History of Marbletown, NY
FROM: Gazetteer and Business Directory
Of Ulster County, N. Y. For 1872-2.
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child, Syracuse, NY 1871
MARBLETOWN, named from the abundance of limestone, was formed by patent, June 25, 1703. It was first recognized as a town, March 7, 1788. A part of Olive was taken off in 1823, and a part of Rosendale in 1844. It lies near the geographical center of the County. The surface is a hilly upland, broken by the valleys of the streams. Stone Ridge, near the center, about 400 feet above tide, is the highest land in town. Esopus Creek flows through the north part, and Rondout Creek through the south-east corner. The soil is chiefly a clay and sandy loam. A quarry of Shawangunk grit has been opened, and a sulphur spring has been discovered near Rosendale.
Stone Ridge, (p.v.) situated a little east of the center of the town, contains three churches, viz., Reformed, Methodist and Episcopal; two hotels, four stores, four blacksmith shops, three carriage shops, a cabinet shop, three undertakers, a tailor shop, a boot and shoe shop, a tin shop, several other mechanics of various kinds, and about 450 inhabitants.
High Falls (p.v.) is situated on the Delaware and Hudson Canal, in the east part of the town, and contains two churches, two hotels, five stores, a tin shop, two meat markets, a grist mill, a bakery, an extensive cement manufactory and about 400 inhabitants. A large amount of blue stone flagging is shipped upon the canal at this point.
Kripple Bush (p.v.) contains a Reformed church, two stores, a carriage shop, a blacksmith shop, two cooper shops and about a dozen dwellings.
Lyonsville is a hamlet containing a church, two hotels and a grocery. There are several extensive stone quarries in the immediate vicinity.
By reference to Documentary History, we find that a settlement was made in this town as early as 1669. The patent of land was granted in 1703, to Col. Henry Beekman, Capt. Thomas Gaston and Capt. Charles Brodhead, in trust for the inhabitants. Trustees were annually elected until 1808. The records of 1703 contain the names of the following petitioners for grants of land, viz: Mosys DuPuy, Thomas Vandemarke, Leondert Kool, Richard Wilson, Jeremy Kettell, Jr., Gysbert Roosa, Wm. Nottingham, John Cook, Sen. and Capt. Richard Brodheard. In 1728 we find the names of fifty freeholders in the town.
The Reformed Church was organized in 1738. In 1741, the society raised £36 14s. for preaching one third of the time, Rev. J.C. Reyenmoet supplying this place, Rochester, New Paltz and Shawangunk.
The Reformed Church of the Clove was organized in 1807 by the Classis of Ulster, and consisted of 50 members. The first pastor was Rev. James Murphy. Their present house of worship was erected in 1866; it will seat 400 and is valued at $8,000. The present membership is 138; the present pastor Rev. N.H. Van Arsdale.
The Methodist Church of Kripple Bush was organized in 1857 by Ananias Ackerly, with 30 members. Their house of worship was erected in 1856; it will seat 240 and is valued at $1,500. The present membership is 110; the pastor is Rev. Charles Gorse.
The population of the town in 1870 was 4,224, and its area 30,146 acres, with an assessed valued of $698,825.
There are 14 school districts, employing 16 teachers. The number of children of school age is 1,638; the number attending school, 1,116; the average attendance, 420, and the value of school houses and sites, $10,278.