History of Glenville, New York
GAZETTEER ans BUSINESS DIRECTORY
OF ALBANY and SCHENECTADY COUNTIS, N. Y. FOR 1870-71.
COMPILED and PUBLISHED BY HAMILTON CHILD, SYRACUSE, NY 1869
GLENVILLE, named in. honor of S. L. Glen, the patentee of the township, was formed
from Schenectady, April 14, 1820. It lies on the north bank of the Mohawk, and is the only town in the County,
on that side. The central and west parts are occupied by rugged and wooded. hills, rising abruptly from the valley
of the river to a hight of 300 feet. The east part is nearly level. The principal streams are Crabbs Kil, Chaughta-noon-da,
Aalplaats and Jan Wemps Creeks, and Verl Kil. The soil among the hills is a stiff clay, underlaid by hardpan, with
an accasional outcrop of slate; and in the east part it is a sandy and gravelly loam. The Mohawk Flats are very
fertile and devoted to a great extent to raising broom corn. The N. Y. C. R. R. and the Schenectady and. Saratoga
R. R. extend through the town.
Settlements were commenced about 1665 and were among the earliest in the County. The country around Scotia was
granted to Sanders Lendertsen Glen, a native of Scotland, who removed to Holland. in 1645 on account of religious
persecutions. After several years spent in mercantile pursuits, he removed to this country. Van Slyck’s island.
granted to Jaques Van Slyck, in 1662. A party of Frenchmen sent against the Mohawks became reduced to such on arriving
at this place, as to seek assistance from the English. They were so kindly treated by Mr. Sanders at this time,
that when. the country was invaded in 1690, and Schenectady destroyed, Mr. Sanders’ house was spared. Several of
his descendants still reside in. the town.