History of the Village of Atlanta, Steuben County, NY
From: Landmarks of Steuben County, New York
Edited by: Hon. Harlo Hakes
Assisted By: L. C. Aldrich and Others
D. Mason & Company, Publishers,
Syracuse, New York, 1896

ATLANTA. - Thirty five years ago a writer of local history said: "Blood's, a hamlet, is a station on the railroad, one mile from North Cohocton. It is named from Calvin Blood. This is rendered an important station on the railroad from its connection with.the Canandaigua Lake route. A daily line of stages runs to Naples, at the head of the lake, and a steamer plies daily between the latter place and Canandaigua." A still later writer describes Blood's Station as a thriving little hamlet on the railway and point of departure for the stage route to Naples and Canandaigua; and further says a postoffice was established at Blood's, April 21, 1871, through the instrumentality of Asa Adams, who was the first postmaster. From this we may correctly infer that the residents of this locality were compelled to repair to the north hamlet for their mail previous to 1871, when the postoffice was located at Blood's. However, long before this the hamlet was one of the recognized centers of the town, and one of importance in various directions. But from these elements there has grown a thriving village, and in the course of time, in fact at a quite recent date, the old name of "Blood's" or "Blood's Station," was discontinued and in its stead the more euphonious designation of "Atlanta" was adopted.

The railroad, and the diverging stage route to Naples, gave Atlanta an importance forty years ago, and from that time to the present there has been no retrograde movement, and today the hamlet stands prominent among the several villages of the town. However, a disaster came to local interests during the month of September, 1895, and by it several large buildings were burned to the ground. The principal sufferers from this fire were John Dunn, H. W. Hatch, L. D. Hodgman, L. R. Partridge, Henry Clark, and T. J. Cornish.

The business interests of Atlanta at the present time are represented substantially as follows: D. C. Borden, T. J. Cornish, and J. C. Whitmore, grocers; J. Radish, drugs; W. E. Waite, hardware; Wheaton & Wells, meat market; G. Kesler and Frank Davy, blacksmiths; John Spencer and Byron Hayes, feed mills; F. Parks, clothing; John Langdon and John Dunn, hotel keepers.

The Free Methodist church of the town is located in this village, and in the matter of schools there is an association with North Cohocton in a union free school and district. The school house is located between the villages, convenient to both.


Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates


All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy