History of Duanesburgh, New York
GAZETTEER ans BUSINESS DIRECTORY
OF ALBANY and SCHENECTADY COUNTIS, N. Y. FOR 1870-71.
COMPILED and PUBLISHED BY HAMILTON CHILD, SYRACUSE, NY 1869
DUANESBUEGH, named in honor of James Duane, the principal proprietor, was erected
as a township by patent, March 13, 1765. It was first joined with Schoharie as "the united district of Duanesburgh
and Schorarie." It was made a separate district March 24, 1772, and was first recognized as a town March 22,
1788. It lies in the south-west corner of the County. The surface consists of an upland, broken by the narrow valleys
and gulleys of small streams. Schoharie Creek forms a portion of the west boundary, and Norman's Kil flows through
the south part. The hills which border upon these streams are steep and in some places rocky. The other principal
streams are Corry's Brook, Chuctenunda Creek and Bozen Kil. Maria Pond and Featherston Lake are two small sheets
of water in the north-east part, about 250 feet above the canal. The soil is a stiff clay loam with a slight intermixture
of gravel. It is better adapted to pasturage than to tillage. The Albany & Susquehanna Railroad extends through
the south part of the town.
The settlement of this town commenced about the time of its organization in 1765, though large tracts had previously
been purchased by different parties. Mr. James Duane purchased a tract of about 60,000 acres, and contracted with
twenty Germans from Pennsylvania, sixteen. of whom came on. and made permanent settlements. The lands were leased
for about fifteen dollars per hundred acres, on long leases. The agents of Sir William Johnson excited a prejudice
against these lands and somewhat retarded their settlement.