URBANA. - In the spring of the year 1793, William and Thomas Aulls left their former home in Lancaster, Penn.,
determined to establish for themselves and family a permanent abode in the new yet widely known Genesee country.
They visited Geneva and Bath, both of which were primitive settlements, and finally made their way toward the head
of famed Lake Keuka. This journey naturally led the travelers into the beautiful Pleasant Valley country where
they found lands suited to their wishes, and here the senior Aulls located his purchase and built a cabin on what
has been known as the Decker farm. This was the first civilized settlement within the present town of Urbana, although
the country had been frequently traversed between Bath and other southern settlements, and Geneva and Canandaigua.
Through the valley was the principal Indian trail leading to the head of the lake and thence down the same on both
east and west sides After clearing and planting sufficient for the necessities of his family during the coming
winter, the senior Aulls returned to Pennsylvania and brought the other members of his household to their new home.
In the fall of the same year (1793), Samuel Baker also built a cabin and made an improvement in the locality, and
in the spring of the following year, brought his family to the valley, accompanied or closely followed by Richard
Daniels and Amos Stone William Read came about the same time and has been mentioned as the third settler in the
town. Other pioneers were Abram and Jonas Brundage, John Faulkner, Captain Shether and Eli Read. The Faulkner improvement
was purchased in 1807, by Cornelius Younglove. Captain Shether purchased and located on the site of the present
progressive village of Hammondsport, his deed bearing the date 1796, and his lands embracing 146 acres. The property
was afterward transferred to William Root and by the latter to Lazarus Hammond, and from the last mentioned we
have the name - Hammondsport.
Recalling briefly the names of other early settlers and residents in this locality, may be mentioned Daniel Bennitt,
Robert Harrison, Caleb Chapman, the proprietor of the first log tavern at North Urbana, Stephen Kingsley, Abram
Depew, John Walters, Obediah Wheeler, Reuben Hall, Andrew Layton, Erastus Webster, David Hutches, Samuel Drew,
John Daniels, Samuel Townsend, Joseph Rosencranz, and others whose names are now lost. Many of these early settlers
were natives of New England and several of them had served during the Revolutionary war, a few as officers in the
service. The first birth in the town was that of Samuel Baker, Br.; the first marriage that of Jonathan Barney
and Polly Aulla in 1794; the first death that of John Phillips, 1794; Eliphalet Norris taught the first school
in the valley in 1795; Caleb Chapman kept the first tavern at North Urbana; Henry A. Townsend opened the first
store at Cold Spring in 1815; John Shether built the first saw mill in 1795, and Gen. George McClure built the
first grist mill in 1802.
From what has been stated the reader will at once discover that the the early settlement of this part of the county
was accomplished rapidly. In truth, in all the vast area of land in Steuben no portion possessed greater beauty
or more natural advantages than did this locality at the head of the lake and extending thence up the fertile Pleasant
Valley. This prominence has continued to the present day, although the character of the occupancy and the pursuits
of the inhabitants have materially changed. Urbana has become a vineyard and fruit township, and as such enjoys
a State wide and enviable reputation. Even to the tops of her highest hills, some of which have an altitude of
a thousand feet, the vineyards extend, and in all localities are fine farms and inviting places of abode and pleasure.
These natural advantages have combined to make this town one of the most valuable and also one of the most interesting
in the whole Genesee country.
Indeed, so rapidly were the lands taken up by early settlers that in 1825 there dwelt in the town no less than
966 inhabitants, and at that time the hamlet we now call Hammondsport was only a scattered settlement, while lake
traffic was so limited as to be hardly a factor in local growth. On the t7th of April, 1822, the town of Urbana
was set off from Bath and given a separate organization. In 1839 a part was re annexed to Bath, while in the same
year a portion of Wheeler was annexed to Urbana; also a small part from Pulteney on April 12, 1848. As now constituted
this town contains 25,200 acres of land, and has a population (1890) of 2,590.
The organization meeting was held in the school house in Pleasant Valley, on the first Tuesday in March, 1823,
at which time officers were elected as follows: Henry A. Townsend, supervisor; Lazarus Hammond, town clerk; Andrew
Layton, Henry Griffin and Abram Brundage, assessors; Obediah Wheeler, Reuben Hall and Abram Brundage, commissioners
of highways; Samuel Baker and William Read, overseers of the poor; Caleb Rogers, Stephen Kingsley and William H.
In this connection it is also proper to furnish the succession of supervisors, as follows: Henry A. Townsend, 1823-31;
John P. Popino, 1832 and 1835-37; William Baker, 1833-34; Amasa Church, 1838; Jacob Larrowe, 1839; Obediah Wheeler,
1840-41 and 1844; Peter Houck, 1842-43; Wm Baker, 1845; Aaron Coggswell, 1846; J. J. Poppino, 1847-48 and 1850;
John W. Davis, 1849; John Randel, 1855-56; A. S. Brundage, 1853; M. Brown, 1854; Orlando Shepard, 1855-56; John
Randel, 1857; John W. Taggert, 1858 and 1860-62; Joseph A. Crane, 1859; Benjamin Myrtle, 1863-65 and 1869-71; Absalom
Hadden, 1866-68 and 1872; G. W. Nichols, 1873-75; R. Longwell, 1876; Charles L. Bailey, 1877-78; B. F. Drew, 1879-80;
Adsit Bailey, 1881-85; H. J. Moore, 1886-87; J. H. Keeler, 1888; George H. Keeler, 1889-90; H. J. Moore, 1891-93;
H. M. Champlin, 1894-95.
The town officers for the year 1895 are Harry M. Champlin, supervisor; Lemuel J. Benham, town clerk; Benjamin J.
Wright, Frank H. Hunt, George W. Hubbs and David Longwell, justices of the peace; Joseph Smith, collector; George
Austin, overseer of the poor; Robert L. Snow, highway commissioners; Theodore Hamilton, George Vrooman and Eugene
La Rue, excise commissioners.
In the preceding portion of this chapter there has been narrated a brief account of the civil history of the town
of Urbana. It began that history with the organization in 1823, and from that to the present time the record of
the town has been one of almost continuous and uninterrupted progress. Noting its gradual growth, we may state
that in 1825 the population of the town was 966, and in 1830 had increased to 1,288. During the next ten years
the inhabitants increased in number to 1,884, and in 1850 to 2,079. In 1860 the number was 1,983, and 2,082 in
1870. Ten years later the population was 2,318, and still further increased to 2,590 in 1890 According to the enumeration
made in 1892, the town had a population of 2,542.
During the famous anti rent conflict in 1830, and about that time, the inhabitants of this town were quite seriously
affected by the discussion of the period, and some of the men of Urbana were prominently identified with the proposed
measures for relief. The delegates to the Bath convention were Henry A. Townsend. John Sanford, jr., John Powers,
Elias Ketchum and Dyer Crammer.
Again, during the war of 1861, the record of the volunteers from the town forms a bright page in local history,
for no less than 200 men of Urbana were enlisted in all branches of the service. At that time the population was
1,983, and the records show that fully ten per cent of the whole number were contributed to the town's quota.
No less interesting is the history of the educational system of the town at large, for the fact is well authenticated
that the inhabitants of Urbana have ever made generous provision for the support of public schools. As early as
the year 1823 Edward Townsend, Franklin Baker and William Read, commissioners of common schools, divided the town
into school districts, seven in number, and a school was at once established in each. In 1827 the town received
of public moneys $59.76, and a like amount was raised by local tax. In this manner the system was established,
and from it the present condition of schools has grown. As now constituted the town has twelve districts, and each
has a suitable school house. During the last current year eighteen teachers were employed. The value of school
property in the town is estimated at $19,450. The amount of public moneys received was $2,219.75. and the town
raised by tax the additional sum of $5,440.83.
Still further referring to the subject of early schools in Urbana, we may quote briefly from Mrs. Bennitt's narrative:
"In 1795 the agent of the Pulteney estate gave to William Read, Amos Stone and Samuel Baker, and their heirs,
fifty acres of land for school purposes. Afterward by an act of the Legislature, it was made over to the trustees
and their successors in office, and at the present time is doing the work intended by Charles Williamson. The first
school house was built in 1795, and Eliphalet Norris was the first teacher. Mr. Williamson's offer of land for
school purposes was made to other districts to induce settlement, but Pleasant Valley people were the only ones
who took legal measures to secure the land."
In this chapter not more than a passing allusion has been made to the pleasant and progressive village of Hammondsport,
nor to any of the institutions of the corporation. In accordance with the plan of this work, such mention is reserved
for another department, to which the attention of the reader is directed. (See Municipal History.) In the same
manner, also, in the Ecclesiastical history will be found mention of the several church organizations of the village