History of Truxton, New York
GAZETTEER and BUSINESS DIRECTORY
OF CORTLAND COUNTY, N. Y. FOR 1869.
COMPILED and PUBLISHED BY HAMILTON CHILD, SYRACUSE, NY 1869
TRUXTON, named in honor of Commodore Thomas Truxton, was formed from Fabius, April
8; 1808, and embraced the south half of that military township. The north four tiers of lots of Solon were annexed
April 4, 1811. Cuyler was formsed from the east part of the town, November 18, 1858. It lies upon the north border
of the County, east of the center. The surface is chiefly a broken upland, divided into ridges which have a northerly
and southerly direction. The east branch of the Tioughnioga River enters the town near the center of the east border
and flows westerly until it reaches near the center, then south-westerly until it leaves the town. The other streams
are its tributaries, Westcott and Stewart Brook, and Labrador Creek, from the north; and Cheningo Creek and Trout
Brook from the south. The Truxton Hills are the highest in the County. Nearly the whole surface north of the river
is divided by sharp ridges with steep declivities. Labrador Pond, upon the north border, is noted for the wild
and picturesque scenery which surrounds it. Tinker's Falls is a beautiful cascade upon a small brook that flows
into the outlet of this pond from the east. The soil is chiefly a gravelly loam, well adapted to grazing.
The first settlement was made in 1793 by Samuel Benedict, on lot 12. The next year Jonah Stiles and Christopher
Whitney came in and located. Stiles was from Vermont and located on lot 4, and Whitney on lot 3. John Shedd, Nathaniel
E. James and Charles Stewart, came in during the year 1797; the first two located on lot 63, the last on lot 93.
In 1798 Robert McNight and John Jeffrey, from New Jersey, located on lot 2, and Billy Trowbridge, from Westchester
County, on lot 5. Mr. T. was a member of the Legislature for two terms, held the office of Sheriff one term, and
was elected to several other county offices. Increase M. Hooker, a native of Vermont, settled on lot 94 in 1798;
he had previously spent one year in Solon. He was a soldier of the Revolution and was present at the battle of
Bennington and other conflicts during that war. John Miller, from Dutchess County, located on lot 93 in 1801, and,
Hugh and William Stewart, from Massachusetts, on lot 4 in 1803. Other early settlers were Zebulon and Judah Pierce,
Deacon James Bell and Asa Babcock.