HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF SCHROON.
THE town of Schroon was formed from Crown Point on March 20th, 1804. The town
of Minerva was taken off on the 7th of March, 1817, and a part re-annexed to Crown Point February 26th, 1840. It
lies near the center of the south border of the county and is bounded north by the town of North Hudson; east by
Crown Point and Ticonderoga; south by Warren county and the town of Minerva, and west by Minerva. The surface of
the town is exceedingly diversified and picturesque. In the southeast part it is mountainous, portions of the Kayaderosseras
range extending into that section, and the west and northwest portions are occupied by the Schroon range. Between
these elevated regions and extending across the town nearly in its center is a beautiful and fertile valley, through
which flows the waters of the Schroon river, which, near the center of the town, broadens out into the lovely Schroon
lake, which reaches across the southern line of the town. Of the mountain peaks in the town Mount Pharaoh is the
highest; it is located in the southeast part and is about 3,000 feet above tide. There are many other lesser peaks
which have only local names or none at all. The principal stream is the Schroon river, which forms a portion of
the upper waters of the noble Hudson. There are numerous creeks of clear water that rise in the elevated part of
the town and flow into the many picturesque lakes and ponds which are scattered throughout the town. The largest
of these are Paradox lake,' in the northeastern part, the waters of which empty into the Schroon; Pharaoh lake
in the southeast part at the foot of Mount Pharaoh, the waters flowing by way of a small brook into Schroon lake;
Crane pond, Crab pond, Goose pond, Whortieberry pond, Spectacle pond, Pyramid lake, Thurman pond, Rogers pond,
and others of minor importance. These natural features render the locality a favorite resort of sportsmen, and
within a few years past the beauties of Schroon lake and vicinity have led to the erection of many first-class
hotels, where pleasure-seekers and others in quest of recuperation of health, find summer homes offering unsurpassed
The soil of the town is in the valleys of a rich alluvial character, and in the elevated parts a thin sandy loam.
Nearly one-half of the town is capable of cultivation, though perhaps not more than one-third can be successfully
and profitably worked. Iron ore is found in various parts but not in sufficient purity and abundance to make its
working profitable; black lead or graphite is also found. This town was settled about the year 1797, at which period
Samuel Scribner, Moses Pettee, Thomas Leland, Simeon Rawson, Benjamin Bowker and other pioneers came in and began
the work of making for themselves and posterity homes in the wilderness.
Simeon Rawson located previous to the year 1800 about a mile above Schroon Lake village, on the place now occupied
by Seneca Rawson. He came from Shrewsbury, Vt. He established soon after his arrival a small tannery, the first,
and, for many years, the only one in the town. This he carried on in connection with his other labor until about
1818, when he removed to thesite of the village at the lake and located his tannery there. His sons were Clark,
Simeon, Safford and Josiah. Ashley P. Rawson, of Schroon Lake, is a grandson.
The valley lands in this town were opened to settlement at an early day, one of the incentives to which was the
construction of what has become known as the old State road, to which we have often alluded, and which ran from
Sandy Hill northward to the Canada line, passing along the Schroon valley. Another early highway that benefited
the town was that constructed between 1840 and 1845, running from Lake Champlain to Carthage in Jefferson county,
and passing through Schroon.
Other settlers came in almost simultaneously with Mr. Rawson. Samuel Scribner located about two miles north of
the site of Schroon Lake village, and Moses Pettee in the same vicinity, on the State road, on the farm now occupied
by Edward Lockwood.
Joseph Wyman settled near the falls of the Schroon early in the century; his brother John also located here and
they had a distillery there in early days. A son of Joseph Wyman now lives in Crown Point.
Benajmin Bowker, one of the earliest settlers, located on the State road, first on the site of the present Pickhardt
place and then removed to about three miles north of the site of Schroon Lake village. He had one son who lived
and died near the old Baptist church; his name was also Benjamin. Two other sons, Charles and John, came into the
town, but subsequently removed to Shoreham. There were three or four daughters in the family.
Elijah Garfield settled on the east side of the river, about two miles from the lake; he was one of the first settlers
and had two sons, Selucius and Leman, who lived and died in the town. The former has two sons living in the town.
Jackson Garfield, who lives on or near the old homestead, is a grandson.-
George Moor was among the earliest settlers and located on the Schroon flats, near the river. Elijah M. Rounds
now occupies that farm.
George Whitney settled early about five miles south of the site of Schroon Lake village, on the lake shore. Two
of his sons, George and Ira, now live in the village.
Cornelius Travers settled on the site of South Schroon. He came from Duchess county and died on his homestead,
leaving descendants in the town.
Jeremiah Lockwood, who was born March 21st, 1764, settled on the site of the old Lockwood tavern about 1810, coming
from Lanesboro, Mass. He built his first house in 1811, and the next one in 1827, where he opened a tavern which
was for many years and down to about the breaking out of the late war, a popular house. The place is now occupied
by Wiliam Fullen. His Sons were Leander J. Clark, Abel D. and Jeremiah, jr. Linus C. Lockwood, now living north
of Schroon Lake village is a son of Clark.
Elihu Griswold, familiarly known to old residents as "Deacon" Griswold, settled early in the century
at what has been called Alder Meadow. He was a man of intelligence and married the widow of Mr. Grosvenor who was
drowned in Paradox lake in a bay which has since borne his name. One of his daughters married Hiram H. Smith, a
prominent man in the community, who lives on the homestead. John Wiswell was also an early settler in this neighborhood.
Thomas Leland was one of the prominent early settlers and located where George Whitney now lives; he engaged in
farming and lumbering. He had two sons, one of whom died young; the other is J. M. Leland, now keeping a drug store
in Schroon Lake village.
Wolcott Tyrrell came into the town soon after the beginning of the century with his father, Benajah Tyrrell, and
located about two miles south of the site of Schroon Lake village, where Charles Bowker now lives. He had three
sons, who reside in the town, was a prominent citizen and held the office of first judge for a number of years.
Among other very early settlers were: Benjamin Barnes, who located near South Schroon, where his grandson, Benjamin
O., now lives. James Tubbs settled on Paradox lake and his brother Enoch near by. Jabez Smith located in the southwest
part, and Ebenezer Bailey, a Revolutionary soldier and pensioner, at South Schroon. William Armistead settled at
the foot of the lake and raised a large family; they all removed to Ohio. Starr Platt came into the town in 1814,
and located where Mrs. Erastus Root now lives, north of Schroon Lake village. He had four children, a daughter
becoming the wife of Erastus Root and now occupying the homestead. His father was Jabez Platt who came in from
Lanesboro, Mass. Adjoining the farm of Starr Platt lived Daniel Platt.
We cannot trace the record of early settlers farther, except as they may appear in describing the industries of
the town. Those already named comprised most of the prominent pioneers who came here when the country was an unbroken
wilderness and amid untold hardships and arduous toils, laid the foundations of their future prosperous homes and
an intelligent community. As the setflements increased additional roads were laid out,mills were built on the numerous
streams wherever there was water power, schools were established and religious meetings and societies organized.
The first school was taught soon after settlement began by Clark Rawson, son of Simeon Rawson, about one and a
half miles north of the present Schroon Lake village. This was a primitive educational institution, but it paved
the way for the numerous neat school-houses that now give excellent privileges to the young of the town.
A saw-mill was built at an early day at the foot of Paradox lake by Joseph Richards, and a grist-mill not long
afterward by David Stowell. The saw-mill subsequently passed into the hands of Charles Harris and Joseph Weed,
the latter of Ticonderoga, and one of the heaviest lumbermen in the county. Both of these mills are long since
gone down. Most of the town was originally covered with a heavy forest growth, and in common with the early settlers
of all this region, the inhabitants turned their attention largely to lumbering as the readiest means of both clearing
up their lands and securing a prompt return for their labor before agriculture could be extensively followed. The
lumber interest in this town began to be considerably developed as early as 1820 and soon assumed paramount importance.
Logs were cut in great numbers and driven down the river through the lake and thus to Glens Falls and Sandy Hill,
for manufacture into lumber. Many mills, as we have said, were also built on the various streams of the town and
large quantities of lumber were sawed and transported to market; but these mills soon declined in importance through
the wholesale driving of logs, which robbed them of business, and nearly all of them have been long abandoned.
There were mills at Alder Meadow, Crane pond, Paradox lake, Long pond. A steam mill is now running at South Schroon
and at Schroon Lake. The lumber interest reached its height from about 1830 to 1845. At the present time by far
the larger share of the valuable timber of the town is cut off although many logs have been run down the river
in recent years, from the forests farther to the north and west.
Attempts have been made to work the iron ores that are 'found to some extent in the town and more abundantly in
the adjoining town of Crown Point. A forge was built before 1830 at the Schroon falls, by Horace Hall. This was
worked on ore brought from the Paradox district and the product transported to market via Crown Point. Of the Scholield
ore bed, which was opened by Mr. Hall in 1828, we find the following description in Watson's History of Essex County:
"Bar iron was at that time made in the Schroon forge from the ore of this mine, which was worked by various
proprietors until 1845, when operations were suspended. An average of two hundred tons of iron was made during
the above period, which established and maintained the highest character in the market. . . . The ore yields fifty
per cent. of iron of the first class. The vein is only from three to four feet in thickness and has been worked
about two hundred and fifty feet in length and from twenty to sixty feet in depth." This bed was worked as
late as 1870 by John Roth and the ore used in his forges in Schroon with success.
The Skiff bed lies about two miles from Paradox lake and was opened by A. P. Skiff in the year 1857. It subsequently
passed to the possession of Mr. Roth. The general character of the ore is similar to that of the Schofield bed,
but the vein is small and was never worked with very much profit, although many thousand dollars were expended
in developing it in the belief that the vein would widen out.
What was known as the "head of Paradox forge" was built in 1864 and owned by John Roth. It first contained
two fires but a third was introduced. The charcoal for its operation was burned in pits at the forge and the ore
was taken from the vein last above described, producing an excellent quality of iron, but at such cost including
transportation, that it soon became unprofitable as prices declined.
The manufacture of leather in large tanneries has received considerable attention in the town and for several years
was a predominant industry in Schroon, Minerva, and North Hudson. The vast hemlock forests furnished unlimited
quantities of bark and compensated thus for the transportation of hides and leather to and from the tanneries.
Schroon Lake tannery was erected in 1852 by Lorenzo Hall and subsequently became the property of Milton Sawyer,
of Glens Falls. It was situated on a small brook about a mile west of Schroon lake. Its capacity was sixteen thousand
sides a year. It is not now in operation. The Schroon tannery was erected in 1861 at the mouth of the brook just
mentioned, by William C. Potter and Daniel Wyman. It passed through various hands before it was closed. Wickham
tannery was built at the mouth of the same stream and was operated by Benjamin Wickham chiefly for the manufacture
of upper leather. Hoffman tannery, six miles west of Mr. Sawyer's Schroon Lake tannery, was built in 1856 by Bracket
& Boyle and passed into possession of Mr. Sawyer. 'There have been other tanning operations in the town and
vicinity, which, perhaps, need not be detailed; the industry is declining, with the others that have depended upon
the forests for their prosperity, while the inhabitants are turning more of their attention and energy from year
to year to agriculture.
No event of great importance has disturbed the peace and general prosperity of the town, other than the great
civil strife of 1860, the deplorable consequences of which reached every hamlet in the country. This town was called
upon to contribute her men and means to the support of the government in the day of strife and nobly responded,
as the reader has already learned from the chapter devoted to the military record of the county.
The population of the town is now slowly increasing and with the near approach of railroads, the large annual influx
of summer tourists and the sure beneficence of extended and more successful farming, its future growth is assured.
The "warning" for the first town meeting for the division of the town, i. e., setting it off from Crown
Point, designated the house of Israel Johnson as the place for the gathering to be held and the first Tuesday in
April, 1804, as the date. The object of the meeting as expressed in the records was "to see if the inhabitants
wishes to be divided into two towns, and do any other business thought necessary." The call was signed by
Benjamin Pond, justice, Elijah Garfield, Daniel Cushman, Augustus Cleaveland, Samuel Scribner, and Simeon Rawson.
Among the names which appear prominent in the public records of those days (some of them, doubtless, belonging
in what is now Minerva as that was then a part of Schroon) are Israel Johnson, Wolcott Tyrrell, Mijah Smith, Joseph
Dunn, Benjamin Pond, William Hill, Deodorus Holcomb, and others. Elijah Garfield was the first town clerk and the
neatness and precision of the town record testifies to his intelligence and expertness.
At the first town meeting it was voted, among other matters, that "any sheep ram found on the commons from
the tenth of November to the first of December, shall be forfeit to the taker up of s'd ram."
At the meeting in 1809 it was voted "that the poor money be hired out for the benefit of purchasing a Merino
ram." This indicates an early interest in blooded stock.
It was also voted early in the history of the town "that it shall be counted an honorable act for any Man
to complain of any Man that makes havoc of the Deer contrary to law in this town." Eight dollars were voted
as a bounty for killing wolves. The first two town meetings were held at the house of Israel Johnson and the next
one at Thomas Leland's. In the old records the town is set down as "Scaroon." Among other names that
seem to bear some prominence in the early records are those of Edmund Jincks, James Swinnerton, Nathan West, Samuel
Norton, Jed. Halliday, Abial and Aibro Tripp, John Baker, and others. In 1813 the town comprised seven school districts.
By the year 1820, after the separation of Minerva from it, we find the following names among those holding office
and otherwise appearing prominent in the records: Elisha Baker, David Stowell, Wolcott Tyrrell, Benjamin Barnes,
James Tubbs, Jabez Smith, Wm. B. Everest, Ebenezer Bailey, Samuel Whittemore, Wm. Armistead, etc. (We have followed
the spelling of these names as it appears in the records.)
The first officers elected in the town were as follows:
Supervisor, Benjamin Pond; town clerk, Elijah Garfield; assessors, Albro Tripp, John Toms and Nathan B. Johnson;
collectors, Diadorus Holcomb and George Moore; commissioners of highways, Elijah Barnes, Thomas Leland and Joseph
Dunn; overseer of the poor, George Moore and James Houghton; constables, Diadorus Holcomb, John Potter, Augustus
Cleveland and Elisha Baker; fence viewers, Randall Farr, Israel Johnson, James Swinnerton and Cornelius Traver.
Following is a list of the supervisors of the town from the date of its formation to the present time, with their
terms of service: 1804, Benjamin Pond; 1805 to 1808 inclusive, Joseph Dunn; 1809, Salmasius Bordwell; 1810, Mijah
Smith; 1811, Israel Johnson; 1812 to 1818 inclusive, Wolcott Tyrrell; 1819, John Baker, jr.; 1820, Wolcott Tyrrell;
1821 and 1822, Elihu Phelps; 1823 to 1825 inclusive, John Baker, jr.; 1826, Clark Rawson; 1827 to 1832 inclusive,
Wolcott Tyrrell; 1833 to 1836 inclusive, Hiram Wilson; 1837, Clark Rawson; 1838 to 1840 inclusive, Abijah Smith,
jr.; 1841, Clark Rawson; 1842, Abijah Smith, Jr.; 1843 to 1845 inclusive, Clark Rawson; 1846 and 1847, Daniel Pratt;
1848 and 1849, Erastus B. Potter; 1850, Andrew L. Ireland; 1851 and 1852, William J. Hayward; 1853, Barton Baker;
1854 and 1855, Daniel Pratt; 1856 and 1857, Ryla Tyrrell; 1858 to 1860 inclusive, Joel F. Potter; 1861 William
J. Hayward; 1862, Cyrus L. Blanchard; 1863, J. M. Leland; 1864, Joel F. Potter; 1865 and 1866, James M. Leland;
1867 to 1869 inclusive, Benjamin F. Wickham; 1870 and 1871, Benijah Tyrrell; 1872 to 1874 inclusive, Freeman N.
Tyrrell; 1875, Paris S. Russell; 1876 and 1877, William J. Leland; 1878, W. G. Leland; 1879, Myron C. Pitkins;
1880, William G. Leland; 1881 and 1882, Benjamin F. Wickham; 1883 and 1884, Darwin L. Weeks; 1885, Myron C. Pitkins.
Following are the present officers of the town: Supervisor, M. C. Pitkins town clerk, William H. Barnett; assessor,
John F. Young; overseer of the poor, Benjamin 0. Barnes; commissioner of highways, C. M. Warren; collector, J.
D. Burwell; justices, W. E. Rooney, A. S. Nichols, James 0. Whitney, S. Reynolds; constables, Darius C. Burzee,
Elijah Smith, Darius Hill, L. J. Garfield, C. C. Swain; inspectors of election, Charles H. Knox, L. D. Young; commissioner
of excise, H. H. Smith; game constable, Alexander Bostwick; auditor, Orrin Harris.
Churches. - It is quite common
to find that the Methodist Episcopal Society secures organization and a religious foothold in new communities in
advance of other sects. Such was the case in this town. The Cambridge Circuit, as it is called, was formed early
in the century and included parts of the present town of Schroon. Daniel Bromlev was the first preacher. He was
succeeded by a Mr. Bull, Lewis Pease and George W. Densmore. Meetings were then held either in private houses or
the little school-houses. In 1809 the circuit was divided, and Schroon included in the Warren Circuit. Revs. Lansford
Whiting, Mr. Pierce, Tobias Spicer, Elijah Hibbard, Daniel J. Wright and Sherman Miner were the preachers here
until 1818 Daniel Brayton then came and with others filled the time to 1825. Then followed Joseph Eames and Jacob
Beeman, 1826-27; Nathan Rice, 1827-28; Merritt Bates, 1828-29; Seymour Colman, 1829-30, and re-appointed; Joseph
McCreery, 183 1-32, and re-appointed; Reuben Wescott, 1833-34; William Richards, 1835-36, and re-appointed; in
1837 the circuit was permanently divided and the Schroon Circuit formed. From 1837 to 1841 Benjamin Pomeroy was
the pastor; Ezra Sayre, 1841-42; Jedediah Burnham, 1843-44, and re-appointed; Joseph Conor, 1845-46; Chester Lyon,
1847-48; Samuel Hughes, 1849-50; Gideon Townsend, 1851-52; D. E. Noble, 1853; Daniel Rose, 1854-55 Caleb Stevens,
1856-57; in the last mentioned year Schroon was made to constitute the circuit, and J. B. Searle was the pastor
for 1858-59; J. F. Crowl, 1860-61 ; D. W. Gould, 1861-62; A. Robbins, 1863-64; W. W. Foster, 1865-66; G. S. Gold,
1867-68; Alfred Eaton, 1869-70.
The first class was formed at South Schroon in 1811, and others soon followed at Paradox and "Charley Hill."
In December, 1834, the society at Schroon Lake was incorporated as "The First M. E. Church of Schroon,"
at the Baker street school-house. The first trustees were B. S. Warren, Thomas Leland and B. R. Seaman. The first
church was at once erected near the present burying-ground and occupied until 1853, when it was taken down and
removed to the village at a cost of $1,435. In 1867 it was refitted and furnished at a cost of $550. In 1841 an
acre of land adjoining the church was purchased at a cost of $6o for a parsonage, which was built during the same
year. From the year 1870 to the present time the pastors have been as follows: 1871, J. S. Mott, to 1873; 1874,
E. Potter; 1875-76, R. Patterson; 1877, William H. Groat; 1878, Mr. Spencer; 1879, M. Adsit; 1880-81, C. J. Mott;
1882-83, A. V. Marshall; 1884, G. H. Van Dusen; 1885, H. M. Munsee. The present church officers are - Trustees,
J. M. Leland, H. J. Culver, D. Hill, H. H. Smith. Stewards - James M. Leland, recording steward; Hoel Richards.
Class leaders - J. M. Leland, Elijah Rounds, E. Warren. The church includes classes at Paradox, South Schroon,
Charley Hill and Hoffmann's. At these places services are held in school-houses.
Episcopal Church. - The Episcopal
Church of Schroon Lake was organized November 12th, 1878, the first members being Bayard Clarke, Jacob Bohrmanri,
Freeman Tyrrell, John Taylor, Joseph Bogle, Joel F. Potter, Benjamin Tripp, Jarvis Abey, Mr. Benjamin, John Lapierre,
Nathaniel Jenks, Bayard Clarke, jr. The first pastor was Aubrey F. Todrig. He was succeeded by Dr. Williams, W.
A. H. Maybin, and the present pastor, Rev. Henry A. Freeman. The church edifice was erected in 1878 at a cost of
$6oo. It was afterwards enlarged, a tower, chancel and vestry added and a bell put in; also refurnished. The present
value of the church property is about $1,500. A Sunday-school was organized in 1878, of which B. Squires and John
Taylor have been superintendents. The first wardens were Bayard Clarke and Effingham H. Nichols. The latter holds
the office at the present time. The vestrymen are John Taylor, Benjamin Tripp, Jacob Bohrmann, Bayard Clarke, jr.,
Augustus Bogle and Orren Taylor.
Congregational Church. -The first
Congregational Church of Schroon Lake, was organized in 1829, with the following persons as members: Abijah Smith,
Jedediah Rice, Solomon Stebbins, Caroline Rawson, Lois Dresser, Lois Rice, Stebbins, Margaret Crocker, Mary Boyd,
Abigail Wyman, Minerva Smith, Alvira Stebbins, Lavina Glynn. The first pastor was Rev. Reuben Willoughby. The church
edifice was erected about the year 1846, at a cost with land of about $3,000. A Sunday-school was organized, of
which Marcus Knapp is the present superintendent. The first deacon was J. Rice, and he has been succeeded by the
following: Charles Churchill, 1830; Abijah Smith, 1833; Asa Foster, 1833; ; Marcus Knapp, 1871; Joseph E. Sawyer,
1876; George M. Sawyer, 1877. The following have served the church as pastors: Rev. Reuben Willoughby, one-third
of the time in 1830; Rev. Thomas Haswell, ten months in 1840; Rev. Frederic Graves, one-half the time for one year,
1841; Rev. Sorel Wood, in 1845; Rev. -Taylor, two-thirds of the time for a few months in 1849; Rev. David Connell,
1857-1862; Rev. M. Davis, a few months about 1865; Rev. D. H. Gould, 1871-1873; Rev. D. M. Seward, D.D., summers
of 1873 and 1874; Rev. D. T. Williams, a short time in 1876; Rev. N. H. Bell, six months, 1877; Rev. George L.
Dickinson, commenced labor with the church, March, 1878; 1878-1885, supplied only in summer by various ministers.
The church is supplied during the summer of 1885 by the Rev. J. E. McConnell. The present trustees are Dwight CPasco
and Lansford Whitney. Deacons, Marcus Knapp, George W. Sawyer and John H. Pitkin.
Catholic. - The Catholic Church of this place was built in 1883, and a society of considerable strength is maintained.
Father Blanchard was the first pastor in charge, and the church is now served by Father Le Grand, of Minerva.
Baptist. - The old Baptist Church, about two miles north of the village, was built in the year 1836 by the then
existing society; this was the first church society organized in the town, its date being 1830. Charles Harris,
one of the prominent lumbermen of that period, was largely instrumental in the erection of this church. The society
was dissolved many years ago, and the church is only used for occasional funerals.
We have already alluded to the settlement of Simeon Rawson about a mile north
of the site of Schroon Lake village, where he established a tannery, kept a tavern, etc., in early days. Here also
was established the first post-office early in the century, and Mr. Rawson was the first postmaster. When he removed
to the lake in 1818, the office went with him and he was succeeded by Safford Rawson in the position of postmaster;
the latter was in the office in 1830 and it continued in the family until 1840. The next official was Gay W. Lee,
who kept it in part of his store. Craig Beebe succeeded him and he was followed for a short period by Abram Van
Benthuysen. In the spring of 1853 Ashley P. Rawson took the office for eight years (1861), when he was succeeded
by Carlos Bailey, and he by William C. Potter. Since then Theodore Kinyon, John Taylor, Joel F. Potter and the
present incumbent, John D. Burwell, have conducted the office.
Abijah Smith, who has been mentioned as an early settler a little north of the present village, sold goods in a
part of his house and also kept an inn. This was about the first mercantile business in the town. Horace Hall,
who has been spoken of as the builder of a forge, also kept a store there while he continued to operate the forge;
this property was afterwards transferred to Charles Harris. These stores were the principal ones in town for a
number of years. Later Ansel Chipman established a little trade at the foot of Paradox lake and kept it a number
of years. He sold to William Stowell and the business was abandoned by him. The building was transformed into Potter's
Hotel now kept at that place.
The first store established at Schroon Lake village was run by Gay Washington Lee, who came here from Bridport,
Vt. His place of business was in the old Wickham House, which was originally built by a man named Crocker, whose
daughter was Lee's wife. Lee sold out his goods to Charles Harris who removed the stock to Schroon Falls. The next
merchant was James Fowler, who traded in what is now Taylor's shoe shop. J. M. Leland kept a general store in the
Wickham House more than forty years ago and after one year removed into the building where Taylor's shoe shop is.
He then built on the lot adjoining Mr. Barnett's present store and remained there many years. Josiah Rawson kept
an early store on the site of the Ondawa House. A store was established on the union plan where J. H. Pitkin &
Brother are now located many years ago, in which enterprise Hannibal Holden was conspicuous. William C. Potter
was secured to conduct the store. After this enterprise had its day, the store was occupied in turn by Whitney
& Bogle, Whitney & Mead, Philo Pitkin, Pitkin & Clute (M. C. Pitkin and W. Clute), M. C. Pitkin &
Co., and the present enterprising and successful firm, J. H. Pitkin & Brother. Pitkin & Taylor began business
in a general store in March, 1864 (Lewis Pitkin and Robert Taylor). They succeeded Philo Pitkin and he Clute &
Smith, who built the store. William H. Barnett keeps a hardware store, the only one in the place. He erected his
own building and began trade in 1881. In the jeweler's trade D. C. Bailey began in 1855 on the site of the burned
store. He occupied his present location in 1883. G. W. Taylor carries on harness-making, having begun in 1883.
The grist-mill here is operated by H. B. Drake and the steam saw-mill by W. S. Fowler. A furniture store is kept
by Myron C. Pitkin, and James M. Leland dispenses the drugs that are needed by the inhabitants. J. Bohrmann has
a furniture manufactory and store a little out of the village.
Schroon Lake boasts several first-class hotels, the many guests of which make the summer season one of activity
and profit. Josiah Rawson built the old Schroon Lake House many years ago on the site of the Ondawa House; it was
the first tavern of any consequence in the place. Hiram Blanchard afterwards bought the property and he sold to
Paris Russell, a man who did much during his comparatively short life, to advance the interests of the town. Mr.
Russell had a partner in John Conley, the latter conducting the house a short time, when they erected the present
commodious house. It was sold to John D. Burwell, who has now kept it about fifteen years. The Leland House, one
of the largest and most attractive houses in this section, was built in 1 872 by William G. Leland, son of James
M. Leland. It accommodates about two hundred and twenty-five guests and was successfully conducted by the builder
until 1884. It is now kept by Lorenzo Locke to the satisfaction of its large patronage. The Lake House was built
in 1874 by Elisha Wickham, and was first called the Wickham House. Harry T. Abey bought the property in 1876 and
has kept it since, making it a popular resort. It accommodates about one hundred guests and is pleasantly situated.
The Windsor House is the outgrowth of a building that was formerly kept for the accommodation of guests by C. F.
Taylor. He enlarged the house, and kept it for a number of years. William McKenzie and L. Y. Jenness kept it for
about two years each and the present proprietor, E. E. Hunter, took charge of it in 1884. Guests for these houses
are brought up the lake, if coming from the south, in the steamer Effingham, which was built for Mr. Russell about
six years ago.
Other business interests in this vicinity are the blacksmith and carriageshop of L. C. Lockwood & Son, situated
at the old Lockwood place before described, where the pioneer, Jeremiah Lockwood, also had one of the first wagon-shops
in the town, L. C. Lockwood made the first steel spring wagon in the town, which was considered quite a curiosity.
He also ran a clothing-mill at the site of the Platt homestead many years ago. H. C. Holden, son of Hannibal Holden,
has a feed store north of the village, where he had a wagon-shop for a number of years. Elijah Holden does blacksmithing.
Physicians. - In early years people
were sick and needed the beneficent care of the physician the same as in modern days; and the country doctor of
pioneer times found a different task before him from that which employs his more fortunate successors. His ride
was often over two or three large towns where roads were bad, even if there were any at all; his patients were
many of them poor and his arduous labor often unrewarded. Dr. Hale practiced in this town when the country was
new and lived near the old Baptist Church. He was drowned in Paradox lake. Dr. Harvey Page came here next and practiced
for many years. Dr. Tubbs practiced here for a time and went to. Chestertown. Dr. Fritchard settled below the village,
and Dr. Hiram Potter, who came from Clarendon, Vt., as a school teacher, though an educated physician, practiced
for many years and is remembered as one of nature's noblemen. The present physicians of the place are Dr. E. S.
Bullis, who studied in the University of Vermont and graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Iowa.
He came to Schroon in 1885. Dr. D. Palmer studied at Dartmouth and graduated from the university at Burlington,
Vt. He came to Schroon in 1869, but was away from 1874 to 1881.
The present school building of this village was erected in 1866. It consists of three apartments, two school-rooms
and a large hail above for school uses. There are two departments in the school.
Masonic. - The Schroon Lake Lodge
of Free and Accepted Masons was instituted September 6th, 1815. A brief sketch of the lodge will be found in chapter
South Schroon. - This is a post-office
and hamlet on the shore of the lake about four miles south of Schroon Lake village. James L. Huntley is postmaster
and keeps a store in connection. He succeeded Jackson Taylor. There is no other business here.
There are two other post-offices in the town. Paradox, situated at the head of Paradox lake, was established about
five years ago; Orrin Harris is postmaster. Loch Muller is in the west part of the town, and was established but
a few years ago. Laben Burbank is postmaster.