History of the Village of Kanona, Steuben County, NY
From: Landmarks of Steuben County, New York
Edited by: Hon. Harlo Hakes
Assisted By: L. C. Aldrich and Others
D. Mason & Company, Publishers,
Syracuse, New York, 1896

KANONA. - According to the recollections of Irving W. Near, the pioneer in fact of the little village called Kanona was Col. Henry Kennedy, yet at this point as early as 1794 a tavern was kept by John Mahon. In 1794, the year in which Duke de Liancourt travelled through this region, a small settlement had been built up on the village site. Col. Kennedy, however, made a substantial improvement here, and from him the place became known as Kennedyville. Among the other early settlers here were Brigham, Elijah and John Hanks, in 1804, and Jeremiah Wheeler in 1805. These settlers were Vermonters, drawn to the locality by the cheapness and fertility of the land. Erastus Glass came to Kanona about 1806, and built a saw mill about three fourths of a mile below the village. Clinton Nixon built a saw mill and tannery in the village in 183o. Among the early prominent men of the locality were Russell Kellogg, George Dawson, Samuel Tyler, Zera Bradley, and Oliver Allen, all of whom are now dead.

Mr. Near also informs us that about 1836, a new class of people came to the locality, many of them from the Mohawk Valley. Also from the same authority it may be stated that Ann Parker taught the first school in this district, in a school house built in 18 1o, on the site now occupied by business blocks. The Universalists were the first religious denomination in this part, followed by the Christians, and the two built a union meeting house. The Presbyterian church was built in 1831, but was afterward transferred to the M. E. Society, by whom services have ever since been maintained.

The name of the postoffice was changed from Kennedyville to Kanona in 1852, through the efforts of Brigham Hanks and Reuben Robie. The name then adopted was the Indian designation of Five Mile Creek, and means "rusty water." The first railroad, now the Erie, was built through the town in 1853, from which time everything relating to travel and transportation was changed. The D., L. & W. Road was opened for traffic in 1882, and the Kanona and Prattsburg road in 1889. These thoroughfares of travel have built up Kanona and made it a village of some note in the Conhocton Valley. Here are about seventy five dwellings, several good stores, shops and all other industries found in similar villages.


Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates


All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy