History of the Village of Savona, Steuben County, NY
From: Landmarks of Steuben County, New York
Edited by: Hon. Harlo Hakes
Assisted By: L. C. Aldrich and Others
D. Mason & Company, Publishers,
Syracuse, New York, 1896

SAVONA VILLAGE. - On the 30th of April, 1833, the village of Savona was incorporated, and thereafter became separated from the mother town of Bath so far at least as local government was concerned. The name of this little village is all that now remains of the once known town of Savona which was annexed to Bath in 1862. Had the town scheme been perpetual, our village would have been its principal trading center and metropolis, yet notwithstanding the annexation, the life of the place, both in hamlet and village character, has been one of continued growth and prosperity. With the natural attractions of the county seat and the superior trading facilities offered by the enterprising city of Corning, business interests in Savona have been compelled to establish themselves against opposing circumstances, yet they have grown with other branches of village life and are now firmly established. In fact Savona enjoys the same advantages of location as does Bath, and like it is in the center of a rich agricultural region. The Erie and D. L. & W. railroads are built through the village, affording excellent shipping facilities both east and west. The Conhocton also contributes its share in promoting the public welfare. It is not frequent that two incorporated villages are built up within the limits of one town, as in Bath, and both be prosperous,while the first established and incorporated happens to be a county seat. From this condition of things we may conclude that there is much of enterprise and progressiveness on the part of the younger village and its inhabitants; at least the residents and business men of other localities claim this for Savona, and as the opinion is disinterested it carries the conviction of truth.

From old records it is learned that this part of the town of Bath was for many years within the general region called Mud Creek, from the fact that that stream discharges into the Conhocton at the village site; and in the early history of the town this point of junction was an important center to lumbermen and boatmen on both streams. The pioneer of this locality was Thomas Corbitt, 1793, followed by John Doleson and Henry McElwee in 1794, and soon afterward by Henry Bush and others. A postoffice and trading center was established here about 1823, Elisha McCoy being of one the early postmasters. Among the other early settlers in the locality were John Moore, David Whitaker, Uriah Hughes and others now forgotten.

The water privilege offered by Mud Creek and the Conhocton had much to do with the founding of a village in this part of the town, and it only remained for the industrious inhabitants of that time and of later years to enjoy railroad facilities when that popular thoroughfare of transportation and travel superseded the slow current of the streams. Within a stone's throw of the the school house in the village can be found at least half a dozen substantial citizens who remember the infancy of Savona, and also the once wide popularity of Mud Creek. However, all is now changed by the the march of progress, and where only a few years ago was a struggling hamlet is now a flourishing village of six hundred inhabitants. The public buildings comprise the Baptist and Methodist churches, and the village school. A Union school district was organized in 1891, and the Savona school now compares favorably with any of like size in the county. The board of education is composed of Charles Peterson, Daniel Collier and A. Burt.

The village officers are John P. Hedges, president, and Will Sanford, Jerome. Freeman and George Stinson, trustees, T. C. Wall, cleric, and W. E. Joint, treasurer.

The business interests comprise the grist mill of George Allen, the sash and blind factory of George Scripture, the planing mill of Clarence Hubbard and the "patent sluice" factory of Charles Davis. The mercantile interests include two good general stores, Sanford & Stinson, and William Stevenson; two drug stores, W. H. Ward and G. U. Sexton; one hardware store W. E. Joint; one furniture and undertaking store, A. Cushing; a jewelry store W. M. Shutts; two hotels, three blacksmiths, a carriage shop, a cigar factory (John Ward), a music store, meat market, barber shop, two milliners, and several shops. such as are usual to country villages. Savona has one good, live newspaper, the Savona Review, well edited, and published by T. C. Wall.


Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates


All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy