-one and a half square miles, or 31,937 acres. The surface is rolling in the eastern part and hilly
in the west and north parts. Shepherd's Hill, southwest of the center, rises 1,040 feet above Lake Erie. The soil
is gravelly loam in the east part and largely clay in the west. The drainage is principally by Cattaraugus Creek
and its tributaries. Cazenove Creek heads in the northeast part and its west branch in the northwest.
The first settlement in Sardinia territory was made by George Richmond in the spring of 1809; he was accompanied
by his two sons, George and Frederick, and located on Cattaraugus Creek. Ezra Nott settled in the Same year between
the sites of Colegrove's Corners and Rice's Corners; his cousins, Asa Warren and Sumner Warren, were in company
with him. Henry Godfrey and Josiah Sumner settled in the town late in the same year. George Richmond opened a tavern
at a little later date. Settlers of 1810 were Elihu Rice and Giles Briggs, and within the next two years, Randall
Walker, Benjamin Wilson, Daniel Hall, John Cook, Henry Bowen, Smithfield Ballard and Francis Warren moved into
the town. Ray Briggs, son of Giles, was the first child born in the town. Briggs opened a tavern at the same time
that Richmond did. Elihu Rice brought in a few goods, which he sold either at his own house or Briggs's tavern.
When a store was opened at Sardinia village in 1820 he stopped trading. Sumner Warren built a saw mill on Mill
Brook on the site of the still existing Simons mill, which was probably the first in the town. Mr. Warren also
owned the land on which Sardinia village stands.
After the close of the war settlement progressed rapidly. Abel Abbey moved into the town in 1813 and bought Warren's
mill. In the following summer Melinda Abbott taught the first school. Within a few years after the war John Johnson,
John and Jeremiah Wilcox, Morton Crosby, Charles Wells, Horace Rider, Ezekiel Hardy, E. Smith, a Mr. Wolsey, Jacob
and Benjamin Wilson and Daniel Hall were living in the town. Jonathan Cook moved in soon after the war and settled
near the site of Chaffee; his son Ira S. was born there in 1824 and still lives in the town. Josiah Andrews was
an early settler and father of eight sons. Other pioneers and residents were: James Hopkins, Luther Briggs, Alfred
Rice, John Wetherlow, Jerome Rider, Dudley Hopkins, William Pollitt, David, Sylvester and Horace Briggs, Addison
Wheelock, Hiram D. Cornwell, Thomas Hopkins, Samuel Crocker, Charles and Joseph Long, Jeremiah Buck, Caleb Cutler,
Charles B. Russell. Several of these are still living.
George Clark & Co. opened a store in the town in 1816 and a little later Samuel Hawkins established another,
which he sold to Reuben Nichols in 1818. In 1820 Bela H. Colegrove settled at what became Colegrove's Corners,
and was the first physician in the town; he became quite celebrated as a surgeon. In 1821 Chauncey Hastings settled
in the village and built a store; two years later he erected a hotel and for many years conducted both. Not long
after 1820 George S. and Thomas Collins built a carding mill south of the village and fifteen years later established
a woolen factory. Town and village now advanced rapidly and the territory was soon nearly all settled with progressive
farmers. After having their hopes of railroad connections more than once disappointed, what became the Buffalo,
New York and Philadelphia road reached Sardinia in 1871. While this gave the farmer better facilities for getting
to market, it did not greatly benefit the village of Sardinia on account of its passing at a considerable distance
to the east. The hamlets of Protection and Chaffee are on the line of the road. In 1878 the Sardinia and Springville
narrow gauge road was built across the southern part of the town, but it was not a profitable enterprise and was
taken up about 1884.
The town of Sardinia was erected from Concord March 16, 1821. The law creating the town made it include all of
township 6, range 6, the southern part of the new town being thus made to extend five tiers of lots farther west
than the northern part, embracing Springville and all of the southeastern part of the present town of Concord.
On the 22d of May, 1822, a change was made by another act, by the provisions of which the projecting territory
described was set off to Concord, giving both towns their present boundaries.
Sardinia farmers have largely abandoned the old methods and crops and now give most of their attention to dairying,
the manufacture of high grade cheese being very extensive. There are nine or ten cheese factories in the town,
most of which are successfully operated every year.
Following is a list of the supervisors of Sardinia, with their years of service:
Elihu Rice, 1821; Benoni Tuttle, 1822; Morton Crosby, 1823; Horace Clark, 1824; Bela H. Colegrove, 1825; Horace
Clark, 1826-30; George S. Collins, 1831-32; Henry Bowen, 1833-35; Matthew R. Olin, 1836-37; Elihu Rice, 1838; George
Bigelow, 1839; Bela H. Colegrove, 1840-41; Frederick Richmond, 1842; George Bigelow, 1843; Frederick Richmond,
1844; Bela H. Colegrove, 1845-46; Thomas Hopkins, 1847-48; Joseph Candee, 1849; Henry Bowen, 1850; Joseph Can dee,
1851-52; Mitchell R. Loveland, 1853; Bela H. Colegrove, 1854; Seymour P. Hastings, 1855; Mitchell R. Loveland,
1856; James Hopkins, 1857-58; George Bigelow, 1859-60; James Rider, 1861-62; Welcome Andrews, 1863-65; George Bigelow,
1866-67; Welcome Andrews, 1868-69; G. C. Martin, 1870; Roderiek Simons, 1871-72; George Andrews, 1873-74; Addison
Wheelock, 1875-76; Hiram D. Cornwell, 1877-78; Addison Wheelock, 1879- 80; Luther Briggs, 1881-82; Charles M. Rider,
1883-84; Charles B. Russell, 1885-86; Albert Hale, 1887; Robert Hopkins, 1888-89; David Butler, 1890; George W.
Cook, 1891-92; R. W. Savage, 1893-97.
Sardinice Village.- When Chauncey
Hastings opened his store in this village in 1821 there were only three or four houses in the place. Some years
later he opened a second store where his son, Seymour P. Hastings, was in business for a time. In 1847 the elder
Hastings built a store on the corner of the two principal streets, where Bigelow, Holmes & Nichols, Warren
W. Simons, Kingsley & Cook and George W. Cook carried on business. In that building Sidney D. Kingsley established
the post-office in 1870 and continued about fifteen years; his successors have been George W. Cook, Frank E. Long,
Robert Hopkins, Elmer Sirnons, Clark F. Crosby, Olney W. Andrews and Milton H. Pitcher. Horace Bailey built a store
in 1846, where he was in business until about 1863, and was succeeded by W. W. Simons, James Rider, Beebe &
Gordon and H. W. Lanckton. Chauncey Wetherlow established a grocery about 1860 and sold out to W. B. Andrews in
1867. A. J. Emerson opened a hardware store in 1878, and George H. Mills began the drug business in 1882, and was
succeeded by Charles C. Robley. Chauncey J. Hastings succeeded his father in the hotel, and the house has been
kept by various landlords since that time. Horace Clark built a saw mill in the village in early years, which had
various owners before 1870, when J. S. Simons took it and added a planing mill and a cheese box factory; the property
is now owned by George W. Strong. A carding mill was established about 1872 by S. D. Kingsley, which passed later
to E. J. Cornwell. In early years there was a tannery in operation, but it is now abandoned. The grist mill here,
which was built about 1835 by W. W. Cornwell, passed to Bolender Brothers, who were succeeded by Charles Long and
he by Judson D. Carney. The woolen factory before mentiooned is now idle. At one time there were seven or eight
stores in the village, and among the former merchants were H. W. Lanckton, James Rider, Julian S. Simons, H. C.
Davidson, Howard Freeman, A. J. Emerson, Edwin A. Marsh, Frank E. Long and Judson Andrews. Martis Bolender had
a grocery and O. P. Goodspeed a grocery and shoe shop. Andrew J. Adams was long a carriage maker, and Hiram Flint
has been in the same business.
The Sardinia Censor was started about 1890 with George A. Smith editor; he was succeeded by Thomas B. Crocker,
who continues the publication. For several years there were two district schools, one at the upper and one at the
lower end of the village. In 1882 the two were consolidated into Union School District No. 8 and a frame school
building erected. The school now has two departments and two teachers.
The village now has two general stores, 1 drug store, 1 hotel, 1 saw and planing mill, 1 hardware store, 1 grist
mill, 1 newspaper, a carding machine, 1 wagonmaker and several shops.
Chaffee.- This is a small village
and station on the railroad, which has grown up mainly since the road was opened. The post-office was established
in 1879 and in the same year E. M. Sherman opened a grocery and was appointed postmaster; a later merchant and
postmaster was H. A. Rifle. Other merchants were Emory Smith, Robert L. Williss and W. B. Clark, all of whose stores
were burned July 4, 1895. The hotel was built by Frederick Bigelow in 1880, and rebuilt in 1897 by D. H. Shaw.
The Commercial House was built by the proprietor, Gail Grey. A planing mill and cheese box factory was built and
is operated by R. W. Savage, and a saw mill and feed mill is run by Frank E. Eddy. The village has, besides, two
general stores, one hardware store, and the two hotels.
Prattham is a hamlet in the western
part of the town; the only business interests are a saw mill and a cheese box factory. Madison Corners is a rural
hamlet in the north part of the town and also contains a saw mill and a cheese box factory. Protection is a station
on the railroad and partly in the town of Holland, which see. What was formerly definitely distinguished as Colegrove's
Corners, is now substantially a part of Sardinia village and its business interests have been already mentioned.
Religious services were held on
Sardina territory immediately after the war of 1812, but a house of worship was not erected until 1825, after a
Baptist organization had been effected. The first settled pastor was Rev. Jonathan Blakely. This church is still
Methodist services were also held in Sardinia soon after the close of the war, but nO records are in existence.
A church was built in 1842, which is now used for a store. In 1882 the handsome edifice now in use by the society
was erected. The village of Chaffee has two churches, Baptist and Methodist, both of which erected houses of worship
A Roman Catholic church was organized and a house of worship built in 1869 at Prattham. It has had a prosperous