History of Gardiner, NY
FROM: Gazetteer and Business Directory
Of Ulster County, N. Y. For 1872-2.
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child, Syracuse, NY 1871

GARDINER was formed from Rochester, new Paltz and Shawangunk, April 2, 1853. It was named in honor of Addison Gardiner, formerly Lieut. Governor. It is an interior town, lying south of the center of the County. The surface is rolling in the east and hilly in the west and center. The Shawangunk Mountains extend along the west border. “The Traps” is a deep gully, 650 feet wide, extending through the mountains. The Wallkill flows north-east through near the center, and receives the Shawangunk from the south-west. The soil is chiefly a gravelly loam, with clay and alluvium along the streams. Lumber and leather are manufactured to some extent. The Wallkill Valley R.R., extends through the town.

Tuthill, (p.v.) on the Shawangunk Creek, about a mile west of Gardiner Station, on the W.V.R.R., contains two hotels, a store, a school house, a grist mill, a saw mill, a carding and fulling mill, a harness shop, a wagon shop and sixteen dwellings.

Jenkinstown, named from James Jenkins, who built the mills about 1794-5, is in the north-east part of the town, on the Plattekill, and contains two grist mills, a saw mill, a store, a blacksmith shop, a cooper shop and forty inhabitants.

The Sole Leather Tannery of F.S. McKinstry, on the Shawangunk Creek, has a capacity for making 7,000 sides annually.

Libertyville, (p.v.) in the north part of the town, on the Wallkill, contains a store, a hotel, a blacksmith shop, a grist mill, a saw mill and 46 inhabitants.

Rutsonville is a hamlet in the south-east part.

Gardiner Station, on the W.V.R.R., contains a hotel and a store.

Forest Glen is a station on the W.V.R.R., in the north part of the town

The first settlement was made by a colony of French Huguenots at a very early day. Jacobus Bruyn was one of the early settlers. The house now occupied by john V. McKinstry, and situated on the west bank of the Shawangunk Creek, was built by him in 1824, as appears from a block of marble containing the following inscription:

“Time is a devourer of all things.”
“Virtue is a driver away of all vices.”

There is only one church in the town.

The Reformed Church of Guilford was organized July 20, 1833, with 23 members. A house of worship was erected the same year, and was enlarged and improved in 1859. It will seat 350 and is valued at $4,000. The present membership is 69. The first pastor was Rev. Wm. Brush; the present pastor is Rev. Richard DeWitt.

The population of the town in 1870 was 1,991, and its area 26,257, with an assessed value of $466,830.

There are nine school districts, employing the same number of teachers. The number of children of school age is 813, the number attending school, 465; the average attendance, 198; the value of the school houses and sites, $4,730.

Return to [ NY History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

NY Counties - Albany - Allegany - Broome - Cayuga - Chatauqua - Chenango - Clinton - Columbia - Cortland - Erie - Essex - Franklin - Fulton - Genesee - Herkimer - Jefferson - Lewis - Livingston - Madison - Montgomery - Niagara - Oneida - Onondaga - Ontario - Orange - Orleans - Oswego - Putnam - Queens - Rensselaer - Richmond - Rockland - St. Lawrence - Saratoga - Schenectady - Steuben - Suffolk - Tioga - Tompkins - Tryone - Ulster - Washington - Wayne - Yates

All pages copyright 2003-2012. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy