History of the Village of Steuben County, NY
From: Landmarks of Steuben County, New York
Edited by: Hon. Harlo Hakes
Assisted By: L. C. Aldrich and Others
D. Mason & Company, Publishers,
Syracuse, New York, 1896


[ More Villages, Towns and Cities in
Steuben County, NY ]

BRADFORD VILLAGE. - This little hamlet is located in the northeast part of the town of the same name, and while it has never attracted any special attention as a business center, it is nevertheless a convenient trading point and sufficient for the needs of the inhabitants of the surrounding country. Frederick Bartles was the first settler in the village, the builder of the first mills, and proprietor of the first store. As at present constituted the business interests comprise three or four good stores, and also the hotel, mills, shops and other lesser industries incident to rural villages. Here also are three churches and a good school. The churches are the Baptist, Methodist and Protestant Episcopal, each of which is mentioned elsewhere in this work.

BUENA VISTA. - Buena Vista is a pleasantly situated hamlet located in the south part of the town of Howard, and was established as a postoffice and trading center for the convenience of the inhabitants. Its business interests are few, comprising the general store of F. W. Spencer and the blacksmith shop of W. E. Drake. Here is located the Wesleyan Methodist church.

BURNS. - Burns is the name of a small hamlet and station on the line of the Erie and also the C. N. Y. & W. railroads, to the construction of which it owes its greatest importance. The merchant of this place is P S. Jones, who also holds the office of postmaster.

CAMERON VILLAGE. - During the early history of the town, the village was the center of trade and population, and here for many years there assembled the worthies of the vicinity and the numerous lumbermen who operated in the region. In the town chapter we have referred to the primitive industries which led to the founding of a village settlement, and also to its subsequent growth and final decline in importance. The first store was kept by Andrew Erwin, an Irishman, and Martin Rurnsey was another early merchant at the Corners, as then known. Still later business men were Ebenezer Van Tuyl, John Cherry, S. M. Rogers, Herman Swift, Morgan & McKay, Peter Chase, Swarthout & Pierson, and others.

The village is built on a narrow strip of land in the Canisteo valley, and is surrounded by high hills. A main street runs through the hamlet, parallel with the river, and along this the buildings and principal residences are built. The present mercantile interests are the stores of J. D. Wheeler, Mrs. William Hallett, and F. L. Hawley. The later industries of this immediate vicinity are the Cameron flour, feed and custom mills and the Boyd saw and feed mills. The Adamson saw mill is located three miles north.

CAMERON MILLS. - The original designation of this hamlet was "Hubbardville," and so named from Daniel Hubbard who came from Broome county half a century or more ago and built the first flour mill in the town. He also opened a store for the accommodation of his customers, and naturally a postoffice was established there. This part of the town was in Cameron, and as the milling interests were important, the name of Cameron Mills was adopted. Furthermore another postoffice by the name of "Hubbardsville" was in existence in Madison county.

The present Cameron mills are owned and operated by J. T. Beckwith. The merchants here are Crawford Bros., and Watson Northrup. Dr. J. W. Blades has a drug store. Postmaster, James Crawford. The public institutions are the district school and Methodist Episcopal church. A Catholic chapel was built here several years ago. It is attended from Addison by Father Noonan.

CAMPBELL VILLAGE. - This little hamlet is located near the center of the town of the same name, and was brought into existence by the earliest settlers, who built mills on the Conhocton River. The first grist mill was built by Gen. John Knox and Archie Campbell in 1812, and stood across the raceway from the present Bemis mill. In 1846 a combined saw and grist mill was built by Marcus Wheelock for Andrew Langdon. In 1855 the business interests of Campbeiltown, for the village was once so called, comprised three saw mills, one flouring mill and two tanneries. At that time there were about twenty dwellings and one church in the hamlet proper. The present industries are the saw mills of John P. Clark and Floyd Fuller; the grist mill owned by the Bemis estate, established in 186o; and the hay press and hay and grain business carried on by R. P. Myhers, the latter established in 1885. The merchants of the village are Bowiby & Platt, A. B. White, J. L. Van Kirk, George C. F. Sharp, John M. Clawson, George N. H. Plan, Mrs. E. B. Williams, H. B. Willard, John Worden (barber), John Eggabroat, postmaster, Emmet B. Ross. The Bank of Campbell began business in July, 1877, with George R. Sutherland, president, and W. S. Clark, cashier.

COOPER'S PLAINS. In the north part of the present town of Erwin, near the Campbell line, John Williams settled about the year 1795. Local tradition has it that Williams was a "Hessian" soldier in Burgoyne's army and was included in the surrender at Saratoga in 1777. When the Genesee country was opened to settlement, Williams came to the region and made a residence in the then town of Painted Post. Among the later land owners or settlers in this locality were Judge McBurney, Alson Pierce and the Cobbs, all as early as 1814 and 1815. Finally a settlement was started and a post station established, the postoffice being, it is said, a shingle nailed to a tree, under which letters and papers were placed.

Judge, or as otherwise known, Dr. Cooper, came to this part of the town in 1828, and was in fact the founder of the hamlet. In 1841 he built a large residence and laid out into lots a part of his farm. Albert Mulligan opened a store, Col. Uri Balcom built a saw mill, and Anson Buck opened public house. Thus the hamlet was founded, but after the timber lands had been cleared business began to wane, and only as a station in a fertile region on the line of the Erie and D. & W. Railroads has the place any importance.

CURTIS is a small settlement on the railroad, southeast of Campbell, where in 1835 Col. Balcom built a saw mill. The postoffice was established here in 1875. The present postmaster is Jerome J. Quinby, who also has a general store. In 1854 the firm of Howell, Curtis & Co. built a large tannery at this place, and for one of the partners the postoffice and village were named. The tannery was burned in 1858, and rebuilt by Curtis Bros. It was burned a second time in 1869, but immediately restored. The concern is now owned and operated by the U. S. Leather Company. At the postoffice called East Campbell, Eugene Smith has a grocery. The postmaster is Harmon Stevens.

DYKE is a post hamlet near the center of the town of Hornby, and was established August 1, 1889, for the convenience of the people of the vicinity. Here is located the " Shady Grove " district school and the Wesleyan Methodist church. The merchant here is Manley L. Baker, who is also postmaster.

EAST TROUPSBURG is a postoffice in the east part of the town where is a small settlement and one or two industries. In this locality, also, is the East Troupsburg Baptist church. The local postmaster is Stephen C. Brewer. This hamlet has a store and a few other interests of lesser importance.

ERWIN. - In the southwest part of the town of Erwin, on the line of the Erie Railroad, is a small hamlet known as Erwin. The station was built in 1873, and about that time E. E. Townsend was appointed postmaster. The present postmaster is James W. Thompson.

FERENBAUGH. - This hamlet, a post office and station on the line of the now called Fall Brook road, was named in allusion to one of the prominent families of Hornby. The hamlet itself is small, its industries few, yet as a shipping point for farm produce it has some prominence. The merchants here are Ferenbaugh Bros. The postmaster is John H. Ferenbaugh.

FREEMAN. - This little hamlet is situated near the center of the town of Tuscarora, and includes about thirty dwellings, a church, two stores, a district school, recently built, a saw and feed mill, and a few shops. The hamlet was named for one of the old and prominent settlers of the locality. The present merchants are Atwood Weeks and William H. Whitcomb; blacksmiths, Martin Andrews ands Levi Chase; shoemaker, George Mullen. Postmaster, William H. Whitcomb.

GANG MILLS. - This hamlet was a place of much importance during the lumbering period of town history in Erwin. A firm comprised of Isaac Gray and Platt and Dana purchased, about 1832, a 4,000 acre tract of timber from the William Erwin estate, and built and put in operation a large saw mill. The locality afterward became known as Gang Mills, but with the devastation of the forests the importance of the settlement also departed.

GIBSON'S LANDING (Catawba P. O.). - This is a pretty little hamlet on the lake front, and, during the period of canal boating on the lake, was an. important shipping point. It is now a summer resort, enjoying an excellent standing in that respect, and still possesses a certain prominence from a commercial standpoint. The Lake Keuka Wine Cellars are near the hamlet. The officers of the company are George H. Keeler, president; R. R. Soper, vice president; Monroe Wheeler, treasurer, and Charles G. Wheeler, secretary.

GOODHUE LAKE is the name of a post hamlet situated in the northwest corner of the town of Addison, near the small body of water of the same name. A postoffice was established here for the convenience of the inhabitants of this locality, and naturally a little trading center has been built up. William A. Jimmerson is the merchant and postmaster at this place. Here also is a district school.

THE VILLAGE OF GREENWOOD. - This little hamlet of about 250 inhabitants is situated in the southeast part of the town of Greenwood, on what is known as Bennett's Creek, and distant ten miles from Canisteo. It contains three churches (see church history), several stores and shops, and a number of manufacturing industries. Mail reaches here daily from Ganisteo.

The merchants of the village are George M. Webster & Co., large general stock; N. E. Coston, general store; Woodward & Young, general store; Shaw & Austin, ani J. M. Cheesman, hardware; and S. A. Scribner, harness dealer. The manufacturing interests are the machine shops, foundry and planing mill owned by George M. Woodward; the wagon and carriage shops of T. E. Mallory; the wood working factory of Byron Rugar, and the lumber business of G. D. Woodward.

The town at large has eleven school districts, No. 2 comprising the village school. This is a school of advanced standing, a Union Free School, with an academic department. Here are employed a principal and two assistants.

HARMONYVILLE (Pulteney P. O.). - This little hamlet, severally known as indicated above, is pleasantly situated in the northeast part of the town, yet among the villages of the county possesses little importance It is on the main thoroughfare leading from Hammondsport to Branchport, and about a mile distant from the lake. A trading center was established here many years ago, and until lake traffic drew trade to the eastward was the most important hamlet of the town. The public buildings here are the Presbyterian and Methodist Episcopal churches and the district school house. The merchants are G. W. Peck & Company, general store; F. N. Goodrich & Company, general store; Coryell & Connell, general store; A. J. Nichols, drugs, etc. The manufacturing interests are few, chiefly basket and box factories to supply the demands of the grape and fruit growers.

HARTSVILLE CENTER (Purdy Creek Post Office), is a small hamlet situate north of and near the center of the town, on the upper waters of Purdy Creek. The first business in this locality was done a mile above the present hamlet, near where a cheese factory was built. Joseph Henry opened the Center House in 1831, and two years afterward this became the business center. The postoffice was located at Charles N. Hart's dwelling. J. D. Russell established a permanent store here in 1868, since which time two stores have generally been in operation. The present public buildings are the school house and the Baptist and Methodist Episcopal churches, both of which are mentioned elsewhere in this work. The merchants are F. E. Carney and F. W. Spencer, proprietors of general country stores. Here, also, is a saw and feed mill, owned by William Donaldson. The other local interests are the blacksmith shop of Mr. Fuller and the harness shop of James Goodno. D. A. Oaks is proprietor of the Call Hill cheese factory. Another similar industry in the town is in process of erection. The postmaster at Purdy Creek is Scott Van Buskirk.

HASKINVILLE. - This little hamlet is situate in the northeast part of the town of Fremont, and was named for William Haskin, early settler and progressive citizen. At this place William Holden had a shingle mill as early as 1834, and soon afterward sold out his improvement to Mr. Haskin; and the latter built here the first tavern in the town in 1836. Around this the village was built up. Its early interests comprised the hotel, a store, cheese factory, shoe and blacksmith shop, together with about twenty dwellings. The present business interests are the store of Silsbee & Bowen, the hotel of Eli Chase and a few small shops. The postmaster is Ziba C. Silsbee. The Wesleyan Methodist church at this village is mentioned elsewhere in this volume.

HIGHUP is the somewhat characteristic postoffice designation of a locality in the northeast part of the town of Troupsburg, which was formerly known as East Troupsburg. Other than enjoying an elevated situation, and being surrounded with thrifty farmers, this place possesses little general importance. The present postmaster is Samuel S. Wyckoff.

HORNBY. - This is perhaps the largest and greatest among the hamlets of the town of the same name. Its public buildings comprise the Presbyterian and Baptist churches, the district school, and the town hall (for here the town business is transacted). The residences number about thirty. The leading industry comprises the flour, feed and saw mills of C. G. Wheat & Son. The merchants are M. A. Eddy, A. W. Howell, and C. L. Smith, proprietors of good, well stocked general stores. The local postmaster is Clark L. Smith.

HOWARD. - This little hamlet is located in the south part of the town, and is perhaps the principal business center. The village beginning was made by the opening of a store and the erection of the saw and grist mill mentioned in the history of the town. As settlement progressed other industries were established, an academy was founded, two churches were built, hotels were opened, and the so called Howard Flats became a place of some importance in local annals. However, the population of the village proper has not at any time exeeded 25o inhabitants, and now has less than that number.

The present business interests of the village comprise the general stores of Goff & Swain and D. Ray Bennett; the saw mill of J. W. & M. M. Bennett; the cheese factory of Bennett & Glover, and the blacksmith shops of Frank H. Sharp and Horace Bennett. There are also two hotels, the National, kept by Judson Wells and the Central House, William Burleson proprietor.

INGLESIDE. - This pleasantly situated little hamlet was primarily known as Riker's Hollow, and so called after an old family in that locality. The merchants here are John D. Avery and Wyman Drake, the latter being also postmaster. Dr. William M. Fulkerson, supervisor, is a resident at this place. Three miles south of this hamlet, in Lyon's Hollow, so called, is the saw mill of Edward Drake. At Ingleside is an M. E. church.

THE VILLAGE OF JASPER. - This pretty little hamlet of perhaps 350 population, is the chief center of trade in the town, and the story of its early history is best told in the words of another: "The old business portion of Jasper known as the Five Corners, was centered around Adam Brotzman's tavern, and contained, besides the tavern, a saw mill, two stores and a postoffice, the latter the first in town, and William Gardner postmaster. The office became an object of contention between the rival corners, and during John G. Marlett's term, became "Marlatt's Corners." Near this place Harvey Phoenix opened the first store, and was succeeded in 1834 by Edward Craig, who moved the goods to Five Corners. Andrew Craig was soon afterward made postmaster and brought the office to the store. Thus the village was founded, and later interests gradually increased the local population to its present number. The merchants of today are D. C. Hunter, general store; J. W. Wallace, general store; Andrew Murphy, hardware; Charles B. Hilborn, general merchandise; C. E. Brown, furniture and undertaking; H. B. Andrews, market, F. S. Viele and M. N. Same. The village also has a good school, three churches (elsewhere mentioned in this work) and the shops and lesser business enterprises incident to similar hamlets.

KEUKA. - A hamlet on the take of the same name derives whatever importance it possesses from its value as a shipping point for grapes and various other kinds of fruit grown in the region of which the hamlet is the center. The Keuka House and the Helvetia are prominent public hostelries, while the nearby resort known as Grove Spring, with its large hotel, adds to local prosperity. The general store at Keuka is owned by A. C. Waggoner, who is also postmaster.

LINDLEY. - When this town was erected from Erwin the center of business was transferred from Erwin Center, or as now known Presho, to Lindley, and the clerk's office has since been maintained there. This event, together with the fact that the hamlet is situated near the center of a rich agricultural region, and is a natural trading paint, has given to it whatever importance it has. Here are two churches, Methodist Episcopal and Free Methodist, the town hall and district school. The merchants are H. F. Hill and Dr. J. McManus. Postmaster, Marvin Stowell; William Hutchinson, blacksmith and town clerk.

LYNN. - This place is hardly more than a post office station, and is located in the southwest part of the town. The postmaster is Aaron Porter Borden. Here is a store, school house, and a Methodist Episcopal church.

MITCHELLSVILLE is the name of a small hamlet and postoffice situated in the southeast part of the town of Wheeler, near the Urbana line. The office was established here for the convenience of the inhabitants of this part of the town, and naturally a trading center was soon built up. The hamlet contains one general store, a Methodist church, the district school and a few shops. Mail is received by stage from Bath.

NEIL'S CREEK is a post office and hamlet in the extreme western part of the town of Avoca; a convenient center in the heart of a productive farming community, but of no considerable importance among the villages of the county. The postmaster at this point is Matthew N. Silsbee.


NORTH COHOCTON, the companion hamlet to Atlanta, distant north one mile from the latter, is a pleasant little burg on the lines of railroad which cross the town. Forty years ago the settlement con­tained one church, a store, a few shops, and about thirty dwellings. The first merchant was Solomon Hubbard, succeeded by William A. Gil­bert. At the present time the churches are the Methodist Episcopal and the Wesleyan Methodist, while the business interests comprise at least a dozen substantial stores, about as follows: Wetmore Bros., gen­eral merchandise; E. S. Carpenter, druggist; C. E. Moose; W. L. McDorn & Co., general store; C. A. Greisa, furniture and undertaking; J. P. Wetmore, clothing; John Wood and M. Peck, blacksmiths; C. B. Stoddard, wagonmaker; H, Nye, flour and feed; Ira Wagner, hotel.

The North Cohocton and Atlanta Union School and district, as now known, was established in 1872, and the academy building, south of the village, was erected in 1874, at a cost of $4,000. About 200 pupils are in constant attendance at this school. The present school board comprises H. W. Hatch, president; A. P. Moulton, secretary; A. R. Wetmore, treasurer; and Beech Drake, W. C. Waite and S. M. Decker. Principal, M. C. Plough.

NORTH URBANA. - This small hamlet is situated in the eastern part of the town of Urbana, near the Wayne town line and about a mile distant from Lake Keuka. As a business center the place has little im­portance, yet its location in a rich vineyard and agricultural region, makes it a convenient postoffice point for the people of both towns. Here are generally maintained two churches and a district school. The local postmaster is J. W. Wheeler.

PERKINSVILLE was so named in compliment to Benjamin Perkins, an early settler and prominent man in the western central part of the town. He built the first saw mill in the town. However, the hamlet did not attain to a position of more than passing importance previous to the opening of the D., L. & W. railroad, which naturally gave impetus to all local interests; and the still more recent construction of the C. N. Y. & W. road, as now known, added to the prominence of the hamlet. The merchants here are Frank Bricks, Stephen Bricks and Peter Kuhn, gen­eral stores; John Ritz and George A. Didas, boots and shoes; Mrs. T. M. Fowler, grist mill. The hotels are the Steuben, the Miller, the Per­kinsville, and the Lackawanna. John Smith is a manufacturer of cigars; Nicholas Mather has a market, and W. F. Schubmehl and Mr. Schoon­over are local blacksmiths. Postmaster, Peter Didas. One of the Wayland Portland Cement companies has its seat of manufacture at this place. The churches are the Catholic and Lutheran.

PRESHO. - This little hamlet was for many years known as Erwin Center, and previous to the division of the old town of Erwin, in 1848, was a place of considerable importance in local affairs. The town meetings were held here and other business was attracted to this central part of the town as then constituted. It was also a lumbering center of note forty and more years ago, and after the forest growths were cleared and agriculture became the chief pursuit of the inhabitants, it became a shipping point on the commonly called Blossburg railroad. The recent name - Presho - was given in allusion to a prominent family of that part of the town. T. J: Presho is now the local storekeeper and postmaster. Here is located the Methodist Episcopal church, the district school, and the saw mill of H. M. McCullough.

THE VILLAGE OF REXVILLE. - In 1849 Charles and Daniel Rexford came into the valley of Bennett's Creek and built a saw mill on the site of the village named for them. They also erected the first frame building in the town and opened a tavern which was called the " Eagle." These enterprising brothers were also instrumental in bringing about many improvements in the settlement and were in all respects useful and progressive citizens. However, they sold the tavern to James McCormick and soon afterward left the village. In 1855 Jesse Jones and Dr. Cyrus B. Knight opened a store in the village, and soon afterward a mail route was established through this part of the valley. Thus the village settlement became a fact, and although never having more than 200 population it is a business center of some importance. The public buildings are the Methodist Episcopal and Roman Catholic churches and the district school. The merchants are Failing & Co., Mrs. Sarah P. Harden, Joseph McKeon, Bernard Harrigan and John McCormick. Postmaster, John P. Harden. The manufacturing industries of the village are the combined saw and grist mill, built in 1872 and 1876, owned by Mortimer Richey; the cheese factory owned by O. Snyder and operated by Edwin Carpenter, and a few other small shops.

RISINGVILLE. - This hamlet is located in the southwest part of thetown about three miles from Thurston village. It was named in allusion to Noble A. Rising and was brought into existence by the erection of a large mill in the year 1852. The mill was built by Josephus Turbell and was one of the most complete of its kind in the county at that time. Harley Sears opened a store near the mill in 1853, a school and church were established about the same time and Risingville soon became a settlement of some importance. The postoffice was established in 1853, Noble H. Rising, postmaster. The only business interests of the village of the day are those carried on by E. T. Terry.

ROGERSVILLE. - Among the earliest settlers on the village site were Jonas Bridge, Prosper Booth and Daniel Handy, who with John Miller built a flour mill in 1822. The post office, which down to about 1848, had been located at Beachville, was removed to this village, and at the same time William C. Rogers moved to the old store from Beachville and opened therein a select school which soon afterward became the academy. In 1850 a foundry was established by R. W. and D. Dans, near the store, for the manufacture of stoves and farming implements.

The Rogersville Academy, a notable institution during its palmy days, was organized in 1849, and the buildings were erected in 1852. The Rogersville Union Seminary, an institution designed for the higher edution of young ladies, was incorporated by the regents January 28, 1853. However, both of these institutions lost much of their old time importance with the gradual enlargement of the public school system of the town. At its best Rogersville had a population of about 250 inhabitants. Twenty years ago its business interests comprised three or four stores, a good hotel, three blacksmith and two wagon shops, a broker's office and a flouring mill. There were also the academy and the seminary and the Methodist Episcopal and the Universalist churches.

The present business interests of the village are the well stocked stores of Henry Weirmiller and Mundy & Root, general merchants; the flour and feed mill of Byron Wallace, and the saw mill of Jacob Kurtz. The postoffice designation of this village is South Dansville; postmaster, Dyer L. Kingsley.

SONORA. - This hamlet is a small postoffice settlement in the northeast part of the town of Bath, and three miles north of Savona. Half a a century ago Sonora and Savona were regarded as sister hamlets, the advantage and location, however, being with the latter. The store of P. A. Bryant, a blacksmith and carpenter shop, comprise the business interests of the place. Here, also, is the school of district 14, and a Methodist church.

SOUTH ADDISON. - In the early history of the north part of the present town of Tuscarora, Amos Carr made a settlement and improvement, and from him the locality was designated Carrtown. However, when a postoffice was established in the little hamlet which was built up, the name South Addison was adopted, and has since been continued. About a mile from this settlement was built in 1856 a large tannery, around which another cluster of dwellings was built. The present institutions of South Addison comprise the nearby school and the M. E. church.

The Addison tannery was built in 1856, by Robert Hammond, and although twice partly burned, it has been an important industry of the town. It was bought in 1865 by W. Stratton, from whom it became known as Stratton's tannery. In 1893 it became ,a part of of the large syndicate called the United Leather Company.

SOUTH BRADFORD is a hamlet situate in the south part of the town of Bradford, and on the highest land in the town. Joel Hallock cleared the first land on the village site. Increase Cooley was the first storekeeper, and Moses Ellas the first hotel keeper. The present interests comprise two stores, a few small shops; while the public buildings are the Baptist and Methodist churches and the district school.

SOUTH HOWARD. - This is a postoffice station located in the southeast part of the town. Postmaster, Samuel T. Hoagland.

SOUTH PULTENEY, OR BLUFFPORT, is a hamlet and postoffice in the southeast part of the town of Pulteney.

SOUTH TROUPSBURO is a postoffice hamlet in the south part of the town of Troupsburg. The postmaster here is James B. Murdock. This place has a general store.

STEPHENS MILLS. - This little hamlet, otherwise known as Fremont Center, was named in allusion to Elisha G. Stephens, who for a period of more than half a century was identified with the best interests and history of the town. In 1833 Mr. Stephens purchased the Upson farm, near the center of the town, and engaged extensively in milling, lumbering and farming, and as a result of his industry the village settlement was built up. He also established the hotel and secured the postoffice for this place. The hotel he built in 1854, and in 1839, on the death of his daughter, caused the pretty cemetery to be laid out. In the village are three churches, the Methodist Episcopal, Advent and Evangelical, the latter just outside the village proper.

The merchants at the center are N. Davis, E. R. Killbury, B. Pickle & Son and E. L. Welsh. The industries are the mill, established by Mr. Upson, and now owned by Jesse L. Spaulding; W. B. Stephens' saw mill and shoe last factory, and the blacksmith shops of J. A. Kester and L. Clark. The local postmaster is John Helmer.

THURSTON VILLAGE. - This hamlet is situated in the east part of the town on Michigan Creek, and until a comparatively recent day was known as Merchantville. In 1841 Edwin Merchant bought the village site and opened a blacksmith and wagon shop between Hawley's farm and Eddy's tannery. In 1845 he built a saw mill, and in 1854 Alva Carpenter and 0. P. Alderman bought a stock of goods of Harley Sears and began doing business. From that time Merchantville has been a trading point and business center. Mail is received daily from Campbell station. However, Thurston. village has lost much of its oldtime importance and now numbers hardly more than too inhabitants. Here is located the Methodist Episcopal and Christian churches, the district school house, two stores, a few shops and about twenty five dwellings. The merchants are J. W. Colson and J. M. Alderman. Postmaster, Frank Allerton.

TOWLESVILLE. - This hamlet is located about a mile west from the town line, on the Turnpike road, and was named from Richard Towle, a prominent early settler in the vicinity. This place has two churches, the Baptist and Methodist Episcopal, a school, four stores and one or two shops. The merchants are H. Clark McChesney, Hollie Hoagland and Will Boughter, general stores; G. R. De Groat, hardware. Blacksmith, George Wyckoff.

TROUPSBURG VILLAGE is a pleasantly situated hamlet, near the center of the town and on Troup Creek. Independent of the surrounding country, the hamlet has little history, for its founding and subsequent growth were almost wholly due to the necessities of the inhabitants of the locality; and not at any time during the period of its history has the local population exceeded 250. Pioneer George Martin, better known as "Captain" Martin, made the hamlet beginning here when he built the saw mill on the creek many years ago. This improvement was followed by the country store, then a public house, and finally the the small shops incident to such places completed the village settlement.

However, as the hamlet grew in importance and the surrounding township became freely settled, an academy was founded which enjoyed for many years a prosperous existence, and afforded educational advantages not obtainable in all towns. After its destruction by fire the academy was followed by a graded district school of excellent standing among the institutions of the county. As at present constituted the business interests of Troupsburg comprise several well appointed general stores, saw and feed mills, several blacksmiths and wagon and repair shops, a good hotel and about forty dwellings. The Methodist Episcopal and Baptist churches are also located here, and will be found more fully mentioned in another department. The postmaster at Troupsburg is Benjamin F. Ford.

WALLACE. - This is a small hamlet situated northeast of Avoca, in the Conhocton Valley, and on the line of the Erie and Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroads. To these lines of travel the hamlet owes its greatest prosperity and almost its very existence. The local postmaster is J. H. Cotton.

WAYNE VILLAGE is a pretty little hamlet lying in the northeast portion and partly in the adjoining county of Schuyler. As a trading center the village possesses some commercial importance yet a fair proportion of business interests are outside the boundaries of this town. The more recent enterprises are embraced in three good general stores, two feed mills, a saw mill and basket factory, and a few shops. Here, also, are two hotels, a good school, and the Episcopal, Baptist and Methodist churches, the latter being referred to elsewhere in this work. The postmaster at Wayne is Edson Bailey.

WAYNE FOUR CORNERS is a settlement and trading center in the south part of Wayne, having a few business interests of various kinds. The postmaster here is C. A. Castner.

WEST CATON. - A postoffice was established at this point in 1888 (May 29). The hamlet is situated in the northwest corner of the town. The merchant here is S. E. Quackenbush, and the mill proprietor C. D. Barnard. The mill was built in 186o. Postmaster, S. E. Quackenbush.

WAYLAND DEPOT is a hamlet on the D., L. & W. Road. Here are two hotels and the station, but no business interests of any importance.

WAYNE VILLAGE is a pretty little hamlet lying in the northeast portion and partly in the adjoining county of Schuyler. As a trading center the village possesses some commercial importance yet a fair proportion of business interests are outside the boundaries of this town. The more recent enterprises are embraced in three good general stores, two feed mills, a saw mill and basket factory, and a few shops. Here, also, are two hotels, a good school, and the Episcopal, Baptist and Methodist churches, the latter being referred to elsewhere in this work. The postmaster at Wayne is Edson Bailey.

WAYNE FOUR CORNERS is a settlement and trading center in the south part of Wayne, having a few business interests of various kinds. The postmaster here is C. A. Castner.

WEST CATON. - A postoffice was established at this point in 1888 (May 29). The hamlet is situated in the northwest corner of the town. The merchant here is S. E. Quackenbush, and the mill proprietor C. D. Barnard. The mill was built in 1860. Postmaster, S. E. Quackenbush.

WHEELER VILLAGE. - This little hamlet is pleasantly situated near the center of the town of the same name, and although it has never attained to a position of any special prominence among the villages of the county, it is nevertheless an important trading center and also an excellent shipping point on the line of the Kanona and Prattsburg Railroad. The necessity of a trading post within the town led to the building up of the hamlet and a postoffice was established here many years ago. Levi Gray was the first postmaster, followed by Daniel Gray, O. F. Marshall and Ephraim Aulls in the order mentioned. The business interests of the hamlet are few, yet sufficient to supply all local demands. The merchants are E. K. Aerick and Fred F. Lewis, while the other interests are embraced in the few small shops incident to country hamlets. However, the saw mill owned and operated by Charles M. Renchan is one of the largest industries of its kind in all Steuben county. The village church and district school are the only public buildings worthy of note.

YOUNG HICKORY is a postoffice and trading hamlet in the southwest part of the town of Troupsburg, where is one or two industries. Postmaster, Nathan E. Wallace.


Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]


NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Dutchess - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates


All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy