History of Plattekill, NY
FROM: Gazetteer and Business Directory
Of Ulster County, N. Y. For 1872-2.
Compiled and Published By Hamilton Child, Syracuse, NY 1871
PLATTEKILL was formed from Marlborough, March 21, 1800. A part of Shawangunk was annexed April 3, 1846, but was restored march 28, 1848. It lies upon the south border of the County. The surface is broken by a series of ridges of an average elevation of 300 feet above the valleys. Its streams are small brooks and creeks. The soil is a fine quality of sandy and gravelly loam.
Plattekill, (p.v.) in the south part of the town, contains two churches, vix., Methodist and Friends, the Presbyterian church not being occupied at present; a store, a blacksmith shop, a butcher shop and about thirty dwellings.
Clintondale, (p.v.) on the north border, contains a church, two stores, a blacksmith shop, a wagon shop, an undertaker and about twenty dwellings.
Modena, (p.v.) in the north-west part, contains a Methodist church, a hotel, a store, a meat market, a clacksmith and wagon shop, and about a dozen dwellings.
Fruit is largely cultivated in this town, especially grapes. Mr. Alexander Palmer, residing about a mile and a half east of Modena, is cultivating the Concord grape quite extensively, and has a factory for preserving fruit, vegetables and meat by evaporation. The building is 30 by 60 feet, with a steam engine and other machinery capable of preserving a large amount of fruit during the season. Preserved by this process, the fruit retains all its original flavor and color, and is superior in many respects to canned fruit. By this process fresh fruit can be had at all seasons of the year.
The Modena Rural Cemetery is located about one-fourth of a mile north of the village; it is beautifully laid out and contains eight and a half acres. It is managed by an association of which Thaddeus Hait is president; Ira Eltinge, secretary; Oscar Hasbrouck, treasurer. It was dedicated in July 1870, and its cost is about $3,300.
The settlement of this town was commenced about the beginning of the last century. “Spafford's Gazetteer,” 1813, says: “It is a good township of farming land and has little to invite minute detail. The inhabitants are principally famers of plain economical habits, and much of their clothing is the product of the household wheel and loom. There are 109 looms in families which annually make about 25,000 yards of cloth for common clothing. Its agriculture is rapidly improving though still inferior to that of the farming towns of Dutchess County, on the opposite side of the river.”
The Reformed Church of New Hurley was organizedi n 1770 by Rev. D. Romeyn. The original records were kept in Dutch. The first pastor was Rev. Stephen Goetchius. The first house of worship was erected in 1774; the present house in 1835, at a cost of $4,500. It has since been remodeled and will now seat 600, and is valued at $7,000. The membership is 161.
The population of the town in 1870 was 2,031, and its area 21,140 acres, wtiha n assessed value of $377,258.
There are nine school districts, employing the same number of teachers. The number of children of school age is 699; the number attending school, 528; the average attendance, 199; the value of school houses and sites, $5,870.