History of Marlborough, NY
FROM: Gazetteer and Business Directory
Of Ulster County, N. Y. For 1872-2.
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child, Syracuse, NY 1871
MARLBOROUGH was formed as a precinct, from Newburgh Precinct, March 12, 1772, and as a town, March 7, 1788. Plattekill was taken off in 1800. It lies upon the Hudson, in the south-east corner of the County. The surface is broken and hilly. Marlborough Mountain is a rocky ridge along the west border, about 1,000 feet above the river. The streams are principally small brooks flowing into the Hudson. The soil is a slaty loam. It is estimated that half a million dollars are expended for berries in this town in a single season.
Marlborough, (p.v.) is situated at the head of a deep rocky gorge, opening down towards the Hudson, and contains three churches, two hotels, two wagon and blacksmith shops, two factories for the manufacture of berry cups, a paper mill, three grist mills, about half a dozen stores and about 800 inhabitants. It is a flourishing village and has increased rapidly during the last few years.
Milton, (p.v.) in the north-east part of the town, on the Hudson, contains five churches, viz., Methodist, Presbyterian, Episcopal, Orthodox and Hicksite Friends, two hotels, eight stores, two grist mills, a foundry, a berry cup and peach basket manufactory, a wheelbarrow manufactory, a lumber and coal yard, three cooper shops, a savings bank and about 1,000 inhabitants.
The Milton Savings Bank was organized June 1, 1871. Leonard S. Carpenter, president; Jesse Lyons, 1st vice-president; William H. Gedney, 2d vice-president; Ethan Parrott, secretary.
Lattingtown is a pleasant village near the center of the town, and contains two churches, a blacksmith shop, a wagon shop and about twenty dwellings.
The town was settled at an early day, but at what precise time is not known. In an old burying ground at Lattingtown, in what is now known as W.W. Mackey's orchard, is a gravestone with this inscription:
“In memory of Joseph Carpenter, First settler of this place and planter of this orchard, departed this life July 11, 1766, aged, 61 years, 3 months and 6 days.”
This was quite a thriving place before the settlements were made on the river. There are several houses in the town, built previous to the Revolution. One about half a mile north of the village of Marlborough, was built by Major Louis DuBois. Previous to the Revolution he held the commission of Lieutenant in the Colonial army, but when the separation took place, he adhered to his country and served as Major. His house was not far from the river, and during Vaughan's expedition, when Kingston was burnt, it was pointed out by the “Cow Boys,” and hot shot were through at it, but to no effect. The house is still standing and was newly shingled during the last summer, the first time in the memory of the oldest inhabitants. The shingles taken off were the old fashioned three feet cedar shingles. The present owner is Mr. Samuel Harris. The Exchange Hotel, of Marlborough, is a relic of a past generation. It has been rebuilt, but four of the rooms remain the same as during the Revolution.
Captain Anning Smith was one of the first settlers of this town. His house, which is now standing, is situated about half a mile north of the village of Milton; it was built in 1770, and was a target for the British composing Vaughan's expedition up the Hudson in 1777. The premises are now occupied by two grandsons of the original proprietor, Messrs. Clark and L. Harrison Smith.
The first church was organized January 1, 1764. From a “Centennial Discourse,” delivered by Rev. S.M. Jagger, June 3, 1864, we gather important facts. The Records of the Church open as follows:
“A Register of the Proceedings of Stephen Case and John Woolsey, first Trustees of the Marlborough Society and of their successors, begun the first day of January 1764.”
A subscription for building a house of worship had been started August 8, 1763.
“We the subscribers, for an encouragement towards building a meeting house for the worship of God, near the Old Man's Creek in Ulster County, to be founded on the Presbyterian foundation and Government of the Kirk of Scotland, do promise for ourselves, heirs and assigns, to pay on demand the following sums annexed to our names to those that are trustees of said building, providing that Lewis Dubois does give two acres of land to remain for that use forever.”
The subscription list contains fifty-one names, and the sums range from fifteen pounds to four shillings, amounting in all to seventy-three pounds and two shillings. The first names on the list are Stephen Case and John Woolsey. On the 15th of April 1764, Lewis Dubois conveyed to John Woolsey and Stephen Case, two acres of land, but the society thinking that one a half acres was enough, reconveyed half an acre to the donor. The motive of the donor is stated to be:
“For that paternal love he hath for and towards the propagation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, agreeable to the Articles of the Kirk of Scotland in the Presbyterian Faith.”
It was to be used:
“To build a meeting house on, and for a burying yard, for the use, benefit and advantage of the said Marlborough society and their heirs forever.”
The conditions were that the deed should be void if the society should settle any other pastor than one who should maintain the articles of religion of the Kirk of Scotland, agreeable to the Confession of Faith. The first house of worship, erected the same year, was 35 by 25 feet, and cost about one hundred and seventeen pounds. The first sermon in it was delivered by Charles Jeffrey Smith, August 26, 1764. The first burial in the church yard was March 3d of the same year. The first pastor was Rev. Abner Brush. The first sacramental service was held April 23, 1775, by Rev. Nathan Kerr. The society was not legally organized until April 6, 1784, when the following persons were chosen as Trustees: Anning Smith, Jonathan Brown, Michael Wygant, Isaac Fowler, Jr., Reuben Tooker, Nathaniel Dubois, Daniel Kelsey, Samuel Stratton and Wolvert Ecker, Esq. In March 1786 the sum of $400 was raised by subscription, to pay for preaching in Marlborough and some convenient place in New Paltz. The Trustees
Resolved, That no Baptist or Separate minister be allowed or admitted to preach, in the Meeting House, under any pretence whatever, without the joint and mutual consent of the trustees or a majority of them for the time being.”
The whole number admitted to the Church from its organization to 1808, was seventy-one, of whom fifty-three were still members. A revival occurred in 1811 and 1812 by which 116 members were added to the Church. Their house of worship was greatly enlarged about this time. The first Ruling Elders in 1810 were Charles Millard, Leonard Smith, Allen Lester, Andrew Ely and Nathaniel Bailey. In 1827 the congregation became separated from that of Paltz, and the pastor's labors confined to Marlborough. IN 1842 Rev. S.M. Jagger was installed over the Church, and on the 26th of June, 1867, he delivered a Quarter Century Discourse and celebrated his Silver Wedding. In 1869 their house of worship was burned, and their present house erected the next year, at a cost of $33,000. It will seat 500 and with other Church property is valued at $40,000. Rev. Charles W. Cooper is the present pastor.
Christ Church was organized February 27, 1837, by Rev. Robert Shaw, the first pastor. Their house of worship was erected the next year. The present house was erected in 1858; it will seat 220 and cost $7,000. A convenient parsonage, adjoining the church, was erected in 1862 at a cost of $3,000. The present number of communicants is 37; the present pastor is Rev. S.W. Akaly.
The Presbyterian Church of Milton was organized July 12, 1841, by a committee of the North River Presbytery, and consisted of 20 members. Rev. M.F. Liebenau was the first pastor. The house of worship was erected about 1846; it will seat 250 and its present value is about $5,000. The present membership is 72; the present pastor is Rev. J.H. Myers, D.D.
All Saints Episcopal Church, of Milton, was organized Dec. 24, 1849, with two communicants. Rev. Samuel Hawksley was the first pastor. Their house of worship was erected in 1859 and will seat about 200. The present number of communicants is twenty. Rev. James W. Sparks is the present pastor. The Parish lost its pastor and founder in 1859, and from that date to 1870 had no resident rector. Services were maintained during the summer months by Rev. S.M. Akaly.
The population of the town in 1870 was 2,974, and its area 14, 680 acres, with an assessed value of $379,811.
There are eight school districts, employing nine teachers. The number of children of school age is 1,033; number attending school, 631; the average attendance 246; value of school property $11,300.