THE TOWN OF STOCKHOLM-ORGANIZED IN 1806.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
STOCKHOLM, the ninth town organized, was one of the original "Ten Townships No 2" It was erected from
Massena jurisdiction by legislative act passed February 21, 1806. It received its name by the surveyors from Stockholm,
Sweden. It retained its original territory until April 9, 1823, when a part was annexed to Norfolk, and on April
15, 1834, another portion was annexed to the same town, and now contains 54,276 acres.
The surface of the town is rolling and is watered by the St. Regis River, and its eastern branch,, which unite
near the eastern border Trout, Plumb and Squeak brooks. The soil is a productive loam, making it one of the best
agricultural districts in the county. The first town meeting was ordered at the home of Dr. Luman Pettibone, but
the date passed without an election, and under the Act of March 7, 1801, Nathan Walker, of Canton, and Gordon Smith
and Benjamin Raymond, of Potsdam (magistrates), appointed the following officers: Supervisor, Ebenezer Hulburd;
clerk, William Staples; assessors, Stephen A. Tambling, Benjamin Wright, and Arba Woodward; constable and collector,
Samuel Webster; overseers of the poor, S. A. Tambling, Luman Pettibone; commissioners of highways, S. A. Tambling,
E. Hulburd, and W. Webster; fence viewers, S. A. Tambling and B. Wright; overseer of highways, E. Hulburd; pound
master, E. Hulburd.
Settlements in the territory of this town began a few years previous to its formation, when Dr. Lurnan Pettibone,
in the summer of 1800, came into the town as an agent for the proprietor, Mr. McVickers, made preparations for
himself and others to follow. In that and the following years several families came in. Ebenezer Hulburd was the
next agent, and in 1802 he and Dr. Pettibone, with Benjamin Wright, Isaac Kelsey, Abram Sheldon, and a few others,
came to the town, and on the 7th of March, 1803, seven families arrived, six of whom were from Orwell, Vt., and
made permanent settlements. There were, besides the above, William Staples, John and Robert Bisbee. They came by
way of Chateaugay and the St. Regis. In September, 1804, a tremendous freshet so swelled that river that four of
the seven families were corn pelled to fly from their homes, which were devastated. Samuel and Warren Webster,
brothers, of Orwell, Vt., began clearing their purchases of 105 acres each on lots 44 and 45 in 1805, and the following
year brought in their families. In 1806 Isaac Marsh came from Sharon, Vt., and settled on 200 acres of lot 65.
Luther Hulburd settled on lot 33, and members of that family have always been prominent in the town. Other early
settlers (mostly from Vermont) were Stephen A. Tambling, Daniel Harrington (father of G. W. Harrington), Amos Bicknell,
long a prominet citizen, Simeon Nash, Zephaniah French, A. Woodward, John Graves, Aipheus Johnson, Josiah L. Hill,
Ralph P. Stearns, Reuben Kelsey, and Harvey Thatcher. The latter, with George Streight, John Partridge, Eldad Taylor,
Stiles Nelson, Martin Doud, Nathan Osborn (who succeeded Dr. Pettibone as proprietor's agent in the west part of
the town), Clark and Warren T. Phippen, A. S. Tucker, and others, located in the western part. In the southern
part located Shubel Gurley, George A. Flower, Parley and Delos DustIn, Joseph Merrill, John McNeal, Anthony Thomas,
Allen Lyman (who removed to West Stockholm), Canton Wires, John Simonds, Jonathan Emery, Oliver Osgood, Samuel
and Levi Corey, Dr. Hosea Brooks (the first physician in that section), Benjamin Reeve and Morgan Marsh. Samuel
Newton, who served in the War of 1812, settled in town in 1815. Ira Lewis came in 1828. Members of many of these
families have been instrumental in aiding to build up the several communities.
The first white child born in this town was William Bisbee, son of John Bisbee, in 1803; the second was Julius,
son of Ebenezer Hulburd, April 20, 1803. The first marriage was that of Alba Woodward, and A.lmira, daughter of
Dr. Lurnan Pettibone, July 20, 1808. Ebenezer Hulburd taught the first school in the winter of 1807. Dr. Pettibone
was the first physician, but practiced very little. Dr. Lemuel Winslow, who came in 1811, was the first to devote
himself to his practice. Previous to 1811 the settlers went to mill, chiefly in Hopkinton (where a mill was built
in 1804), to Canada, or to what is flOW Madrid, but in the first year named Amos Bicknell built a grist mill at
what became known as "Bickneyville," now West Stockholm, where a mill has ever since been operated. Samuel
Reynolds, who owned a large tract of land not fan from the east village, built a saw mill in 1804, the first one
in the town.
The number of settlers had largely increased by the opening of the War of 1812, but that event caused a great deal
of consternation in anticipation of Indian excursions, and a number of families fled, while others adopted measures
for self-protection. Stockades were build around the dwelling of Dr. Pettibone and partly around that of Warren
Webster, a little east of the center of the town Here the inhabitants assembled on occasions of alarm, but the
defences were fortunately not needed. After the close of the war a portion of those who left the country never
returned, and others came back to witness the waste and destruction which their own folly and neglect had brought
upon them. Settlements again became active, and the clearing of farms and the progress of agriculture has been
unchecked to the present time. The dairying industry has been greatly developed in recent years, and now butter-making
is the principal occupation of the farmers, through the agency of a large number of factories.
The history of St. Lawrence county in its relation to the great War of the Rebellion has been given in an earlier
chapter. As far as this town is concerned in meeting the calls of the government for men and material means, the
same energetic and liberal efforts were made that characterized every town in the county. Bounties continued to
be advanced from $50 until near the close of the war they reached a total of nearly $1,000 for each volunteer.
The vacant places in many homes afterwards testified to the loyalty and heroism of the people of the town.
The town records for a number of years at first show that the place was overrun by ravenous beasts. At various
times bounties were offered from five dollars to twenty dollars on panthers and wolves. The bounty tax for several
years was much larger than the poor tax on the town. Deer were also very plentiful, and venison was the principal
meat used by the settlers for a number of years.
Following is a list of the supervisors of the town from its formation, with years of their services Ebenezer Hulburd,
1806, Simeon Nash, 1807; Zephaniah French, 1808-9; Stephen A. Tambling, 1810-11; Warren Webster, 1812-13; Nathaniel
F. Winslow, 1814-22; Cliauncey Pettibone, at a special meeting in 1823; Chauncey Pettibone, 1823-29; Shiveric Holmes,
1830-32, Joseph Sanford, 1833; Benjamin Holmes, 1834; William P. Osborne, 1835-36; Joseph H. Sanford, 1837-38;
Dorus Pettibone, 1839; Thomas Dunton, 1840; J. H. Sanford, 1841-42; Ziba L. Smith, 1843-45; Sidney Kelsey, 1846;
B. Holmes, 1847; Allen Lyman, 1848-49; Daniel P. Rose, 1850-51; Hiram Hulburd, 1852-55; Harvey Merrill, 1856; Daniel
Shaw, 1857-59; Hiram Hulburd, 1860-63; Ira Hale, 1864-65; Hiram Hulburd, 1867; Philo Abbott, 1868; George N. Culver,
1869; Jason W. Stearns, 1870 (died in office, and E. S. Crapser was appointed to complete term); E. S. Crapser.
1870-79; B. N. Burnap, 1880-1; James W. Culver, 1882-85; S H. Stearns, 1886-89; John S. Thompson, 1890-91; John
W. Morrison, 1892-94.
West Stockholm.- This pretty village is situated in the southwest part of the town, on the west branch
of the St. Regis, and has been locally known as "Bickneyville," from Amos Bicknell, the pioneer, whose
settlement and building of the mills has been mentioned. Other settlers on or near the village site were Luman
Newell, Roswell and Stiles Nelson, Thomas and Benjamin Knowlton, Benjamin Bisbee, Martin Doud, John Thatcher, Abner
Dodge, Eli Parkwell, Samuel Culver and others.
About 1815 a road was opened by Mr. Pierrepont, proprietor, from Parisbville to Norfolk, which became a very important
thoroughfare for transporting potash and produce through to the navigable waters of the Raquette River. It became
known as the "Market Road," and eventually passed near Bicknell's mills, though originally laid out a
mile east of the settlement.
The mills established by Mr. Bicknell have been rebuilt, and are now operated by George W. Gibson. In 1815 a carding
mill was established by Mr. Bicknell. which, after numerous changes, was converted into a woolen factory, and is
now operated by Robert Stafford. A foundry and machine shop was started in 1846 by Carlton Smith, which he conducted
many years; it is now in the hands of Eugene Smith. A butter tub factory is carried on by Levi Wellington, and
a shingle mill by George W. Gibson, and the latter also runs a starch factory. The merchants of the place are H.
D. Pinney, George W. Gibson and Carl Wellington. Mrs. Myra Trussell is postmistress.
Winthrop.- This is the name of the village formerly called "Stockholm," or "Stockholm Depot,"
situated on the O. & L. C. Railroad, near the confluence of the east and west branches of the St. Regis. The
first settler here was Isaac Kelsey. The post office was not established until 1852, when Philo Abbott was appointed
postmaster. The first store was opened in 1850 by Culver Stearns. Daniel Shaw soon afterward began business and
continued many years; he was one of the most prominent citizens. Ebenezer S. Crapser, now residing on Ogden's Island
(see history of Waddington), formerly was a prominent business man here, and manufactured lumber, shingles, statch,
etc., and carried on the mills at Brasher Falls. The mercantile business of the place is now represented by E.
M. Shaw (who is also postmaster), E. F. Russell, J. W. Morrison, J. W. White, G. H. Russell, A. D. Miller. There
are also the usual village shops. The hotel is kept by C. C. Corey. Besides the two villages just described, there
are no less than six other hamlets and post-offices in the town of Stockholm. They are as follows:
Southville (or South Stockholm), situated on the southern line of the town. The first settlers in this locality
were Shubel Gurley, Daniel Harrington, Dr. Hosea Brooks, John L. Mayhew and others. The first post-office was established
in 1825, with Dr. Brooks, postmaster; he also kept a store. There has never been much business here. One of the
numerous butter factories is in operation here, and Mrs. Henry M. J arvis is postmistress.
Skinnerville.- This hamlet is situated on the St. Regis River, one mile and a half west of Winthrop. A grist
mill and a shingle mill have been operated here many years and are now in possession of M. D. Smith. A saw mill
is operated by E. M. Shaw. A tannery and a starch factory, formerly operated here, are now closed.
Stockholm (or East Stockholm).- On the site of this hamlet the first settlement in the town was made by
Dr. Luman Pettibone and Ebenezer Hulburd. A store was conducted here many years, and a saw mill, with several shops.
There is no business here now, and Mrs. L C. Burnap is postmistress.
Buckton (Buck's Corners).- This hamlet received its name from Asahel Buck, who settled here about 1825.
The saw mill built here in early years and a small grist mill are conducted by H. P. Riggs. A starch factory formerly
carried on has been abandoned. A butter factory is now in operation, and H. H. Burroughs has a store and is postmaster.
Knapp's Station (North Stockholm P. O.).- Moses Knapp settled here in 1828, an.d when the O. & L. C.
Railroad was built the place took its name. The post-office was established at that time, and E. L. Brush is now
postmaster. Mr. Knapp built a steam saw mill in 1863, but the business has been abandoned.
Brookdale (Scotland).- This locality was settled by John Grandy. A saw mill formerly in operation here has
been abandoned. Joseph W. Brothers is postmaster and has a store.
Stockholm Center.- A little hamlet has existed here for many years, and a post office is now in charge of
Mrs. Ann C. Ainger.
A small settlement on the St. Regis, below West Stockholm, with former saw mills and shops, is known as Sanfordville;
but the business interests of the place have been abandoned, excepting a shingle mill.
Churches.- The first religious meetings were held in this town by the settlers assembling in private houses
in 1803. Elder Webster, a Baptist, from Orwell, Vt., soon after preached a short time to them. In 1806 Rev. Amos
Pettingill held services a few weeks, and in the next year Rev. E. Hibbard spent a few Sundays with the people,
resulting in the formation of a Congregational church at East Stockholm, with seven members, consisting of Dr.
Luman Pettibone and wife, and Almira, their daughter, Stephen A. Tamblin and wife, Miss Eleanor Nash, and Mrs.
Rosalinda Murray, at the house of Ebenezer Hulburd, March 10, 1807. Meetings at first were held in barns in the
summer and private houses in the winter season. They were supplied until 1813, when Rev. Hiram S. Johnson was employed
to preach half of the time until 1819, when the Rev. Moses Parmalee succeeded him and served them until 1824, holding
services most of the time in school houses. In 1829 a church was erected, and it became known as the White Church.
On June 6, 1837, the society was incorporated, with Sidney Kelsey, Ashbel Skinner and Calvin T. Hulburd, trustees.
This building was used until a few years ago, when it was taken down and rebuilt at Winthrop, where it is now in
a prosperous condition, with a membership of between 200 and 300. Rev. F. Hassold is the pastor.
A second Congregational church was formed at West Stockholm about 1823 with five members, Rev. Roswell Pettibone
being their first pastor. A church edifice was erected in 1831, at a cost of $1,800, principally through the influence
and means of J. H. Sanford. The society retained its organization about thirty six years.
The Methodist Episcopal church of West Stockholm was formed in 1828, succeeding a class which was in existence
before that time. The "Parishville circuit" was formed September 21, 1828, and in August, 1833, the name
was changed to "Hopkinton circuit," with Rev. J. W. Barney as pastor. The society was incorporated November
19, 1840, with Loren Ashley, Ziba Smith, Ruel Lincoln, Roswell B. Webb, Horace Doud, Martin Strait, Henry B, Sumner,
Norman Ashley and Joseph Page, trustees. The present pastor is Rev. C. F. Allen, who also preaches at Buckton,
where the church was organized January 10, 1872, by Rev. A. F. Bigelow, and placed in the Fort Jackson charge.
A brick church was built the same year, at a cost of $3,500. The membership is about 100.
The First Episcopal Methodist church at North Stockholm (Knapp's Station) was organized in February, 1865, with
about fifty members. A church was built in 1867, at a cost of $2,800. Rev. J. W. Simpson was called to preach for
them, coming from Norwood, where he also serves a church.
An Episcopal Methodist church was formed at Brookdale in the spring of 1867, and a house erected during the summer
following, which was used a few years only. There has been no pastor or meetings held in several years, and the
organization is substantially extinct.
Wesleyan Methodist.- The first Wesleyan Methodist church of East Stockholm was organized in the summer of 1843
with eight members. The society was incorporated October 11, 1852, and in the following year a house of worship
was erected at a cost of $1,350.
A Wesleyan Methodist church was also organized at North Stockholm in the fall of 1843, and a church erected in
1867 at a cost of $1,500.
A Wesleyan Methodist church was formed at Buckton some years ago, but it has no pastor at the present time.
A Wesleyan Methodist church at Brookdale was organized in 1844-45, and a church erected about that time. A parsonage
was built in 1858-59. and the property is worth about $2,800. Rev A. E. Moses is the present pastor, and the membership
is about fifty-five.
A Wesleyan Methodist Society in East Stockholm was incorporated October 11, 1852, with Ira Beach, Stiliman Austin,
Elias Jenkins, Hugh Allen and James Kelsey, trustees. A church was erected not long after, and services have been
kept up with tolerable regularity. At the present time there is no pastor over the society.
The First Baptist church of Stockholm, at "Stockholm Center," was organized prior to 1812, and was incorporated
May 25, 1822, with P. Stearns, Warren Webster, and Luther Fuller, trustees. The church has subsequently died out.
A Free-Will Baptist Church was organized in June, 1839, by Elder Samuel Hart, at Stockholm. The society was not
very numerous, which soon became scattered, and finally became absorbed by other churches.
A Universalist church was incorporated at Winthrop on March 26, 1888, over which Rev. L. W. Coons is the pastor.
The society built a church in the spring and summer of 1888, at a cost of $2,850, including furniture. The membership
is twenty. nine. The officers of the society were Delos D. Kelsey, moderator; H. W. Stearns, clerk; Spencer H.
Stearns, treasurer; Philo A. Davis, Jesse P. Sawin, and Isaac W. Thomas, trustees.