TROUPSBURG. - In the southwestern part of Steuben county is located a civil division by the name of Troupsburg,
so named in honor of Robert Troup, agent for the Pulteney Association. It was perhaps fortunate for Colonel Troup
that this jurisdiction was created in 1808, for had that event been delayed twenty years it is doubtful whether
the inhabitants would have been so well disposed to honor the former patron of their region. During the anti rent
conflict in 1830, and about that time, the agent, by reason of his trust capacity, was compelled to assume and
maintain a somewhat determined attitude regarding the lands owned by his principals, and the settlers were not
generally satisfied with the measures of relief offered them. However, all things considered, the town was worthily
named. Moreover, it has always been regarded as one of the important towns of the county, notwithstanding its remote
Within its present boundaries Troupsburg contains 35,700 acres of land, being second in size in the county. As
originally formed from Middletown and Canisteo, the town contained a vast area, eighteen miles long, east and west,
and about ten miles wide. At that time it included half of township 1, of range 4, also Nos. 1 in the 5th and 6th
ranges, with the fourth part of No. 2 in the 4th range. An early writer of Troupsburg history says of the town
in 1811: " No. 1 in the 5th range is an excellent township, the hills low, and the timber maple, birch, basswood,
walnut, &c. It has good mill sites on Tuscarora and Troup Creeks. No. 2 in the same range is also good, as
is No. 1 in the 6th range, the timber oak, walnut, elm, basswood, birch and maple. This town has been settled only
since 1805, and is yet very wild. It has good iron ore."
In the course of time, however, Troupsburg was called upon to surrender portions of her territory to other formations.
Parts of Greenwood and Jasper were taken off in 1827; part of Woodhull in 1828, while a portion of Canisteo was
annexed to this town on April 4, 1818. Therefore the original town of Troupsburg included at least portions of
the present towns of Woodhull, Troupsburg, West Union, Greenwood and Jasper.
It is a well known fact that in the town are some of the most elevated lands in the county, if not in the entire
region, reaching at times the extreme height of 2,500 above tide. The settlement called High Up is indeed appropriately
named. Troup's Creek is the principal water course.
Among the earliest settlers in Troupsburg were Andrew Simpson, Ebenezer Spencer and Andrew Craig, all of whom raised
families and were active and highly respected men in the region. Simpson did the the blacksmith work for his few
neighbors, while pioneer Craig was energetic in developing the early resources of the region. He made and marketed
the first butter sent from the town, and it was his custom to take the season's products from the neighborhood
and journey to Philadelphia to make his sales. The Marlatt family was also prominent in the locality, some of its
descendants, as well as those of the Craig family, gaining positions of importance in county affairs. Alanson Perry
settled here in 1808, and Judge Mallory came about the same time. This, too, was a prominent family in the new
region, and from them the locality known as Mallory's Settlement was named. We may also recall the name of Caleb
Smith, Rev. Robert Hubbard, Nicholas Brutzman, Nathaniel Thacher, Jesse Lapham, Philip Cady, Elijah Hance, Reuben
Stiles, Daniel Martin, Abner Thomas (the first school teacher, in 1809), Elihu Cady, Maj. Samuel Cady, Squire and
Andy Reynolds, Lewis Hayes, Jonathan Rogers, Capt. George Martin (who built an early grist mill on Troup's Creek).
Zadoc Bowen, Elder David Smith, Alanson Perry, Richard Phillips, James Carpenter, John Miller, and others now forgotten.
All these were in some manner identified with early town history, many of them having descendants now living in
the county, enjoying the fruits of the toil and example of their pioneer ancestors. A cotemporary writer has said:
The early settlers of this region were drawn hither by all the variety of motives which in all parts of the country
induce the pioneer to seek the frontier; but the great prevailing motive was cheap land and long payments. The
Pulteney and other estates were crowding their lands upon the market, and inducing settlement by low prices and
long credit. Twenty shillings cash or three bushels of wheat per acre was the standard price of the land, with
ten years, or longer if desired, for payment. After 1809 the migration was quite rapid and the lands were rapidly
put under contract, the settlers finding it about all they could do to support their families and pay the taxes,
and very few of them did more.
However, the changes of four score years have indeed been wonderful. The old pioneers are all gone; the troublesome
times have passed away, and on all sides is seen the appearance of comfort and thrift; fine and well cultivated
farms, and tasty dwellings, good out buildings and splendid orchards, all unmistakably tell of the energy and perseverance
of the sturdy pioneer and the equally industrious descendant.
As we have stated, in 1808 the few inhabitants of this then extensive region founded a town, and named it Troupsburg.
The first election of officers was held at the house of Daniel Johnson, in what is now Woodhull, in March, and
these persons were chosen: Daniel Johnson, supervisor; Samuel B. Rice, town clerk; Stephen Dolson, Brown Gillespie
and Elijah Cady, assessors; Uri Martin, Wm. Worley and Nathaniel Mallory, commissioner of highways; Rezen Searse,
collector and constable; Daniel Johnson, overseer of the poor; Elijah Cady, second poormaster; Caleb Smith, fence
The supervisors of Troupsburg, in succession, have been as follows: Daniel Johnson, 1808-12; Charles Card, 1813-19;
Samuel Cady, 1820-22; Adna B. Reynolds, 1823-25; Asher Johnson, 1826-27; Samuel Griggs, 1828-33; Win. Card, 1834;
Joshua Slayter, 1835; Wm. Card, 1836; Orange Perry, 1837-38; Alexander Tucker, 1839; Levi Grinolds, 1840-42 Samuel
Griggs, 1843; Bradshaw White, 1844; Nathaniel Mallory, 1845; Alexander Tucker, 1846; Levi Grinolds, 1847-48; Am.
Ten Broeck, 1849-50; Levi Grinolds, 1851-52; Wm. Ten Broeck, 1853-54; James B. Murdock, 1855-58; Eleazer Fenton,
1859-60; Samuel Olmstead, 1861; Wm. Carpenter, 1862; Eleazer Fenton, 1863-64; James B. Murdock, 1865; Eleazer Fenton,
1866; John G. Lozier, 1867-71; W. N. Griggs, 1872-73; Nathaniel M. Perry, 1874-75; Willis White, 1876-77; W. N.
Griggs, 1878; Alfred Williams, 1879-80; Wm. H. Perry, 1881-82; W. N. Griggs, 1883-84; Thomas R. Park, 1885-86;
Charles Marlatt, 1887-88; Hiram Olmsted, 1888-90; D. W. Hober, 1891-92; N. M. Brooks, 1893-95.
In 1810, two years after its organization, this jurisdiction had a total population of only 292 inhabitants, but
during the succeeding ten years the number increased to 650. In 1830, then being somewhat reduced in area by other
town formations, the inhabitants numbered 666, and 1,171 in 1840. In 1850 the population had still further increased
to 1,754, and in 1860, to 2,096. Ten years later it had reached 2,281, and in 1880 was 2,494, the greatest number
in its history, The population according to the census of 1890, was 2,174, and in 1892 was 2171.
During the period of local history known as the anti rent conflict, the inhabitants of Troupsburg were not only
much interested in occurring events, but were directly concerned for the safety of their lands, and if local tradition
be reliable, here was a veritable hotbed of dissatisfaction and discontent, though the excitement of the time did
not carry the people beyond a vigorous discussion of the several measures proposed for their relief. In the notable
Bath convention the Troupsburg delegates were Samuel Cady, Samuel Griggs, Joshua Slayter, Jesse Wilden and Nathan
S. Hayes. Mr. Griggs was one of the committee chosen to present to the proprietary the claims of the suffering
Another noteworthy fact in connection with the history of this town, was the record made by its volunteers during
the war of 1861-65. The roster discloses the fact that Troupsburg furnished for all branches of service a total
of 222 men, who were chiefly distributed among the several regiments recruited in this county, while a number enlisted
in other localities and a few in Pennsylvania.
Gleaning from old records, we learn that the first child born in this town was Polly Young; the first marriage
that of Zebulon Tubbs and Sarah Rice, and the first death that of Jeremiah Martin. Lieut. Reynolds opened the first
public house, four miles from the Center, and Ichabod Leach kept the first store two miles from the village. George
Martin built the first grist mill at the village. Through the same channel we also learn that the first school
was taught by Abner Thomas, a little east of Troupsburg village. This mention naturally leads us to speak of the
school system of the town at large, although imperfect records preclude the possibility of reliable information
on this subject. Again, the several changes and reductions of territory necessitated frequent rearrangement of
the old districts, no record of which seems to be preserved. As at present constituted, the town has eighteen school
districts, including the academic school at Troupsburg village, in which were employed during the last current
year, twenty teachers. The whole number of children attending school was 644. The value of all school property
is $6,910. The town received public moneys to the amount of $2,276.78, and raised by local tax $1,595.24. Forty
trees were planted during the school year.
Troupsburg has been called the town of many villages, but this is in no sense surprising when we consider the topographical
features of the region. From the very earliest settlement the inhabitants established trading centers to suit their
convenience, and in so large a town, and one so broken by valleys and ridges, the founding of frequent hamlets
was but an act of prudence. Troupsburg village, or Center, is of first importance and is situate near the center
of the town, while the West, South and East villages occupy the situations suggested by their respective names.
High Up is the post office name for West Troupsburg, and Young Hickory is in the southwest part of the town.