The First Methodist Episcopal church of South Bradford was organized as a class in 1826, on Oak Hill, and the
church organization was perfected on February 23, 1847. The original members numbered thirteen; the present members
number 136, with thirty two probationers. However, this number includes the members of the Methodist Episcopal
church of Bradford, which was formed April 26, 1876. The houses of worship are at Bradford and South Bradford,
respectively, and constitute a single charge.
St. Andrew's church, Protestant Episcopal, was formally organized on the 0th of June, 1851, although previous
to that time services had been held with some degree of regularity by clergymen from Hammondsport and elsewhere.
A comfortable church edifice was erected and consecrated in 1866, during the rectorate of Rev. J. T. Cushing. The
present rector of St. Andrews is Rev. Henry S. Dennis.
St. James' Episcopal church at Hammondsport was formally organized June 15, 1829, although as early as 1825 the
Rev. W. W. Bostwick labored as a missionary in this field. He also became the first rector of the newly organized
parish, and continued in that relation until 1842; and during his rectorship, in 1832-33, the first church edifice
was built, and on August 28 of the latter year the church was consecrated by Bishop Onderdonk. The corner stone
of a new church edifice was laid by Bishop Coxe, April 18, 1876, and the consecration services were held June 12,
1877. This latter structure fell a victim to the elements on August 2, 1894, and was at once replaced with the
present edifice, a handsome building of Warsaw bluestone. The corner stone was laid June. 8, 1895, and the entire
cost of the edifice was about $13,000. The first rector, Mr. Bostwick, was succeeded in 1842 by Rev. Philemon E.
Coe, a deacon, and he in turn was followed by Rev. Erastus Spaulding, the latter serving from 1843 to 1849. Rev.
L. W. Russ came next, 1849-50, followed by Rev. Charles Woodward, 1850-52. Rev. Robert N. Parke was rector from
1853 to 1855, succeeded by Rev. Daniel E. Loveridge, 1855-70. Rev. James Stoddard was rector from 1870 to 1873,
and Rev. John T. Cushing during 1875-74, Rev. H. B. Gardner came in 1875 and remained until 1880, then being followed
by Rev. John V. Stryker, who died April 6, 1892. The present rector, Rev. Thomas Dirck, came to the parish in June,
1892, and under his pastoral direction the new and beautiful church edifice has been erected. St. James' church
is one of the most worthy institutions of northern Steuben county. The present communicating members number 116
persons. The wardens are John W. Davis and Charles C. Halsey; and the vestrymen, Henry O. Fairchild. Trevor Moore,
H. J. Moon, D. C. Bauder, George B. Lyon, H. Y. Rose, Will S. Wood and F. C. Fawcett.
The Presbyterian church of Hammondsport was organized September 14, 1831, and its first pastor was Rev. Mr. Flagler.
The original members were seven in number. A lot was donated, and William Hastings built a church edifice for the
society. A second church house was erected in 1847. This building still stands and is in good repair. The present
membership in this church is large about 200 and the Sunday school has about 110 pupils. The present pastor, Rev.
Charles L. Luther, came to Hammondsport in June, 1895.
St. Gabriel's church, Roman Catholic, Hammondsport, dates its history to about the year 1840, when missionary priests
said occasional masses in the village. Three years later a parish and church were organized, and in 1847 purchased
and occupied the edifice formerly owned by the Presbyterian society. The present St. Gabriel's church was built
in 1886, and is certainly a substantial structure. This parish is quite extensive, including parts of several towns
Urbana, Pulteney, Wayne and Bradford. The present priest in charge of the parish is Rev. James O'Shea.
The Baptist church in the town of Urbana includes two separate organizations, the one known as the Urbana Baptist
church, formed in 1835, with a present membership of fifty seven persons, and the South Urbana church, formed in
1891, now having thirty eight members. Pastor of the latter church, Rev. A. B. McConnell.
The Methodist Episcopal church in Urbana, ever increasing and growing both in strength and influence, comprises
two society organizations and two charges, and a total membership of 232 and twenty seven probationers. Two churches
are maintained, at Hammondsport and North Urbana, respectively, and the fair value of the church property is $6,500.
Pastor, Rev. John Segwalt.
The Presbyterian church in Wheeler enjoyed its most successful period of history and progress during the first
half of the present century. The early settlers were chiefly Presbyterians and they secured the services of a minister
who preached for them as early as about the year 1810, although not before 1824 was there any regular organization
effected. Among the first ministers were Revs. David Harrower, James Hotchkin and David Higgins. The church itself
was organized August 30, 1825, and was at once received by the Presbytery of Bath. However, the after life of the
society witnessed many vicissitudes and discouragements, although its membership included many of the most influential
families of the town. The legal organization was perfected in 1832, under the name of the "First Presbyterian
Society of Wheeler" The first church edifice was built in 1832, and the second in 1867, both at the Center.
The Methodist Episcopal church of Wheeler dates its history to about the year 1840, and had its beginning in a
small class. But from this germ there has grown a very strong organization, now numbering in the town four separate
charges and societies, and four church edifices. They are known, respectively, as the Wheeler Center church; the
Wheeler Hill, or First M. E. church of Wheeler; the Hemlock M. E. church, and the Mitchellville M. E. church. The
total membership in these churches is large and the societies themselves are increasing in strength and usefulness.
The members number more than 150 persons, and all the charges are under the pastoral care of Rev. G. R. Harvey.
The Wheeler church was originally built in union with the Presbyterian society, but later the edifice passed into
the ownership of the Methodists.
The Presbyterian church of Prattsburg had its origin in the religious service held at the house of Jared Pratt
in the year 1803, and on the 4th of June, 1804, Timothy Field organized a Church of Christ in the district of Bath,
at the house of John Niles. The original members were Joel Pratt, John Niles, Samuel Tuttle, Pomeroy Hull, Salisbury
Burton, William P. Curtis, Martha Tuttle, Dorcas Niles, Mary Hull, Hannah Niles, Sarah Curtis, Lydia Beach, Mary
Pratt, Olive Burton and Almira Tuttle. In 1806 the society determined to erect a house of worship. for which purpose
a site was selected on the public square in the village. Here was built the first Congregational church of Prattsburg,
but as the edifice was soon found to be quite too small, enlargements were subsequently made. On the 16th of November,
1807, the church society was regularly and legally organized under the name of the Prattsburg Religious Society.
Rev. James H. Hotchkiss was installed pastor August 16, 1809. On October 12, 1812, the society voted to accept
the doctrine of the Presbyterian church, and on the 21st of September, 1813, was received into the Presbytery of
Geneva. In 1825 a new church edifice was built, on land donated by Judge Porter. Rev. George R. Rudd became pastor
in 183o, and two years later the parsonage was erected. This church is undoubtedly the strongest in the town and
has a total membership of 200 persons. The pastor is Rev. G. W. Warren.
The first Methodist Episcopal society in Prattsburg was organized in 1829, at which time also a chapel was built.
The organizers of the mother church were Dr. Noah Niles, Aaron Bull and Bishop Tuttle, who withdrew their membership
from the Prattsburg Religious Society. However, the Methodist organization was dissolved about 1840, and the meeting
house was sold for debt, but the class remained, and in 1847, through the efforts of Rev. James Hall, the society
was revived, reorganized, and placed upon a substantial basis. A chuvch edifice was built on the south side of
the public square in 1847, but was destroyed by fire in 1853. After this the society again declined although occasional
services were held. A third organization was effected in 1869 and the present M. E. church of the village is its
outgrowth. Moreover, Methodism has spread throughout the whole town, and in addition to the mother church, there
are now two others, those at Ingleside and Lynn. The members of the village and Lynn churches number 15o and are
under the pastoral care of Rev. B. F. Hitchcock. The Ingleside church is a joint charge with North Cohocton, under
the pastorate of Rev. D. C. Nye.
The Baptist church of Prattsburg was organized on West Hill, about the year 1821, and Elder Nehemiah Lamb was its
first pastor. A log meeting house was built in 1822, but after its destruction by fire, in 1833, was replaced with
a substantial frame edifice and located a mile east of the old site. In 1842 the society divided, the members uniting
with four separate organizations. There was formed the First and Second Baptist churches of Prattsburg, also the
Prattsburg village Baptist church. The house of worship of the latter was built in 1845. Its members now number
forty two persons. Pastor, W. A. Huntington. The Roman Catholic church at Prattsburg has about seventy five families
in the parish. It is attended from Hammondsport by Father O'Shea.
The Christian church at Ingleside is under the pastorate of Rev. Mr. Carr.
The First Presbyterian church of Bath is one of oldest religious societies in the whole Genesee country, and was
organized as early as the year 1806, although previous to that time public worship had been held in the town. In
1802 Rev. Seth Williston conducted services in the old school house at the corner of Pulteney Square. On January
6, 1806, an organization was perfected by Rev. John Niles, and was named "The Bath Religious Society."
Still later, January 3, 1808, a modification of the former organization was made, and there was formed "The
Church of Christ in Bath, Presbyterian Congregation," and fourteen persons entered into covenant and subscribed
the constitution. The church adapted Congregational form of government, and appointed Joseph Inslee and Samuel
S. Haight as deacons. Rev. John Niles was installed pastor on July. 7,1808, and on the t8th of September, 1811,
the church completed its presbyterial organization by electing five elders viz.: William Aulls, Elias Hopkins,
Samuel S. Haight, Henry A. Townsend and Howell Bull; and at the same time removed its connection from the Congregational
association and united with the Presbytery of Geneva. Mr. Niles died September 13, 1812, and was succeeded by Rev.
David Higgins in January, 1813. During Mr. Higgins' pastorate, the first church edifice was erected, and was dedicated
March 2, 1825 The third pastor, Rev. Isaac Platt, began his service June 4, 183', and resigned in 1844. He was
followed by Rev. L. Merrill Miller, and the latter by Rev. George D. Stewart in 1851. Still later pastors were
Revs. William E. Jones, James M. Harlow (stated supply), James M. Platt, 1869; and M. N. Preston, the present pastor,
whose labors began December 1,1884. The new church edifice on the south side of the "Square" was built
during the year 1876, and was first occupied for service on February 22, 1877.
It is proper to mention in this connection that in 1837 this church was divided by the dissensions in the Presbyterian
church at large, and the result, locally, was the withdrawal of certain members and the organization of "The
Presbyterian Church of Bath (Congregational)." In 1841 the new society erected a house of worship on Liberty
street, where now stands the Purdy Opera House. The building was burned in 1871. During its separate existence,
the pastors of the church were Revs. William Strong, Orris Fraser, Hiram Gregg, Samuel Potter, Sabin McKinney,
Loren W. Russ, George Hood, Edwin Benedict, H. E. Johnson, C. H. Delong and William Dewey.
St. Thomas' Protestant Episcopal church at Bath was organized as a parish at a meeting held April 19, 1826, yet
for several years previous to that time stated services were held by Rev. Caleb Hopkins, he being persuaded to
visit this missionary field through the good offices and intercession of Mrs. Elizabeth Hull Townsend. This worthy
woman has ever been regarded as the founder of the church in the village and its vicinity. The early services of
the church were held in the court house, but in 1836 a lot was secured on the southeast of Pulteney Square, and
here a church edifice was built. The first regularly appointed clergyman in the parish was Rev. William W. Bostwick,
who conducted his first services here May 23, 1825, and who continued the pastoral relation until 1840, when he
resigned. Rev. Phineas L. Whipple became rector soon afterward, but an untimely death cut short his career of usefulness
in 1844. The succeeding rectors have been Revs. Wm. D. Wilson, Levi H. Corson, Almon Gregory, Oran Reed Howard,
Abner Platt Brush and Benjamin S. Sanderson, the latter the present rector, who assumed his duties on the 1st of
May, 1890. During Mr. Whipple's rectorship the "church plot" in the cemetery was secured, and during
Mr. Gregory's term many improvements were made to the church property. The parsonage was provided in 1852. In 1854,
and again in 1859, the church edifice was materially improved, and in 1869 the new and beautiful edifice at the
southeast corner of Washington Square was erected.
The first society of the Methodist Episcopal church in Bath was formed on the 3d of October, 1822, and on September
4 following the articles of incorporation were filed in the county clerk's office, naming John Whiting, Simpson
Ellas, George Wheeler, Jeremiah Baker and Darius Reed as the first board of trustees. The frame of a church home
was put up in 1823, and although not completed until 1826, this was the first church edifice projected in Bath,
and was used by the Protestant Episcopal and Baptist societies. In 1865 it was found necessary to enlarge or rebuild
the church, and the officers resolved upon the latter course. Prompt action was taken and on May 16, 1866, the
corner stone was laid for the Centenary Methodist Episcopal church, by which name it has ever since been known.
In 1835 Bath was made a separate charge, and Rev. J. G. Gulick was appointed pastor. The subsequent pastors, in
succession, were Revs. Chandler Wheeler, Wm. Hosmer, E. Dowd, Daniel B. Lawton, Philander Powers, David Ferris,
Earl B. Fuller, S. W. Alden, J. K. Tuttle, Augustus C. George, E. G. Townsend, Nathan Fellows, Andrew Sutherland,
C. M. Gardiner, M. N. Beers, George E. Havens, W. C. Mattison, Wm. Manning, A. F. Morey, J. T. Brownell, S. McGerald,
E. T. Green, R. D. Munger, George Stratton, James Moss, E. E. Chambers, D.D., K. P. Jervis, T. E. Bell, E. G. Piper,
and M. C. Dean, the latter the present pastor.
The Bath Village Baptist church was organized March 16, 1842, at a meeting held in the Methodist meeting house,
together with an ecclesiastical council. The constituent members numbered thirty one persons. The first pastor
was Rev. M. Rowley, who remained from 1842 to 184s. The later pastors have been as follows: Revs. H. Spencer, B.
F. Balcom, B. R. Swick, J. Parker, E. C. Brown, P. Colgrove, E. F. Crane, D. B. Obey, E J. Scott, J. D. Barnes,
E. Savage, H. H. Cochrane, J. W. Taylor, I. W. Emery, J. C. Cubberly, P. S. Vreeland. The present pastor, Rev.
V. P. Mather, settled with the church in 1890. The first edifice of this church was erected in 1844, and was enlarged
in 1859. Extensive repairs were made in 1870. It was destroyed by fire in 1887, and rebuilt the same year at an
expense of $12,000.
St. Mary's church, Roman Catholic, at Bath, dates its history to about the year 1846, when Rev. Thomas McEvoy visited
Bath and found about ten Catholic families in the vicinity. In the following year Father Sheridan was placed in
charge of the Catholic families along the Conhocton as far west as Dansville. In 1850 Father O'Flaherty added Bath
to his charge. The early services were usually held at the house of James Manley, but in 1850 Bartholomew Wilks
erected a building suitable for a church. In 1861 the parochial residence was built. In 1862 a Catholic school
was established in the basement of the church, and was continued about five years, until the school building was
completed. In August, 1886, the property adjoining the school estate at Bath was purchased by W. B. Ruggles, for
$3,300, and on this site in the years 1891-2 and '93 an elegant church structure was erected. The corner stone
was laid May 8, 1892, and on St. Patrick's day, 1893, the first services were celebrated within its walls. The
succession of pastors in charge of St. Mary's parish and church has been as follows: Thomas McEvoy, Father Sheridan,
Edward O'Flaherty, Charles Tierney, John Donnelly, Joseph McKenna, T. Cunningham, Patrick Burns, John Castaidi,
Michael Steger, J. M. McGlew, P. Mazuret, L. Vanderpool, M Darcey, J. J. Baxter and J. J. Gleason. On the 24th
of February, 1889, Father Baxter was transferred to Buffalo, and Father Gleason was appointed to the Bath church.
Father Gleason died during the spring of 1895, and the parish is now (June, 1895) without a priest.
The African Methodist Episcopal Zion church of Bath was organized about the year 1838 or '39, by Rev. John Tapkin,
whose custom it was to walk to Bath from Canandaigua, Elmira, Owego and Binghamton. Among the early pastors who
preached to the colored people in Bath were Revs. J. A. Logan, J. P. Thompson, John Thomas, M. H. Ross and C. A.
Smith. The present pastor, Rev. B. W. Swain, came to Bath in June, 1890, and found the affairs of the church in
an unfortunate condition, but succeeded, after much labor, in re-establishing and building up the society and placing
it upon a secure and permanent basis. A large new church edifice is now in process of erection.
The First Presbyterian church of Addison was organized in September, 1832, by a committee of the Bath Presbytery,
comprising Revs. A. Donaldson and E. D. Wills. There were seven original members, and Porter Phelps and Elihu Wittenhall
were elected ruling elders. Meetings were held in the Curtis school house previous to the erection of the first
church edifice, in 1838. The first pastor, as the records disclose, was Rev. Daniel B. Butts, who served in that
capacity from 1835 to 1839, and was followed by Revs. Lewis Hamilton, Darius A. Williams, A. H. Parmalee and others,
in the order named. The new church home of this society was built during 1881 and '82, and was dedicated in April
of the year last mentioned. The present members number about one hundred and sixty five. The pastor is Rev. David
The Church of the Redeemer, Protestant Episcopal, of Addison village, dates back in its history to about the year
1847, when Rev. Gardner M. Skinner came as missionary to the region. He was followed by other zealous laborers,
among them Robert N. Parke, and he succeeded in organizing the parish in April, 1854. From this time the history
of the church has been a record of Continued success and growth, and the present healthful church is its outgrowth.
A church edifice was completed, paid for in full, and consecrated by Bishop De Lancey on the sth of April, 1860.
In this parish are about sixty five Episcopal families. The present rector is Rev. W. H. Hawkin.
The Methodist Episcopal church in Addison dates its origin back to the early history of the town, and when organization
took place two societies were formed, the one in 1835 and the other in 1841. In the latter year a church home was
provided, the earlier services being held in the Presbyterian church edifice which the M. E. society aided in erecting.
By a disastrous fire the M. E. church was destroyed, and was replaced with the comfortable structure now occupied
by the society. It was dedicated in 1876. The Methodist members in Addison number 284, with twenty five probationers
in addition. The present pastor is Rev. A. W. Decker.
St. Catharine's church, Roman Catholic, at Addison, was organized in 1854, by Father Cunningham, the zealous priest
at St., Mary's, at Corning. The parish included all the Catholic families of the vicinity, and from its earliest
history this church has grown and enlarged. The church edifice was built in 1854, but not until 1866 was Addison
made a separate charge. The elegant new edifice in Curtis Square was erected in 1887. This church and parish are
under the pastoral care of Rev. Father M. Noonan.
The First Baptist church of Addison was organized May 6, 1869, under the faithful efforts of Rev. C. W. Brooks.
The first pastor, however, was Rev. S. D. Merrick, who settled in October, 1862. During his pastorate the "chapel"
was built (in 1871). The total membership in this church is 146, and the church property is valued at about $3,500.
The present pastor is Rev. W. A. Billings.
The Evangelical Lutheran church of Avoca was originally organized April 9, 1842, and after a period of about
twenty five years was substantially reorganized, adopting, on the latter occasion, a new constitution. The church
was regularly incorporated July 26, 1868, since which time it has been one of the permanent institutions of the
Conhocton valley. The comfortable church edifice was dedicated January, 1870. The Baptist church of Avoca was organized
January 13, 1847, with thirty three constituent mrmbers. Rev. Horace Spencer was the first pastor. The early meetings
of the society were held in a school house and other convenient buildings, and not until the year 18s2 was a church
home erected. This church numbers eighty eight members, and is attached to the Steuben Association. The pastor
is Rev. J. E. Wilson.
The Methodist Episcopal church at Avoca is one of the largest societies of the town and vicinity, and in its history
dates back almost to the days of pioneership in the town, although a regular organization was not effected until
a comparatively recent date. The church now numbers 115 members and fifty five probationers, including those of
a joint charge in an adjoining town. The pastor of both churches is Rev. W. E. Searles.
The Presbyterian church of Cohocton dates back in its history to the primitive and informal meetings held in the
town as early as the year 1802, although it was not until October 8, 1809, that an organization was effected, and
then Congregational in form of government. On the 10th of April, 1823, the church became Presbyterian. On April
6, 1810, Elijah Parker was chosen deacon. Revs. Aaron C. Collins and Abijah Warren were among the first preachers
engaged, and in 1818, Robert Hubbard was pastor, being followed in that capacity by Revs. William Stone, Aaron
C. Collins, Statham Clary and others. On February 3, 1830, the first meeting house was erected, and the second
was built during the summer and fall of the year 1872. This church is today one of the largest in the town. Its
pastor is Rev. Mr. Swan.
The Methodist Episcopal church in the town of Cohocton in its history, from first to last, has comprised three
distinct organizations and the same number of houses of worship. The mother church, known as the M. E. church of
Cohocton, was organized in 1822 while the church at North Cohocton dates its earliest meetings as far back as 1816,
though not then fully organized. The class from which sprung the Lent Hill M. E. church was formed in 1831, and
the meeting house was built in 1834. The society was known as the "First Union Society of Cohocton and Prattsburg."
The church house for the society first mentioned was provided soon after 1830, and the building was substantially
remodeled in 1872. This church seems to have experienced many changes during the period of its history. It was
reorganized in 1845, and was made a separate charge ("Liberty charge"), in 1873. According to the Conference
report there are two Methodist charges in the town, at Cohocton and North Cohocton, respectively. Of the first
the pastor is Rev. T. F. Parker, and of the latter, Rev. D. C. Nye.
The First Universalist church of Cohocton was regularly organized in September, 1859, although for a number of
years previous to that time those of this faith had held meetings in the town. A meeting house was begun in 1860
and completed and dedicated in 1863. The pastor of this church is Rev. H. P. Morrell.
The Catholic church (St. Peters) of Cohocton, was erected in 1861. Rev. Father M. Steger was the first missionary
priest to read mass in the town. The present priest in charge is Rev. Father M. Krischel.
St. Paul's church, German Lutheran, of Cohocton was organized in 1861, by former members of the Lutheran church
at Perkinsville. The newly formed society at once erected a small house of worship, and also chose as trustees
Philip Zimmer, Henry Sehuriegel, Henry Hengle and Philip Bortz. The present pastor of this church is Rev. Mr. Pfieffer.
The Evangelical Lutheran Zion church of Cohocton was an offshoot from St. Paul's church, formed in 1862 by members
of the old society who severed their relations from it. The meeting house was built during the same year. The pastor
is Rev. Mr. Rummell.
The Free Methodist church at Atlanta is under the pastoral care of Rev. M. S. Babcock.
The Wesleyan Methodist church at North Cohocton is under the pastoral care of Rev. W. F. Dutcher.
The Presbyterian church of Painted Post was organized about 183s, and the church edifice was built in 1840. This
was the first religious society in the village and has had a continuous existence to the present time. The pastor
is Rev. J. Robinson.
The Methodist Episcopal church at Painted Post was organized about the year 1850 and at the same time a church
home was built. This is now a large church numbering 200 full members and probationers, with a proportionally large
Sunday school. The present pastor is Rev. Arthur Osborne.
The Baptist church of Erwin, at Painted Post, was organized in 1854, and in 1860 a chruch was erected. The present
membership is eighty eight. Pastor, Rev. C. G. Dilworth.
The Baptist church of Hornby dates its history back to the year 1820, when Elder Beebe preached and labored in
this missionary field, holding services on Nash Hill. However, it was not until several years later that a formal
organization was effected. The Baptist families in the society number about thirty five members, and the church
property is valued at $2,000. The present pastor of the local church and society is Rev. O. N. Fletcher.
The Presbyterian church of Hornby was organized at the Knowlton school house, September 14, 183s, by a committee
from the Presbytery of Bath. The original members numbered twenty one, who were received into the church by Rev.
B. B. Smith. The first pastor, however, was Rev Mr. Barton. A substantial church edifice was built in 18s2, located
at Hornby village.
The Wesleyan Methodist church at Dyke, in the town of Hornby, was organized in 1843, and for several held meetings
in the Knowlton school house; and still later in the Presbyterian meeting house. On March 4, 1877, the society
dedicated a new church edifice near the little hamlet now called Dyke.
The Methodist Episcopal church of Hornby was organized as a class in 1843, by Rev. James Hall. The church was divided,
a portion of its members withdrawing and forming the Wesleyan society. A Methodist Episcopal reorganization was
effected about 1863, under the leadership of Rev. A. H. Shurtliff and A. P. McCabe, the latter being class leader.
Meetings were held in the church edifices of other denominations for several years. This society does not now report
to the annual conference.
The First Baptist church of Lindley was organized June 13, 1841, under the missionary labors of that indefatigable
worker, Rev. Thomas Sheardown, but despite of the efforts in its behalf the society existed less than a quarter
of a century, and was dissolved about 1864
The Free Methodist church of Lindley was organized in 1866, and a church edifice was built at Lindleytown within
the next two years. The present pastor is Rev. Mr. Kelly.
The Independent church of 'Lindley was organized May 20, 1875, with about fifty constituent members. In 1877 the
society became Baptist in religious doctrine. It does not now report to the association.
The Methodist Episcopal church in Lindley was organized at the Center in 1850, but did not become a separate charge
until 1866. Still later another church of the same denomination was formed at Lindley, and two charges existed
in the town. The church at Presho, and also that at Lindley, are under the pastorate of Rev. E. D. Compton.
The Methodist Episcopal church in Rathbone comprises two charges and two organized societies, the one at Rathboneville,
under the care of Rev. J. W. Miller, and the other at Cameron Mills, an auxiliary charge. The first class in this
vicinity was formed about 1831, and in 1845 the "Town Line church" was erected. A class was formed in
Rathboneville about the same time, and in 1850 a church edifice was built.
The Roman Catholic church at Cameron Mills is an outmission from Addison and is attended
by Father M. Noonan.
The Methodist Episcopal church in Tuscarora dates its history back to about the year 182s, although not until 1833
was a class formed. The first meeting house was built in 1849, but was subsequently abandoned. The church in the
town now forms a part of four charges, South Addison, Addison Hill, Orr Hill, and one other. The total membership
is 1864, with forty five probationers. The pastor is Rev. R. S. Clark.
The Free Will Baptist church of Tuscarøra was organized in 1826, with nineteen members, as a Free Communion
church, but changed to Free Will character in 1842. The church edifice in the valley was built in 1847, and was
repaired in 1866, and again in 1886. The pastor is Rev. Mr. Streeter. Baptist meetings are also held in the southeast
part of the town, and a society has been formed there.
(For history of the churches of Corning, see city chapter.)
Return to Church History part 1.