History of the Village of Arkport, Steuben County, NY
From: Landmarks of Steuben County, New York
Edited by: Hon. Harlo Hakes
Assisted By: L. C. Aldrich and Others
D. Mason & Company, Publishers,
Syracuse, New York, 1896

THE VILLAGE OF ARKPORT. - This pretty and busy little hamlet of about 400 population is located in the extreme northern part of the town of Hornellsville, in the vicinity where Chistopher Hurlbut made his first settlement, and from which point the famous ark was sent down the Canisteo in 1800, laden with grain. Judge Hurlbut was the founder of the place, the builder of the first mill and hotel, and also proprietor of the ark. Although this village has never attained either population or business interests sufficient to justify incorporation, it is nevertheless a place of some importance in the county, and as a shipping point for agricultural products it is quite noted. It is a station on the Buffalo division of the Erie, and also on the Central New York and Western Railroad. Since the construction of the road last mentioned the business interests have materially increased.

Arkport has two churches, Presbyterian and Methodist Protestant, and an excellent school. In 1894 the village, with some adjacent territory, was formed into a Union Free School district, superseding the old system formerly in operation. The members of the Board of Education are L. C. Healy, president, and N. O. Wheeler, Hiram Ellis, A. A. Sewell, Henry Colgrove, and Charles Lawrence. The school building is of brick and frame, substantially built, and is regarded as one of the best rural schools of the county. Three teachers are employed.

The industries of Arkport comprise the large planing mill, the feed and grist mill, the Stephens wagon factory. The business men are Taylor Brothers, general store; Daniel Curry, store; M. Weber, gun store; Willis Ellis, grocer; Hiram Ellis, hardware; Healy & Davenport, produce dealers and feed mill; Colgrove & Son, produce dealers; William M. Hurlbut, lumber dealer; A. M. Eiband, large planing mill; Stephens wagon factory; James F. Deeters, harness shop; Ira Hagadorn, wagon shop; Marshall Emery, jeweler; H. L. Gillette, druggist; Calvin Hawkins, proprietor of Hawkins House, and J. D. Taylor, postmaster.

Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates

All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy