History of the Village of Rathboneville, Steuben County, NY
From: Landmarks of Steuben County, New York
Edited by: Hon. Harlo Hakes
Assisted By: L. C. Aldrich and Others
D. Mason & Company, Publishers,
Syracuse, New York, 1896

RATHBONEVILLE. - In the year 1842 Gen. Ransom Rathbone came to the Canisteo valley to engage in manufacturing and shipping lumber. Unquestionably he was a man of excellent judgment in business affairs, for his efforts here were fairly rewarded. Not a pioneer in the locality, he nevertheless opened the first store in the town, secured a post station, was active in organizing the town itself, and, in return for his services, the latter was named in his honor, as well as the hamlet. Half a century ago this was the center of an extensive lumber region, where many enterprising operators were engaged in lucrative business. This led to the starting of other industries, and a little energy and push created a village settlement. Among the persons engaged in milling and kindred pursuits, were Orman S. and Keyes Whitmore, who began in 1845. Ten years later Henry Rathbone built a fair sized flour and grist mill. In the year first mentioned General Rathbone opened his store and secured the postoffice. A meeting house for religious worship was soon erected, a school house was opened, and by these institutions the village was created. The operation of the railroad only added to local prosperity, and Rathboneville became an established and permanent fact; and today it is the principal village of that town.

The population of the "ville," as briefly called, is hardly more than one hundred and fifty, yet here is a busy hamlet. The leading industries are the saw and grist mills of F. J. Brady; the hay press of E. M. Caffexty; large general stores of M. P. Young and J. F. Boyer; tobacco store and barber shop of town clerk, Jesse F. Cole; the blacksmith shop of W. S. Wilson, and the hotel (Magnolia House) kept by H. Bird. The public institutions are the district school and the M. E. church.

[Also see the town of Rathbone]


Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates


All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy