WAYLAND VILLAGE. - The town of Wayland was brought into existence chiefly through the efforts of John
Hess and Myron M. Patchin, and the village in an equal measure was brought into life by the energy of James G.
Bennett, also one of the leading men of the town. He secured the consolidation of the previously existing postoffices
of Patchinville and Begola, under the name of Wayland Depot, in 1848, by which designation the place was known
until 1884, when the word "Depot" was dropped. As Mr. Jervis has said, "The building of the Erie
Railroad determined finally the location of the village and assisted in its growth. The nearest station to Dansville,
all the traffic from that enterprising village passed through Wayland; and the old stage coach, with its four horses
and Captain McHenry in charge, is vividly remembered by the older citizens - the four horses reduced to one and
the old coach exchanged for a 'buck board' made its last trip over this historic route on July 20, 1889."
However, later railroad constructions added greatly to local advancement. The now known Delaware, Lackawanna &
Western road was built through the town and opened for traffic in 1882, and the Rochester; Hornellsville &
Lackawanna began business January 25, 1888. By the latter the village was given direct communication with Hornellsville,
and the three thoroughfares of travel and transportation combined to make this village one of the most important
railroad points in the county. The village, too, has profited by these roads, and if we may be guided by the prophecy
of observing men the future of Wayland is to be one of continued prosperity and substantial growth.
In 1877 the population and business interests were such as to create a demand for incorporation. Consequently in
April of that year the Court of Sessions made an order by which the place advanced from the hamlet to the village
character. The first officers were elected on May 22, 1877, and were as follows: H. S. Rosenkrans1, president;
N. N. St. John, Guy Bennett, Henry Schley, trustees; Torrey S. Beeman, collector; George Morehouse, treasurer.
C. C. Tinker was the first clerk. The present officers are: George C. Whitman, president; B. Kusch, jr., Frank
Kester and W. W. Capron, jr., trustees and assessors; P. H. Zimmerman, clerk; Frank K. Smith, treasurer; S. B.
Young, collector. The incorporation of the village was an absolute necessity, for at that time the population approximated
600, and improvements were needed which could not be secured at the general expense of the town. The trustees first
caused suitable sidewalks to be laid, then secured a system of street lighting, and provided against some of the
annoying elements incident to hamlets. A small though efficient fire department was organized, the present apparatus
being a good truck, Champion Hook and Ladder Co., comfortably housed in Music Hall.
The Union School of the village is one of its best institutions, academic in character, and standing in the front
rank among the schools of the county. The present trustees are W. W. Clark, Julian A. Morris, William Flory, George
C. Beitzel and R. C. Niel.
The business interests of Wayland are noted for their stability, and notwithstanding the disastrous fire of 1883,
by which many buildings were destroyed, the present condition of affairs is an improvement upon the former. In
truth, there is much progressiveness and public spiritedness on the part of this German and American municipality
and its people. There are a number of good hotels, among them the Bryant House, kept by O. F. Leiders; the Commercial,
by N. Schu, jr.; the Central, by Shepard Rowell; the Wayland, by Thomas Cramer; the Engel, by Frank Engel, and
the Rapber, by J. N. Rauber.
The mercantile interests are represented substantially as follows: Dry goods, J. I. Sterner, A. L. Morley, C. Gottschall
& Son; grocers, John C. Mehlenbacker, Weinhart Bros., Kausch Bros., T. K. Smith, W. N. Deitzel, Mrs. M. Rauver;
hardware, M. Kimmel & Son, Geo. E. Whiteman & Co.; druggists, Guile & Snyder; baker, Gunderman &
Huppes; furniture, J. A. Rosenkrans, agent; boots and shoes, George Nold, G. Zeilbeer & Son; meat markets,
George Fox, Frank Reufernbarth; jewelers, A. J. Pardee, J. M. Purcell; undertakers, V. Kausch, jr., Rosenkrans
& Tinker; cigar dealers and makers, Sherman Bassler, A. M. Hartshorn; wholesale liquors, Edward Tyler; coal
and produce, W. W. Capron, jr., H. W. Hatch & Son, B. J. Scott & Son; bankers, Morris & Morris, a private
bank, established in 1887.
The Wayland Register and the Union Advertiser, are enterprising weekly newspapers published in the village, the
former by Bert Goodno, and the latter by H. B. Newell.
Among the manufacturing industries of the village the cement companies demand first attention. The Wayland Portland
Cement Company began the manufacture of a superior grade of cement in 1891, and almost at once gained great popularity
with their product in the market. The works were burned July 4, 1892, but were immediately rebuilt. This concern
manufactures 300 barrels of cement daily. A second company under the same name is ready to begin business, and
also promises to become an extensive industry in the village. The proprietors of the company first mentioned are
T. Millin & Co. Messrs. Schaffer and Wolf are proprietors of a combined planing and saw mill, and are also
contractors and builders. The second saw mill is owned by W. F. Kiel. The village blacksmiths are B. J. Scott,
Frank Kester, J. M. Ryder, William Drumm, H. Teed and E. Harter. The flouring mill at Patcliinville is owned by
J. P. Morsch.
In addition to the business interests already enumerated, we may mention as elements of municipal life four organized
church societies, the Methodist Episcopal, Evangelical, Roman Catholic and Christian; also the customary social
and fraternal organizations, prominent among which is Lodge 176, I. O. O. F. The principal entertainment hall is
Wienhart's Opera House. The population of Wayland village in 1880 was 605, and 679 in 1890.