History of Rotterdam, New York
GAZETTEER ans BUSINESS DIRECTORY
OF ALBANY and SCHENECTADY COUNTIS, N. Y. FOR 1870-71.
COMPILED and PUBLISHED BY HAMILTON CHILD, SYRACUSE, NY 1869
ROTTERDAM was formed from Schenectady, April 14, 1820. A part of the City was
annexed in 1853. It lies near the center of the County, upon the south bank of the Mohawk. The surface consists
of a broken, hilly region in the north-west, a level interval extending from the center towards the south, and
a high plain in. the east. The soil upon the west hills is a tough clay, underlaid by shale, which frequently crops
out. The central valley or plain, extending five miles, was called by the Dutch the “Bouwlandt.” The soil is a
deep alluvium. The east plateau is sandy and barren.
The Methodist Episcopal Uhurch of Rotterdarn was organized in 1846, by the Presiding Elder Lindsey, and consisted
of 60 members. Revs. S. Covel and W. R. Brown were the first pastors. A house of worship was erected about the
same time. The present house was erected in 1866 at a cost of about $4,000. Its seating capacity is about 400.
The present membership is 120; the present pastor is Rev. Demas Burroughs. James Fisher, Sen., purchased the site
for the church, of Daniel D. Campbell, in 1844, and presented it to the society. Mr. Fisher came from England in
1818, and is still living, in the 86th year of his age.