History of Hardenburgh, NY
FROM: Gazetteer and Business Directory
Of Ulster County, N. Y. For 1872-2.
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child, Syracuse, NY 1871
HARDENBURGH, was named in honor of Johannes Hardenburgh, the patentee of a large tract in this and adjoining counties, was formed from Denning and Shandaken, April 15, 1859. It lies in the extreme west corner of the County. The surface is a broken and mountainous upland, the highest summits being 2,000 feet above tide. It occupies a portion of the watershed between the Hudson and Delaware. Beaverkill, Mill Brook and Dry Brook take their rise in the town.
Dry Brook (p.o.) is a hamlet. Turnwood and Hardenburgh are post offices.
The population of the town in 1870 was 629, and its area 48,187 acres, with an assessed value of $39,971.
There are seven school districts, employing the same number of teachers. The number of children of school age is 314; the number attending school, 274; the average attendance, 99, and the value of school houses and sites, $2,070.