The Presbyterian church at Arkport was organized in 1852, although services of this denomination had been held
in the locality for many years previous. About the time of organization and building the church edifice this society
was very strong in the south part of the town, and although the church has ever continued to work, during recent
years there has been a noticeable decline in interest and membership, the number now being about 110. The Sunday
school is large, having 170 pupils under the superintendency of John Hurlbut. The present pastor, Rev. Erwin C.
Hull, came to this church in April, 1885. The trustee are William S. Hurlbut, Lot Reznor, Norman O. Wheeler, Seth
M. Huntly, Henry Sharp, Michael Webber, James P. Wolever, Henry Coigrove, Wright Newsom.
The Methodist Protestant Church at Arkport was organized in July, 1884, and was the outgrowth of a class formed
many years ago on Pennsylvania Hill. In the same year also, the neat church edifice was built, at a cost of about
$2,500. Rev. F. A. Snow was their pastor, and was followed by W. T. Edds and O. P. Wildey, the latter now officiating.
The membership is about 100, and the trustees are G. C. Sylvester, Arthur Hathaway, M. A. Emery, Harrison Osborne,
and Ira McMichael.
The First Presbyterian church of Hornellsville was organized July 10, 1832. (See history of city of Hornellsville.)
The First Methodist Episcopal church (Park church) of Hornellsville was organized in 1830. (See history of city
St. Ann's Roman Catholic church of Hornellsville was organized in 1843. (See city history.)
The First Baptist church of Hornellsville was organized in 1852. (See city history.)
Christ's church, Episcopal, of Hornellsville was organized March 6, 1854. (See city history.)
The East Avenue M. E. church, Hornellsville, was organized in 1885. (See city history.)
The South Side M. E. church, Hornellsville, was organized 1895. (See city history.)
The Evangelical Lutheran St. Paul's church, Hornellsville, was organized in 1860. (See city history.)
The Hartshorn Presbyterian church, Hornellsville, was organized in 1890. (See city history.)
The South Side Baptist church, Hornellsville, was organized September r8, 1893. (See city history.)
The Jasper Baptist church was organized on the 9th of February, 1817, its original members being Nathaniel and
Rebecca Seelye, Bedford, William and John George, Charles and Phebe Card, and Lurena Harrington. Fourteen were
added to the church in June, 1817. This organization was effected in Troupsburg, which then included this locality
in part, and the society was first known as Troupsburg Baptist church, but later changed to Jasper Baptist church.
The first church house was begun in 1834, and finished in 1841. The church at present is included in the Canisteo
River Association, and is small, having but forty two members. The church property is valued at $1,500. The pastor
is Rev. A. W. Mettlar
The First Presbyterian church of Jasper was organized October 29, 1829, with twenty five members, although as early
as 1825 Enoch Ordway formed a Presbyterian Sunday school, and in 1828 a society was organized to form Sunday schools
throughout the town. The church was annexed to the Presbytery of Bath and afterward of Chemung, but was restored
to the Bath Presbytery in 1847. As the first regularly incorporated religious society in the town, this church
received the "gospel lot" from the Pulteney Association. The first house of worship was built in 1844,
but was burned in 1846. The second building, located in the Hampshire settlement, was erected and dedicated in
1847, but was abandoned in 1872, on the completion of the large and attractive, edifice at Jasper village. This
church now numbers 108 members, and is under the pastoral charge of Rev. Charles McCarthy.
The First Methodist Episcopal church of Jasper was the outgrowth of early class meetings held by Mrs. S. A. Grinolds
and Mrs. Smith, beginning about 1818, and soon afterward a church organization was effected, although a house of
worship was not built until about 1834 or 1835. The present edifice at Jasper village is an attractive and comfortable
building, and, with the parsonage, is valued at $7,500. The church has 130 members, and the Sunday school 195 attendants.
The pastor is Rev. John Wootton. The Talbot Creek or North Jasper M. E. church is an offshoot from the village
church, and is a part of the same charge, under the same pastorate. The members number about forty persons.
The First Wesleyan Methodist church at West Jasper was organized in March, 1871, at the "Gully" school
house, by Rev. Mr. Sinabaugh. There were less than half a dozen original members, but the number is now grown to
sixty one. The church house was built in 1874, and dedicated February 14, 1875. This society is now without a pastor.
The Presbyterian church of Woodhull was organized October 15, 1831, by Rev. Isaac Flagler, with sixteen original
members. The first pastor was Rev. Warren Day, followed by Rev. Mr. Pomeroy. This society received the "gospel
lot" from the Pulteney Association for the first organized church in the town. In 1861, in association with
the Methodist society, this church erected an edifice at Hedgesville.
The Union Baptist church of Woodhull was organized in March, 1858, and was the result of a union of two older societies,
known as the Woodhull Baptist church, formed November 2o, 1835, and the Newville Baptist church, organized in June,
1849. The united societies caused to be erected the church edifice at Woodhull in 1856. This is now and for many
years has been one of the strongest churches of the town, the present members numbering 123. The pastor is Rev.
G. W. Barnes. In the Sunday school are eighty pupils, under the superintendency of J. C. Husted.
The Methodist Episcopal church of Woodhull dates its history back to a little earlier than 184o, although an organization
was not effected until 1846, when a church was built in Woodhull village. A second organization was effected in
1848, and in 1861 a church edifice built at Hedgesville; in union with the Presbyterian society. The M. E. churches
of Woodhull now number 148 members and nine probationers. The present pastor is Rev. J. L. King.
The Free Baptist church of Woodhull was organized about 1834, with seven original members. The second church was
organized February 18, 1852, at which time eleven persons constituted the membership. The house of worship was
built at an expense of $2,000, and was dedicated in August, 1875.
The Methodist Episcopal church of Greenwood was organized in 1827, under the class leadership of Enos Mead. Methodist
services, however, were held in this vicinity as early as 1825-26, by Rev. Asa Orcutt. The society maintained an
existence for nearly twenty five years, meeting in convenient places, but in 1851 a reorganization was effected
and the affairs of the church established upon a more secure basis. The edifice in the village was built by popular
contribution, and cost $5,000. It was dedicated September 14, 1876. This church has an active membership of ninety
nine, with nineteen probationers. In the Sunday school are 108 pupils. The present pastor is Rev. D. E. Stiles.
The Universalist church of Greenwood was organized in 1851, and the house of worship in the village was erected
in 1852. The first meetings of this denomination were held in the old stone school house. The society is now without
The First Christian church of Greenwood was formed February 19, 1876, by Rev. John H. Cheeseman, who began his
work in the town about 1871. The original members numbered seventeen persons, but materially increased. In 1878-9
the church edifice on Main street was erected. The pastor is Rev. E. D. Chapman.
The Methodist Episcopal church at Rexville was not organized until within a quite recent date, although Methodist
meetings and services were held in this locality as early as 1831, and were continued regularly until the society
was formed. The church edifice in the village was built in 1870 and dedicated in August of that year.
St. Mary's church, Roman Catholic at Rexville, was regularly organized as a parish about the year 1869, although
several priests had said masses and conducted services in this field regularly since 1845. Father McMullen moved
his residence from Greenwood to Rexville about 1870 and within the next two years a church edifice was built. The
structure was burned February i3, 1877, and immediately replaced with the present edifice. A parochial school was
established in this parish in 1889, but soon afterward discontinued. The present pastor of St. Mary's is Rev. Dr.
H. J. McConnell.
The Presbyterian church of Canisteo was formed in 1836, but after a few years of struggling existence the society
dissolved. No special effort at reorganization was made previous to July, 1849, when Rev. Horatio Pettengiil began
preaching in the village, and the result of his labors was a complete organization on March 20, 1852, with B. C.
Richey, N. C. Taylor, W. B. Jones, Peter Myers, T. J. Magee and Wm. H. Mead as constituent members. A lot was purchased
from the Pulteney estate on which to erect a church edifice. The cost was $1,360. The corner stone was laid in
May, 1852, and the church was dedicated February 15, 1853. The edifice was enlarged and remodeled in 1877. This
is one of the large and influential religious societies of the town, the present membership numbering 308; the
Sunday school has 361 attendants, and is under the superintendence of Benjamin Stephens. The present pastor, Rev.
Duncan Cameron, has been with this church nearly eight years.
The Methodist Episcopal church of Canisteo village, the mother of the M. E. churches in the vicinity, was formally
organized about the year 1850, although Methodist meetings were held in the town about as early as 1800. and were
continued with some degree of regularity through all the years down to the time of organization. The first trustees
were Jeremiah Baker, Stephen Taylor, John H. Consalus, E. L. Gray, C. P. Chamberlain and Wm. B. Jones. The church
edifice was built in 1856, dedicated in 1857, and rebuilt in 1875. The present members number 221, and in the Sunday
school are 33o pupils. The pastor is Rev. O. S. Chamberlayne.
The Baptist church of Canisteo was organized as a branch of the mother church at Hornellsville, November 3o, 1876,
although Baptist services in the town were held many years previously, and at Adrian a society had an existence.
The original members of the new society numbered fifteen, and Rev. C. K. Bunnell was the first pastor. The fine
brick edifice was was built in 188o The first Baptist society in the town was formed in 1866. The present membership
is 134. Pastor, Rev. E. P. Brigham, settled in 1890. Clerk, T. K. Brownell.
St. Joachim's church, Roman Catholic, at Canisteo, was organized about 1883, and the church edifice built at
the same time, on a lot donated by Mr. Vorhis. This parish includes about forty families, and is attended from
St. Ann's at Hornellsville, Rev. A. R. Barlow, pastor.
The Methodist Episcopal church at Fremont was organized as a class in 1831, although the first meetings of this
denomination in the town were held as early as 1828 in various localities. As a result of these early missionary
labors three separate classes or societies were formed in the town and were Located at Big Creek, Briar Hill and
at Fremont Center. At the latter place a substantial church edifice was built in 1873. The, Methodist charges in
Fremont are now supplied by Rev. E. S. Wilcox.
The Wesleyan Methodist church of Fremont was organized as a class at the Gulf school house in 1831, and the Haskinville
circuit was formed in 1855. The church edifice at the village was dedicated in December, 1876. The present pastor
is Rev. James Bowen.
The Evangelical Lutheran church at Fremont Center was erected in 1860, although missionary preachers came among
the German element of population in this town as early as 1828; and their services were continued with some degree
of regularity until the society was formed. The membership in this church is constantly growing. The last pastor
was Rev. Mr. Dayton.
The First Advent Christian church of Fremont was organized in 1870 by Rev. William Fenn, of Rochester, who first
preached in a tent on the flat south of the present meeting house. The present edifice was built in 1871. The pastor
is Rev. H. S. Jiskok.
The Cameron Presbyterian church was built in the south end of Cameron village in 1853, and its society received
the Pulteney donation of 100 acres of land to the first organized church of the town. The society passed out of
existence many years ago and the Baptist organization purchased its meeting house.
The Methodist Episcopal church in Cameron was founded in 1812, when Rev. Abner Chase preached in the house of Phones
Green in the Canisteo valley, and in the services conducted in after years by other missionary workers in the same
field. The first regular organization was effected in 1834, by Rev. Ira Bronson. Isaac Santee was the first class
leader. The first church building was constructed in 1842, being a store remodeled for the purpose of worship,
and was located at West Cameron. It was deeded to the society by Luther White in 1865. From this humble beginning
the church in the town has been built up, and now, within the limits of Cameron are four organized Methodist societies,
each with a comfortable house of worship, and all under the charge of Rev. W. D. Allen. They are located, respectively,
at Cameron, West Cameron, North Hill and South Hill. The village class was formed in 1851, with thirteen members.
The South Hill church was built in 1872. The members of the church in the town number too, with ten probationers.
The Baptist church of Cameron was constituted in 1847, although meetings of the denomination were held in the town
several years previously. The society purchased the old meeting house formerly occupied by the dissolved Presbyterian
church, the building being removed to a more suitable location and rededicated in October, 1871. In the south part
of the town is located the East Cameron Baptist church, which was dedicated June 3, 1861. The association records
give this church a membership of fifty one persons, many of them residents of Woodhull. The Baptist clergymen in
the town are Revs. C. E. Stuart and A. W. Mettlar.
The Christian church of Cameron was organized about the year 1850, and the edifice in the east part of the town
was built in 1854.
The Roman Catholic church at Cameron is of recent organization, and is attended from Addison by Father M. Noonan.
A Presbyterian church and Sunday school were organized in the southeast part of the county, in the town now called
Caton, about the year 1825. Meetings were held in Gilbert's mill, also in barns, for several years, and in 1833
a house of worship was completed. Rufus and William L. Howe and Stephen L. Gregory built the edifice. After a struggling
and feeble existence of about thirty years this society dissolved.
The Methodist Episcopal church in Caton had its inception in the class formed in 1833 by Thomas Wheat, a local
preacher. The society was formed soon afterward and meetings were held in school houses and dwellings until 1840,
when the house of worship at the Center was completed. It was dedicated in 1842. The second church edifice was
dedicated January 16, i868. The present pastor of this church is Rev. D. B. Kellogg.
The Caton Baptist church was organized August 23, 1832, as the First Baptist church of Painted Post, and in
1840 became known under its present name. In 1842 the church was made a separate charge. The first edifice was
erected one the hill, overlooking the village, near where the old cemetery is located. The second house of worship
was built in 1862. The present membership numbers fifty one persons. Pastor, Rev. L. D. Ayers.
The Free Methodist church of Caton was organized in 1865, and about the same time the house of worship was built
in the northeast part of the town. Pastor, Rev. G. T. Labrum.
The First Baptis church of Campbell was organized as a branch of the Savona society, in 1870. In 1873 the house
of worship was built. At present this church is a joint charge with Erwin, the total membership being 153. Pastor,
Rev. J. C. Stowell.
The Catholic church at Campbell is a recent organization, and in its parish includes all the Catholic families
of the vicinity. It is attended from Bath.
The First Presbyterian church of Campbell was organized February 14, 1831, and was the outgrowth of the older society
known as the Campbell and Mud Creek church, the history of which dated back to the year 1812 The church edifice
was built in 1833, and was replaced with a more substantial structure in 1867; dedicated February 4, 1868. The
society has a good parsonage. The present members number abont 125 persons. Pastor, Rev. E. P. Salmon.
The Methodist Episcopal church of Campbell was formed as a class about 1827, and as a society soon afterward. However,
it was not until 1869 that the society purchased and occupied the old Presbyterian church building, which was remodeled
and improved. It was dedicated January 21, 1869. This church has 114 members and probationers, and a Sunday school
of ninety five pupils. The pastor is Rev. D. L. Pitts.
The Methodist Episcopal church in Thurston has comprised three separate charges. The first class was formed in
the Bonny Hill district about the year 1825, and for many years was a part of the Bath charge. A church edifice
was built and dedicated in 1843. The Methodist Episcopal church of Risingville was organized about 1850, and its
church edifice erected in 1864. The class at Merchantville was formed previous to 1850 and its church edifice was
built in 1861. The churches last mentioned are under the pastoral charge of Rev. D. L. Pitts.
The Clinton church of Thurston was organized March 26, 1836, at Smith school house in Bath, but in 1842 was transferred
to West Hill in Thurston. The church edifice was dedicated June 27, 1852. The members number about seventy five.
This society is now without a pastor.
The Methodist Episcopal church in Wayland dates back in its history to the first years of settlement in the town
by the pioneers, yet the absence of reliable data precludes the possibility of furnishing data of either organization
or subsequent growth. Two separate charges have been established, the one at Loon Lake and the other at Wayland
village, the latter a large and growing church both in influence and numerical strength, The present members number
ninety persons, with 100 pupils in the Sunday school. The present pastor is Rev. W. O. Peet.
The German Evangelical church of Wayland dates its organization back to about the year 1868, and a house of worship
was built about the same time. The new edifice in the village is a substantial and comfortable structure. The society
is strong in members and influence. The present pastor is Rev. J. W. Thompson.
The Christian church of Wayland was organized in 1864, and a chapel was built during the same year. This society
is without a resident pastor.
The German Lutheran church, St. Peter's at Perkinsville, was organized in 1845, and includes in its membership
about 150 of the German families in this part of the town. The house of worship and the parsonage are valued at
about $5,000. Pastor, Rev. R. Krause,
The Church of the Sacred Heart, Roman Catholic, was organized in 1850, its parish including the catholic families
(many of them German) in that part of the town. Connected with church is a parochial school, having seventy pupils,
under the instruction of three Sisters of Mercy. The priest in charge of the parish is Rev. Father A. L. Huber.
St. Joseph's church, Roman Catholic, at Wayland village, was organized as a parish in 1880, and regularly incorporated
the following year. The parochial school was organized in 1884. It has sixty five pupils under the instruction
of three Sisters of Mercy. Pastor, Rev. C. Kaelen.
The First Baptist church and society of Hartsville were organized on the second Sunday in November, 1838, the original
members being ten in number. This is a comparatively large society and has a comfortable meeting house at Hartsville
Center. It numbers about ninety members but at present is without a pastor. In 1894 this church did not report
to the association.
The First Methodist Episcopal church in Hartsville was organized by Rev. James Hemingwey in June, 1825, with Lewis
Clark and Robert Martin, stewards. The substantial church edifice at Hartsville Center was built and dedicated
in 1870, and adjoining it is a comfortable parsonage_ The church numbers fifty nine members and six probationers,
and in the Sunday school are forty five pupils. The present pastor is Rev. George L. Spencer of Hornellsville South
Side M. E. church.
The Seventh Day Baptist church of Hartsville, was organized in 1836, by Hiram P. Burdick, and was the outgrowth
of his early and boyhood christian teachings and life. The meeting house in the west part of the town was built
in 1856, and cost $2,800.
The East Troupsburg Baptist church was organized in 1857, association minutes, although Baptist services were held
in the locality as early as 1835, and early meetings were held in dwellings and schoolhouses. The "Chenango
Settlement" church was built and dedicated in 1875. This church now numbers ninety six members, and is under
the pastoral care of Rev. J. W. Lyon.
The Troupsburg Baptist church was organized in 1844, the result of the labors of Rev. Mr. Wade. The edifice at
the Center was built in 1874. The present membership in this church is 128, with fifty two pupils in the Sunday
school. Pastor, Rev. I. H. Beman.
The Troupsburg Free Will Baptist church was organized in 1850, and numbered about forty persons.
The Methodist Episcopal church in Troupsburg dates its history back to the year 1819, when pioneer Uzal McMindes
formed and led a class at the houses of Mr. Douglass and Samuel Rice. Samuel Griggs and Samuel Cady were later
class leaders. This society was donated the "Gospel lot" by the Pulteney association, being 100 acres
of land. The church edifice at the Center was built in 1872. The Methodist members in this town number 100, and
in the Sunday school are ninety attendants. The present paster is Rev. F. H. Rowley.
The Methodist Episcopal church of Dansville was the outgrowth of early meetings on Oak Hill as early as the year
1817. Parker Buell and James Bronson were the first preachers, and Robert Butler the first class leader. An organization
was perfected about the same time and in 1819 the first log church in the town was built. This old building was
abandoned for the new church edifice at Rogersville which was dedicated July 19, 1841. In 1862 a new church on
Oak Hill was built and dedicated. This is one of the largest churches in the town the members numbering 230. The
Sunday school has 150 attendance. Pastor, A. R. Cheverton.
The First Baptist church of Dansville was organized about the year 1820 with ten members but after a struggling
existence of about half a century, during which the society suffered from factional differences, the organization
The Universalist church of Dansville was organized about 1850, chiefly through the efforts of Rev. Asa Upson. The
church edifice was built in the village in 1852. This society, like some others in the town, has experienced a
life of vicissitudes and for a time no meetings were held. It was revived, however, and placed upon a more substantial
basis. Its present pastor is Rev. H. P. Morrell.
The Baptist church of Howard village was organized February 6, 1826, with nine members, and Rev. B. B. Brigham,
first pastor. The house of worship was erected in 1835, and substantially repaired in 1877. Present members, eighty
eight; pastor, Rev. D. J. Allen.
The Baptist church at Towlesville, in the town of Howard, was organized in 1844, and has since had a prosperous
existence. The members number eighty three, and the society is at present under the pastoral charge of Rev. Mr.
House, successor to Rev. C. Saulsbury.
The Presbyterian church of Howard was organized in 1834, and during the same year built a comfortable house of
worship. The church has a large membership and its services are well attended. The pastor is Rev. Mr. Webster.
The Methodist Episcopal church of Howard is among the older religious organizations of the town, dating its history
back to the pioneer days. The present pastor is Rev. Mr. Piercy.
The Wesleyan Methodist church at Buena Vista is also to be mentioned among the substantial church organization
of the town of Howard. The pastor is Rev. F. S. Lee.
The Wayne Baptist church was constituted in 1794, and is therefore one of the oldest religious organizations of
the region. Rev. Ephraim Todd was the first pastor and served in that capacity for thirty years, until 1823. This
church has been a member of several associations, the Chemung, Cayuga, Ontario and Steuben, in succession. The
presant members number fifty nine, and the church property is valued at $1,500. Present pastor, Rev. C. Townsend.
St. John's church, Protestant Episcopal, of Wayne, was organized as a parish November 20, 1871, although the mission
was established in 1840. Services have been held here frequently, though not regularly. In 1872 the society purchased
the _Presbyterian church edifice, which was consecrated in September, 1875. St. John's now has twenty two communicating
The Presbyterian church of Wayne was organized December 21, 1809, by Rev. John Lindsley, missionary, under the
General Assembly. However, after an existence of about half a century the society was dissolved in 1869, and the
church edifie was sold to St. John's church.
The Methodist Episcopal church of Wayne was formed February 28, 1837, although class meetings had been held in
the town at a much earlier date. A church house was provided in 1839.
The Baptist church of Bradford was organized in 1834, having sixty constituent members, and about the same year
a church house was erected. In 1835 the church was admitted to membership in the Steuben Baptist Association. The
present members number 114, and the church property is valued at $3,500.
The South Bradford Baptist church was organized July 29, 1848, and the church edifice was completed and dedicated
during the following year. It is a member of the Steuben Association. The present membership is eighty five.