TOWN OF STILLWATER.
Stiliwater is one of the eastern tier of towns. It is bounded on the north by
Saratoga, on the east by the county line, on the south by Halfmoon and on the west by Malta. The Revised Statutes
define the town as follows:
The town of Stillwater shall contain all that part of said county bounded southerly by Halfmoon, easterly by the
east bounds of the county, westerly by Malta, and northerly by the north bounds of lot number seventeen in Saratoga
Patent, continued in the same direction west to the town of Malta.
The surface of the town is moderately hilly. The hills known as Bemus Heights lie partly in the northern part of
the town. The flats along the Hudson are bordered by a range of bluffs from sixty to a hundred feet high. None
of the streams are of importance. Saratoga lake occupies a small part of the northwestern corner of the town. Extending
into the lake is a promontory known as Snake-head hill or Snake hill. At the south end of the lake is a famed mineral
spring, known as the White Sulphur spring. In the southwestern part of the town is a sandy tract interspersed with
The first settlements north of Half-Moon Point, on the west side of the river, aside from those at Schuylerville,
were wade at Stiliwater between 1730 and 1740. Forts had been erected in the town many years before. In 1709 Col.
Peter Philip Schuyler built Fort Ingoldsby near the present site of Stiliwater village. Isaac Mann, who located
in town about 1750, was the first settler of whom anything definite is known. William Mead was an early innkeeper.
Harmanus Schuyler, in 1770, built mills a short distance below the present village of Stillwater.
The industries of the town were greatly benefited by the opening of the Champlain canal, which traverses the eastern
part of the town, running north and south. The Fitchburg railroad enters the town across the bridge at Stillwater,
whence its branches extend southward to Mechanicville, and northwest to the shore of Saratoga lake. An electric
railroad connects Stiliwater and Mechanicville.
Stillwater is the principal village. It is located near the centre of the eastern border of the town on the
bank of the Hudson river. It was originally called Up-town, then Upton, as it was the first and for a long time
the only settlement north of Waterford, excepting Schuylerville. A Presbyterian church and an Episcopal church
were organized before 1800, as was also a Masonic lodge, chartered in 1791, and a well patronized school. The village
was incorporated in 1816. For many years, while Dirck Swart was county clerk, the county clerk's office was in
the village. The first meeting of the board of supervisors of the county was held at his house in 1791. A fire
company was organized and a hand engine purchased in 1875.: Stiliwater academy, founded in 1847, was succeeded
by the present union school system in 1873. The Congregational church, organized at Canaan, Conn., in 1752, removed
to Stiliwater in 1762; the First Baptist church was organized in 1762; the Presbyterian church in 1791; the Second
Baptist church in 1836; the M. E. church in 1857. and the Catholic church in 1874.
The dam in the river at Stillwater furnishes power for a number of enterprises. Newland & Denison established
a knitting mill in 1873; William Mosher and Elihu Allen a paper mill in 1847; Ephraim Newland a hosiery mill in
1873; D. & W. Pemble a straw-board mill in 1866, and Gardner Howland & Sons a paper mill in 1863. The village
now contains a new pulp and paper mill, two knitting mills, a fiouring mill, two card board mills, two saw mills,
a leather-board mill, a shank and counter mill, a dry dock and boat yard.
Mechanicville lies partly in the town. The village is referred to more in detail in the gazetteer of Halfmoon.
Ketchum's Corners is located in the northwest corner of the town. The Presbyterian church there was organized in
1866, and the M. E. church very early in the century. Wayville is a hamlet near by. Bemus Heights, Wilbur's Basin
and Stiliwater Centre are other hamlets in the town.
The clerks of the town of Stillwater for many years have not kept the town records as the law provides, so it is
impossible to give an authentic list of all the officers of .the town. The list of supervisors was obtained from
the county clerk's office. The names of the other town officers, as far as the records show, are also given. The
supervisors have been:
1791, Elias Palmer; 1792, Samuel Bacon; 1793-94, John Bleecker; 1795, Reuben Wright; 1796-98, Cornelius Vandenburgh;
1799-1804. John Hunter; 1805-18, Thomas Morey; 1819-20. Daniel Rogers; 1821-22, George Palmer; 1823, Richard Ketchum;
1824, Daniel Rogers; 1825-33, George Palmer; 1834-37, Richard Ketchum; 1838, Abraham Leggett; 1839-45, Henry E.
Barrett; 1846-48, William Baker; 1849, Abraham Y. Lansing; 1850, Abraham Leggett; 1851, Tyler Dunham; 1852, George
W. Neilson; 1853, Charles Moore; 1854, William Baker; 1855, William Denison; 1856, Philip J.Yowefl; 1857, Edward
Moore; 1858-59, Andrew Hunter: 1860, John W. Buffington; 1861-65, Henry W. Arnold; 1866-67, John T. Baker; 1868-70,
Henry A. Van Wie; 1871-72, John T. Baker; 1873-75, George A. Ensign; 1876, George W. Neilson; 1877, Lyman Smith;
1878, Peter A. Van Wie; 1879-SO, William L. Denison; 1881, Edgar Holmes; 1882-83, Elias Hewitt; 1884-85, Clarence
M. Curtis; 1886- 87, Alfred P. Williams; 1888-89, William B. Nelison; 1890, Hiram Williams; 1891, Herbert 0. Bailey;
1892, Alfred P. Williams; 1893, G. P. H. Taylor; 1894-95, Frank W. Neilson; 1896-97, John C. Baker; 1898, William
The records show the names of the following town clerks:
1795, Henry Davis; 1803, 1806 and 1807, William Seymour; 1809 and 1812, George Palmer; 1820, Charles Nelson; 1821
to 1824, and 1826, William Seymour; 1834-36, Henry E. Barrett; 1837, Samuel F. Pruyn; 1838-1841, Ashbel Palmer;
1842-46, Morgan Munger; 1847, John Patrick; 1848, Archibald C. Tearse; 1849, John Hatfield; 1850-53, Morgan Munger;
1854, Ashbel Palmer; 1855-56, Lyman Smith; 1857, Jared W. Haight: 1858, Joseph Wood; 1859, J. W. Haight; 1860.
Sylvenus Arnold; 1861, George W. Flagler; 1862-68, Ashbel Palmer; 1869-73, Charles C. Neilson; 1874, Joseph Wood;
1875-78, Morey G. Hewitt; 1886-93, Morey G. Hewitt; 1894-97, Frank Stumpf; 1898, Wesley E. Stufflebean. Records
missing, 1788 to 1794, 1796 to 1802, 1804 to 1805, 1808, 1810 to 1811, 1813 to 1819, 1825, 1827 to 1833, and from
1879 to 1886.
The justices of the peace elected by the people, excepting those elected from 1879 to 1886, whose names are not
obtainable, were as follows:
1832, Ashbel Palmer; 1834, Cramer Vernam; 1835, David Benedict; 1836, Ashbel Palmer; 1837, Richard Ketchum; 1838,
Cramer Vernam; 1839, David Benedict; 1840, Ashbel Palmer; 1841, Charles Ensign; 1842, James Bradshaw; 1843, Hiram
A. Ferguson, George S. Finch; 1844, Ashbel Palmer, Alfred Elms; 1845, Samuel Cheever; 1846, John Elmer; 1847, John
W. Neilson; 1848, Daniel Bradt, Thomas S. Gleason; 1849, William Denison; 1850 John Elmer; 1851, Samuel B. Hicks;
1852, Daniel Bradt, Alfred Elms; 1853, Alexander Flanney; 1854. Nathan Taber; 1855, Reuben H. Barber; 1856, Charles
Moore, James Lee; 1857, Alexander W. Davis; 1858, John Elmer; 1859, R. H. Barber; 1860. Daniel Bradt; 1861, Theophilus
Cook; 1862, John Elmer; 1863, R. H. Barber; 1864, Joseph Wood; 1865, Theophilus Cook; 1866, John Elmer; 1867, R.
H. Barber; 1868, Theodore Baker; 1869, Duncan Van Wie; 1870, John Elmer; 1871, R. H. Barber; 1872, Theodore Baker;
1873, Duncan Van Wie; 1874, E. Corning Chase; 1875. R. H. Barber; 1876, David A. Van Wie, Charles Hunt; 1877, William
S. Miller; 1878, Eugene E. Curtis; 1886, Eugene E. Curtis; 1887, Charles Hunt; 1888, David A. Van Wie; 1889 J.
H. Massey; 1890, Eugene E. Curtis; 1891, Charles Hunt; 1892. George Perkins (short term), B. E. Tabor (long term);
1893, Robert C. Baxter; 1894,George Perkins; 1895, Charles Hunt; 1896. B. E. Tabor; 1897, Robert C. Baxter; 1898,
Eugene E. Curtis.