History of Depeyster, NY
FROM: Gazetteer and Business Directory
Of Ulster County, N. Y. For 1872-2.
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child, Syracuse, NY 1871
KINGSTON was incorporated by patent, May 19, 1667, and was recognized as a town, May 1, 1702. It was called by the Indians Atkankarten. Fox Hall Patent was annexed March 12, 1787. Esopus and Saugerties were taken off in 1811; a part of Esopus was annexed in 1818, and a part was annexed to Saugerties in 1832. It lies upon the Hudson, north of the center of the County. Its surface is broken and hilly, the highest summit being Kuykuyt or Lookout Mountain, about 600 feet above tied. Esopus Creek flows north-east through near the center, receiving Sawkill as a tributary from the west. Rondout Creek forms the south-east boundary. The soil is principally a clayey loam. An extensive business in coal, ice, stone and brick, is carried on by the river and Delaware and Hudson Canal, which terminates here.
Kingston, (p.v.) pleasantly situated on Esopus Creek, about two miles west of the Hudson, was incorporated April 6, 1805. The surrounding scenery is beautiful, the streets are well laid out, nicely shaded and have good flagstone walks. It contains nine churches, viz., two Reformed, two Methodist, Baptist, Episcopal, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic and Colored; four banks, four newspaper offices, several manufacturing establishments of various kinds, a large number of hotels, stores, & c., and about 8,000 inhabitants. Many of the churches are very fine. It is a station on the Rondout and Oswego Railroad and is destined soon to be the terminus of the Wallkill Valley Railroad, which is already being graded in the outskirts of the village. It is connected with Rondout and the Hudson River by a Horse Railroad, and by stages with this and other towns.
The Public Schools of the village, consisting of the consolidated districts 5, 8, 11 and 15 are under the management of a Board of Education. They are graded, and with the Kingston Academy for the highest grades, afford facilities for the study of all the branches usually taught in first-class academies. From the last Report, dated August 28, 1871, we learn that the number of pupils in the Academy during the past year has been sixty-five; the average number per term has been fifty-two. The whole number enrolled in the other departments was 1,092, with an average daily attendance of 1,000. The number of volumes in the libraries is 1,261. The number of teachers employed is about 25. The amount expended for salaries of teachers and superintendent is $16,407.82, and the whole amount expended for school purposes, $24,720.63.
The Excelsior Iron Works of Blackwell, Gross & Co., are extensive, and manufacture everything in the machine line, from a steam engine to the simplest castings.
Rondout, *(p.v.) situated on the Hudson, at the mouth of Rondout Creek, was incorporated April 4, 1849. It was formerly known as The Strand and Kingston Landing, and for a time as Bolton, in honor of the president of the Delaware and Hudson Canal Co. The surface is very uneven and the streets laid out with little regard to regularity. It is a thriving business place and has a greater tonnage than any other place on the river above New York. More than thirty steamers are owned here, many of which, as well as a large number of barges and sailing vessels, are engaged in the transportation of stone, coal, cement, brick & c. Regular steamers ply between this place, New York and intermediate points. A steam ferry connects it with Rhinebeck on the Hudson River Railroad, and another with Sleightsburg. A Horse Railroad connects it with Kingston. It contains ten churches, viz., Methodist, Presbyterian, Baptist, Episcopal, Lutheran, two Roman Catholic and two Jewish; three banks, two newspaper offices, three public schools, several manufactories and about 10,000 inhabitants.
Union Free School District No. 13 includes the east part of the village, and is in charge of a Board of Education consisting of three members. The house is large, convenient and well furnished. The number of teachers employed is seven, with a n average attendance of 300 pupils. The amount expended by the district for school purposes last year was $4,509.56. District No. 10 employs two teachers, average attendance about 150. District No. 7 has just erected a very fine school house in a conspicuous place, overlooking the village, at an expense of over $32,000, including lot and furniture. A part of the building was occupied on the first of February, 1871.
Footnote: * “ The Dutch word “Ronduit” means, literally, a small fort or redoubt. The original name, slightly varied, still designates the place. The Dutch “Ronduit” is now Rondout. In pronunciation these words have a strong resemblance, which perhaps accounts for the alteration in the spelling. Those therefore err who say that the present name is a corruption of the word redoubt. It is, with the variation already stated, the name originally given to the place.” - Hist. N. Netherland, Vol. 2, p. 357.]
The village is the eastern terminus of the Rondout and Oswego Railroad.
The most important manufacturing establishment is that of The Newark Lime and Cement Manufacturing Company. The extensive business now under the control of this Company was originated and established at Newark, N.J., in the year 1830, by Calvin Tomkins, Esq., of that city, now of Tomkins Cove, Rockland co, N.Y. Some five years subsequently, he associated with him as partners several gentlemen, and the firm was known as Tomkins, Hedden & Co. ON the 20th of February, 1840, by an Act of the Legislature of the State of New Jersey, these gentlemen, their associates and successors, were incorporated under their present name of the Newark Lime and Cement Manufacturing Company. At that time their business, as now, was the manufacture of Masons' and Farmers' Lim, Ground and Calcined Plaster and Hydraulic Cement, and was wholly prosecuted at Newark, the stone from which the Cement was made being obtained from Rondout, N.Y., where they held a quarry under a lease. On the 1st day of July 1844, the Company purchased from the trustees of the Hon. Abraham Hasbrouck, nearly 40 acres of land, including the quarry they had formerly leased, and a water front on the channel of the Rondout Creek. They have subsequently, from time to time, made other purchases till they now own about 250 acres of land at and near the village of Rondout. The manufacture of Cement was still confined to the works at Newark, until 1849, the demand for their Cement became so extensive, the directors decided to erect a manufactory at Rondout; and in the spring of 1850, the foundation of the works at that place was laid, and the work of building was prosecuted under the supervision of Calvin Tomkins, Esq., according to plans he had devised. In the spring of 1851, the works, although not completed, were in such a state of forwardness that the work of manufacturing was commended, and has been actively carried on from that time forward, increasing in the quantity produced each year, till 1869, when the amount mad at the Rondout Manufactory alone was 227,516 barrels. The works consist mainly of twenty-one kilns for burning the stone, two mill buildings in which are fourteen runs of 3-feet stones, four extensive storehouses, capable of storing upwards of 20,000 barrels, a cooperage establishment, millwrights', wheelwrights', blacksmiths', and carpenters' shops, commodious barns for storing hay and other crops of the farm, with extensive stables connected, and several buildings of a less important nature. They have also a well filled store in connection with the works. The stone from which the Cement is made, is quarried from the hill immediately in the rear of the manufactory, and is obtained by tunneling and sinking shafts, from which extend galleries in the stratum of cement rock, which inclines to the north-west, although at some points is it nearly vertical and at others almost horizontal. An extensive system of railways, passing through tunnels and over inclined planes, affords facilities for transporting the stone from the quarries to the top of the kilns, where it is burned by being mixed with culm or fine coal, and is passed by a series of descents through the various stages of manufacture till it arrives in barrels at the wharf ready for shipment. The motive power for driving the mills and other machinery attached, is supplied by a 200 horse power beam-engine; that for the cooperage, which has a capacity of 700 barrels per day, by an engine of 20 horse power. As the Cement manufactured often exceeds 1,000 barrels per day, the deficiency in barrels is supplied from the stock accumulated during the season when navigation is closed, and the manufacture of Cement necessarily suspended. The number of men employed varies from 250 to 300.
The permanent manner in which the works are constructed, and their superior adaptation to the business carried on, is not exceeded by any work of the kind in the country. The cement made by this Company has the highest reputation throughout the United States, and is extensively used on fortifications and other Government works requiring solidity and strength. It was used on the Croton, Cochituate, Albany, Washington and other water works. It is also extensively used in making drain pipe. It finds a ready market in every portion of the seaboard, from New Brunswick to Texas. It has been exported to California and South America, and is largely used in and around New York, Boston and Philadelphia, upon public and private buildings where strength and permanency in construction are desired. The general management of the business at Rondout, since the commencement of the works at that place, had been by the agent of the Company, James G. Lindsley, Esq. The principal Office of the Company is at Newark, N.J., where the manufacture of Plaster, Lime and Ground Marble is prosecuted. The Directors of the Company at present are Walter Tomkins, President; Samuel C. Jones, Secretary; Calvin Tomkins, James G. Lindsley, Edward Tompkins, George Brown, Joseph T. Tomkins.
Wiltwyck is a small village connecting Rondout and Kingston.
Wilbur, (p.v.) on Rondout Creek, about a mile above Rondout, is a great shipping point of blue stone, amounting to about a million and a half dollars annually. Many acres of the most beautiful flagstones await shipment. Though about 25 vessels of 150 to 200 tons are constantly employed in transporting the stone to New York and other cities, the quantity on hand is scarcely diminished on account of the hundreds of loads daily coming in from the surrounding country. S. & W.B. Fitch are among the largest dealers in blue stone. The village contains a Union church, two hotels, three stores, a blacksmith shop, four dealers in blue stone, two ice houses, a flouring mill, a manufactory of lime, a tannery, a mill for planning and polishing stone, two coal yards, a lumber yard, bone dust manufactory and about 1,000 inhabitants.
Eddyville, (Fly Mountain p.o.) on the west side of Rondout Creek, contains a Methodist church, 12 stores, a hotel, Lawrence Cement Factory, Newark & Rosendale Cement Works, and about 400 inhabitants. It is the terminus of the Delaware and Hudson Canal.
Brick is manufactured extensively along the Hudson River, above the mouth of Rondout Creek. Among the companies largely engaged in this business are the following, viz., J.H. Cordets & Co., Albert Terry & Brother, George W. Nickerson & Son, Palmer J. Guinee & Co., and John Streeters & Co.
East Kingston is a new and thriving village on the Hudson, about three miles above Rondout, and about the same distance from Kingston. It contains a store, the Hudson River Cement works, the ice-houses of the New York City Ice Co. and of the Washington Ice Co.
The Hudson River Cement Works, of E.M. Brigham, located at this place, turn out about 150,000 barrels annually. Their principal quarry is at Creek Locks, though they obtain some of their stone from the hill in rear of their works. The manufacture of cement was first commenced here in 1857 by the Rosendale & Kingston Cement Co. Mr. Brigham, the present proprietor, has enlarged the works and has been carrying on the business for several years.
Dutch Settlement, in the north part of the town, contains two churches, Reformed and Roman Catholic; two stores, a blacksmith shop and about 300 inhabitants.
Stony Hollow is a station on the R. & O.R.R., on the west border of the town.
The scenery as viewed from many points in this town is exceedingly fine. That from the residence of Mr. Henry A. Stone, about two miles from the villages, is one of the finest. The Catskills, Shawangunk, Huzzy's Hill, Dutchess Co. and the Hudson's Valley, all appearing in view from different points of the compass.
The first settlement of this town was made by the Dutch in 1614, by building a fort and trading post on the present site of Rondout. This fort is said to have stood in a part of the village known as Ponkhockie. It was not until 1652-3 that any permanent settlers took up land in that quarter, and then for several years they were subjected to the attacks of hostile Indians. On the 16th of May, 1661, Gov. Stuyvesant granted the settlement a charter, under the name of Wiltwyck, by which “a subaltern court of justice” was organized “as far as possible and the situation of the country will permit in conformity with the customs of the city of Amsterdam in Holland, but so, that from all judgments an appeal may be made to the Director-General and Council in New Netherland, who shall reserve the power to give their final decision.” There were to “be chosen a judges, honest intelligent persons, possessing real estate, peaceable men, good subjects to their Lords and Patroons, and the high administration appointed by them, professors of the Reformed religion as it is now preached in the United Netherlandish churches, in conformity to the word of God and the orders of the synod of Dordrecht.” This Court consisted of a Sheriff and three Schepens. Roeloff Swartwout was the first Sheriff, and Evert Pels, Cornelis Barentsen Sleght and Elbert Heymans Roose, the Schepens. All cases involving fifty gilders or less were not subject to appeal. The Sheriff and Commissioners were directed “to hold their court in the village aforesaid, every fortnight-harvest time excepted - unless necessity or occasion might otherwise require.” All criminal cases were referred directly to the Director-General and Council in New Netherland, but “Lesser crimes as quarrels, injuries, scolding, kicking, beating, threatenings, simply drawing a knife or sword without assault or bloodshed, are left to the judicature and decision of the aforesaid court in which cases the Sheriff may act as plaintiff before said court, with reservation of the clause of appeal, if the condemned fell himself aggrieved by the decision of said court. * * * *
All criminals and delinquents guilty of wounding, bloodshed, fornication, adultery, public and notorious thefts, robberies, smuggling or contraband, blasphemy, violating God's holy name and religion, injuring and slandering the Supreme Magistrates or their representatives, shall with the informations, affidavits and witnesses, be referred to the Director-General and Council of New Netherland.”
After sundry other provisions the charter closes in these words:
“Whereas it is customary in our Fatherland and other well regulated Governments that annually some change takes place in the magistracy, so that some new ones are appointed, and some are continued to inform the newly appointed, so shall the Schepens now confirmed pay due attention to the conversation, conduct and abilities of honest and decent persons, inhabitants of their respective village, to inform the Director-general and Council about the time of the next election, as to who might be sufficiently qualified to be then selected by the Director-general and Council. Done and given by the Director-general and Council, at their meeting in Fort Amsterdam, in New Netherland, this 6th day of May, 1661.”
On the 7th of June, 1663, as most of the people were at work in the fields, and the gates of the village were open, the Indians mad a sudden attack, plundering, burning, murdering and carrying into captivity, sparing neither age nor sex. The settlers rallied under Captain Thomas Chambers, routed the Indians and, with the aid of other settlements, commenced a war that resulted in the destruction of the power of the Indians and in nearly exterminating them. In the attack on the village, eighteen were killed and forty-two were carried into captivity. Many of the latter were recovered. The settlement was disturbed more or less by Indians, for several years, but gradually became established in the arts of peace, and ultimately a prosperous settlement.
Captain Thomas Chambers first came to this country as a farmer, under the first Patroon Rensselaerwyck, and settled on the present site of Troy. He removed in 1652 to Esopus, (Kingston) where he accumulated, by commercial and other speculations, large parcels of land. On the 16th of October, 1672, an order was issued by Gov. Lovelace, setting forth that Capt. Thomas Chambers, a Justice of the Peace at Esopus, hath done signal and notable service in the time of the wars against the Indians; and having by his industry acquired a considerable estate, and having among the rest a mansion house not far from Kingston, with a great tract of land thereunto belong, which said house is made defensive against any sudden incursion of the Indians or others, in acknowledgement of those services, and in part recompense thereof, the said house and lands were erected into the Manor of Foxhall. This grant was confirmed in October, 1681, by Gov. Dongan, who invested the Manor with Power to hold Court Leet and
Court Baron; to appoint a steward to try causes arising between the vassals; and granted also all waifs, strays, felon's property; &c., to the lord, with right of advowson and patronage to such church as he may establish on his premises. For fear that his name might become extinct of his Manor broker up, he established by his last will a most intricate entail. In spite of all precaution however, his Manor has disappeared.
On the 16th of October, 1777, the British fleet under General Vaughan, came to anchor near the mouth of Rondout Creek, and meeting but little resistance, the troops soon landed and proceeded to the village of Kingston, which they burnt. At this time there were but three houses at the present site of Rondout, all of which were burnt. Most of the houses were of stone. The people fled in hast with such things as they could carry. From the diary of col. Abraham Hasbrouck, as quoted in the Ulster Historical Collections, we find the following:
“1777. Oct. 16. Then the enemy under the command of General Henry Clinton and Genearl Vaughan, came to Kingston, in Esopus, and burnt my dwelling houses, barn, cider house or store house, and another barn, wagon house at my late dwelling house, and also a small out-kitchen which was left standing when my dwelling house was burnt down the 23d of October 1776, and the enemy burnt all the houses, barns, (except one house and barn,) in the town, church and county house likewise, laid everything in a rubbish of ashes, fences and everything they came to, and they conveyed with them one negro man named Henry, two negro wenches, Nancy and Flora, and destroyed all my household goods and furniture, and my library of books. My loss I sustained this time, I compute no less than £5,000 at least.”
The enemy, after burning the town, made a hasty retreat to their vessels and escaped.
By a resolution of the Provincial Convention, passed December 21, 1775, the Ulster County jail became the Jail of Congress. Johannes Sleght, Chairman of the Kingston Committee, in a letter written on the 8th of July, 1776, tells the Provincial Congress that “it is well known that our town has for a long time been crowded (and is yet) with a set of ministerial cutthroats, regular officers and soldiers sent here as prisoners.” On the 31st of January, 1776, a report was made to the Convention, that if it should move to Kingston “fifty members may obtain good accommodations. That the price will be twenty shillings per week. That the Court House or a large room in said building will be convenient for the Convention to meet in.”
The following curious preamble and resolution was passed March 18,1777:
“Whereas from the past want of care of the prisoners now confined in the jail immediately underneath the Convention Chamber, the same is supposed to have become unwholesome, and very nauseous and disagreeable effluvia arises, which may endanger the health of the members of this Convention. Therefore
“Resolved, that for the preservation of their health, the members of this convention be at liberty at their pleasure to smoke in the Convention Chambers, while the house is sitting and proceeding on business.”
As already stated the village of Kingston was incorporated April 6, 1805. From a copy of the Ulster Gazette, April 13, 1806, we find the following “Ordinance for Regulating the Firemen in the village of Kingston and other purposes therein mentioned.” Every fireman was required to furnish himself with a “Leather Hat, painted white, which they shall wear whenever in any case they may attend as firemen.” The penalty for the violation was five dollars.
“And be it further ordained, That every firewarden shall furnish himself with a ward pole painted white, at least one inch and a half in diameter, and seven feet long, which he shall always carry with him while performing any of the duties enjoined by this or any former ordinance.”
“And be it further ordained, That if any person shall in any of the streets, yards or gardens within this village, have in his mouth a pipe with lighted tobacco or a lighted segar, he shall for every such offense forfeit and pay the sum of one dollar. And every person shall be subject to a like penalty who shall carry fire in the street, unless it be in some well covered vessel or other thing.”
In the same paper is an ordinance imposing a find of twenty dollars on any person who should “case any substance of any nature or kind whatsoever in the creeks leading into Benjamin Borgardus's mill dam.” The same paper contains an advertisement for the sale of “A healthy, active Negro Wench about eleven years old. Also one about 27 years old who understands all kinds of housework.”
From an article in the Rondout Courier, Dec. 13, 1870, entitled “Rondout Forty Years Ago,” we learn that the thriving village contained but forty buildings in 1828.
“The residence of Hon. Abraham Hasbrouck stood in what is now Garden street, between the site of the post office building and a row of Sycamore trees along the front of Mr. Jansen Hasbrouck's premises. Not far from the Hasbrouck house, on the site of the Masonic Hall building, was a large white house afterwards destroyed by fire, a part of which only was occupied by a man named Brink, (better known in those days as 'Brinkie,') who was a pilot of the sloop Martin Wynkoop, which vessel, with the sloop Albert Gallitin, formed the freight and passenger line to and from New York. Across Division street from where Brink lived, somewhat in the rear of the present Mansion House, stood the residence of Marjor Swart, who had been a member of the State Legislature. This house was on the first of May 1832, opened by James S. McEntee, as a hotel, and called the mansion House, being the first hotel opened in Rondout and was for many years the only one. About where the Thomas Cornell's storehouse now stands was a stone building in which John D. Middah kept store. The building was erected by Major Swart who was something of an original. Mr. Middah afterwards occupied the old stone store at the foot of Division street and in which H. Roosa, John Stratton, R. Acly, M.C. More and R. Deyo were young clerks. In the block where Sherer's and Samson's buildings now stand were two old stone buildings, one of which was occupies as a store by Alexander Snyder and the other by Matthew Ten Eyck. These two buildings were burned in 1830 and were supposed to have been set on fire purposely by Snyder. Where Romer and Tremper's storehouse now are, were the old red and yellow storehouses of Mr. A. Hasbrouck and from which the freighting was done. The 'yellow store' still stands with some additions and a coat of lead colored paint. On the corner of Ferry and Division streets where Rouse's store now is, was a little brick office which Major Swart occupied and afterwards Captain Edward Duydam used for a tailor shop and post office. Not far from the mansion House, on what is now Lackawana street, was an old stone building which the Del. & Hudson Canal Co. used for an office until the built the stone office which was torn down some years since. The original office building, after the Company vacated it, was occupied as a dwelling by James Murray, the father of the 'Murray Boys,' who was that noblest of God's works, an honest man, and set good examples which have made the sons such estimable citizens. On the site of the buildings directly back of Mr. Jansen Hasbrouck's house and grounds, stood the great comfortable, roomy old barns of his father, and below the rock-cut of the Rondout & Oswego Railroad, on which is now Hasbrouck avenue, stood the old red grist mill, and opposite to it, in a corner of Mr. Hasbrouck's present garden, was the long, low, old stone farm house in which lived his father's farmer and miller, and in which was held the first church service performed in the village and where met the first Sunday School. On the bank opposite P. McGivney's, between Division and Adams streets, was a small frame house, know then as the Van Gassbeck House, but in more recent days as the George Adams House. It has since been removed. These buildings composed the Strand or Kingston Landing, as the settlement was called from 1828 to 1829. In 1832 the first school house was erected at the foot of Wurts street, on a ledge of rocks. Only $300 could be raised by district tax, but $200 more were subscribed and the building made large enough to hold divine service in. The first church edifice erected in the village was the Presbyterian, which was completed in 1835, but has since been enlarged. There was no road along the creek from Rondout to Eddyville until 1835 or '36; previous to that time, to drive to Eddyville, a person was compelled to go to Kingston, thence nearly to the Greenkill, where the mountain was crossed, and to Eddyville on the townpath.”
The first church in Rondout was
The Presbyterian, organized in 1833; Rev. E.D. Ledyard is the pastor.
The Methodist Church has a membership of 386. Their house of worship was erected in 1867; it will seat 600 and its estimated value is $45,000. The parsonage, on an adjoining lot, is valued at $8,000. James Y. Bates is the pastor.
The First Baptist Church was organized Feb. 7, 1842. The first house of worship was erected in 1843; the present house in 1859; it will seat 400 and is valued at $25,000. The present membership is 215; James Cooper is the pastor.
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church was organized about 1835, and a house of worship erected soon after. Rev. Philip O'Reilly was the first pastor. The present house of worship was erected in 1849; it will seat about 1,100 and, with the grounds, is worth $75,000. The membership is over 4,000. Rev. James Coyle is the pastor. The pastor's house is a fine brick structure, opposite the church, and, with the lots attached is worth $15,000.
St. Mary's Parochial School, in connection with the Church, was built in 1867; value $25,000. About 700 pupils attended during the last year.
The Ponkhockie, or Children's Church, was erected by the Newark Lime and Cement Co., for the Union Sunday School and for religious services in that part of the village. There is no church organization in connection with it, and it is open to all without regard to sect. It is of cement concrete, cost about $12,000, and will seat 400. It was furnished by the community. Its takes the place of the Tomkins Chapel, erected by Mr. Calvin Tomkins, the pioneer of the cement works.
The Congregation Emanuel (Jewish) was organized in 8153 with twelve members. Rev. ____ Issacs was the first pastor. Their present house of worship was purchased of the Methodists, and consecrated Aug. 16, 1861. It will seat 200 and is valued at $4,000. The present membership is 40; the present pastor is Rev. David Wolf.
The Reformed Church of the Comforter, Wiltwyck, was organized in 1863 by the Classis of Ulster, with 13 members. Through the instrumentality of Henry H. Reynolds, a small chapel was erected several years previous to the organization of the Church, for Sunday School and Union services. It was soon after regularly supplied through the Board of Domestic Missions, by Rev. Abraham Fort. In 1864 a larger house was erected, and under the pastoral care of Rev. W.A. Shaw, the society has prospered. Their present house cost about $3,000 and will seat 200.
The Methodist Church of Eddyville was organized between 1830 and 1840. They are now erecting a brick edifice at a cost of $8,000; it will seat 400. The present membership is 70; Rev. Joel Croft is the present pastor.
The Reformed Church of Kingston, was the first organized in this town. From “Documentary history of N.Y.,” we learn that Dominie Selyns preached here in 1600, and the same year Rev. Hermanus Blom was sent out from Amsterdam to be the pastor of the Church. In 1712, Petrus Vas, minister of the Protestant Reformed Dutch Church of Kingston, Jacob Ansen, Wessel Ten Broek, Jacob DuBois, elders and Jacobus Elmendorf, Garret Wyncoop, Hendrick Pruym and Wm. Elten, deacons, petitioned Governor Hunter for a charter of incorporation under the name of “The Minister, Elders, and Deacons of the Protestant Reformed Dutch Church of the town of Kingston, in the County of Ulster.” The Council reported favorable with the condition that the “Rents of Lands and Tenements to be held by them shall not exceed the sum of three hundred dollars per annum.” In 1719 the Council reported in favor of granting them a patent of land for the Cemetery, under a yearly “quit-rent of one Peper Corn if demanded.” Rev. David N. Van Deveer is the present pastor.
The Second Reformed Church, Kingston, was organized in 1849. Rev. C.H. Stitt, D.D., is the pastor.
The First Methodist Church, Kingston, was organized in 1824 or 1825. Rev. A. Ostrander is the pastor.
The Second Methodist Church, Kingston, was organized in 1855. Rev. C.H. Knapp is the pastor.
The Baptist Church, Kingston, was organized in 1832. Rev. Z. Grennell, Jr., is the pastor.
St. John's Episcopal Church, Kingston, was organized in 1832. Rev. Marion McAllister is the pastor.
Washington Lodge, No. 21, Ancient Jewish Order of Kesher Shel Barsel, was organized by J. Phillip, S. Weiner and others, Feb. 22, 1870, and numbers 45 members. It meets at old Odd Fellow's Hall, on alternate Sundays. This is a secret order and has links in every State of the Union. There are two districts, the Atlantic and the Pacific, the Mississippi River forming the boundary between them. It is a Benefit Society, and in case of sickness, a member of a lodge receives from two to eight dollars per week, and on the decease of a member, his heirs are entitled to a thousand dollars, which is collected from each lodge in the district.
The Ancient Order of Free and Accepted Masons was instituted in Kingston several years prior to the Revolutionary War and held regular communications until 1777, when the village was burned by the British. Livingston Lodge, No. 23, was organized in 1790, and John Addison was installed Master. On the 26th of December, 1805, the warrant under which the Lodge was working was surrendered. August 29, 1808, Kingston Lodge, No. 23, was organized at the house of Evert Bogardus. In 1821 the number of the Lodge was changed from 23 to 20, and continued to hold regular meetings until 1829, and occasional meetings until December 26, 1833, since which no records of its proceedings have been found. The Lodge ceased working on account of the feeling excited through the State in consequence of the Morgan abduction. Nov. 13, 1850, the charter of Kingston Lodge, No. 20, was renewed, with the number changed to 10, and John Van Buren, who was Master of the Lodge when it suspended, was the first Master under the renewed charter. From 1850 to 1870, 4459 masons had been made in Kingston Lodge No. 10, of whom 313 were in good standing at the latter date. The information contained in this article was taken from “History of Free Masonry in Kingston, N.Y., by Henry D. Baldwin.”
The population of the town of Kingston in 1870 was 21,914, and its area 27,002 acres, with an assessed value of $2,741,185.