THE VILLAGE OF WOODHULL. - This is one of the most important of the unincorporated villages in the county,
and is situated near the center of a large farming district, hence attracts trade of such character as to materially
advance all local interests. Moreover, the village is noted for its delightful situation and beautiful surroundings.
The first beginning on the village site was made in 1806 by Caleb Smith, builder of the first mills in the town.
Micajah Sherwood was also an early settler here and ,largely instrumental in building up the hamlet. Jusof the
Peace Calvin Searles was an early corner here, as also were Joseph Tubbs, landlord; Levi Tubbs, carpenter and shoemaker;
Lyman Rosier, blacksmith; Ichabod Leach, merchant and potash manufac turer; Ira Smith, storekeeper, and others.
In these primitive industries was laid the foundation of the village, and after the separate organization of the
town the little hamlet became the chief center of trade.
The village is on both sides of the Tuscarora, the stream being spanned by a substantial bridge. The public buildings
of the village are the churches (elsewhere mentioned) and the public schools. The merchants are E. & D. Colvin,
C. W. Tubbs, N. B. Payne, Gee & Stroud, general stores; J. S. Warner and J. C. Husted, druggists; James A.
Walker and George A. Candy, hardware; E. & A. Colvin, and White Brothers, meat markets; F. S. Prutzman and
M. E. Colvin, jewelers; H. P. Smith & Son, furniture dealers. The local lawyer is E. T. Hollis; the milliners
are Mrs. "Payne and Mrs. Hollis; the blacksmiths are Randall Prutzman, Jacob Salisbury, Samuel Colgrove,;
wagon shops, W. P. Perry, M. P. Wilson, and Frank Olin; barber, S. H. Barrett, who is also town clerk. The hotels
are kept by James R. Lautz and Edward Potter.
Woodhull is also the seat of publication of a good family newspaper, the Southern Steuben Republican, edited and
published by R. C. Park. This paper was founded in 1879 as the Steuben Sentinel and independent in politics, but
eventually becoming a Republican paper, changed its name to Republican.
In addition to the business interests noted, the village and its immediate vicinity is the seat of several manufacturing
industries, also worthy of mention. They are the furniture factory of William Benjamin; the saw mill and feed mill
of Lamson & Bartle; the saw, feed and cider mills of James W. Miller; the saw and grist mills of Baldwin &
Stryker, and the cheese factories of George Harris and William Wildrick. In addition to these are the lesser interests
and industries, all of which combine to establish a prosperous suburban village. The postmaster of Woodhull is
S. L. Wildrick.
The Woodhull Academy and Union School is the pride and glory of every loyal inhabitant of the town, and is indeed
a worthy institution. It was built in 1868 and designed for academic purposes, the most prominent of its supporters
being Hamilton Marlatt, and Orrin B. Baxter, the former donating the site on which the building was erected. The
academy was incorporated under the statute, but was soon afterward deeded to the district and established as a
Union Free School, with an academic department. The first principal was Prof. Jeffreys. The present principal is
Miss Belle Ingersoll. The members of the Board of Education are Delancy Colvin, S. L. Wildrick, N. P. Matson, Hiram
Ten Broeck, and William Carpenter.